Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah his writing could be pretty dry. I didn't read too many of his books, I think I read like...3 or 4 of them? I don't remember much beyond the character that Jade (From Johnny Mnemonic) was based on. She was more of a recurring character in his novels than anyone else. The cybernetic street samurai.
Three books in the Sprawl Trilogy. I just looked up and most people prefer the first book over the two sequels. Apparently the sequels are harder to follow because of multiple narratives and sub-plots. I can't even imagine trying to read the sequels, because I had a super difficult time following the story of the first book.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Three books in the Sprawl Trilogy. I just looked up and most people prefer the first book over the two sequels. Apparently the sequels are harder to follow because of multiple narratives and sub-plots. I can't even imagine trying to read the sequels, because I had a super difficult time following the story of the first book.
I vaguely recall following it fine, but I read it back in like the 90s so details are fuzzy. I remember not being terribly impressed with his work as a whole. Like I appreciated he was the grandfather of the genre, but I definitely found the games like Shadowrun and Cyberpunk, that had been inspired by his work, to be more personally compelling.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Metal Gear Rising has the Gray Fox costume. So...there you go. It's either that or Ghostunner.

In fact, here are the list of cyberpunk games I own:
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Astral Chain
  • Gungrave
  • Sonic CD - In the future levels if you're in Stardust Speedway or Metallic Madness.
  • Vanquish

I used to own Binary Domain, but I lost interest. It's as close as you are going to get to a Snatcher remake or sequel.

I played Rising already back in the day of course, Raiden was really cool but Gray Fox has a more...I guess eerie thing to him? I think he fits a cyberpunk rpg more whereas Rising was more like an over the top anime style action affair. Great game if a bit too short.

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
Yeah the fans gave up any and all actual power they had when the pre-ordered it by the hundreds of thousands. And as much as gamers bark and yowl over shit, they have no bite whatsoever. They'd never cancel a pre-order or not buy the newest game launch week
Is there a "scientific" explanation for this? It's not like there's a limited number of physical copies.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Is there a "scientific" explanation for this? It's not like there's a limited number of physical copies.
Why people pre-order? Because they've been taught for years it proves your loyalty to something, and thus any quality of that thing reflects the quality of the buyer.
Why game companies sell pre-orders? Because they need the money to finish the game

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Why people pre-order? Because they've been taught for years it proves your loyalty to something, and thus any quality of that thing reflects the quality of the buyer.
Why game companies sell pre-orders? Because they need the money to finish the game
Nah I just preorder cause you either get a gift of sorts when you do (I love me some of those bonus artbooks and other trinkets) or it's a game I know 1000% I'll want to play so it just is literally more convenient to have the game preloaded.

I don't think it's odd to preorder as long as you do it occasionally and not on just absolutely everything you get. I've definitely never been burned on a preorder where I felt I shouldn't have in dozens of games either.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
There's a lot of site that will give discount on some game if you pre order it, for really big game some website will actually take a small loss on on the sale in the hope that the customer will come back now that they've made an account and trust the website.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, companies don't get money from preorders, but it does give them benefit since helps them figure out how many units they will sell at launch and how many units to send to different stores and such. At least it did back in the day, with digital distrabution I'm not sure of the benefit to them aside from the fact most people don't cancel preorders.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah why would you preorder a digital copy of a game? It just doesn't make sense.
The ability to preaload, sometimes there are some extras, sometimes someone owes you money and getting a game instead is easier.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
There's nothing wrong with pre-ordering a game, you're interested in. Pre-ordering a game over a year before it's a game yet though...

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, the most entertaining thing so far off the twitter trend is that there's apparently 6 penis options and only one vagina (I"m guessing this is Conan Exiles rules probably, and the female option is for breast shapes)

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Ghost in the Shell still might tickle your pickle, especially the show Stand Alone Complex, because they frame it more as a police procedural/espionage thriller inside a cyberpunk setting. Yes the place is littered with cyborgs and AI and other stuff but it’s usually the vehicle by which crime and spy stuff happens.

And honestly, if you like Alita there’s a good chance you’ll like Motoko. At least in the anime movies and series.
Ghost in the Shell is one of the very few highly rated animes that not only is actually good but really good too. I like the show better than the movies actually. I almost upgraded my DVD set to blu-ray Black Friday but the reviews said the blu-ray releases isn't very good. I got Batman TAS on blu-ray instead.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ghost in the Shell still might tickle your pickle, especially the show Stand Alone Complex, because they frame it more as a police procedural/espionage thriller inside a cyberpunk setting. Yes the place is littered with cyborgs and AI and other stuff but it’s usually the vehicle by which crime and spy stuff happens.

And honestly, if you like Alita there’s a good chance you’ll like Motoko. At least in the anime movies and series.
As much as I like Ghost in the Shell, I feel like it should be pointed out that it's protagonists would be the bad guys in most Cyberpunk games. Maybe not the primary ones: Section 13 isn't a Corp, but it's a "Let them fight" situation when they run up against a Corp

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I totally don't get pre-orders either. I'll pre-order a smaller release a few days beforehand if I really want to play it at release because I don't have faith Best Buy will have a copy if I don't. I usually couldn't care less about pre-order bonuses either. I ended up with a copy of the "launch edition" of Ghost of Tsushima and didn't even realize it came with a code to get some extra trinkets and ended up probably getting a few bucks more when I sold it on eBay because I didn't use the code.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I definitely found the games like Shadowrun and Cyberpunk, that had been inspired by his work, to be more personally compelling.
Similar to me. You had either games or movies that are way more interesting or compelling:
  • Robocop - Originally supposed to be a Judge Dredd film, but they could not get the rights. Murphy ended up being an expy and it is noticable.
  • Bladerunner
  • Akira
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Oni - Bungie was heavily influenced by Ghost in the Shell.
  • Judge Dredd
  • The Matrix
  • Fear Effect
  • Minority Report
  • Timesplitters
  • Final Fantasy VII
I can go all day with the cyberpunk I've seen or played before reading Neuromancer.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
As much as I like Ghost in the Shell, I feel like it should be pointed out that it's protagonists would be the bad guys in most Cyberpunk games. Maybe not the primary ones: Section 13 isn't a Corp, but it's a "Let them fight" situation when they run up against a Corp
I'm kinda tired of cyberpunk hyper focus on anarchy so I quite liked that ghost in the shell isn't about scrapy anarchist taking out the evil corp (although at the same time you could claim that if it's not punk it can't be cyberpunk). Company/govenement in GiTS aren't cartoonishly evil which is nice for a change (if I do end up playing cyberpunk I'll totally play corp, hopefully that's not just the mustachio twirling evil playtrough). If anyone want more japenes cyberpunk, check out the appleseed manga, by the same game guy who made the ghost in the shell manga (which is pretty different from the anime/movie).

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I'm kinda tired of cyberpunk hyper focus on anarchy so I quite liked that ghost in the shell isn't about scrapy anarchist taking out the evil corp (although at the same time you could claim that if it's not punk it can't be cyberpunk). Company/govenement in GiTS aren't cartoonishly evil which is nice for a change (if I do end up playing cyberpunk I'll totally play corp, hopefully that's not just the mustachio twirling evil playtrough). If anyone want more japenes cyberpunk, check out the appleseed manga, by the same game guy who made the ghost in the shell manga (which is pretty different from the anime/movie).
Your backgrounds seem to only affect some dialogue options where you know different things, it's not something that would affect how the game turns out. Think of it as your origin in dragon age, it gives you a bit of flavor and the first quest you do is unique but it's mostly the same beyond that mark.