Your video game hot take(s) thread

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
To end on a lighter note Dungeon Defenders classic was some of the best cooperative online experience I have ever experienced and few games will come close to that experience.
You know, I did play Dungeon Defenders once and a while online, but Lag + People suck = Hi Single Player!

But once Dungeon Defenders Awakened comes on Switch, I will become a Zombie. I'm saying my pre-emptive goodbyes now.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I’ve only spent maybe 20% of my play time in actual combat though including online, and that being generous. I think that’s a big part of the problem people have with it. If you’re just looking for a slick TPS then sure, you could do better with any number of other games. On the other hand, I’m not sure how advanced gameplay or gunfights are supposed to look and feel for a Wild West simulator, when many of the best movies it’s taken inspiration from aren’t all that much different.

It’s always depended on the type of game I’m playing for what I expect to get out of it. Some are more for combat like any number of fighting games or action games, while others are more for exploration and story like The Witcher 3 or A Wolf Among Us. I’d say I appreciate the escapism of RDR2 perhaps more than anything, as it’s like stepping into a time and place that doesn’t exist anymore. Playing for the sake of merely beating it or expecting snappy combat mechanics is missing the point and would feel like a waste, next to other games where that is the point. There aren’t many other games that have youtube clips titled “100 best moments” and then the comments are filled with more, because its world design - which is separate from the on-rails mission design - can support them when simply roaming around to see what happens.

You asked how anyone could like any Rockstar game, and this gives an idea why -

While I don’t agree with everything in this video, as it sounds like his experience with games is limited, I wouldn’t say he’s flat out wrong if it works for him either.
I'm guessing pretty much all the missions have you go to a spot and shoot a bunch of people still? That's how RDR1 was. Sure you're probably not actually shooting people even a majority of the time a mission takes place because of Rockstar likes doing exposition and dialogue dumps while making you travel across the map constantly. But that isn't what I'd consider interesting gameplay as they can literally just have a cutscene accomplish that on every mission and it wouldn't change anything.

I'm all for non-combat gameplay, I'm tired of doing the same thing over and over again but ever-so-slightly differently. There's far more meaningful interactions you can have in a game than reducing an enemy's HP bar, but devs rarely focus on that kind of thing because combat is far easier and rather binary. It's why Gamedec is my most anticipated game. From what I've seen about RDR2, they introduced quite a bit of role-playing aspects like interacting with people and your gang but from what I can tell those interactions don't have much meaning to them. I recall a reviewer saying you can totally ignore the gang and nothing changes. I also can't stand Dan Houser's writing in RDR1 and MP3 so I doubt I'd enjoy the characters/narrative much.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'll second (third?) that gameplay is more important than story, even if I put a lot of emphasis on the latter. There's plenty of games with sparse stories I can enjoy, but there aren't many games where story alone makes up for poor gameplay.

Resident Evil 4 is the best Resident Evil. Take out the cutscene QTEs and it's a perfect game.
I don't think many people would disagree with that, least the first part. Obviously there's some purists out there, and RE4 did start a shift that culminated with RE6, but go to any Resident Evil ranking list, and you'll see RE4 at/near the top.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'll second (third?) that gameplay is more important than story, even if I put a lot of emphasis on the latter. There's plenty of games with sparse stories I can enjoy, but there aren't many games where story alone makes up for poor gameplay.

I don't think many people would disagree with that, least the first part. Obviously there's some purists out there, and RE4 did start a shift that culminated with RE6, but go to any Resident Evil ranking list, and you'll see RE4 at/near the top.

Enough people in this forum that I consider it a hot take.
And to be clear I think it's way better than the other fanbase darlings like RE1 or RE2.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
You know, I did play Dungeon Defenders once and a while online, but Lag + People suck = Hi Single Player!

But once Dungeon Defenders Awakened comes on Switch, I will become a Zombie. I'm saying my pre-emptive goodbyes now.
Even then it had couch co op so you could still get that dungeon building fun with other people. I am also waiting for awakened to drop on the Switch and the wait is killing me.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hot Take: Gameplay is largely unimportant. Best gameplay in the world cannot save a story so bad I don't care about it. But a good story can absolutely save bad gameplay
Yeah gotta disagree on that.

I'm not gonna play a game with terrible gameplay. If the story is good I might watch a lets play of it on youtube or something, but I'm not going to bother picking up a controller to play something that I'm going to hate playing just to see the story.

The best gameplay in the world absolutely can save a story that is so bad I don't care about it, because I think God Hand is awesome. Terrible story, terrible voice acting, terrible graphics and level design, and pretty homophobic, but holy shit the combat system is incredible.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm guessing pretty much all the missions have you go to a spot and shoot a bunch of people still? That's how RDR1 was. Sure you're probably not actually shooting people even a majority of the time a mission takes place because of Rockstar likes doing exposition and dialogue dumps while making you travel across the map constantly. But that isn't what I'd consider interesting gameplay as they can literally just have a cutscene accomplish that on every mission and it wouldn't change anything.

I'm all for non-combat gameplay, I'm tired of doing the same thing over and over again but ever-so-slightly differently. There's far more meaningful interactions you can have in a game than reducing an enemy's HP bar, but devs rarely focus on that kind of thing because combat is far easier and rather binary. It's why Gamedec is my most anticipated game. From what I've seen about RDR2, they introduced quite a bit of role-playing aspects like interacting with people and your gang but from what I can tell those interactions don't have much meaning to them. I recall a reviewer saying you can totally ignore the gang and nothing changes. I also can't stand Dan Houser's writing in RDR1 and MP3 so I doubt I'd enjoy the characters/narrative much.

Sure there’s a lot of missions involving shooting being a western game, but other examples are fishing with John’s kid, breaking or stealing horses, burning down a plantation’s field, getting everyone in a bar drunk, finishing a poker game for a drunk reverend before rescuing him off the train tracks, rescuing your ex gf’s brother from a cult, teaching a widower to hunt, building a house, or hell even shoveling shit in exchange for information. The side missions are often more interesting though, in terms of characters. Like meeting the pseudo Tesla figure and how all that plays out.

The game also leaves a lot unexplained though so it’s easy for most people to overlook some things as far as mechanics go

RDR2 has some of Rockstar’s best writing imo, as it foreshadows a lot of events for the original. It also seems to have the best examples of world building, which YouTuber’s like Strange Man have pretty much made a channel out of.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah gotta disagree on that.

I'm not gonna play a game with terrible gameplay. If the story is good I might watch a lets play of it on youtube or something, but I'm not going to bother picking up a controller to play something that I'm going to hate playing just to see the story.
Ditto. I ditched The Witcher because the controls were absolutely atrocious and it almost physically hurt to put up with them. I'm not going to suffer through bad gameplay for a story- for that kind of situation, I'll just watch a movie.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sure there’s a lot of missions involving shooting being a western game, but other examples are fishing with John’s kid, breaking or stealing horses, burning down a plantation’s field, getting everyone in a bar drunk, finishing a poker game for a drunk reverend before rescuing him off a train tracks, rescuing your ex gf’s brother from a cult, teaching a widower to hunt, building a house, or hell even shoveling shit in exchange for information. The side missions are often more interesting though, in terms of characters. Like meeting the pseudo Tesla figure and how all that plays out.

The game also leaves a lot unexplained though so it’s easy for most people to overlook some things as far as mechanics go

RDR2 has some of Rockstar’s best writing imo, as it foreshadows a lot of events for the original. It also seems to have the best examples of world building, which YouTuber’s like Strange Man have pretty much made a channel out of.
And of course, there's LENNNYNNNNNNNNNNNNNY!

Drunken Cowboy Line Dancing for the win.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Black Cat in the PS4 Spidey game is a real horrible person for what she did to Peter. She lied to him about having a child, let him believe it was his, just so she could string him along to steal stuff, for profit. And when she's found out, her response is just "teehee, oh silly Spider, I was just playing with you. No hard feelings! Buhbye!"

Fuck you, that's some really despicable shit right there.