What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The GTX 1070 is a damn powerful card. Not surprised it is kicking just about any current game out at 60 FPS 1080p. Might groan with some at 4K 30 FPS.

Internet was down this AM. Really weird as I got replies pinging Internet sites. EA wouldn't take my password. Yesterday it was Google. Strange goings on. While waiting for the fix, I loaded Resistance 3 onto my PS3 and got in some gaming. 1) looked very pretty for it's age. 2) Load times are not a thing of Gen 8 only. It took 1/2 an hour from putting in the disc to loading and then playing this thing on a super slim.

EDIT: A review

Oh please, the PS3 was even worse when it came to installing games, because there are games where you have to install ,then wait for it to copy the data, and then finally play it. I remember my first year in college when the fat PS3s were still a thing, and it's nearly took 45 minutes for Devil May Cry 4 to install. I was hanging out in somebody else's dorm. It took Ninja Garden Sigma about 25 minutes to install and load.

Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ace combat 7 - spent too long waiting on a deal that passed, so got this instead. All very exciting stuff. Except for that voice in my ear all the time that sounds exactly like the voice in my ear all the time in MGSV. Waiting on jpeg doggie to appear mainly. Not fond of buying what apparently is the complete edition only to find there's like 3 or 4 more plane content packs they'd very much like you to buy separately if you really want it complete.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ace combat 7 - spent too long waiting on a deal that passed, so got this instead. All very exciting stuff. Except for that voice in my ear all the time that sounds exactly like the voice in my ear all the time in MGSV. Waiting on jpeg doggie to appear mainly. Not fond of buying what apparently is the complete edition only to find there's like 3 or 4 more plane content packs they'd very much like you to buy separately if you really want it complete.
The only DLC I'd say is worth the purchase is the 3 mission "Alicorn" arc. It's basically a side campaign taking place in the middle of the main one but it's a lot of fun, but a bit harder then the main game

Never felt bothered by not buying extra planes. There's more then enough to unlock in the main tree and you'll probably end up using a couple that stand out anyway.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Dark Souls 3: I see a red door and I want to paint it dark (souls).

Dragonslayer armor is down. Turns out I had a sword in my inventory he was weak to and buffed that up a bunch and it made the fight so much easier(and finding the NPC summons also helped). Pretty much finished the Grand Archives. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's a very pretty area and a lot of interesting design that takes advantage of the buildings volume nicely and the one bonfire(just beyond the bridge bonfire, because of course it is), but the mini-boss is a giant PITA because you have to chase him down and there are lotsa enemies around who love to ambush you(Those thralls are like goddamn bats). Not quite to the end because I ran into an NPC gank squad near the top and I haven't figured out to take them down yet. So there's that.

Also, more or less finished the demon ruins and turned off the ballista. Finding couple black knights hanging out down there(who who knows how fucking long, depending how much Timey Wimey is in play down there) makes me wonder if I should feel sorry for the Knights for being stuck there or the demons for having those guys being stuck down there with them.

Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The only DLC I'd say is worth the purchase is the 3 mission "Alicorn" arc. It's basically a side campaign taking place in the middle of the main one but it's a lot of fun, but a bit harder then the main game

Never felt bothered by not buying extra planes. There's more then enough to unlock in the main tree and you'll probably end up using a couple that stand out anyway.
Ah, cheers, it did come with the extra missions and some other stuff fortunately, it's just I prefer to try and get a game in one single purchase without having to think about there being more content squirreled away behind more purchases as it just feels more "tidy" and manageable I guess. But is easily ignored if not missing much. It did come with the very first game though! Which could've done with some HD touching up on the subtitles to match the rest of the visuals. Not sure why those were abandoned.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I’m used to Dark Souls punishing me for making mistakes, but Dark Souls 3 is punishing me for also being a coward.

I stumbled upon my first Black Knight in the Road of Sacrifices; managed to sneak up behind him, but my sneaky two-handed attack did a pathetic amount of damaged, so I immediately knew I was outclassed. I ran past him and back out into the swamp, and of course, he gave chase. I “knew” he’d have a leash point, so without looking back, I hauled ass back to the Halfway Fortress bonfire. Once I was about halfway up the ramp near the bonfire, I noticed I didn’t hear his armor clanking behind me anymore, so I turned around to see him standing idle in the water, his aggro apparently reset. From the safety of the ramp, I sniped him with an arrow; he turned and started running towards the ramp, I ran, but he didn’t come up the ramp, rather he reset to the water. I sniped him again, same thing; I’d found his leash point! I sniped him again, and confident he couldn’t come up the ramp, I stayed there like a cocky prick as he proceeded to, of course, run up the ramp. I ran for my life towards the bonfire, but he was so close, I couldn’t risk stopping at the bonfire, so I ran past it and up the stairs towards the initial section of Road of Sacrifices, stopping short of aggroing the harpy-thingies in the next area. I turn around to see his aggro had reset… and he’s standing NEXT TO MY GODDAMN BONFIRE.

Had to waste a homeward bone and respawn all the damn enemies I’d just spent an hour meticulously killing in this area, particularly those “Psycho Christ” guys; does FROM know DS3 isn’t Bloodbourne? Because those guys are eerily out of place…

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’m used to Dark Souls punishing me for making mistakes, but Dark Souls 3 is punishing me for also being a coward.

I stumbled upon my first Black Knight in the Road of Sacrifices; managed to sneak up behind him, but my sneaky two-handed attack did a pathetic amount of damaged, so I immediately knew I was outclassed. I ran past him and back out into the swamp, and of course, he gave chase. I “knew” he’d have a leash point, so without looking back, I hauled ass back to the Halfway Fortress bonfire. Once I was about halfway up the ramp near the bonfire, I noticed I didn’t hear his armor clanking behind me anymore, so I turned around to see him standing idle in the water, his aggro apparently reset. From the safety of the ramp, I sniped him with an arrow; he turned and started running towards the ramp, I ran, but he didn’t come up the ramp, rather he reset to the water. I sniped him again, same thing; I’d found his leash point! I sniped him again, and confident he couldn’t come up the ramp, I stayed there like a cocky prick as he proceeded to, of course, run up the ramp. I ran for my life towards the bonfire, but he was so close, I couldn’t risk stopping at the bonfire, so I ran past it and up the stairs towards the initial section of Road of Sacrifices, stopping short of aggroing the harpy-thingies in the next area. I turn around to see his aggro had reset… and he’s standing NEXT TO MY GODDAMN BONFIRE.

Had to waste a homeward bone and respawn all the damn enemies I’d just spent an hour meticulously killing in this area, particularly those “Psycho Christ” guys; does FROM know DS3 isn’t Bloodbourne? Because those guys are eerily out of place…
If you noticed, they took a lot of combat and enemy AI design from Bloodborne. DS3 is faster paced compared to 1 & 2.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you noticed, they took a lot of combat and enemy AI design from Bloodborne. DS3 is faster paced compared to 1 & 2.
I've not played Bloodborne, but have seen enough of it's imagery and gameplay to agree, DS3 is much faster than DS1 and 2, and DS3's Psycho Christ enemies definitely belong in BB. Come to think of it, another enemy that feels eerily out of place is the Fat Church Ladies that give fire hugs and smack me with their books (one day, I'll visit the wiki and find out what enemies are actually called; ) she's got that whole "Gothic Victorian" vibe that's prevalent throughout BB.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Dark Souls 3: I see a red door and I want to paint it dark (souls).

Dragonslayer armor is down. Turns out I had a sword in my inventory he was weak to and buffed that up a bunch and it made the fight so much easier(and finding the NPC summons also helped). Pretty much finished the Grand Archives. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's a very pretty area and a lot of interesting design that takes advantage of the buildings volume nicely and the one bonfire(just beyond the bridge bonfire, because of course it is), but the mini-boss is a giant PITA because you have to chase him down and there are lotsa enemies around who love to ambush you(Those thralls are like goddamn bats). Not quite to the end because I ran into an NPC gank squad near the top and I haven't figured out to take them down yet. So there's that.

Also, more or less finished the demon ruins and turned off the ballista. Finding couple black knights hanging out down there(who who knows how fucking long, depending how much Timey Wimey is in play down there) makes me wonder if I should feel sorry for the Knights for being stuck there or the demons for having those guys being stuck down there with them.
Did you manage to get the one glowie that’s hanging out on the edge of a roof outside, kinda where you go through one of the windows upstairs? I don’t think I ever found a way to get to it and kinda forgot. Then there were all those others scattered around that one rotunda with the big guys and little shits dive bombing you in between.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm playing Shadow Empire, because I can be paticularly masochistic about my wargaming. This is probably the hardest game to work out I have ever played: it has a mass of statistics and numbers everywhere which are barely explained, and a completely unintuitive and confounding UI which - if explored thoroughly - can bring you to tears with the clumsiness and horrific scope of data you have access to and barely any idea what any of it means. People in one of my cities are starving. I built them a farm, the city is producing twice as much food as it needs, and they're still starving. I don't know why, but there's probably a good(-ish) reason, not that I can for the life of me work out what it is.

It's actually pretty good, if you're willing to beat your head against a wall for long enough.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've not played Bloodborne, but have seen enough of it's imagery and gameplay to agree, DS3 is much faster than DS1 and 2, and DS3's Psycho Christ enemies definitely belong in BB. Come to think of it, another enemy that feels eerily out of place is the Fat Church Ladies that give fire hugs and smack me with their books (one day, I'll visit the wiki and find out what enemies are actually called; ) she's got that whole "Gothic Victorian" vibe that's prevalent throughout BB.
Evangelists are the enemies you're talking about. And yes, they can go fuck themselves hard with that giant club(mace?) Of thiers. I dread seeing them and try to kite if at all possible.

The ones on crosses are lycanthropes and they felt like bloodborne escapees to me too. Also damn annoying but not as bad as church ladies because lycanthropes are only in that one section. Church ladies, OTOH......

On the bright side, the Black Knights are few and far between and I think all of them are are optonal to fight(though one stands in your path to a hard to reach area in a later optional area). However, their Silver Cousins are not optional. And yeah, they're more annoying then they were before. Oh, have you ever wondered what it would be like if the Dragonbow Sliver Knights(yes, those ones) showed up in force with overlapping fields of fire? Well, good sir, FROM has you covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Did you manage to get the one glowie that’s hanging out on the edge of a roof outside, kinda where you go through one of the windows upstairs? I don’t think I ever found a way to get to it and kinda forgot. Then there were all those others scattered around that one rotunda with the big guys and little shits dive bombing you in between.

The one above the red eyed knight near the midpoint bridge? Saw that and no clue. Suspect I need to drop down from the roof somewhere but I'm done fighting/running from gargoyles on the roofs. It's probably something useless anyway, because from would totally bait you with something like that.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm playing Shadow Empire, because I can be paticularly masochistic about my wargaming. This is probably the hardest game to work out I have ever played: it has a mass of statistics and numbers everywhere which are barely explained, and a completely unintuitive and confounding UI which - if explored thoroughly - can bring you to tears with the clumsiness and horrific scope of data you have access to and barely any idea what any of it means. People in one of my cities are starving. I built them a farm, the city is producing twice as much food as it needs, and they're still starving. I don't know why, but there's probably a good(-ish) reason, not that I can for the life of me work out what it is.

It's actually pretty good, if you're willing to beat your head against a wall for long enough.
Oh is it just war, I though it was more of a 4x game. Disaponted : (

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Evangelists are the enemies you're talking about. And yes, they can go fuck themselves hard with that giant club(mace?) Of thiers. I dread seeing them and try to kite if at all possible.

The ones on crosses are lycanthropes and they felt like bloodborne escapees to me too. Also damn annoying but not as bad as church ladies because lycanthropes are only in that one section. Church ladies, OTOH......
Lycanthropes were pretty lethal but could be rushed down fairly easily. Evangelists were annoyingly spongey and too relentless with their spell readings/castings. The Lothric Red Knights were who put me on edge the most.

But nothing, nothing in DS3 can match the nightmare that are Winter Lanterns, aka Brain Trust, aka Dummmdeeedummm’s of Bloodborne. They can take their frenzy status and shove it where the moon don’t shine.

The one above the red eyed knight near the midpoint bridge? Saw that and no clue. Suspect I need to drop down from the roof somewhere but I'm done fighting/running from gargoyles on the roofs. It's probably something useless anyway, because from would totally bait you with something like that.
Yeah that’s probably where it was. It stood out because it was one of the only things I had no clue how to get to.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oh is it just war, I though it was more of a 4x game. Disaponted : (
Mm. Okay, to clarify, it is definitely a 4x game. You build up your economy, research tech, explore the environment and engage in diplomacy, spying, etc.

But it is very much done at at the level and with the style of a classic hex-based wargame, such as Gary Grigsby's War In The East.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Dark Souls 3: LIke a Dragon

I've made it to the top of Lothric castle, clearing the shortcuts all the way to the princes but I'm saving them for later. That bridge leading up to their room was giving me some major flashbacks of Demons Souls so I'm glad to have a way to bypass it, especially considering there's like 4 fucking Red Eyed Knights in the way(Nice of FROM to provide a shortcut practically to the boss door).

Did the Consumed Kings Garden. Ironically, I had a hell of a lot more problem with the two Knights guarding the Kings Door then the King himself.And yeah, I'm gonna say, one would think people would have learned by now not to mess around with Seethe's shit, because it never seems to end well. You either end up going insane and running around Naked(well, except your big hat) or Turning into a freaky Seethe Human(God?) Dragon Hybrid thing, among other awful things(Pretty much anything involving crystals is bad juju in a Souls game).

Untended Graves is a spoopy place and I decided to leave Champion Gundyr, the little Teapot himself, for later. Instead found my way to ArchDragon Peak and yep, that place is loads of fun. Sneke dudes everywhere and that whole Dragon fight, which at least was interesting even if it's easy to fuck yourself by going the wrong way. I also ended up having to run the whole thing twice because I did the plunging attack, missed the head and fell to my death, so yeah, that was fun :)

I also find it interesting how Archdragon peak is nice and sunny despite teleporting there just by meditating (at night, too) and the fact most of the game world(aside from firelink shrine and the boreal valley) has the whole foreboding sky thing going on.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Dark Souls 3: LIke a Dragon

I've made it to the top of Lothric castle, clearing the shortcuts all the way to the princes but I'm saving them for later. That bridge leading up to their room was giving me some major flashbacks of Demons Souls so I'm glad to have a way to bypass it, especially considering there's like 4 fucking Red Eyed Knights in the way(Nice of FROM to provide a shortcut practically to the boss door).

Did the Consumed Kings Garden. Ironically, I had a hell of a lot more problem with the two Knights guarding the Kings Door then the King himself.And yeah, I'm gonna say, one would think people would have learned by now not to mess around with Seethe's shit, because it never seems to end well. You either end up going insane and running around Naked(well, except your big hat) or Turning into a freaky Seethe Human(God?) Dragon Hybrid thing, among other awful things(Pretty much anything involving crystals is bad juju in a Souls game).

Untended Graves is a spoopy place and I decided to leave Champion Gundyr, the little Teapot himself, for later. Instead found my way to ArchDragon Peak and yep, that place is loads of fun. Sneke dudes everywhere and that whole Dragon fight, which at least was interesting even if it's easy to fuck yourself by going the wrong way. I also ended up having to run the whole thing twice because I did the plunging attack, missed the head and fell to my death, so yeah, that was fun

I also find it interesting how Archdragon peak is nice and sunny despite teleporting there just by meditating (at night, too) and the fact most of the game world(aside from firelink shrine and the boreal valley) has the whole foreboding sky thing going on.
Ohhh just wait. The cheery looking peak will turn Dark Soulsy soon enough. Can you guess for whom? Regardless, you’ll probably find a familiar foe relaxing (well, I guess that’s what his definition of standing idly waiting for trespassers to clobber would be), or perhaps grieving a macabre sight.

Also, I’m curious to hear what you think of Champ G. once you decide to do battle.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So far, I agree 100%. My first encounter with the one in the Undead Settlement, I managed to take her out relatively easily; she got off one fire hug and a cheap shot with the magic before I killed her. I didn't realize how powerful she wa until I respawned her and she smacked the shit out of me with that mace/staff, more than halving my health with a single shot. Now, whenever I hear that ominous, measured clanging of that mace/staff when one of them is pacing the area, my butthole puckers a tad.

Why lycanthropes? There's nothing remotely werewolf-like about them. Maybe the claws, but other than that, they're basically a crucifix on crack!

Oh, have you ever wondered what it would be like if the Dragonbow Sliver Knights(yes, those ones) showed up in force with overlapping fields of fire? Well, good sir, FROM has you covered.
I always thought that section of DS1 was an oversight, like, they intended it to be a challenge, but not the infamously soul-crushing brick wall gamers still talk about as one of the hardest parts of the game almost 10 years later. So they doubled down in DS3, huh? This does not bode well for me...

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Why lycanthropes? There's nothing remotely werewolf-like about them. Maybe the claws, but other than that, they're basically a crucifix on crack!

I always thought that section of DS1 was an oversight, like, they intended it to be a challenge, but not the infamously soul-crushing brick wall gamers still talk about as one of the hardest parts of the game almost 10 years later. So they doubled down in DS3, huh? This does not bode well for me...
If you get a close look at them, they have beastial features. Presumably they're turning into feral beasts like so many in the DS3 world.

Yeah, I didn't have much trouble with those guys in DS1 but there was a way to cheese them most people didn't know about(There's a spot on the butress you can hit them with arrows but they can't hit you because the arrows will always hit the little railing at your feet. Combine with poison arrows and you're as good as gold.). FROM realized their error and corrected for it....in spades.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, I didn't have much trouble with those guys in DS1 but there was a way to cheese them most people didn't know about(There's a spot on the butress you can hit them with arrows but they can't hit you because the arrows will always hit the little railing at your feet. Combine with poison arrows and you're as good as gold.).FROM realized their error and corrected for it....in spades.
I demand video evidence. Every YouTube video I looked up in the past, i.e.: searching "Dark Souls Anor Londo Archers Easy," only showed folks skilled in rolling or positioning themselves in just such a way that the pushback from the inevitable arrow to their shield pushed them toward the building as opposed to off of it, neither of which method I ever effectively mastered. I've never seen a method as you've mentioned!