Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Part of me is curious of how long will future patches to the game last?

Like how long and how many patches did Fallout 76 and No Man's Sky took to become polished and stable?

Uh, last Iheard, TBA on 76 being stable and polished lol.

No Mans Sky went about a year and a half iirc.

Okay i'm not super up to date on what's what, so what does it mean that CyberPunk has been pulled from the Sony store? I get they're not selling it, but is it like a forced refund, and you can no longer play it on a playstation? And does CDPR have any say over this?

It won't force a refund to the best of my knowledge or stop you playing it (people can still play PT for instance). But it won't get any updates.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Uh, last Iheard, TBA on 76 being stable and polished lol.

No Mans Sky went about a year and a half iirc.

It won't force a refund to the best of my knowledge or stop you playing it (people can still play PT for instance). But it won't get any updates.
So Cyberpunk needs at least 1 more year and half to release in a bugless state?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It will get updates, it's just not up for sale at the moment until CDPR gets their shit together and pushes a playable build to the store for sale.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Wow. No wonder Gabe can't be assed to make HL3 with that kind of dough.

Sony removing CP2077 from the store and offering refunds to everyone who bought the game; they didn't even do that with No Man's Sky and FO76. What a shitshow for CDPR. Sony probably figured the abysmal perfomance of the game would start to reflect badly on them as well and that it wasn't worth the hit to their reputation.

Even besides the performance issues and bugs the game isn't really a good open world game. But it does have cool, action setpieces and unique atmosphere and a genuinely engaging storyline. Everything I enjoyed about the game has nothing to do with the open world and only detracts from it. There are a ton of sidequests but 90% is cookie cutter and I can't be arsed to figure which are the good ones. It also has a ton of systems and upgrade trees that aren't worth the hassle. On top of that the loot grind has been made even more tedious by the cumbersome menus.I think I'm close to completing the main quest and after that I'll just leave it at that.

There is a genuinely fantastic game here but it's just buried under a mountain of crap. Haven't experienced that many bugs on PS5 other than occasional glitches and from what I expect poorly programmed AI(like an exploding car in a noodle stand while you have a conversation with an NPC that acts as if nothing happened). The game did crash almost every moment when I completed a main story quest. It was *ploop* back to the main menu again.

Also the game tries too hard with explitive content. Almost every store is a sex shop and the sex scene with Johnny Silverhand just, ugh let me just say no one else was in the room I had to explain this too. I also have never seen this many NPCs gathered around a mannequin with a strap-on in a store filled with similar mannequins with strapons of every size and variation. I don't know what secret desires the developers have on their mind but it's obviously something someone fantasizes about at CDPR. xD Cyberpunk is supposed to be seedy but unfortunately CP2077 is more juvenile and too try-hard.
The original Witcher uncensored version basically had a medieval version of nekkid playmate wenches collectible cards after Geralt smashes uglies with them. It’s nothing new lol, and in fact the seedy futuristic setting only encourages more of the smutty smut smut.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dataminers have managed to track down one of the major reasons the game's performance on PC is worse than it could be.

This is a config file for the engine. The poolCPU and poolGPU numbers are the amount of RAM and VRAM that is explicitly allocated to the game, with the rest being dynamically allocated. Dynamic allocation is often slow to adapt to changes in demand, which can lead to slowdown when the allocated memory is exceeded. This happens a lot with Cyberpunk in particular because the default values of allocated RAM and VRAM on PC are 1.5gb and 3gb respectively. Performance can be increased 30-40% just by changing those values to more reasonable ones.
Got a file path for that config file?

Edit: Nevermind found it.

I did suspect that something like this was an issue. There was a similar issue with Call of Duty Modern Warfare last year where it wouldn't correctly detect how much vram you had, so if the game decided to default to a value that was way more or way less than what you had it would cause all sorts of performance issues, hitching, crashing, etc.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Awww....

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So Cyberpunk needs at least 1 more year and half to release in a bugless state?

Well if you're using NMS as a comparitive. NMS's problems were not generally bugs. I recall few if any major ones.

A lot of outcry about the actual features/gamplay present, and a much secondary lesser section about some of the graphics (most noting the lack of flora fauna and weather comparitive to the original "Vertical slice"). But bugs was never super-heavily NMS's issues.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I actually found the dildos hilarious. Also they had fleshlights all over the place too but I guess nobody noticed them because they look like cups and have weird innuendo-ish names lol.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Having finished the game, I wouldn't say I was disappointed per se, as I went in with tempered expectations and a sneaking suspicion that something went terribly wrong -if only because there was nothing to show for 8 years then a string of delays happens. Still, the game was still a rather underwhelming experience. Aesthetically, it looks great. The city is pretty to look at. When it rains at night and I look up at the skyscrapers it feels a bit like I'm in Blade Runner. So they captured the "look" of cyberpunk.

The writing is good. CPR still has the best writing of all major publishers - though that says more about the standard of writing in the industry than anything else. I very much enjoyed what sidequests there are, especially those in Act 3. Silverhand is a very well done character, and I enjoyed that his presence was there across most things you do.

But the main story is extremely short. It feels like an entire act was cut, perhaps even two. It rushes through the Prologue and Act 1 like it's nothing, then leaves you with Act 2 where there's a fair bit to be done, but when you get to Act 3 it's less and act and more an epilogue. Act 3 is a single mission. That's it. You have an interesting menagerie of characters tied to the main quest and they barely get any time in it. Some of them get sidequests that help their characterization shine, but the main quest moves in such a frantic pace that there's barely enough time for anyone to do anything.

The dialogue choices are a step-up from Witcher 3 - which again, not exactly saying much. There certainly is a feeling of "uniqueness" to your character based on what stats you go for, because stat-based dialogue is predominantly present. That said, however, I don't really think those choices matter for anything more than fluff for the majority of occasions they are present, though I feel that has more to do with most dialogue choices not really mattering than anything.

Speaking of choices mattering, remember how a couple of years back CPR said that the game would be shorter than Witcher 3 but be more replayable because it's going to be choice heavy? Surprise, that was bullshit. 2077 is an extremely linear experience. To get different endings has nothing to do with main story, but rather whether you did some of the major sidequests. What ending you get is thus determined by whether you have done the sidequests, followed by a choice you make at the start of the final mission, and then again by a choice at the end of it. There's also a secret ending that is apparently difficult to get and needs you to plan for it from the start, but what can I say, I already fit all the criteria for it in my completely blind playthrough, so I can't say how much I was lucky or how actually difficult it is to get.

The game commits the fatal ubi-ism: Filling the world with mindless busywork. The majority of things to do in 2077 are "gigs" - basically short quests tied to a small hostile area of the map that require you to get in and either kill a guy, rescue a guy, retrieve object, or sabotage object. Some of them an extra condition, though with the exception of one gig those conditions are the same: Don't alert the guards. All gigs are independent of each other, and none serve a greater narrative, They are basically the "enemy camps" of Ubisoft games, given a bit of extra work to them. Each gig has a unique call from the fixer -the person giving the quest- giving you the details of it, and the ones with extra conditions end with calls from the fixer that are dependent on whether you filled that conditions or not - with the fixer being very happy if you did or disappointed if you didn't. In the end, though, gigs still gave the impression that they are there to fill the map.They are nothing more than 5-10 minute affairs that you forget about the moment you're done with them.

Having discussed gigs with a friend, we reached the conclusion that they are an enormous missed opportunity. Each different area has a different fixer for its gigs. What could have been done is keep the nature of the gigs intact -quick 5-10 minute affairs- but tie them together in order to give each area a unique feel to them. Basically, use gigs and the fixers to flesh out the various areas of Night City, because unfortunately, though visually great there's nothing that makes those areas really unique. Hell, there's different gangs in each area, and most of them have no presence at all in the story, Gigs could have been an elegant way to flesh them out.

There's also NCPD markers, but those are even more egregious busiwork. Go to place, kill criminals, boom done. Some of them have an extra step where you need to find a stash "hidden" (it's still marked directly in your map) somewhere else, but that's about it. More mindless busywork to give the impression there's something to the map.

Driving just plain sucks. Driving a car feels like you're trying to tame a wild stallion by mounting it, all while it kicks and thrashes along the way. I will say, however, that I've had a much better experience driving a motorcycle. One thing that I hate they forgot to do is that the minimap does not zoom out as you speed up while driving, often leaving you with a second to react when suddenly you have to make a turn.

Trading is slow and cumbersome. Selling things seems to make your inventory refresh every time you sell something, and selling multiple things takes forever.

Crafting is even more slow and cumbersome. I cannot fathom why they did not add an option to craft X amount of something. As it stands you have to click and wait 0.7 seconds for something to be crafted. Individually. Say you wanna craft 30 healing items. You have to click the craft button and wait for each one, individually. Same for ammo. It got so tiresome I had to tamper with the game's files and reduce the crafting time to near instantaneous. Crafting still probably took a couple of years out of the lifespan of my mouse, but at least it didn't take an eon to craft what I wanted, just a decade.

Fist fights in this game are atrocious. There is very little feedback to the punches you throw. There is very little feedback when you're getting punched also. Sometimes enemies stagger when you punch them, sometimes they feel nothing and unleash four consecutive hits while you're mid animation, leaving you either beaten or with a sliver of health. Out of all the things that 2077 does badly, for me fist fights were the worst.

TL;DR CP2077 is a game with very good writing, but there's too little of it to go by. Most of the gameplay loop consists of mindless busywork in a city that looks great but has no personality to it. The game's mechanics are at best not well realised and at worst actively frustrating.Overall I had some fun with it, and what it does well it does really well, but it's scattered in an endless sea of boring busywork and jank. Hideo Kojima is in the game. 10/10, don't buy it.

Last edited:

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I think I've figured it out: the big world map is shit, laggy and buggy and not that fun but as soon as you go into a small contained linear mission the game gets better.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Having finished the game, I wouldn't say I was disappointed per se, as I went in with tempered expectations and a sneaking suspicion that something went terribly wrong -if only because there was nothing to show for 8 years then a string of delays happens. Still, the game was still a rather underwhelming experience. Aesthetically, it looks great. The city is pretty to look at. When it rains at night and I look up at the skyscrapers it feels a bit like I'm in Blade Runner. So they captured the "look" of cyberpunk.

The writing is good. CPR still has the best writing of all major publishers - though that says more about the standard of writing in the industry than anything else. I very much enjoyed what sidequests there are, especially those in Act 3. Silverhand is a very well done character, and I enjoyed that his presence was there across most things you do.

But the main story is extremely short. It feels like an entire act was cut, perhaps even two. It rushes through the Prologue and Act 1 like it's nothing, then leaves you with Act 2 where there's a fair bit to be done, but when you get to Act 3 it's less and act and more an epilogue. Act 3 is a single mission. That's it. You have an interesting menagerie of characters tied to the main quest and they barely get any time in it. Some of them get sidequests that help their characterization shine, but the main quest moves in such a frantic pace that there's barely enough time for anyone to do anything.

The dialogue choices are a step-up from Witcher 3 - which again, not exactly saying much. There certainly is a feeling of "uniqueness" to your character based on what stats you go for, because stat-based dialogue is predominantly present. That said, however, I don't really think those choices matter for anything more than fluff for the majority of occasions they are present, though I feel that has more to do with most dialogue choices not really mattering than anything.

Speaking of choices mattering, remember how a couple of years back CPR said that the game would be shorter than Witcher 3 but be more replayable because it's going to be choice heavy? Surprise, that was bullshit. 2077 is an extremely linear experience. To get different endings has nothing to do with main story, but rather whether you did some of the major sidequests. What ending you get is thus determined by whether you have done the sidequests, followed by a choice you make at the start of the final mission, and then again by a choice at the end of it. There's also a secret ending that is apparently difficult to get and needs you to plan for it from the start, but what can I say, I already fit all the criteria for it in my completely blind playthrough, so I can't say how much I was lucky or how actually difficult it is to get.

The game commits the fatal ubi-ism: Filling the world with mindless busywork. The majority of things to do in 2077 are "gigs" - basically short quests tied to a small hostile area of the map that require you to get in and either kill a guy, rescue a guy, retrieve object, or sabotage object. Some of them an extra condition, though with the exception of one gig those conditions are the same: Don't alert the guards. All gigs are independent of each other, and none serve a greater narrative, They are basically the "enemy camps" of Ubisoft games, given a bit of extra work to them. Each gig has a unique call from the fixer -the person giving the quest- giving you the details of it, and the ones with extra conditions end with calls from the fixer that are dependent on whether you filled that conditions or not - with the fixer being very happy if you did or disappointed if you didn't. In the end, though, gigs still gave the impression that they are there to fill the map.They are nothing more than 5-10 minute affairs that you forget about the moment you're done with them.

Having discussed gigs with a friend, we reached the conclusion that they are an enormous missed opportunity. Each different area has a different fixer for its gigs. What could have been done is keep the nature of the gigs intact -quick 5-10 minute affairs- but tie them together in order to give each area a unique feel to them. Basically, use gigs and the fixers to flesh out the various areas of Night City, because unfortunately, though visually great there's nothing that makes those areas really unique. Hell, there's different gangs in each area, and most of them have no presence at all in the story, Gigs could have been an elegant way to flesh them out.

There's also NCPD markers, but those are even more egregious busiwork. Go to place, kill criminals, boom done. Some of them have an extra step where you need to find a stash "hidden" (it's still marked directly in your map) somewhere else, but that's about it. More mindless busywork to give the impression there's something to the map.

Driving just plain sucks. Driving a car feels like you're trying to tame a wild stallion by mounting it, all while it kicks and thrashes along the way. I will say, however, that I've had a much better experience driving a motorcycle. One thing that I hate they forgot to do is that the minimap does not zoom out as you speed up while driving, often leaving you with a second to react when suddenly you have to make a turn.

Trading is slow and cumbersome. Selling things seems to make your inventory refresh every time you sell something, and selling multiple things takes forever.

Crafting is even more slow and cumbersome. I cannot fathom why they did not add an option to craft X amount of something. As it stands you have to click and wait 0.7 seconds for something to be crafted. Individually. Say you wanna craft 30 healing items. You have to click the craft button and wait for each one, individually. Same for ammo. It got so tiresome I had to tamper with the game's files and reduce the crafting time to near instantaneous. Crafting still probably took a couple of years out of the lifespan of my mouse, but at least it didn't take an eon to craft what I wanted, just a decade.

Fist fights in this game are atrocious. There is very little feedback to the punches you throw. There is very little feedback when you're getting punched also. Sometimes enemies stagger when you punch them, sometimes they feel nothing and unleash four consecutive hits while you're mid animation, leaving you either beaten or with a sliver of health. Out of all the things that 2077 does badly, for me fist fights were the worst.

TL;DR CP2077 is a game with very good writing, but there's too little of it to go by. Most of the gameplay loop consists of mindless busywork in a city that looks great but has no personality to it. The game's mechanics are at best not well realised and at worst actively frustrating.Overall I had some fun with it, and what it does well it does really well, but it's scattered in an endless sea of boring busywork and jank. Hideo Kojima is in the game. 10/10, don't buy it.
The more opinions I read about the game, the more I just wanna check out a Youtube movie of the game as it honestly doesn't seem too interesting to actually play. And, that's something I would've much preferred to do with the Witcher 3 after I played through the whole game because playing it wasn't actually very entertaining at all.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
1.05 update out, I don't know for Xbox one, but the game looks crisp now on a PS4 base/slim.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Hey guys if you wanna play a better Cyberpunk game check out Shadowrun: Hong Kong. That game kicks ass.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Hey guys if you wanna play a better Cyberpunk game check out Shadowrun: Hong Kong. That game kicks ass.
I have Dragonfall, I just never got around to playing it. Maybe I'll switch to it from Wasteland 3 as I'm literally only past the opening so I can't really forget where I left off.