Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
This is my uneducated ramble about all this.

RIP CD Projeckt RED. 2007 - 2020

Gaming is officially dead then, The last bastion of a Good Developer that actually cares about gamers has become another Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Konami, and others.

All there is left is the indie scene to play games like Among Us, Fall Boys, Minecraft, and Undertale. And I am not the biggest fan of indie scene, infact I don't like most of the things the indie scene puts out. Most indie games look like cheap shovel-ware forgettable garbage. Like the fucking Atari 2600 era.

I hate that gamer's think the Indie scene is the messiah to gaming because its not this light in the dark tunnel for me. Nothing the indie scene puts out will be great as the 1990s-2006. The SNES/N64/Gamecube era.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeesh. I'm really wondering why they couldn’t have just released the game on PC and kept debugging/optimizing the console ports in the meantime til they were up to snuff. It’s not like they haven’t done this before, like with The Witcher 2 when an Enhanced Edition was released a year later. Everything was peachy.
Maybe because they're now a publicly traded company, meaning stonks must go up now, everything else be damned? But that's just conjecture born from my cynical expectations that public companies will pull corporate bullshit.

Although if they rushed things out the door to please shareholders, then that backfired rather spectacularly.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Gaming is officially dead then, The last bastion of a Good Developer that actually cares about gamers has become another Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Konami, and others.

All there is left is the indie scene to play games like Among Us, Fall Boys, Minecraft, and Undertale. And I am not the biggest fan of indie scene, infact I don't like most of the things the indie scene puts out. Most indie games look like cheap shovel-ware forgettable garbage. Like the fucking Atari 2600 era.

I hate that gamer's think the Indie scene is the messiah to gaming because its not this light in the dark tunnel for me. Nothing the indie scene puts out will be great as the 1990s-2006.

What about FromSoftware, Guerilla Games, Sony Santa Monica, whomever makes the Yakuza games Sega I think, Square Enix (the Japnese side not American Subsidaries)

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
What about FromSoftware, Guerilla Games, Sony Santa Monica, whomever makes the Yakuza games Sega I think, Square Enix (the Japnese side not American Subsidaries)
Eldin Ring is taking forever, FromSoftware fucked up Dark Souls Remastered
I hate the new God of War, and especially how the gaming media seems to throw the older games under the bus.
Yakuza is ok, but I fear it might suffer assassin's creed syndrome.
Square Enix has a history of shitty things.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I hate that gamer's think the Indie scene is the messiah to gaming because its not this light in the dark tunnel for me. Nothing the indie scene puts out will be great as the 1990s-2006. The SNES/N64/Gamecube era.
And that there is your main problem; you are naive to think and believe that. I do hate to say it, but that makes you no different than the others who think the indie scene is full of paladins and saviors. No company is an absolute savior of mankind. To think so is foolishness @Samtemdo8; foolishness. I'm not a huge Indie fan either, but at least they try. I've enjoyed far more smaller, AA, or indie titles more than most of the bog standard AAA stuff. Not to mention, a lot of the indie games are getting physical releases now. which gives me and other people, more incentive to own them physically and not just digitally. With that said, I pick and choose the great, best, good, and decent ones from all spectrums. I ain't giving up because of a couple assholes. Never try to put people, or corporations on pedestals. You'll almost always Crash and burn every single time.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
And that there is your main problem; you are naive to think and believe that. I do hate to say it, but that makes you no different than the others who think the indie scene is full of paladins and saviors. No company is an absolute savior of mankind. To think so is foolishness @Samtemdo8; foolishness. I'm not a huge Indie fan either, but at least they try. I've enjoyed far more smaller, AA, or indie titles more than most of the bog standard AAA stuff. Not to mention, a lot of the indie games are getting physical releases now. which gives me and other people, more incentive to own them physically and not just digitally. With that said, I pick and choose the great, best, good, and decent ones from all spectrums. I ain't giving up because of a couple assholes. Never try to put people, or corporations on pedestals. You'll almost always Crash and burn every single time.
Well, I'm still looking forward to Back 4 Blood and Warhammer 40k: Darktide.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, I'm still looking forward to Back 4 Blood and Warhammer 40k: Darktide.
There you go. I too look forward to B4B.

Also, No More Heroes 3. I do recommend you try some of Grasshopper Studio's games. I can't promise you you'll like every single one, and a lot of them are style over substance. Most of them are really fun though.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
There you go. I too look forward to B4B.

Also, No More Heroes 3. I do recommend you try some of Grasshopper Studio's games. I can't promise you you'll like every single one, and a lot of them are style over substance. Most of them are really fun though.
Games I am looking forward to in the near future are

Metroid Prime 4 (if it does not look like ass)
Breath of the Wild 2
Total War Warhammer 3
Elder Scrolls 6
Obsidian's RPG coming for Series X
And Final Fantasy 16

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Maybe because they're now a publicly traded company, meaning stonks must go up now, everything else be damned? But that's just conjecture born from my cynical expectations that public companies will pull corporate bullshit.

Although if they rushed things out the door to please shareholders, then that backfired rather spectacularly.
Double yeesh.

Goes to show delays ain’t shit next to a horrible release. Would love to hear the inside story on the decision making behind this. This is unprecedented for CDPR, and like you said perhaps not coincidentally being their first release as a big boah public company.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Lol. Yeah CDPR’s current fiasco is business as usual for Blechthesduh.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be excited for ES6. I'm just saying that the claim of CDPR's CP77 fiasco is the "straw that broke the AAA back" for him, but then to also be excited for a game who's developer last released a utterly soul-less, broken, disaster, just seems like a contradictory.

Unless Samtemdo is being hyperbolic, in which case the comment doesn't come across as such and should be clarified.

I think one thing people tend to forget with AAA-video gaming is that just because the publisher and the higher ups are dogshit, doesn't mean that the people who invest all the time and all the work into making a game are that way. Employee's often have no choice in how a game ultimately comes out because at the end of the day it's business and there are deadlines. You can only postpone any deadline so far and in the end you will get to a point where the company will force it out the door regardless of it being ready.

In a perfect world, cases like Cyberpunk 2077 and Fallout 76, probably should have been cancelled projects years ago, before the game ever got to a point in which it couldn't be made into a workable product within a reasonable amount of time. 8 years is an incredibly long developmental cycle for any game. And it's even longer for a game that does nothing new whatsoever. Cyberpunk is not an ambitious game, it doesn't attempt anything new that hasn't been done in countless other titles before. So it shouldn't really have been that much of a struggle to get right when there are dozens of games in which they could copy systems right out of. For whatever reason though, CDPR could not pull this thing together and they've known for years that it wasn't working, so why continue to invest in it and force your way through it? I couldn't tell you. Games are cancelled all the time, some announced and some we never know about, either way it doesn't really matter.

The real question is, if the game came out and was just a little buggy like it is for the vast majority of PC players, would we be having this conversation at all? As far as I can tell, many many people are playing through the game and completing it just fine, and people in my situation (in which the fucking game can't run for more than 10 minutes without crashing) on PC are few and far between.

Meanwhile obviously the Ps4-Xbox crowd are in a whole different level of mess. Maybe CDPR should have pulled the same shit they did with The Witcher 2 and simply done a PC only release, and waited 6 months to release the PS5-Series X versions and left it at that.

Doesn't really matter, saying what they should'a done isn't important because what happened has happened. The good news is that CDPR is still a company that seems to want to do right by people, doing what refunds they can, and ultimately will end up fixing this game into a state that will make the game worthy of what they wanted it to be. Whether or not that makes up for the state they thought it was okay to release the game in depends on the person. I'm am personally annoyed, but this is far from the worst thing a AAA-publisher has done, so I'm just kinda whatever about it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
You mad at CDPR for Cyberpunk but still excited for ES6 from the Fallout 76 guys?

You make no sense.
Well they are now under Microsoft which makes its future development WAY more interesting. Like will it finally be a stable/bugless launch of a game?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well they are now under Microsoft which makes its future development WAY more interesting. Like will it finally be a stable/bugless launch of a game?
Microsoft just showcased their flagship next gen game that looked like a bunch of pudding, then they let it get delayed for basically a full year. I guess you could hold out hope that they'll let Bethesda push back a game as much as needed in order for it to be good, but would Bethesda have the sense to do that for themselves when they haven't shown to have that sense in the past?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Microsoft just showcased their flagship next gen game that looked like a bunch of pudding, then they let it get delayed for basically a full year. I guess you could hold out hope that they'll let Bethesda push back a game as much as needed in order for it to be good, but would Bethesda have the sense to do that for themselves when they haven't shown to have that sense in the past?
Well, putting it on the bottom of things I am looking forward to in the near future then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Do not be blinded by naive and wishful thinking. If they disappoint you, do not come crying to me.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

They will be another Ubisoft friendly to consumers, and also greedy.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Do not be blinded by naive and wishful thinking. If they disappoint you, do not come crying to me.
I won't be the one buying the game on launch unless I see that its a stable and bugless release.