Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Well, that would mean we have the same standard of evidence for both conflicting possibilities. How's about we just disregard both sources and stop listening to hearsay altogether?
That would be great. We still have overwhelming material evidence without all the hearsay.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Well, that would mean we have the same standard of evidence for both conflicting possibilities. How's about we just disregard both sources and stop listening to hearsay altogether?
We'd have to throw out like 95% of this thread's topics if we did that.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
That would be great. We still have overwhelming material evidence without all the hearsay.
All that overwhelming material evidence, yet still nothing proven in court...

How's "The Kraken" doing?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So you're saying I should give up on you realizing how ridiculously exaggerated your view of Trump is? Like, you're so extreme in your judgment of Trump, I think you're actively thinking more highly of other people so there's more room to separate him out from others. Donald Trump is not a single horrible incompetent in a field of otherwise competent presidents. Frankly, Donald Trump is an average Democratic president, which is not particularly high praise. But that's ok, because we have an entire governmental system, with checks, balances, seperation of powers. You know, all that jazz. And it all worked out fine. Not cause Donald Trump is a super great stable genius, but because his powers as president are limited and what he did he listened to smarter people for most of it.

You're letting your perspective of the man dictate your perspective of the entire US government, and that's dumb.
Your argument is who cares if Trump is venal and grossly incompetent, because the checks and balances prevent him doing too much damage. My answer is that the safety net is not supposed to be the everyday functionality: your argument is akin to "who cares if unemployment is 36% as long as we have welfare?"

If you think "fine" is over 320,000 dead from covid-19, a huge number unnecessarily from a botched pandemic response, god help you. Nor would we know a lot of the potential damage, because it's not always immediately evident.

As for the rest, you are literally the most partisan person on this board, because your animosity towards the Democratic Party is far more pathological than anyone here's dislike of Trump.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
If you think "fine" is over 320,000 dead from covid-19, a huge number unnecessarily from a botched pandemic response, god help you.
See, you're still blaming this all on Trump, as if he is personally and solely responsible for each and every one of these deaths. Your irrational hatred for Trump blinds you.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
See, you're still blaming this all on Trump, as if he is personally and solely responsible for each and every one of these deaths. Your irrational hatred for Trump blinds you.
Hard for people to get a word in edgewise when you keep stuffing really stupid words in their mouths.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Before we continue with your remedial reading lesson, I really do want to get you on record because this is special. You're argument is that despite the Supreme Court's own website posting that they are not meeting in person, not having any hearings in person and conducting all business remotely, that they did in fact meet, in secret(because they're not conducting Justice Conferences in person), and that a anonymous person listened in on and overheard Chief Justice Roberts say that they have to throw out the Texas case even thought they know its right. That's you're corner? That's what you think its more likely that some random Representative lying? I just wanna be clear 'cause whoa nelly

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You're argument is that despite the Supreme Court's own website posting that they are not meeting in person
No it doesn't. Their own website says that they will not be hearing oral arguments in person, not that won't be meeting and deliberating in person.

and conducting all business remotely
This is a complete fabrication on your part. You have zero sources that say this.

You made the claim that they never met in person. I merely asked you to back up that claim. You have consistently failed to do so.

Also, you should really learn the difference between "your" and "you're", especially when you're trying to be condescending about reading. Makes you look silly.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well he's done nothing but mock and detract wearing facemasks and maintaining social distancing, which are the two basic things you would do to halt the contagion, so...

Reactions: bluegate

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Your argument is who cares if Trump is venal and grossly incompetent, because the checks and balances prevent him doing too much damage. My answer is that the safety net is not supposed to be the everyday functionality: your argument is akin to "who cares if unemployment is 36% as long as we have welfare?"

If you think "fine" is over 320,000 dead from covid-19, a huge number unnecessarily from a botched pandemic response, god help you. Nor would we know a lot of the potential damage, because it's not always immediately evident.

As for the rest, you are literally the most partisan person on this board, because your animosity towards the Democratic Party is far more pathological than anyone here's dislike of Trump.
A) You're not behaving like there is even welfare though. Like, let's say there was something that caused a bunch of unemployment. Your logic is "there's a bunch of this thing, therefore a ton of people are dead in the streets" as though there's a deterministic line between them and nobody can do anything to stop it. There are like 80 steps between Trump saying something stupid and the post office not delivering ballots, and you're drawing that line as though it's unimpeded.

B) 320,000 people didn't die from covid in the US, that number only exists because we as a nation are willing to criticize ourselves when everyone else avoids introspection, and even if it was a real, meaningful number, it's not Trump's fault.

C) Are you joking? I regularly compliment Democrats. I talked about which presidential candidates I would have voted for over Trump during the primary. When Democrats act as ridiculous partisans, yes I get irritated. And I certainly hold a grudge against Lyndon Johnson specifically. But you are less likely to say something good about a Republican than I am about a Democrat, and you don't even live here, and you're a relative moderate on this board.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Could you expand on that?
You made a bunch of assumptions
1. Criticism is somehow hatred. Gotta love conservatives and their victimization whenever criticism comes near them. No, Houseman. It's criticism.
2. Criticism is solely on Trump. At the very least someone could have talked to Trump and guided him to better choices. They did not take their responsibility to the American people either. This criticism takes on administration as a whole.
3. Trump is its figurehead of this administration. I dont know if your aware. Because everyone time some wants to critise this administration, they will be using Trump's name.
4. Point to anywhere in this thread were anyone has said that Trump is responsible for every death. Also, it happened on his watch and he could have had way less deaths.
5. Just becuase you personally disagree with some, doesn't make it irrational
6. No one understands why Trump gets to insult and denigrate everyone but as soon as you insult him its 'irrational hatred'
6. Calling someone shitty is about competence (or lack there of), not hatred.
7. Agema pointing out 320k deaths is a direct request for Trump to do better. It's not blaming him for ever single death. It's saying the numbers could have been way lower.
8. Trump was asked to help with the pandemic. He did little. My country is now already out of this pandemic recession becuase they took the economy seriously. Trump didn't. He (and to be clear, it's his whole administration) deserves criticism
9. He deliberately made the pandemic worse pretending it didnt exist. I can't imagine any president on either side of fence pretending that Corona existing was an attack on him. Bojo and Macron never did such things. Or turning masks into a culture war. Not even Reagan.
10. Being in charge means that you get all the praise and criticism of the things you are meant to be in charge of. Why are you pretending that isn't a thing?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
For so many pages, now, you've just been repeating the bit about how many affidavits you have, and how many poll-watchers have claimed such-and-such at non-hearings, and what people have said on Twitter. Almost everything I've seen has boiled down to hearsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.