Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Board of Supervisors Chairman Clint Hickman, a Republican, said Friday that the timeline on the subpoenas was unrealistic, the request was an intrusion into voters' privacy, and fulfilling them would require breaking state law.
The court complaint says that the subpoenas are invalid because the state Legislature only has the right to subpoena in certain instances.

That includes if the subpoena is authorized by ordinance or similar enactment, if it serves a valid legislative purpose, and if the witnesses or material subpoenaed are pertinent to the subject matter of an investigation.

None of these are the case, according to the complaint. The subpoenas are not authorized by any statute or other law, there is no legislative authority to audit election results, examine ballots, or conduct elections, and there is no relevant investigation, the complaint states.
The complaint also states that turning over the ballots and ballot images to the committee "unquestionably compromises the secrecy of the ballots," required under state law, and violates the state law that requires the county to keep the ballots "in a secure facility managed by the treasurer, who shall keep it unopened and unaltered," for a certain time frame.
Keep in mind the supervisor board that rebuked them is 4-1 Republican.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Fake News alert y'all! News Max is fake news now, I think?
When people complain about the "mainstream media", one big advantage of the mainstream media is that they can be readily sued, which helps keep them in line.

The profusion of "alternative" media generally isn't - information is spread around too many content providers. Almost like it's perfect for people to lie their arses off.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
When people complain about the "mainstream media", one big advantage of the mainstream media is that they can be readily sued, which helps keep them in line.

The profusion of "alternative" media generally isn't - information is spread around too many content providers. Almost like it's perfect for people to lie their arses off.
I wonder if that contributes to the relative lack of editorial integrity concerning the adversaries of the US Natsec blob and targets of the military industrial complex; who would have standing to sue on Bolivia's behalf?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You see where this all comes from? Your shitty president. If you want people to worry less, next time don't put a man in charge who revels in spreading disorder and anxiety.
I hope you understand your stance is basically "if people hate the president enough, any action can be justified."

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The problem the post office has right now is that it's over-prepared for carrying letter sized envelopes while demand for that is going down, and can't keep up with packages as demand for that is rising.
The entire idea that the post office ought to be required to maintain a profit is nonsense. The efficient delivery of packages and mail is a service that any society should want to have, and profit has nothing whatsoever- literally not a thing- to do with that.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The entire idea that the post office ought to be required to maintain a profit is nonsense. The efficient delivery of packages and mail is a service that any society should want to have, and profit has nothing whatsoever- literally not a thing- to do with that.
What does this have to do with the ability to deliver the mail? The discussion here is logistics, not profitability. No amount of money made or lost is going to make the post office better handle the change in the type of mail being sent, actually changes in practice are required to do that.
Or, and I know this sounds weird... you could just read what Agema said instead of making up your own thing
Arrested Development Narrator: It wasn't.
No it isn't. You make shit up, dude. You really do.
So here's what happened:

1) The pandemic destroyed the USPS operations. Mail volume dropped like 1/3rd of the total, mailed packages increased.
2) USPS asked for help to retain financial solvency, this was not Trump's fault and had no effect on the ability to deliver standard envelopes.
3) Democrats blamed Trump. Democrats pretended this was going to impede the election.
4) The media sold it as Trump's fault and an attack on the election.
5) People like Agema bought the lie because they hate Trump.
6) Democrats used it as an excuse to change policies on the fly.
7) People like Agema now rationalize that they were justified in believing the lies and changling the policy because Trump deserves to be hated.

There was never any risk to the election. The ballots were always going to be processed as usual, if not better than usual. The suggestion the election was at stake was a lie. The policy changes based on that were based on a lie. You're all supporting policy changes ordered by judges, based on lies. And then rationalizing it because "hey, Trump's a jerk, so it's justified".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I think my responses to others in that and other posts mostly have it covered. Additionally, I'm not letting your debate with Houseman bleed into my comments, I have no interest in overturning the election results.
I meant the part about ease-of-voting being perfectly well established as an area on which the judiciary can rule, since its a legal principle that voting must be accessible and open.

The bit about overturning the election, which was Sidney Powell's stated goal, was to point out that the plaintiffs have no interest in defending democracy.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What does this have to do with the ability to deliver the mail? The discussion here is logistics, not profitability. No amount of money made or lost is going to make the post office better handle the change in the type of mail being sent, actually changes in practice are required to do that.

So here's what happened:

1) The pandemic destroyed the USPS operations. Mail volume dropped like 1/3rd of the total, mailed packages increased.
2) USPS asked for help to retain financial solvency, this was not Trump's fault and had no effect on the ability to deliver standard envelopes.
3) Democrats blamed Trump. Democrats pretended this was going to impede the election.
4) The media sold it as Trump's fault and an attack on the election.
5) People like Agema bought the lie because they hate Trump.
6) Democrats used it as an excuse to change policies on the fly.
7) People like Agema now rationalize that they were justified in believing the lies and changling the policy because Trump deserves to be hated.

There was never any risk to the election. The ballots were always going to be processed as usual, if not better than usual. The suggestion the election was at stake was a lie. The policy changes based on that were based on a lie. You're all supporting policy changes ordered by judges, based on lies. And then rationalizing it because "hey, Trump's a jerk, so it's justified".
Trump sure believed that he was "attacking" the post office and election.

“Now, they need that money in order to make the post office work, so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo. “Now, if we don’t make a deal, that means they don’t get the money,” he added. “That means they can’t have universal mail-in voting, they just can’t have it.”

Only 10,000 ballots arrived during Pennsylvania's 3-day extension, not enough to turn the election.

Reactions: Buyetyen

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Trump sure believed that he was "attacking" the post office and election.

“Now, they need that money in order to make the post office work, so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo. “Now, if we don’t make a deal, that means they don’t get the money,” he added. “That means they can’t have universal mail-in voting, they just can’t have it.”

Only 10,000 ballots arrived during Pennsylvania's 3-day extension, not enough to turn the election.
Are you suggesting states should craft their policies around the way Trump thinks things work, rather than around the way they actually work?

I know few ballots arrived in that period. That's been part of my point. The change had no impact on the outcome of the election because all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the postal service holding back ballots until after the election was nonsense.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Are you suggesting states should craft their policies around the way Trump thinks things work, rather than around the way they actually work?
So people shouldn't have believed Trump was attacking the post office when The President of the United States said that he was?

Should people just believe the opposite of what Trump says? Is the Trump presidency just basically a Super Mario Maker troll level where it's your fault for falling for an obvious kaizo block?

Reactions: MrCalavera

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
So people shouldn't have believed Trump was attacking the post office when The President of the United States said that he was?

Should people just believe the opposite of what Trump says? Is the Trump presidency just basically a Super Mario Maker troll level where it's your fault for falling for an obvious kaizo block?
Remember trump's a straight talker, tells it how it is. Unless what he says hurts his cause, then we need to read between the lines and stop believing the jew controlled media... I mean "mainstream media".

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I know few ballots arrived in that period. That's been part of my point. The change had no impact on the outcome of the election because all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the postal service holding back ballots until after the election was nonsense.
10,000 people being unnecessarily stripped of a constitutional right seems like a big deal to me...

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You know who has decision-making power impacting the USPS, and already bases those decisions around how Trump thinks they work, rather than how they actually work?

Donald Trump.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs
Status
Not open for further replies.