Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
I think newgrounds is only saving the games on its own site, so there is probably a reason to check out flashpoint if you feel like it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think newgrounds is only saving the games on its own site, so there is probably a reason to check out flashpoint if you feel like it.
Yeah but you can still load downloaded flash files.

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
I'm not sure about you but I don't feel like downloading every flash game that I have interest in. 'though I'm not quite sure how flashpoint works so perhaps that's how you access the games through it - thus making my point moot.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure about you but I don't feel like downloading every flash game that I have interest in. 'though I'm not quite sure how flashpoint works so perhaps that's how you access the games through it - thus making my point moot.
The newgrounds player can link directly from the site to load games into it. Not sure how other players do it, I had one from awhile back that would only work with downloaded flash files.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I remember playing a browser based platformer that had three slimes as the playable characters. One was fast and orange, one was green and sticky, and the last was grey and heavy. For the life of me I can't recall the name of the game. It might run on flash so I'm not sure if it can be played anymore.
I don't remember changing colors, but the sticky/slick/heavy slime reminds me of Gish, which I swear had a flash-based demo somewhere, but I can't find the flash demo.

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
I don't think that's the game I'm looking for, but Gish looks interesting, I might check it out.

gork

Dec 1, 2020
Country
United States
Trying to find a game. 2 or 2.5 been looking for several days with zero luck
PC game./2 or 2.5d side scrolling . Two areas were homages to another game. Only saw play throughs. They moved forward a ton while constantly shooting at enemies. Recent release as in not 16 bit. Almost all reviews noted the novel thing that the background of areas could be used to get upgrades, hidden just for fun things, hide, or more often to then not shoot a waves of enemies. I simply don't know how to describe the art style. So I linked a whole other game which wrung a bell for the art style. Reviews noted it was a little on the gory side and that two areas in particular stood out. One was a area to avoid sharks that'd eat your charector if you weren't careful. They also tended to praise it for being on the tongue in cheek side and how cool it was to actually use the background.

It sometimes got listed as retro or arcade styled. It might have been on steam. But I can't find it now. It seems like the tittle was somewhat 90s action charector sounding. Max Something, Gun Something, Or maybe even Mack something. I did try that while searching and came up with zilch.

I'm almost tempted to say it came out in the last 6 years. I think it's a sequel to another game as well.

Semicolonkid

Dec 2, 2020
Country
United States
I've got one that I've idly wondered about for over 16 years, and every time I've tried to find it, I've failed.

I only ever played the first several minutes, but I remember a number of things:
Old (probably 90's), 2D, top-down, pixel art RPG. The beginning takes place in a village or town, reminiscent of any old Final Fantasy game.
There's this gathering of like 10 or 11 heroic characters in a big circle, and you get to choose any of them to be the one you play as. I remember one was like some magical high-elf, but another was a robot. The game seemed pretty strongly in the fantasy genre, though.
Everyone's mission is to go out into the world and find a bunch of these magical artifacts (orbs? crystals? something?) I remember if you didn't pick the robot and you go talk to him, he says something like "My scanner systems will be able to detect the orbs." Basically, seemed like each of the 11 characters had strengths and weaknesses for hunting after these objects, and after you choose a hero, you're in a race against the rest of them to find them first.

I played it on the computer, but it could have easily been via an emulator of some sort (in fact, I think that's likely).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've got one that I've idly wondered about for over 16 years, and every time I've tried to find it, I've failed.

I only ever played the first several minutes, but I remember a number of things:
Old (probably 90's), 2D, top-down, pixel art RPG. The beginning takes place in a village or town, reminiscent of any old Final Fantasy game.
There's this gathering of like 10 or 11 heroic characters in a big circle, and you get to choose any of them to be the one you play as. I remember one was like some magical high-elf, but another was a robot. The game seemed pretty strongly in the fantasy genre, though.
Everyone's mission is to go out into the world and find a bunch of these magical artifacts (orbs? crystals? something?) I remember if you didn't pick the robot and you go talk to him, he says something like "My scanner systems will be able to detect the orbs." Basically, seemed like each of the 11 characters had strengths and weaknesses for hunting after these objects, and after you choose a hero, you're in a race against the rest of them to find them first.

I played it on the computer, but it could have easily been via an emulator of some sort (in fact, I think that's likely).
I'm pretty sure that game is Live-A-Live for the snes.

Semicolonkid

Dec 2, 2020
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that game is Live-A-Live for the snes.
I can see why you would think so! What a unique-sounding game!

I'm afraid that's definitely not it, though.

The characters you don't choose are still part of the same time/world as the one you do choose, and you can speak directly to them after making your choice. It really seemed like you were about to embark on an adventure to compete with the rest of them.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can see why you would think so! What a unique-sounding game!

I'm afraid that's definitely not it, though.

The characters you don't choose are still part of the same time/world as the one you do choose, and you can speak directly to them after making your choice. It really seemed like you were about to embark on an adventure to compete with the rest of them.
Maybe Star Ocean?

Semicolonkid

Dec 2, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe Star Ocean?
No, but what a nice soundtrack!
It's funny you'd suggest an Enix game. After your suggestion of Live-A-Live, I went through all of Square's old games, just about ruling them all out (which feels wrong, because a surprising amount of them let you choose between many protagonists, one of which being a robot).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, but what a nice soundtrack!
It's funny you'd suggest an Enix game. After your suggestion of Live-A-Live, I went through all of Square's old games, just about ruling them all out (which feels wrong, because a surprising amount of them let you choose between many protagonists, one of which being a robot).
If its a console game you might want to watch all of snesdrunk's vids about the best RPG games since there is a good chance it would show up there.

Dec 8, 2020
Country
United States
I am trying to remember a name of a not so popular video game that was in arcades, I use to play it on a cocktail style. Its was like Bagman. you could either pick one or two bags up. if you picked up two you would slow down to a crawl walk. and you had to escape to impress a woman. when you achieved I believe it was 10 bags you advanced to the next level.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I am trying to remember a name of a not so popular video game that was in arcades, I use to play it on a cocktail style. Its was like Bagman. you could either pick one or two bags up. if you picked up two you would slow down to a crawl walk. and you had to escape to impress a woman. when you achieved I believe it was 10 bags you advanced to the next level.
Could that have been Lupin III by Taito?

black_text

Dec 14, 2017
Country
Romania
Hey people, I'm trying to remember an old game I used to play on pc in the early 2000s. It was an isometric game that also had a map editor option. There were multiple types of tiles, obstacles, aesthetic objects etc. from a clown like looking world with lots of bright colors and stuff, to a more aetherial one with lots of columns and pillars and whatnot, to a more dystopic, dark looking one. I don't remember the objective for passing the levels and I might be wrong, but you were maybe supposed to collect some coins or curios or eliminate all of the enemies. I do remember there used to be mobs that would one shot or two shot you if they were getting close to your PC. I remember the mobs as being fully clothed, cult like people that were either red, green, purple or black ( I might be wrong with some colors though ). I have looked on multiple websites and I haven't been able to find anything there as of yet. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers and happy holidays!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hey people, I'm trying to remember an old game I used to play on pc in the early 2000s. It was an isometric game that also had a map editor option. There were multiple types of tiles, obstacles, aesthetic objects etc. from a clown like looking world with lots of bright colors and stuff, to a more aetherial one with lots of columns and pillars and whatnot, to a more dystopic, dark looking one. I don't remember the objective for passing the levels and I might be wrong, but you were maybe supposed to collect some coins or curios or eliminate all of the enemies. I do remember there used to be mobs that would one shot or two shot you if they were getting close to your PC. I remember the mobs as being fully clothed, cult like people that were either red, green, purple or black ( I might be wrong with some colors though ). I have looked on multiple websites and I haven't been able to find anything there as of yet. Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers and happy holidays!
Can you tell us about the aesthetic of the game? Medieval, fantasy, scifi? What kinda weapons did you use, did it have a leveling system, was it a flash game, was it 2d or 3d?

black_text

Dec 14, 2017
Country
Romania
Can you tell us about the aesthetic of the game? Medieval, fantasy, scifi? What kinda weapons did you use, did it have a leveling system, was it a flash game, was it 2d or 3d?
Hello Worgen, thank you for the quick reply!
I have been fortunate enough to find the game after a while. I was trying to describe Lode Runner 2 from 1998, but I was vaguely remembering stuff about it.

Thank you once again and happy holidays!