Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I can't say I feel sorry for CDPR as a company. When you brazenly lie to your investors (and customers) and then try to sweep it under the rug with a shrug and some deflective excuses about underestimating the complexity and scope of your ambition, you deserve to get checked hard. In hindsight, it is obvious that pretty much everything CDPR has said to both fans and investors for all of 2020 leading up to release was outright lies. It wasn't glossed over problems, it wasn't polished turds or half-truths about features, but malicious lies about the state of the game. And as a topping of utter shittiness upon all those piles of lies, they only gave out pre-release review codes to PC versions of the game because they knew the game was unplayable on PS4/Xbone but didn't want that cat out of the bag until they had gotten some sweet day one sales to people who would spend their money on an unplayable mess that makes Trespasser seem like a master class in stable releases.

Honestly, I hope CDPR gets hit very hard by this. Not only because they deserve it, but because it will be a great warning to other publishers to stay relatively honest about the states of their games.
It’s kinda looking like it’ll be their fall from grace, even though they always had issues with crunch culture if nothing else. But this whole project seemed doomed from the start as a result of the perfect storm of internal mismanagement and misleading PR. If they ever recover, it won’t be soon in any respect and the stain on their rep will likely be permanent. “C” the will be their scarlet letter.

The worst part is the game still reviewed well at least on PC by some miracle, considering even these users have had several major criticism to level at it. It all kinda makes the TLoU2 debacle seem pretty trivial by contrast.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I’m still buying this game, so can you all let me know if I’m trash for doing so. I need to get that part over with quick.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These guys point out that Dead Rising 4 is more stable than Cyberpunk......

Dead Rising 4. A game that was shit out in a year by Capcom Vancouver, when they originally tried to reboot the series and make it more like, ugh, The Last Of Us. That is more stable than a game that took 7 years to make. You've got to be fucking kidding.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Its a little funny to see all the Cyberpunk 2077 copies being sold in the buy and sell groups I'm part of. Most if not all of them are unopened, that's what happens when you pre-order.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You're trash.

But seriously, I got it on pre-order and I can't say I feel too trashy for it. If you can just accept that it is pretty broken and that CDPR lied about pretty much everything about the game, there's still some good pieces in there. Just temper your expectations and go in to enjoy the Main and Side Quests (as opposed to the Gigs) and I'm sure you'll get enjoyment out of it.
Some of the gigs are actually pretty good. Most of them are boring, but some of them are interesting and well built.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
These guys point out that Dead Rising 4 is more stable than Cyberpunk......

Dead Rising 4. A game that was shit out in a year by Capcom Vancouver, when they originally tried to reboot the series and make it more like, ugh, The Last Of Us. That is more stable than a game that took 7 years to make. You've got to be fucking kidding.
Dead Rising 4 is likely not even a tenth as ambitious in scope as Cyberpunk. Find a better example to beat it with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dead Rising 4 is likely not even a tenth as ambitious in scope as Cyberpunk. Find a better example to beat it with.
That's not the point nor issue. The issue being that with all of its problems, Dead Rising 4 is more fun and stable by comparison to C2077. DR4 was Christmas rushed and still had plenty of bugs and looks of being not finished even in the PS4 version. With all of the updates, fixes, and bonuses. Like I said before, this was supposed to be a reboot like TLOUS, for some dumb reason by Capcom Vancouver. Their Japanese overlords did not like that idea and never wanted a reboot in the first place and told them to scrap everything and rebuild it up within a year. Which is why that game is in such sorry state. Add on to the fact that most of the actual talent left, and that these guys had never played the original Dead Rising, claiming "Frank West is back!". Too bad they derailed the character in to a unrecognizable mess, changed voiced actors for no reason, and turned an open-world goof off and kill zombie game, into a generic third person action game. Removing the best parts that worked about the franchise. D4 killed the franchise and the Vancouver division all got the axe.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The moment in the game I find the most memorable and that really stood out to me was the braindance segment where you walk past Adam Smasher and he comments on your appearance. I really love the design. He is big and creepy and really looks like a psychopath stuck in a near indestructible robot body. I wish they built the entire game around this premise. It wasn't going for laughs or cheap sleaze it was just this hulking brute that could snap you like a twig in a milisecond. It is the one thing about Cyberpunk that didn't feel dated; this transmogrification of flesh into machine. No distracting bells and whistles.

I think invasive technology and advanced robotics is much more actual than evil Japanese super corporations planning to take over the world. That one felt really dated and is pretty much the game's throughline. It might be authentic to the source material but it's so steeped in '80s culture that it feels like a relic of a bygone era. Japan of today is a geriatric country that can't lift a finger and where incontinence diapers for the elderly outsells those for infants. It really came across as a self-referential joke almost. Cyberpunk should be about the future but CP2077 is so fixated on the past it becomes it's own form of revisionism for which it originally is anathema.

I still really dig the aesthetic of CP2077 but they haven't updated a single element of the fears and anxieties that originally created the genre four decades ago so a lot of it feels strangely out of place while modern fears are undercooked.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's not the point nor issue.
Yeah it kind of is. If you worked on something as bare bones as Dead Rising for seven years and it had bugs like Cyberpunk did I'd be starting a financial audit because someone is clearly siphoning away money to the Caymen Islands as an embezzling scheme. A game the length and breadth of Cyberpunk having bugs this bad after seven years is a sign of too much vision not enough sense, and several desperately stupid decisions.

Or to boil this down; Capcom fucked up making a Corolla, CDPR fucked up making a Ferrari. They both fucked up, they're both going to get (or got) justifiably raked over the coals for it, but don't pretend they were attempting the same thing.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
When we are talking about 80s ideas, there is also the utterly ridiculous amount of gang violence or much of the Punk philosophy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah it kind of is. If you worked on something as bare bones as Dead Rising for seven years and it had bugs like Cyberpunk did I'd be starting a financial audit because someone is clearly siphoning away money to the Caymen Islands as an embezzling scheme. A game the length and breadth of Cyberpunk having bugs this bad after seven years is a sign of too much vision not enough sense, and several desperately stupid decisions.

Or to boil this down; Capcom fucked up making a Corolla, CDPR fucked up making a Ferrari. They both fucked up, they're both going to get (or got) justifiably raked over the coals for it, but don't pretend they were attempting the same thing.
I never implied or said that. All I said is that they had similar issues. Cyberpunk problem is still worse, I'm not disagreeing there. All I'm just saying is that there is more fun to be had in Dead Rising 4 than Cyberpunk. Both are still bad games that were rushed and had to be fixed later. Even with Dead Rising 4's fixes, it's still not a good game and there are still bugs out there yet to be ironed out, even on the PS4 version. The definitive version of the game.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I never implied or said that. All I said is that they had similar issues. Cyberpunk problem is still worse, I'm not disagreeing there. All I'm just saying is that there is more fun to be had in Dead Rising 4 than Cyberpunk. Both are still bad games that were rushed and had to be fixed later. Even with Dead Rising 4's fixes, it's still not a good game and there are still bugs out there yet to be ironed out, even on the PS4 version. The definitive version of the game.
And the only issue I have with that statement is that I hate Dead Rising so I don't care? Zombie games are a dime a dozen and can go fuck themselves, Cyberpunk games are considerably rarer.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Let's start with how the game was announced in 2013, then they did absolutely no work on it until 2016. Up until 2018 the game was constantly shifting in scope, design and story and it was only with the "gameplay reveal" in 2018 that those things got nailed down. At most the game got about 2 years of active, focused development and several sources claim it was closer to a mad 1,5 year dash. In many ways, it seems like CP77 and Anthem had very similar development issues.
So yeah, basically these guys had eyes bigger than their stomachs AND did everything at the last minute. Fuck they're like me in high school with assignments.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And the only issue I have with that statement is that I hate Dead Rising so I don't care?
Okay then. I'm not a big Dead Rising fan either, but other than four, I respect the series what it did and accomplished. It's one of the better zombie games anyway. Zombie game or not, they're still games better than Cyberpunk. Especially those that are in a cyberpunk setting that came out recently.

Zombie games are a dime a dozen and can go fuck themselves, Cyberpunk games are considerably rarer.
I know, I get it, it sucks. But that's why you shouldn't put so much faith in the things nor put them on a high pedestal. And by "you", I mean people in general. Which is a huge problem that still pervases in games media today. That long wait didn't guarantee shit.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
So I’m still buying this game, so can you all let me know if I’m trash for doing so. I need to get that part over with quick.
You're not trash, but you should still wait couple months til buying it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's not the point nor issue. The issue being that with all of its problems, Dead Rising 4 is more fun and stable by comparison to C2077. DR4 was Christmas rushed and still had plenty of bugs and looks of being not finished even in the PS4 version. With all of the updates, fixes, and bonuses. Like I said before, this was supposed to be a reboot like TLOUS, for some dumb reason by Capcom Vancouver. Their Japanese overlords did not like that idea and never wanted a reboot in the first place and told them to scrap everything and rebuild it up within a year. Which is why that game is in such sorry state. Add on to the fact that most of the actual talent left, and that these guys had never played the original Dead Rising, claiming "Frank West is back!". Too bad they derailed the character in to a unrecognizable mess, changed voiced actors for no reason, and turned an open-world goof off and kill zombie game, into a generic third person action game. Removing the best parts that worked about the franchise. D4 killed the franchise and the Vancouver division all got the axe.
How did the design decision to reboot TLoU even make it past the Japanese overlords in the first place? Sounds fishy.

I’m not regretting preordering based on CDPR’s track record, but also have no problem waiting to play much past the prologue until we get an “enhanced” version with all the fixes. It’s uninstalled and I will instead finish The Witcher 3 first, even though I’m more intrigued by the Cyberpunk setting and gameplay. Maybe by then I’ll also be able to find a power efficient RTX card for less than a PS5 costs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How did the design decision to reboot TLoU even make it past the Japanese overlords in the first place? Sounds fishy.
Originally Capcom didn't have a problem with them remaking dead rising. They thought they were going to get a literal remake of the first game in the style it's always been, but with features from the sequels. Capcom did not bother to check in on them once when they were building the game. When the Vancouver division showed them the last of us clone they were basically making, Capcom of Japan was not happy. So all the assets were either gotten rid of, or repurposed for mostly minor stuff in the fourth game. Either way you look at it it's poor management on both parties. Capcom never thought once just to check in on what the Vancouver team was doing until they were late into the project. Don't forget, that this was still during capcom's dork age.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker