Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I’m not regretting preordering based on CDPR’s track record, but also have no problem waiting to play much past the prologue until we get an “enhanced” version with all the fixes.
Why would you pre-order something that has unlimited supply? What other industry of products has people pre-order stuff that won't run out of supply? I just don't get the point of ever pre-ordering a game no matter how much I think I want to play it or how much a love a certain developer.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Why would you pre-order something that has unlimited supply? What other industry of products has people pre-order stuff that won't run out of supply? I just don't get the point of ever pre-ordering a game no matter how much I think I want to play it or how much a love a certain developer.
The only reason I can see as being remotely justified is dev support, for a dev that has a great track record you know it's gonna be good no matter what.

That being said, I'm completely against pre-ordering because you're giving them money for a promise and have little recourse if it turns it the actual game didn't live up to the promise. Trailers lie, pre-release press is controlled and often based on selective bits the dev wants everyone to see and until the reviews start coming in after launch(or maybe just before), there's no way to know how good it actually is. Of course, review embargos play into this as well(and we should be wary when only certain platforms are given review codes or the review embargo is strangely restrictive).

It also enables bad behaviour because they know they've got your money locked in regardless of quality. There's the counter argument that it would endanger future sales, but lets face it, there's people that will get burned over and over by a dev and still pre-order the next time because "This time it will be different".

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The only reason I can see as being remotely justified is dev support, for a dev that has a great track record you know it's gonna be good no matter what.

That being said, I'm completely against pre-ordering because you're giving them money for a promise and have little recourse if it turns it the actual game didn't live up to the promise. Trailers lie, pre-release press is controlled and often based on selective bits the dev wants everyone to see and until the reviews start coming in after launch(or maybe just before), there's no way to know how good it actually is. Of course, review embargos play into this as well(and we should be wary when only certain platforms are given review codes or the review embargo is strangely restrictive).

It also enables bad behaviour because they know they've got your money locked in regardless of quality. There's the counter argument that it would endanger future sales, but lets face it, there's people that will get burned over and over by a dev and still pre-order the next time because "This time it will be different".
The only time I ever pre-order is usually if it's a niche game or game where there's only going to be limited copies. or if I know I'm going to be playing a crap out of the game. Otherwise, I rarely pre-order games. Especially of the AAA variety.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I wanted to try it at launch (first time ever for a CDPR game personally) and the price doesn’t change before or right after release? Also the GoG version comes with a ton of extras as usual. I knew I wanted to play it anyways, plus several YouTubers like Skill-Up were already talking it up on PC for what that’s worth.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The only time I ever pre-order is usually if it's a niche game or game where there's only going to be limited copies. or if I know I'm going to be playing a crap out of the game. Otherwise, I rarely pre-order games. Especially of the AAA variety.
Although now with everything digital, limited copies is only for special edition packages or the crappy practice of locking exclusive game items behind preorders, instead of making them available to all buyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Because pre-ordering, from an actual store anyway, is in my view a clever method of paying for the game over time without one blowing an entire entertainment spending budget in one go.

So there, that’s a reason you can pre-order. In fact this kind of thing used to happen all the time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's not the point nor issue. The issue being that with all of its problems, Dead Rising 4 is more fun and stable by comparison to C2077. DR4 was Christmas rushed and still had plenty of bugs and looks of being not finished even in the PS4 version. With all of the updates, fixes, and bonuses. Like I said before, this was supposed to be a reboot like TLOUS, for some dumb reason by Capcom Vancouver. Their Japanese overlords did not like that idea and never wanted a reboot in the first place and told them to scrap everything and rebuild it up within a year. Which is why that game is in such sorry state. Add on to the fact that most of the actual talent left, and that these guys had never played the original Dead Rising, claiming "Frank West is back!". Too bad they derailed the character in to a unrecognizable mess, changed voiced actors for no reason, and turned an open-world goof off and kill zombie game, into a generic third person action game. Removing the best parts that worked about the franchise. D4 killed the franchise and the Vancouver division all got the axe.
It's interesting to me that you keep claiming that Dead Rising 4 is "more fun" than Cyberpunk 2077 when you've already admitted that you've never touched Cyberpunk nor have any intention to.

More stable? Almost certainly. More fun? Not so sure about that. I'm 30 hours into Cyberpunk 2077 and really enjoying it (despite all of the flaws with the game which I could talk about for literally hours, and have). Comparatively I couldn't be bothered to get more than a couple of hours into any of the Dead Rising games before they annoyed me enough to stop playing (though I'll readily admit that Dead Rising 1 and 2 are good games, I just can't stand time limits in Sandbox games).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's interesting to me that you keep claiming that Dead Rising 4 is "more fun" than Cyberpunk 2077 when you've already admitted that you've never touched Cyberpunk nor have any intention to.
And your point being what? I am not wasting $60 on a game that ain't close to finish no matter which platform. You must have missed my other posts, so read those while you're at it.

More fun? Not so sure about that. I'm 30 hours into Cyberpunk 2077 and really enjoying it (despite all of the flaws with the game which I could talk about for literally hours, and have).
Congratulations, you have a different opinion. Welcome to life and the Internet. I don't care nor does it bother me. Glad you're having fun. I rather play other games in a cyberpunk setting. I made this super clear in the thread early on.

Comparatively I couldn't be bothered to get more than a couple of hours into any of the Dead Rising games before they annoyed me enough to stop playing (though I'll readily admit that Dead Rising 1 and 2 are good games, I just can't stand time limits in Sandbox games).
Ahem....
Okay then. I'm not a big Dead Rising fan either, but other than four, I respect the series for what it did and accomplished. It's one of the better zombie games anyway. Zombie game or not, they're still games better than Cyberpunk. Especially those that are in a cyberpunk setting that came out recently.
I don't care much for the time limit either, but 2 and especially 3 give you way more leeway and are much more forgiving. Seriously, 3 let's you dick around a lot. I wish 3 had gotten ported to PS4 by now. It should have. I would love to play the Ultra Dead Rising 3 DLC so much. A tribute to everything Capcom, and it is fun. 4 does not have the time limit, but prepare to be bored out of your fucking skull and even more frustrated.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And your point being what? I am not wasting $60 on a game that ain't close to finish no matter which platform. You must have missed my other posts, so read those while you're at it.
Oh I totally understand you not wanting to play a half-baked game. I just don't understand how you can claim that one game is "more fun" than another game when you've never touched said game.

You can level many criticisms at Cyberpunk without ever playing it, but saying that it's less fun than Dead Rising 4 (or any other game) isn't a judgement that you can make unless you've actually played both games, which I know you haven't.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You can level many criticisms at Cyberpunk without ever playing it, but saying that it's less fun than Dead Rising 4 (or any other game) isn't a judgement that you can make unless you've actually played both games, which I know you haven't.
By who's authority? Certainly not CDPRs. Not some grand council that's an overseer of all things gaming and gamers. Sure as hell not yours. If you like Cyberpunk, more power to you. But guess what? I did not come to this forum for your fucking approval or standards. Get over it. It's my opinion and I am sticking to it. They are both bad games that were rushed out the door either way. Even if I take Dead Rising out of the equation, there are better games with a cyberpunk setting that I am playing, played, or rather be playing. You have game and you're having your fun. I am not taking that away from you. I don't know why your being so anal or pedantic about, but I don't give rat's ass. So cut the crap and go back and play what gives you joy, and I am gonna play what gives me joy.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
By who's authority? Certainly not CDPRs. Not some grand council that's an overseer of all things gaming and gamers. Sure as hell not yours. If you like Cyberpunk, more power to you. But guess what? I did not come to this forum for your fucking approval or standards. Get over it. It's my opinion and I am sticking to it. They are both bad games that were rushed out the door either way. Even if I take Dead Rising out of the equation, there are better games with a cyberpunk setting that I am playing, played, or rather be playing. You have game and you're having your fun. I am not taking that away from you. I don't know why your being so anal or pedantic about, but I don't give rat's ass. So cut the crap and go back and play what gives you joy, and I am gonna play what gives me joy.
You simply can't say that something is or isn't fun without playing it, just like you can't say that something does or doesn't taste good without having tried it.

It's like those people who say they don't like sushi because they don't like raw fish, but they've never actually tried raw fish in their lives. They can't say that they don't like raw fish, they just don't like the idea of eating it.

You can't make a value judgement of whether Cyberpunk is or isn't fun because you haven't picked up and played it. You can say that the game doesn't appeal to you for any number of issues, you can say you don't like what you've seen of the gameplay, you can even say that you don't enjoy that style of game.

What you can't say is that the game isn't fun, because while you're completely right that whether or not something is fun is subjective it's a subjective evaluation that requires experience. Experience you have already stated you don't have or want.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You simply can't say that something is or isn't fun without playing it, just like you can't say that something does or doesn't taste good without having tried it.
You can't make a value judgement of whether Cyberpunk is or isn't fun because you haven't picked up and played it. You can say that the game doesn't appeal to you for any number of issues, you can say you don't like what you've seen of the gameplay, you can even say that you don't enjoy that style of game.

What you can't say is that the game isn't fun, because while you're completely right that whether or not something is fun is subjective it's a subjective evaluation that requires experience. Experience you have already stated you don't have or want.
Semantics and nothing more. While you have some points, I know myself more than you know me. You can't tell what's fun for me and what is not. From what I've seen, I am not gonna have fun with the game. I am not spending $60 on it. Hell, even after everything is "fixed" and in the state it should have been in the first place, I'll still have no interests and will not be spending money on sales or lesser prices. Listen and put a sock in it: If you are having fun, more power to you. I don't care about your goddamn approval. Play C2077 and move on with your life. If you keep being repetitive and constantly bringing up, I will ignore you. You can keep crying all day, I won't be listening.

It's like those people who say they don't like sushi because they don't like raw fish, but they've never actually tried raw fish in their lives. They can't say that they don't like raw fish, they just don't like the idea of eating it.
I like high quality sushi.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Semantics and nothing more. While you have some points, I know myself more than you know me. You can't tell what's fun for me and what is not. From what I've seen, I am not gonna have fun with the game. I am not spending $60 on it. Hell, even after everything is "fixed" and in the state it should have been in the first place, I'll still have no interests and will not be spending money on sales or lesser prices. Listen and put a sock in it: If you are having fun, more power to you. I don't care about your goddamn approval. Play C2077 and move on with your life. If you keep being repetitive and constantly bringing up, I will ignore you. You can keep crying all day, I won't be listening.
I like high quality sushi.
Hey, I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game or anything, I'm just saying that the argument you're using is flawed.

Also I'm not sure that you actually understand what "semantics" is. Semantics are important and are the basis for the logical use of language. It's not a magical phrase for the dismissal of an argument.

I mean you're argument has basically boiled down to

"This shitty game sucks because it's less fun than this other shitty game that was released in just as shitty a state."

How do you know it's less fun?

"Because shut up."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How do you know it's less fun?
Because I know me; end of fucking lecture. We're done here; moving on to something else. I am gonna go play Age of Calamity and Zombie Army 4. You have fun arguing with yourself.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I wanted to try it at launch (first time ever for a CDPR game personally) and the price doesn’t change before or right after release? Also the GoG version comes with a ton of extras as usual. I knew I wanted to play it anyways, plus several YouTubers like Skill-Up were already talking it up on PC for what that’s worth.
He did say the game was unfinished. Plus, at least for me, all the things I highly value in a game he said weren't in it. The line "Broadly speaking, Night City looks and feels far more impressive than it plays" had me significantly disinterested in playing it even when it does get finished because that aspect isn't going to be patched in.

Because pre-ordering, from an actual store anyway, is in my view a clever method of paying for the game over time without one blowing an entire entertainment spending budget in one go.

So there, that’s a reason you can pre-order. In fact this kind of thing used to happen all the time.
Or you can like put $5 per week/fortnight/month in a jar and pay for it that way. Or you can set up your account to auto move the money into say your PayPal account and only use that account for gaming purchases. Or you can just not get say that $5 Starbucks once a week (or whatever your daily vice is if you have one). There's many ways of paying for something over time that doesn't involve giving your money to another company that they make money off of.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
he only time I ever pre-order is usually if it's a niche game or game where there's only going to be limited copies. or if I know I'm going to be playing a crap out of the game. Otherwise, I rarely pre-order games. Especially of the AAA variety.
I will pre-order when it comes with extra shit, like soundtracks or bonus items, and only when it's a game I know I wanna buy anyway. It's not like you can't refund digital games anymore, so there is no risk.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean Hipster has a point dude. You can talk made shit about CyberPunk, but there are somethings you can't rightly say without playing it or any game. The game being fun is one of them. You can say "it doesn't look fun to me" which is opinion, but outright saying the game can't possibly be fun is just hyperbole. Hating on a game is fine, but sometimes the way you say it just doesn't sit right.

And you raging about someone questioning your opinion also seems like a bad reaction. That's the point of a forum, to have opinions and discuss each other's opinions. If you are outright going to shutdown any conversation about your opinion then you being here posting your opinion serves no purpose. And getting mad because others may question your opinion is also counter productive.

Take a deep breath and calm down my dude. There is nothing to be that made about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dude I love art books! I never look at them, but I like having them......it's weird.
I know know why you would do that. I love reading and viewing art books. The best parts are seeing the storyboards and background art game. It's even better with the concept art. The art books that came with my pre-orders I've enjoyed the most are Killer Is Dead and Code of Princess (3DS).