Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
And that Houseman is why no one takes you seriously or believes what you say, because you truly believe that the weather is partisan.
I truly believe that if lying about the weather is the baseline for what makes a party irredeemable, then any other lie of greater import than the weather, which is something every political party, and probably every human has done at some point, also makes you irredeemable. Simple.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Don't need to. The baseline threshold is one lie about the weather before a person is irredeemable. Any lie greater than that must therefore mean the person is also irredeemable.
That's not what anyone was implying. What people are implying is that if you're willing to lie about the weather from yesterday or the size of your crowd, you'll lie about anything. Thus, you're not credible.

So the democrats are just as bad as the republicans. Got it.
Yes, they're both the bad guys, why are you dedicating so much time and effort to caring which bad guy won an election and whether or not it was rigged? It's been rigged for a very long time now.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
That's not what anyone was implying. What people are implying is that if you're willing to lie about the weather from yesterday or the size of your crowd, you'll lie about anything. Thus, you're not credible.
That seems strange. So, the less important and impactful the lie is, the less credible you are. The more important and impactful the lie is, the more credible you are.
Lie about embezzling funds? Free pass. Lie about what happened to the candy on the desk? You're a pathological liar.

Yes, they're both the bad guys, why are you dedicating so much time and effort to caring which bad guy won an election and whether or not it was rigged? It's been rigged for a very long time now.
Because it's fun.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I think that sentiment fails to properly judge what sort of a society China is. China and a lot of dictatorships like it may not be democracies but there is still some social contract between the government and the population. On some level the population is aware that they are living under dictatorships and that their rights are slowly chipped away. They accept this partially out of fear but more importantly they accept their limited rights under the promise of higher living standards. Putin isn't popular because the Russians are so impressed with his dictatorial traits but because under his rule their living standards were raised and the post soviet chaos seemed to end. The same is true for Erdogan who is also given a pass because his early rule saw a lot of economic growth and with Jinping its the same story.

Even these dictatorship or semi dictatorship are beholden to the people in their own ways. Jinping gets away with a lot of what he does because he promises the population prosperity and order. To a large extend he even delivers on it, even if at the expense of their freedom. Him knowingly creating a virus and unleashing it on his own population explicitly breaks that promises and this affects the legitimacy of his autocracy.
I hear that China was desperate though. Why did the entire apparatus of the Left appear to go into over-drive to beat Trump in 2020? Why not just see Trump as an anomaly, continue to boil the frog slowly and wait him out for 4 years? It is argued, because China doesn't have 4 years. They're starting to experience some economic pains now.

ITMT: My missus thinks we just got a $2K stimulus. I thought Trump relented and we're getting $600. Any news on that? Regardless of who wins by January 7, and I think it will be Biden, is this the last we can expect?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I hear that China was desperate though. Why did the entire apparatus of the Left appear to go into over-drive to beat Trump in 2020? Why not just see Trump as an anomaly, continue to boil the frog slowly and wait him out for 4 years? It is argued, because China doesn't have 4 years. They're starting to experience some economic pains now.
Its not China that didn't have 4 years. Its America. When a demagogue is assaulting your democracy and has already made great progress then you cannot effort to give him four more years to finish the job. Trump not becoming the American Orban hinges on him not getting the time to become one. There are also things like global warming or wealth inequality that needed to have been addressed decades ago but wouldn't even be items of consideration for four long years if Trump won.

If anything China would have benefited from four more years of Trump. Maybe they would have taken an economic hit, but it would also have ensured their greatest obstacle was plunged into chaos and incompetence domestically, while internationally isolating itself and creating a power vacuum China could easily fill.

Reactions: gorfias

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
ITMT: My missus thinks we just got a $2K stimulus. I thought Trump relented and we're getting $600. Any news on that? Regardless of who wins by January 7, and I think it will be Biden, is this the last we can expect?
Trump did indeed relent. But now the House has passed a motion to increase the direct payments to 2k. It now depends on the Senate.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
China likes predictability and Trump makes politics via moodswings.

But overall i don't think the Trump presidency was actually bad for China. Before he became president, there were a couple of initiatives in the works for the US and the EU to pressure China via the WHO on a lot of issues like dumping, intellectual property, human rights etc. But Trump attackes the EU and China at the same time and basically dismantled the WHO while giving China lots of publicity for being treated unfairly.

I also haven't China seen as particularly active in the election this time.

Reactions: gorfias

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
See, just making accusations does nobody any good. You say they're "fueling distrust", I say they're saying the same things about the shortcomings of mail-in ballots as both parties have been saying for decades. I say "lying" and you say, I dunno, that nobody ever said that mail-in ballots have always been secure and nobody ever said a word about them until now? Which can easily been disproven? I don't know what you'll say, but you probably won't agree.
I'm sorry, but I've said these arguments before, and I'm just really bored with them.

There is no evidence of substantial fraud in major national US elections in recent history. Trump made claims of fraud in 2016, raised a commission which found nothing, he and his party did nothing relevant or thorough to prevent fraud, and then in the lead up to 2020 claimed there will be mass fraud again. Now, challenged to prove it after the election, again they have presented nothing substantial to defend their allegations. I am happy for them to continue investigating responsibly, and I am happy for a commission to review election procedure across the country. I am fed up, however, with the hysteria and bullshit over a million nothingburgers, which is just a farcical PR campaign to soothe the ego of a bad loser president, fuel the angst of his bad loser supporters, and to try to delegitimise the incoming president.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Trump did indeed relent. But now the House has passed a motion to increase the direct payments to 2k. It now depends on the Senate.
Wife says she received a text saying the $ is on the way. If so, I'm thinking it is $600 and maybe if the Senate passes this thing, the balance will come? Really not sure.
ITMT: I'm reviewing to see if a President Biden be able to revive the Paris Climate Accords or the Iran Nuclear deals.
EDIT:

Climate Accords, check. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/20/biden-to-rejoin-paris-climate-accord-heres-what-happens-next-.html
Iran Deal: they're trying: https://nypost.com/2020/12/24/group-of-house-democrats-urges-joe-biden-to-rejoin-iran-nuclear-deal/

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I truly believe that if lying about the weather is the baseline for what makes a party irredeemable, then any other lie of greater import than the weather, which is something every political party, and probably every human has done at some point, also makes you irredeemable. Simple.
There is a difference between Trump and Republicans. However, some Republicans will follow Trump's lies, either because they're paid to (like WH staff) or because they just take his word for it. And then some other Republicans will lie because their political careers depend on being popular, and if enough Republican voters believe a lie, they'll go along with it to keep their jobs. In that way a lie, even an obvious one, can stretch a very long way, and why I would prefer senior politicians with a relatively high respect for the truth.

Trump is one of the biggest liars on the planet. If you'd care to read, he's always been a compulsive liar, long before he was a politician. He lies and cheats as easily as most people breathe. But lying about trivial things does matter. Who bothers lying about trivial things - what's the point? I think it very much says something about someone's character. What precisely drives them to do so might vary, but in many of those situations, it means they are very likely to lie about important things, too. And let's bear in mind just how brazenly Trump lies. He will lie to you about what you can plainly see with your own eyes.

From here we might move on to Adolf Hitler (genuinely, without a Godwin!), and the concept of the "Big Lie" from Mein Kampf:

All this was inspired by the principle—which is quite true within itself—that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.

It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.

Here Hitler nails down two important things. Firstly, that many people are motivated by emotion, not reason: they'll believe shit because they want to, not because it is the most likely answer by evidence. Secondly, that most people are not experienced in dealing with someone who is prepared to lie blatantly and forcefully, because so few do lie so grotesquely. Rather than dismiss such lies, instead they start doubting themselves or finding excuses.

For instance, you trying to explain away Trump lying about the weather and the size of the crowd - maybe he was mistaken, rose-tinted spectacles, etc. You can't quite comprehend how anyone could lie like that, so obviously and confidently in contravention of the evidence, it does not compute. So you grope around for any reason other than the fact he's just straight up lied to you. And congratulations, that demonstrates why expert liars do it: because to at least some degree, it works.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That seems strange. So, the less important and impactful the lie is, the less credible you are. The more important and impactful the lie is, the more credible you are.
Lie about embezzling funds? Free pass. Lie about what happened to the candy on the desk? You're a pathological liar.
What Agema said ^^^

There are also things like global warming or wealth inequality that needed to have been addressed decades ago but wouldn't even be items of consideration for four long years if Trump won.
Biden and the democrats aren't going to do anything about either of those.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I would concur with the Financial Times on this issue:

I think Biden has clearly stated his willingness, but if tries to really push, there's a solid brick wall of Republican legislators awaiting him who'd kill it just for the sake of gratuitous obstruction, even if they weren't in the pockets of the oil industry.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Perhaps but there is at least a fighting chance with the Democrats while Republicans are fiercely opposed to even the suggestion of looking into these matters. At least democrats face some pressure to actually look into it.

Its a grim future either way but I'd rather have a fighting chance then none at all.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
They might not bother making things worse, which is a step up.
I would concur with the Financial Times on this issue:

I think Biden has clearly stated his willingness, but if tries to really push, there's a solid brick wall of Republican legislators awaiting him who'd kill it just for the sake of gratuitous obstruction, even if they weren't in the pockets of the oil industry.
Perhaps but there is at least a fighting chance with the Democrats while Republicans are fiercely opposed to even the suggestion of looking into these matters. At least democrats face some pressure to actually look into it.

Its a grim future either way but I'd rather have a fighting chance then none at all.
Anything Biden and the democrats pass will be standards that the companies are either already at or already moving towards. They're not going to enact any regulations that companies would be uncomfortable with. With regards to energy, the republicans are fine with fossil fuels still, the democrats "want" stuff like solar and wind that keeps fossil fuels "locked in", yet nuclear is by far the best option.

Our 2 current parties is basically the tagline for Aliens Vs Predator

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Trump is one of the biggest liars on the planet. If you'd care to read, he's always been a compulsive liar, long before he was a politician. He lies and cheats as easily as most people breathe. But lying about trivial things does matter. Who bothers lying about trivial things - what's the point? I think it very much says something about someone's character. What precisely drives them to do so might vary, but in many of those situations, it means they are very likely to lie about important things, too. And let's bear in mind just how brazenly Trump lies. He will lie to you about what you can plainly see with your own eyes.
You might be right, seeing as I only started paying attention in November, and had previously filtered out everything I could in order to avoid politics or words from politicians before that.

The thing is, I don't trust the media to tell me what is true and what is false. I didn't trust the media in 2015 when they painted Trump as the world's worst human being, and I certainly don't trust them now. I saw it as an attack, as propaganda, as trying to influence the populace into believing what they want them to believe.

I was sick of 24/7 Trump coverage, and Trump headlines being on the news every day, so I started filtering it out.

I am not a republican or a democrat, so I have very little bias when it comes to one party or one candidate over another. What I did notice, however, was hate, the likes of which I had never seen for any other candidate previously.

I think you have fallen for that hate. You have fallen for the propaganda. It is not genuine, but manufactured elsewhere. If Obama had been the target of a 5 year propaganda campaign and attacked by the mainstream media, you would likely be saying the same things about him as you are about Trump.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
What I did notice, however, was hate, the likes of which I had never seen for any other candidate previously.
And have you considered that Trump might have been intensely deserving of all that hate? Trump might be more hated than many other candidates. But how many other politicians are openly corrupt businessmen? How many gloat about grabbing woman's by the pussies, set up fake universities to scam students out of their money, host fraudulent charities, got in trouble with trying to block black tenants, have tax payers directly fund their golf activities or try to blackmail an allied country to intervene in the election?

Trump was uniquely awful and never did anything to hide his many bad qualities. So why wouldn't he be more hated then ''any other candidate previously''

Though personally I'd say Hillary Clinton was more hated then any other candidate. Unlike Trump she wasn't hated for what she did but for what she was and unlike Trump the years of slander eventually destroyed her career in the most humiliating way imaginable.

The thing is, I don't trust the media to tell me what is true and what is false. I didn't trust the media in 2015 when they painted Trump as the world's worst human being, and I certainly don't trust them now. I saw it as an attack, as propaganda, as trying to influence the populace into believing what they want them to believe.
And what if the media painting Trump as the worst human being is directly followed up by Trump proudly proving he is indeed the worst human being? What if all the warnings about him came true and what if Trump proudly puts all his awful traits on display for the whole world to see? What then? Do we dismiss it all just because the media says it?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
And have you considered that Trump might have been intensely deserving of all that hate?
It is not the media's job to hate. It is their job to be unbiased and report facts. By clearly choosing sides, they have demonstrated that they cannot be trusted to carry out their task, and should not be listened to.

Trump was uniquely awful
I'd put forth that Trump isn't, the media just uniquely hates him. It's not like you've ever met him before, or anything. Everything you think of him is thanks to the media. They've painted a picture for you, and you have it hung up on your wall.

And what if the media painting Trump as the worst human being is directly followed up by Trump proudly proving he is indeed the worst human being?
Yeah, what if? I haven't see him prove that to me, though, like I said, I only just started to pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.