Nintendo has bought developer Next Level Games

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

The guys that made Mario Strikers (The Edgy Football/Soccer Games), Luigi's Mansion sequels, Punch-Out Wii, and....Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

This development team from Vancouver, Canada are now 100% a subsidiary to Nintendo.

.....Well, a new F-Zero game made by these guys when Nintendo?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, a new F-Zero game made by these guys when Nintendo?
Probably never. This is nintendo, the same company that won't make another F-Zero game, because it needs to innovate for some reason.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Meanwhile how many dozens of Mario and Zelda games have there been?
There are lots of games. Lots of games! (Bill Cipher demonic voice).

Because Nintendo is lazy and just doesn't want to make another F-Zero without some stupid gimmick. The closest you're going to get to a new F-Zero game right now is Fast RMX on Switch. it even has the same announcer from the F-Zero GameCube game.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
There are lots of games. Lots of games! (Bill Cipher demonic voice).

Because Nintendo is lazy and just doesn't want to make another F-Zero without some stupid gimmick. The closest you're going to get to a new F-Zero game right now is Fast RMX on Switch. it even has the same announcer from the F-Zero GameCube game.
At least you got F Zero GX as a send off. I'm over here having to deal with Star Fox 0 existing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least you got F Zero GX as a send off. I'm over here having to deal with Star Fox 0 existing.
I remember buying the game and then returning it back to gamestop. Luckily for me, I kept it in the shrink wrap. I had pre-ordered it at the time, but I did not know about the force peripheral of using the touch screen. And the fact there were no other alternative methods of control. when I saw the Jim Sterling review, I immediately took it back the next day and got my money back. I got Panzer Dragoon and the other remakes to the sequels to look forward to.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Meanwhile how many dozens of Mario and Zelda games have there been?
Nintendo's statements on not making F-Zero games is because they think it's too similar a franchise to Mario Kart and want differentiation between their franchises, regardless of how many installments the franchises have.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Why would Nintendo want to make another F-Zero game? They already have a highly successful racing game(as in the best selling title for the Nintendo Switch) in the form of Mario Kart.

And for that matter: why do you want a new F-Zero game? Can't Mario Kart cover the basic requirements of a potential F-Zero game?

Feel free to assume I'm an idiot since I am not really into racing games, so it's possible that I've missed a fundamental difference between the two series.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And for that matter: why do you want a new F-Zero game? Can't Mario Kart cover the basic requirements of a potential F-Zero game?
No. Not everyone can play Mario Kart all the time. People love futuristic racers. It's called having variety in life. Even though I am more of a Wipe Out fan, F-Zero should have a new game. Maybe, you can't imagine the great potential, but I can. A multiplayer online racer with over 40 players racing against each other. You can even have a battle royale style racing mode where the person in last place ship will explode until there is only one! I'd be down for that awesome shit!

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
No. Not everyone can play Mario Kart all the time. People love futuristic racers. It's called having variety in life. Even though I am more of a Wipe Out, F-Zero should have a new game. Maybe, you can't imagine the great potential, but I can. A multiplayer online racer with over 40 players racing against each other. You can even have a battle royale style racing mode where the person in last place ship will explode until there is only one! I'd be down for that awesome shit!
So is it just aesthetics that separates the two franchises? If so, my previous post still stands.

Regarding a last-man-standing-version of a racer: excellent idea. No really, I think that could be a really fun game idea. I don't see why that couldn't just be a mode in Mario Kart though.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No. Not everyone can play Mario Kart all the time. People love futuristic racers. It's called having variety in life. Even though I am more of a Wipe Out, F-Zero should have a new game. Maybe, you can't imagine the great potential, but I can. A multiplayer online racer with over 40 players racing against each other. You can even have a battle royale style racing mode where the person in last place ship will explode until there is only one! I'd be down for that awesome shit!
I'm inclined to agree with you, but at the same time, if they're saying "we're not inspired to make this any different than Mario Kart", do you really want the game they would make if they forced themselves too?

The best things come from people excited to make them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So is it just aesthetics that separates the two franchises? If so, my previous post still stands.

Regarding a last-man-standing-version of a racer: excellent idea. No really, I think that could be a really fun game idea. I don't see why that couldn't just be a mode in Mario Kart though.
It's not just asthetics, F-Zero is a fucking fast game. Faster than Burnout and Mario Kart. The gameplay is on a different difficulty level than either of the two I just mentioned. Look at footage of the GX on GameCube or Fast RMX to see what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Bedinsis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The best things come from people excited to make them.
There are people excited to make them, whether they're involved with Nintendo or not. Fast RMX is proof of that. Either way, it's the old fools at the top set in their ways or those in charge of developing that feel the need to "innovate" just to make a new game, which is bullshit. Just make a fun ass arcade racer. Fuck your innovation! That does not stop the over 20 dozen of Mario, Zelda, and Kirby games. So their excuses are hypocritical and bullshit. They lack vision and not using certain franchises to their full potential.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Lap (or time) elimination modes are actually really common in racing games.

Also kinda gross for non-fans to go "Why do we need more <genre> games? You already got one"

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There are people excited to make them, whether they're involved with Nintendo or not. Fast RMX is proof of that. Either way, it's the old fools at the top set in their ways or those in charge of developing that feel the need to "innovate" just to make a new game, which is bullshit. Just make a fun ass arcade racer. Fuck your innovation! That does not stop the over 20 dozen of Mario, Zelda, and Kirby games. So their excuses are hypocritical and bullshit. They lack vision and not using certain franchises to their full potential.
While I agree with you, I do want to point out that while there's dozens of Mario, Zelda, and Kirby games, they do all have a unique gimmick that previous entries don't have.

If only they could innovate their stories as well...

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Also kinda gross for non-fans to go "Why do we need more <genre> games? You already got one"
I didn't say "need", I said "want". I was curious about what made F-Zero appealing in particular.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I didn't say "need", I said "want". I was curious about what made F-Zero appealing in particular.
It's video games, need / want are interchangeable. We don't NEED any games.

But as has been said, they're mechanically different. MarioKart doesn't even scratch the itch for many racing fans. I personally chalk it up more as a party game than a racing game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm not trying to be snide, but does anyone really care? Far as I can tell, NLG doesn't have any breakout hits. I had to look up who they even were.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'm not trying to be snide, but does anyone really care? Far as I can tell, NLG doesn't have any breakout hits. I had to look up who they even were.
I cared because I actually enjoyed their Punch Out game on the Nintendo Wii and their Luigi's Mansion games.

They clearly have talent to make solid games.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Why would Nintendo want to make another F-Zero game? They already have a highly successful racing game(as in the best selling title for the Nintendo Switch) in the form of Mario Kart.

Feel free to assume I'm an idiot since I am not really into racing games, so it's possible that I've missed a fundamental difference between the two series.

Is Mario Kart or any other racer this FAST? Also no items like throwing shells into someone. This game is pure skill based racing.