Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Honestly, it is a good game on PC. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Usually when someone does a subpar port, there is not nearly that much outrage. Why this time ?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Usually when someone does a subpar port, there is not nearly that much outrage. Why this time ?
What Gethsemani said, plus they outright lied about the state of the game to avoid upsetting the precious shareholders, who ended up losing a ton of $$ anyways due to the game having a shitshow launch. They also lied about all the features the game was supposed to have from earlier trailers that either never made it into the game, or were severely downgraded.

They essentially boasted and boasted and boasted about the game (ironically since about the time when CDPR became a publicly traded company, hint hint) and failed to deliver on a scale that even eclipses the Mass Effect: Andromeda calamity. That the game is actually decent on PC just shows they should’ve stopped there and continued fixing the other versions, which would have staved off the majority of the deep muck and mire they now they find themselves in.

The worst part is that’s also all it would’ve really taken to avoid ruining their nearly untouchable reputation, among fans especially. It’s a good lesson for the industry in general on how hype can backfire exponentially. Compare it to something like RDR2, where only a few trailers were shown and the game is now held up as one of last gen’s crowning achievements. Because Rockstar/Take 2 for all their GTA monetizing faults, know how to keep their mouths shut and let the game speak for itself in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Because it's not just a subpar port. On console it launched as an unplayable mess wrapped in lies.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Well, it looks like CDPR has made an apology video:

You know, if this was EA, Ubisoft, 2k, Bethesda, or any of those greedy mofos of a publisher, I would've called it a total bullshit.

But the way they address the issues and offering a roadmap feels.... different

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, it looks like CDPR has made an apology video:

You know, if this was EA, Ubisoft, 2k, Bethesda, or any of those greedy mofos of a publisher, I would've called it a total bullshit.

But the way they address the issues and offering a roadmap feels.... different
You know who else had a roadmap? Literally every game that fucked up their launch. You know how many have followed through? 1.

Everyone should keep giving CD project shit until the game is in the state they originally promised, and then they should keep giving them shit for being idiots.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
You know who else had a roadmap? Literally every game that fucked up their launch. You know how many have followed through? 1.

Everyone should keep giving CD project shit until the game is in the state they originally promised, and then they should keep giving them shit for being idiots.
No Mans Sky never actually did the Roadmap thing, initially they went radio silent before throwing out the first Foundation update. They just kind of pop up like "oh hey, this is getting X next week"

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Haven’t watched the video but there’s more verbal q&a here if extra -
Commitment to Quality, HAR HAR HAR!!!!! I can't help but feel that if they were that committed to quality they would never of released the game as it is.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Commitment to Quality, HAR HAR HAR!!!!! I can't help but feel that if they were that committed to quality they would never of released the game as it is.
Also judging by the likes on their video, people’s trust in them certainly doesn’t appear to have waned much; perhaps unsurprisingly.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Cyberpunk is started to sound more and more like an Anthem-type situation.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Cyberpunk is started to sound more and more like an Anthem-type situation.
Here's the official article, if anyone's interested:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...at-caused-the-video-game-s-disastrous-rollout

TL;DR
  • Enforcing crunch time despite being promised there wouldn't be one
  • unrealistic deadlines
  • Guilt-tripping employees into going overtime
  • The police system in the game was done at last-min
  • The demo is almost fake, given how different it is from the final game
  • And the development didn't start until 2016
In response, Adam Badowski put out this statement:

I mean, all of his responses are pretty typical, but the part where Adam says " Our final game looks and plays way better than what the demo ever was" makes me skeptical

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, all the responses are pretty typical, but the part where Adam says " Our final game looks and plays way better than what the demo ever was" makes me skeptical
I can already tell he is full of shit in this regard. It's Anthem and Colonial Marines all over again.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Here's the official article, if anyone's interested:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...at-caused-the-video-game-s-disastrous-rollout

TL;DR
  • Enforcing crunch time despite being promised there wouldn't be one
  • unrealistic deadlines
  • Guilt-tripping employees into going overtime
  • The police system in the game was done at last-min
  • The demo is almost fake, given how different it is from the final game
  • And the development didn't start until 2016
In response, Adam Badowski put out this statement:

I mean, all the responses are pretty typical, but the part where Adam says " Our final game looks and plays way better than what the demo ever was" makes me skeptical
It’s almost like...his pride is still preventing him from learning a very important lesson from all this. Making excuses. What he should be saying is, “You’re right. We really fucked up there, among other aspects.”

But no.

Also, the response to most people knowing the game wouldn’t be ready...he being in a leadership role should be well aware that if his employees knew what they were doing it would’ve been obvious to anyone. So trying to rebuttal that point is ludicrously disingenuous.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I haven't watched it all yet as I'm watching it in chunks.

@30:32

He talks about how video game loot systems including Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk and many other games are so very pointless. I do not consider picking up tons of garbage to be engaging gameplay. "We need an intervention."

@38:20

He talks about why are people calling Cyberpunk a shallow RPG when it has more depth (as an RPG) than Witcher 3? Well, I've been saying Witcher 3 isn't an RPG since I've played it. No flip-flopping over here.

@43:40

"It's that Cyberpunk wants to be everything and that's just not possible."

Again, CDPR never made a game with one of the many systems they promised for Cyberpunk, yet everyone thought they'd be able to pull like 12 rabbits out their ass.

---

I also think that anyone who followed the hype realizes that those two missions are the two that were showed cased at E3 in 2018 and 2019, the Maelstrom Deal and the Voodoo Boys job.
Yahtzee and Nick saw at least one of those demonstrations and they said they were, IIRC, rather "bored" by it all. The game didn't show off anything they haven't seen before.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
@30:32

He talks about how video game loot systems including Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk and many other games are so very pointless. I do not consider picking up tons of garbage to be engaging gameplay. "We need an intervention."
Looting as many uses, on the most basic level it's a form of gambling, you never know when you're going to get something good. It also offer a nice progression that's (ideally) visually represented on your character. It also offer a natural way to give reward to the player for every combat encounter, even if they're part of any mission and it also means that mission which have useless reward for the player (say it gives a sniper but the player is focused on shotgun) still have the possibility of useful reward. It also gives a reason for the player to look at the environment and notice the small details.

That being said, it's often done poorly, shoving way too much crap at the player which will never be useful, usually color coded so that the player doesn't even look at 90% of it. I think a good comparison is soulsborn and Nioh. Soulsborn have very few weapon and armor (compare to Nioh), but each is somewhat unique in gameplay terms (speed/reach/moveset), it means every drop is worth at least looking at and maybe even try for a little bit of time, this means there's less stuff to loot from enemy/environment but they use the upgrade/crafting system to fill that gap. Nioh biggest difference from soulborn is the diablo esque loot, and I think it's the game biggest failing, it throws five bajillions weapon at the player, but it's almost all crap with no real gameplay difference. As a results I'm way less excited when I loot something in Nioh than a soulborn.

Anyway the video seems to go along with my view that CP is just straight up better than witcher 3, but witcher 3 hype was built by people who either didn't play it or drop early and are just going from they heard from other player.