Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
That movie is pretty much impossible to get a hold off in Sweden these days. Which is a shame, since I've been wanting to rewatch it for the last two years.
It's on the More 4 app (the Channel 4 VOD app) if you can access that in Sweden (at least it was last night, I don't think films stay on there for long).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Yeah I really liked that film, it was a nice change to the werewolf story. Kind of shook it up a bit. And The Tick fan in me just loved that the hero was named Spoon.
It was a big hit in our household because my FIL is a Geordie and was in the army.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It was a big hit in our household because my FIL is a Geordie and was in the army.
hehe, I just loved it because it had werewolves. I love werewolf stories like most people love the vampire genre. So when a werewolf story pops up, I'm instantly more interested than my average level of interest for other things. They usually do it terribly, but still, it's a genre I love.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My sister and dad recently marathoned the Matrix trilogy, while I popped in and out for the action sequences. I have to say, while there's plenty of CGI that looks fucking terrible, a lot of it also looks insanely good for the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dog Soldiers. As good as it ever was.
My favorite Werewolf movie. It's Night of the Living Dead meets the Howling. Hell, it's a better live action Resident Evil than all of the "official" RE films.

Yeah I really liked that film, it was a nice change to the werewolf story. Kind of shook it up a bit. And The Tick fan in me just loved that the hero was named Spoon.

My sister and dad recently marathoned the Matrix trilogy, while I popped in and out for the action sequences. I have to say, while there's plenty of CGI that looks fucking terrible, a lot of it also looks insanely good for the time.
Ironically, the CG suffers most in the sequels more than the original. Especially if we're talking about Reloaded. The original has the right mix of CG and practical effects. I will give the Matrix Trilogy this, it still has better hand to hand fight scenes than any film that tried to copy Jason Bourne in the 2000s and early-to-mid 2010s. I consider the One to be better than The Matrix in terms of martial arts action in the wake of Matrix clones.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fire and Ice.

Whichs features a bunch of people wearing horned helmets breaking into a big white house to overthrow a government. But they are flying on on pterodactyl like creatures, so there's that.

Looks like someone saw 1 Million Years BC, decided to do that, but animated and with a more traditionally epic storyline, and have it not be boring. Frank Frazetta was involved, and it shows, lots of men and women in skimpy costumes, weird landscapes and monsters everywhere.

Not a very deep movie, but quite decent.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So I just watched Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone for the first time in my life.

And my god, I haven't seen these old-school cheesy 1980s-Early 90s action movies in AGES and I love it

And then there's its premise that the world essentially beame a far-left utopian dystopia where saying cuss words gives you a fine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I just watched Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone for the first time in my life.

And my god, I haven't seen these old-school cheesy 1980s-Early 90s action movies in AGES and I love it

And then there's its premise that the world essentially beame a far-left utopian dystopia where saying cuss words gives you a fine.
The movie is basically a better Judge Dredd movie than the one with Sylvester Stallone in it. Though the original RoboCop already won that title ironic as, RoboCop was originally supposed to be a Judge Dredd movie. They coukd not get the rights, so they had to make a new character. And then we got the official Dredd movie in 2011. That ended up being a better Dredd and RoboCop movie, than the 2014 remake. My God the RoboCop remakes sucks so hard.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Oh man, about damn time! I love that film! SO chock full of ridiculousness, it basically is THE '80s-'90s sci-fi action film. The whole movie just says "just go with it" from beginning to end, and if you obey, it's a helluva lotta fun.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Batman: Soul of the Dragon.

Well voice acted and animated, but the story is very much meh. Good enough to waste an hour and half on I suppose. Nice to see a simple, fluid animation and art style from DC again.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

A nice analysis:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Birds of Prey

Wasn't very good. It had its moments, but you're much better off just watching the Harley Quinn cartoon series. It has Harley, Joker, Batman, Poison Ivy, Gordon, and cameos from Manbat, Killer Croc, and Riddler in the first episode. This movie awkwardly dances around its limitations, like budget, and the fact that they can't use characters like Batman or the Joker, eventhough a big part is Harley finding herself after being dumped by the Joker. Again, the series does this WAY better.

The action scenes are pretty lame, with only the final car chase standing out and admittedly being really quite good. But the hyena Harley gets doesn't even get put to good use. And if you put a hyena in a comicbook action movie you are going to have to cash that check, not write him out of the movie halfway through without having him do anything cool. It's especially sad because the way the hyena was spliced into the scenes with Margot Robbie, whom I assume wasn't actually there interacting with it, made it feel real.

Ewan McGregor was pretty tepid as the villain. I just felt little to no menace from this guy. Maybe McGregor is just too boyishly charming. Everyone else was pretty good or decent. There were some odd attempts at ad libbing though which came across rather flimsey.

Also, the typical mainstream blockbuster 'blink or you'll miss it' gay/bi inclussion, so as not to offend anyone, but still collect that thumbs up. Just fucking weak.

All around pretty forgettable.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's especially sad because the way the hyena was spliced into the scenes with Margot Robbie, whom I assume wasn't actually there interacting with it, made it feel real.
Yeah, apparently they were going to have the pair of hyenas, but it was too expensive so they just did one.

IAlso, the typical mainstream blockbuster 'blink or you'll miss it' gay/bi inclussion, so as not to offend anyone, but still collect that thumbs up. Just fucking weak.
I had to stop to think about that...the cartooney bit at the beginning with the pics of random exes, and there's a redheaded woman for like a second? Redhead cause Poison Ivy is, I guess.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, the typical mainstream blockbuster 'blink or you'll miss it' gay/bi inclussion, so as not to offend anyone, but still collect that thumbs up. Just fucking weak.
If you're talking about that little animation in the beginning where it shows how all of Harley's relationships did not work out (includes a red headed female at the end), that's nothing new for the character. In the BMTAS, with Harley and Ivy's first episode together, it's implied they have sex. Harley and Ivy always had an implied on and off relationship after that, depending on the continuity.

On one of the episode commentaries, the creators mentioned that in the original script for "Harley and Ivy", Joker said to Harley and Ivy, "haven't you been busy little beavers"; this actually made it in, but the staff decided they'd gone too far and chose to alter at the last minute.
  • A scene in the same episode has the two walking around wearing nothing but a T-shirt and (maybe) panties each. They spend much of that scene talking about how men are worthless. Was the radar even on here?
  • In the same episode, the Joker pushes Ivy's head down onto his flower corsage before gassing her in a way that is reminiscent of forceful fellatio.
  • Ivy's retaliation also managed to slip by the censors due to careful execution. She kicks Joker in the balls, but the angle of the scene prevents the viewer from seeing exactly where her foot landed. To cement the idea that he was just kicked in the groin, Joker's subsequent cry of "get her!" comes out in a high pitched squeal. In the commentary on the episode, Timm and Dini even say they used that angle so they could say, "No, really, she kicked him in the stomach," to the censors.
  • At one point three men (who resemble the show's creators) drive up next to Harley and Ivy's car and hit on them, with one of the characters slapping his ass and asking if they're going to spank him.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I had to stop to think about that...the cartooney bit at the beginning with the pics of random exes, and there's a redheaded woman for like a second? Redhead cause Poison Ivy is, I guess.
If you're talking about that little animation in the beginning where it shows how all of Harley's relationships did not work out (includes a red headed female at the end), that's nothing new for the character. In the BMTAS, with Harley and Ivy's first episode together, it's implied they have sex. Harley and Ivy always had an implied on and off relationship after that, depending on the continuity.
See, you blinked and missed it; Montoya's ex is the woman with the glasses at the police station. I think she's lawyer or something.

And I know it's nothing new for Harley (or for Montoya), which makes this movie's attempt at representing it even more weak. Not saying both Harley and Montoya should've spent time hitting on eachother or Black Canary and Huntress - considering the message the movie is trying to convey that'd probably feel a bit out of place - but the way they do it makes it come across as the suits still heavily trying to placate audiences who don't want gayness in their movies. Telling the people who advocate for more diversity 'See, there it is, we listened to your grievances', while telling those who are opposed to or annoyed by it 'It's okay, it was just one second. You can open your eyes now and pretend it neeeever happened'.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
See, you blinked and missed it; Montoya's ex is the woman with the glasses at the police station. I think she's lawyer or something.
Oh, right, that. Yeah, totally slipped my mind.

And I know it's nothing new for Harley (or for Montoya), which makes this movie's attempt at representing it even more weak. Not saying both Harley and Montoya should've spent time hitting on eachother or Black Canary and Huntress - considering the message the movie is trying to convey that'd probably feel a bit out of place - but the way they do it makes it come across as the suits still heavily trying to placate audiences who don't want gayness in their movies. Telling the people who advocate for more diversity 'See, there it is, we listened to your grievances', while telling those who are opposed to or annoyed by it 'It's okay, it was just one second. You can open your eyes now and pretend it neeeever happened'.
That's almost certainly what they are doing. Possibly with a lot of patting themselves on the back for being massively progressive.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh yeah her. I forgot about her. Yeah Montoya's lawyer ex-girlfriend. I wasn't really bothered by this, and I did not to draw much attention to it. So I don't see it as a big deal. I went with the flow.