Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only thing I really liked about it was Winstead's Huntress. She really hit the sweet spot of providing pathos while still nailing the comedic aspects of her character. So of course she was almost criminally underused. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her Huntress standalone movie...
Yeah, Huntress was pretty fun. Mary Elizabeth Winstead did a good job at making her this badass doofus. I'm not familiar with the comicbook character though, so I don't know how accurate the movie version was. But you could tell by her performance that she spent most of her life isolated in her own little world building up this serious assassin persona, but then when she reenters society is confronted by everyone thinking she's just kind of a dweeb with a crossbow. It showed the movie can do a lot in a short amount of time, which it unfortunately forgot to do with the other characters.

Also, what was up with Harley assaulting police officers with a beanbag and confetti loaded grenade laucher? I'm assuming this was in response to real life events with BLM clashing with police at the time, and the movie feeling it a bit risky to have the hero kill a whole bunch of cops. Though I would figure that principal fotography was wrapped up before that really popped off, so I don't know. But it feels a bit weird seeing as moments earlier we saw her casually breaking a dude's legs in a club by stomping on his knees, only to have her be super PG while attacking a police station.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also, what was up with Harley assaulting police officers with a beanbag and confetti loaded grenade laucher? I'm assuming this was in response to real life events with BLM clashing with police at the time, and the movie feeling it a bit risky to have the hero kill a whole bunch of cops. Though I would figure that principal fotography was wrapped up before that really popped off, so I don't know. But it feels a bit weird seeing as moments earlier we saw her casually breaking a dude's legs in a club by stomping on his knees, only to have her be super PG while attacking a police station.
Yeah, apparently they were worried about re-enacting that bit from The Terminator that happens immediately after Arnie says "I'll be back.". I didn't get the feel it was about BLM, beyond some of the attitudes BLM was complaining about being responsible for them being too frightened to keep a consistent tone and treat the police the same as everyone else.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, apparently they were worried about re-enacting that bit from The Terminator that happens immediately after Arnie says "I'll be back.". I didn't get the feel it was about BLM, beyond some of the attitudes BLM was complaining about being responsible for them being too frightened to keep a consistent tone and treat the police the same as everyone else.
Comparing it to the Harley Quinn series again, there she just brutally maims everyone equally in a fight. It didn't even have to be gorey in the movie, they could've just had her use a bat or a mallet for some PG13 approved beat-'m-up. It's just that the beanbags and confetti felt so weird when the movie was kinda showing off its R-rating early on.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm Your Woman

About a woman who goes on the lam after her criminal husband kills the wrong mafioso. It's kind of a drama, kind of a thriller. Movie always feels just around the corner, while we're stuck with the point of view of a relatively uninvolved side character. This could be frustrating but it makes the movie incredibly unpredictable.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Comparing it to the Harley Quinn series again, there she just brutally maims everyone equally in a fight. It didn't even have to be gorey in the movie, they could've just had her use a bat or a mallet for some PG13 approved beat-'m-up. It's just that the beanbags and confetti felt so weird when the movie was kinda showing off its R-rating early on.
speak for yourself, the bean bags never felt out of place and felt perfectly in character for someone like Harley. Had me rolling.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The movie is basically a better Judge Dredd movie than the one with Sylvester Stallone in it. Though the original RoboCop already won that title ironic as, RoboCop was originally supposed to be a Judge Dredd movie. They cannot get the rights, so they had to make a new character. And then we got the official Dredd movie in 2011. That ends up being a better Dredd and RoboCop movie, than the 2014 remake. My God the RoboCop remakes sucks so hard.
Yeah I loved that Dredd film in 2011-12. I mean I'm not even a huge Dredd fan, though I recall my older brother having some of the comics back in the 80s or so, and I remember reading them a bit. It was just such a good film on so many levels. I came across this video essay on the film, and it's a really good analysis.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I loved that Dredd film in 2011-12. I mean I'm not even a huge Dredd fan, though I recall my older brother having some of the comics back in the 80s or so, and I remember reading them a bit. It was just such a good film on so many levels. I came across this video essay on the film, and it's a really good analysis.

I'm not a huge Dredd fan either. The only reason I knew about the character, was because of the Sylvester Stallone film. otherwise, I would have never known about the character until 2001 or 2002 with the internet.

I also recommend this video too.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm not a huge Dredd fan either. The only reason I knew about the character, was because of the Sylvester Stallone film. otherwise, I would have never known about the character until 2001 or 2002 with the internet.

I also recommend this video too.

Yeah CinemaWins is a fun channel. He's way more in synch with my personality about films and stuff than Sins is. I don't always agree with Wins, but I appreciate trying to simply be positive about stuff, instead of always tearing it down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah CinemaWins is a fun channel. He's way more in synch with my personality about films and stuff than Sins is. I don't always agree with Wins, but I appreciate trying to simply be positive about stuff, instead of always tearing it down.
I don't always agree with CW either, but I usually can agree with him 80% of the time. Unlike Jeremy, CW doesn't make up sins that make no sense or because he didn't bother to pay attention to the scene or film. Nor does he hide behind the stupid "it's satire"excuses like Jeremy does. it was that and his Fast and furious 7 video where he insulted people for liking the film, claiming they are plugged into the Matrix, if anyone disagreed with him. I literally stopped the video and was like fuck you, I'm done.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't always agree with CW either, but I usually can agree with him 80% of the time. Unlike Jeremy, CW doesn't make up sins that make no sense or because he didn't bother to pay attention to the scene or film. Nor does he hide behind the stupid "it's satire"excuses like Jeremy does. it was that and his Fast and furious 7 video where he insulted people for liking the film, claiming they are plugged into the Matrix, if anyone disagreed with him. I literally stopped the video and was like fuck you, I'm done.
Yeah I can't recall the last Sins video I watched. I just found I was growing weary of the trend of negative criticisms of everything. Like, I'm fine with pointing out things with flaws, but a lot of the YT reviewers are just nothing but vitriol, without admitting even bad movies can have good traits to them.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
speak for yourself, the bean bags never felt out of place and felt perfectly in character for someone like Harley. Had me rolling.
Sure, but they're not used anywhere else. Nor does Harley use a similar sort of joke weapon at another point in the movie. It just felt like kind of a swerve. Or maybe I'm just used to R-rated comicbook movies taking full advantage of it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sure, but they're not used anywhere else. Nor does Harley use a similar sort of joke weapon at another point in the movie. It just felt like kind of a swerve. Or maybe I'm just used to R-rated comicbook movies taking full advantage of it.
Considering the Joker has used some ridiculous joke weapons canonically, I don't see a problem with Harley whipping out a confetti gun or whatever, loaded with bean bags, and shooting someone once "for the lulz" I mean, Mr. JAAAAAY did that shit on the regular if he thought it would be funny. And then pull out a real gun and shoot someone else.

I mean are we really going to cry foul, that a mentally unstable, irrational, possibly schizophrenic, emotionally abused, hostile relationship trauma survivor, sociopath is....inconsistent with their behavior? :p I mean that's just how they roll when they are off their meds. Seriously, being in the same room with someone with serious mental/rational issues, even for just 30 minutes, is an exercise in stress management, and trying to figure out what will happen next.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It usually is the other way around. Once you know a person with mental health issues you can see that they tend to be really consistent with their behavior. They might not follow a logic or mode of comprehension anyone else can follow, but if you know how they usually behave you can pretty much use that to anticipate how they'll behave in their current bout of mental illness. This goes especially true for psychosis, which tends to feature very similar delusions and hallucinations over time and between episodes.

So yeah, Quinn might be the comic book version of mental illness but that doesn't really give writers a cheap out to just make her be zany. "There's method to the madness" as the adage goes.
that has not been my personal experience with someone with severe mental issues and no medication to manage it. Whenever they show up you have no clue what he would do next. And it would jump from moment to moment.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sure, but they're not used anywhere else
I always assumed that particular weapon set was was just leftovers was all she had left before falling out with Joker. Granted, she could have used a few more comical weapons, but the abandoned carnival with all the weapons she had stashed away was a nice bonus anyway. Plus they use the environments for comical effect; especially Harley.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like, I'm fine with pointing out things with flaws, but a lot of the YT reviewers are just nothing but vitriol, without admitting even bad movies can have good traits to them.
That's a problem with a lot of YouTube user reviews when it comes to film. They've either built up this Identity or persona, nor want to be seen as weak or stupid, so they doubled down on their hatred for little to no reason. Or try to act like they're always the smartest person in the room; nearly on top of everything. I stay away from angry review channels for a reason. I only go for legit channel reviews without much gimmicks. It's why I love Double Toasted so much or Outlawvern.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's a problem with a lot of YouTube user reviews when it comes to film. They've either built up this Identity or persona, nor did I want to seen as weak or stupid, so they doubled down on our hatred for little to no reason. or try to exit they're always the smartest person in the room or nearly on top of everything. I stay away from angry review channels for a reason. I only go for legit channel reviews without much gimmicks. It's why I love Double Toasted so much or Outlawvern.
Interesting that you mentioned DoubleToasted, because he recently did an interview with Chris Stuckman, and they brought up that very point about the tone of reviews. How Chris first saw a significant spike in views from his "rant" videos, and so he started to do more of those, under the very logical "well it's the content my subs seem to like, so I should do it." But then he realized he just didn't LIKE being negative, so he tries to be more civil and even handed about negative reviews of things, and not just go off on them with both barrels. Which I fully appreciate.

But yeah, negative videos tend to do WAY better, statistically than positive toned ones

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Interesting that you mentioned DoubleToasted, because he recently did an interview with Chris Stuckman, and they brought up that very point about the tone of reviews. How Chris first saw a significant spike in views from his "rant" videos, and so he started to do more of those, under the very logical "well it's the content my subs seem to like, so I should do it." But then he realized he just didn't LIKE being negative, so he tries to be more civil and even handed about negative reviews of things, and not just go off on them with both barrels. Which I fully appreciate.

But yeah, negative videos tend to do WAY better, statistically than positive toned ones
I've yet to see their interview with Chris Stuckmann yet. I'm glad he got an attitude adjustment, because I never liked a majority of his videos. He did get overly nitpicky or negative about films that weren't that bad. That's why I tuned out of him.