What are you currently playing?

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I have finished the campaign mode of Project Wingman.

Overall, a pretty fun campaign. I will say, however, that I greatly disliked the final boss. Playing the game on Hard, I didn't find it challenging, just tedious. Spamming three different kinds of attacks non-stop does not make for an interesting boss fight, and it was so visually busy it tired my eyes out. Other than that, the game ticked all the Ace Combat boxes I could wish for, and that is the highest praise. Hope they make another one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have finished the campaign mode of Project Wingman.

Overall, a pretty fun campaign. I will say, however, that I greatly disliked the final boss. Playing the game on Hard, I didn't find it challenging, just tedious. Spamming three different kinds of attacks non-stop does not make for an interesting boss fight, and it was so visually busy it tired my eyes out. Other than that, the game ticked all the Ace Combat boxes I could wish for, and that is the highest praise. Hope they make another one.
I found that the last boss was much easier if you launched all your missiles at it when it slowed down and hit it with like 8 missiles at once. But yeah, kinda overblown.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I found that the last boss was much easier if you launched all your missiles at it when it slowed down and hit it with like 8 missiles at once. But yeah, kinda overblown.
So keeping with Ace Combat tradition then.

If you're having trouble killing someone, apply MOAR MISSLES! He can't dodge them all.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pretty much, I do find it rather hilarious to fire like 12 missiles at once at a single target.
Well, when your jet fighter can carry something up to and including 100 missles(not counting the special ones), why not? That's approaching the number of missiles an Ohio Class SSGN can carry(154 cruise missiles plus torpedos) and the submarine doesn't have to fly.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, when your jet fighter can carry something up to and including 100 missles(not counting the special ones), why not? That's approaching the number of missiles an Ohio Class SSGN can carry(154 cruise missiles plus torpedos) and the submarine doesn't have to fly.
Yeah, its one of the fun things about arcade air combat games. Although I was disappointed they didn't really give the f-14 phoenix missiles. One of the things that made the f-14 so cool aside from its swivel wings was the phoenix missile and how the plane was designed to be able to launch all 6 phoenix missiles at once at various targets.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Still on Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
It's probably the prettiest looking game in the series, and the renewed focus on puzzle rooms is a good send up, but there's a distinct air of Arkham Origins to the whole thing (ie the usual devs were busy so they handed over the assets for a quickie in-house sequel) and the whole thing feels rushed and lacking cohesion. There's an inordinate amount of padding as well in the form of pointless fetch quests, where Lara simply walks up to a bunch of people and checks off dialogue one at a time. And the story just doesn't add up. First off Lara does a Kratos by summoning a tsunami that kills an entire city yet her attempts at owning up to thw responsibility feel self-centered and disingenuous. Then she "discovers" a "lost city" that has been supposedly isolated for centuries from the outside world yet 1) there's an oil refinery next door, 2) everyone speaks English and I just don't buy these people living like America was never discovered yet also having integrated just enough into the modern world. And it looks so silly that the bad guys are dressing up in ancient Mayan costumes and performing ritual sacrifice in a place that simply never feels that cut off from the rest of the world.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Did Jake Chapter 2 in RE6 last night as well... and god damn it, they were doing so well. Then the snowmobile section happened, about 15 times between the two of us because it demands more precision than the snowmobile is able to give, with no real indication of where the death planes are and aren't. Then the forced stealth section happened, with unclear rules and requirements, and capped off with another chase sequence that wasn't very good. And they almost made the catharsis with the drill at the end worth it, except that it didn't even do anything.

And considering that Ustanak was trying so hard to just straight-up murder Jake and Sherry before, why did it suddenly not do that as soon as we got outside? Makes no sense.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I also predict camera trouble, because having light and heavy attack on R1 and R2 allows you to keep your thumb on the right stick during combat. By switching it to square and triangle that thumb needs to go to the face buttons instead.
Yeah I noticed that. I kept the swapping of the dodge and interact buttons and now I'm thinking of flipping the triggers for normal attack and heavy attack. I've died A LOT since I always instinctively use L2 to block. Witcher 3 really messed me up, doesn't help that God of War has no lock on.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ike fall is a fun little RPG. Fun cast, good music, loads of accessibility options, and a battle system that's a mix between a tactical RPG and Paper Mario. Looking to be a fairly nuanced story on top of it. I recommend checking it out.

Well worth the $20

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More Bayo 2. God the set pieces in this game are amazing. The level and environmental design is god like, and is heads above the DMC series level design. Especially compared to DMC 4, DmC, and DMC5. Also, unlike the reboot and 5, you get to actually go to hell and fight demons. I don't know why Itsuno and his team did not capitalize on this for the 5th game. The short time you are in hell in Bayo 2 gives me flashbacks to Ninja Gaiden II's late game levels. It's visceral, eye popping, jaw dropping cool.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I thought at this point the maker would have finished the roster for making all the demons into anime girls, guess they haven't.

Nope, really I wouldn't say hdoom is sexualized violence either, but to each their own.
Well, Doom is inherently violent, making it sexual and non-violent would be quite a challenge. Not saying impossible, though, though it seems that's more of a novelty than anything people would really want to play a lot, but can't really say.

But doing it halfway, putting the sex stuff in before taking all the violence out is a bit of a mess. You can run into a room where there's both new sexual monsters and old violent monsters, and you're interacting with both in the same way.

Obviously a lot of work went into the mod, but it's like the joke about giving your kid half a kitten is not half as good as giving your kid a kitten.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, Doom is inherently violent, making it sexual and non-violent would be quite a challenge. Not saying impossible, though, though it seems that's more of a novelty than anything people would really want to play a lot, but can't really say.

But doing it halfway, putting the sex stuff in before taking all the violence out is a bit of a mess. You can run into a room where there's both new sexual monsters and old violent monsters, and you're interacting with both in the same way.

Obviously a lot of work went into the mod, but it's like the joke about giving your kid half a kitten is not half as good as giving your kid a kitten.
Did you play it with Doom or Doom 2? I don't know about its current state but when I last messed with it, it had all the monsters for Doom but I think was missing some of the ones in Doom 2.

If you want something silly that is less smexy you can try La Tailor Girl. It changes doomguy into an anime girl and you find new outfits and each new one has different weapons and attacks. I'm not sure if it really does more then that since I only messed around with it a little bit a long time ago when I was also kinda falling out of messing with Doom mods. Sounded kinda neat though.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
More Bayo 2. God the set pieces in this game are amazing. The level and environmental design is god like, and is heads above the DMC series level design. Especially compared to DMC 4, DmC, and DMC5. Also, unlike the reboot and 5, you get to actually go to hell and fight demons. I don't know why Itsuno and his team did not capitalize on this for the 5th game. The short time you are in hell in Bayo 2 gives me flashbacks to Ninja Gaiden II's late game levels. It's visceral, eye popping, jaw dropping cool.
Oh yeah, its so damn cool. I replayed that one a few months ago and damn is it good.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Still Hades. Threw away my 10 win streak with the bow with some really sloppy play and I'm honestly relieved. Playing for win streaks was getting really boring, and bumping up the heat level one by one wasn't that interesting either. I want to play with some other weapons, but didn't want to risk my streak so I just stuck with the bow, but now I'm free to have fun again. I'm going to see if I can just skip to heat 16 and get Skelly's next prize rather than slowly crawl my way along one win at a time.

I'm also going to start trading in my masses of gems for nectar rather than pointless cosmetic items, even though I enjoy the dialogue lines from Hades. Starting to feel like titan blood would be better traded for gems and such when the offer is available rather than horded. I've unlocked all the aspects available and maxed out a couple that I like and still have like 20 to spare. This crap felt so precious in the early game but I could never decide how to spend it, now I'm flooded with the stuff.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I just wish that Bayo 2 was on anything other than the WiiU and the Switch.

I'd really love to play it at a higher resolution than 720p on my 4K TV.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah I noticed that. I kept the swapping of the dodge and interact buttons and now I'm thinking of flipping the triggers for normal attack and heavy attack. I've died A LOT since I always instinctively use L2 to block. Witcher 3 really messed me up, doesn't help that God of War has no lock on.
It has a lock-on (L3 I think), but I can't say it's that great since you fight a lot in crowds of enemies, and you'll want to switch foes on the fly which the lock-on isn't that attuned for. I always have it switched off in the Options except for certain Bosses. There is a soft-lock in the game though that guides your view in combat, and I think you go increase or decrease its intesity in the Options.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Finally started on God of War. Really hard to get a hang of the controls, and only right before I stopped playing did I think to change the control scheme. Attacking with the triggers feels really off to me, and thanks to Witcher 3 I keep pressing circle. Thankfully both issues are seemingly fixed by the new control scheme, altho I expect axe throwing to be more difficult.
Clearly someone never played any of the Souls games.

Picking up God Of War 4 felt super natural to me because the combat takes a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls, but much faster and more freeform (but also more forgiving).