2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic (Vaccination 2021 Edition)

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The funny thing about these cretins is that for all their bleating about the evil elites, all they're really doing is distracting people from paying attention to the obvious and important ways the elites run the show. Lobbying for massive tax breaks and deregulation is apparently just too mundane for them.
That's what's most frustrating. They're doing the work of the people they're rallying against for them, muddying the waters so actual victims and perpetrators are more difficult to find justice for. Not noticing or questioning why the more hardcore of conservatives are circling them with hungry grins.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I love how the Kpop idiots on Twitter who attacked Trump are now attacking Bernie Supporters by posting stupid memes on a hashtag about how Biden lie and pivoted from 2000 dollar checks to 1400 dollar checks.

So attacking a fascist is the same as stopping people from protesting about economic relief.

I am done with K-Pop, and I suspect Biden is behind it or maybe Kpop is a bunch of rich liberals who kowtow to Biden.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I love how the Kpop idiots on Twitter who attacked Trump are now attacking Bernie Supporters by posting stupid memes on a hashtag about how Biden lie and pivoted from 2000 dollar checks to 1400 dollar checks.

So attacking a fascist is the same as stopping people from protesting about economic relief.

I am done with K-Pop, and I suspect Biden is behind it or maybe Kpop is a bunch of rich liberals who kowtow to Biden.
If Biden and The Democrats didn't want to be attacked for lying about the $2,000 checks, maybe they shouldn't have lied about the $2,000 checks :D

I just don't understand The Democrats. You're going to "Fine Print" your way to an absolute ass kicking in the midterms by Republicans doing this shit...

I didn't vote for Biden and I have no intention of ever voting Democrat again (or at least not until one of those clowns throws their full support into M4A or some kind of actual National Health Reform instead of the Insurer Wet Dream that is Obamacare) but this seems like the perfect way to get all the "average" voters (people who don't pay that much attention to politics, which I imagine is the average voter) who saw your TV Ads and messages saying "Vote for us and we'll get you $2,000 immediately" turn into "We'll get you $1,400 maybe at some point eventually" and turn their backs on you.

Or in other words...

Do you want Trump 2.0 Democrats (except maybe the next one won't be a fucking moron)? Cause this is how you get Trump 2.0

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
When there's massive angst and unhappiness in the richest and most successful societies in the world, it should tell you that something is seriously wrong.
Have you considered that may just be the human condition?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I don't mean general unhappiness, I mean political unhappiness.
I'm not sure I see the difference. I think if you take political unhappiness as a sign that change is needed, you end up in a state of perpetual changes. Not so much a slippery slope as it is a treadmill. And I suppose there's upside to that, it's easier to enact improvements in a perpetual cycle of change, but when you say people are unhappy so we need to change, it sounds like there's an end goal to it more than just doing something different that people still wont like.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
We do need a fundamental change to global economics. When there's massive angst and unhappiness in the richest and most successful societies in the world, it should tell you that something is seriously wrong.

We're used to lefties harping on about this, but evidently large chunks of the right are coming to that conclusion, too.
Sounds like the interwar period.

I'm not sure I see the difference. I think if you take political unhappiness as a sign that change is needed, you end up in a state of perpetual changes. Not so much a slippery slope as it is a treadmill. And I suppose there's upside to that, it's easier to enact improvements in a perpetual cycle of change, but when you say people are unhappy so we need to change, it sounds like there's an end goal to it more than just doing something different that people still wont like.
Doomer mindset.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Life intrinsically is a treadmill of perpetual change.

(If that sounds bad, remember that you can also sometimes enjoy the jog, and there is a sense of satisfaction at achieving various targets, or if nothing else these days they do all seem to have these little TV screens you can watch stuff on.)

It strikes me that the unhappiness at the moment is different from that I recall in decades past. It's more pessimistic, angry, frustrated, zealous, and extreme. Perhaps even more, much of it is directed at the institutions of society themselves. People were unhappy about stuff in the old days, but society provided avenues to sort it out. Now it seems to me that people increasingly think that these avenues are blocked, dysfunctional, or hijacked. They will therefore be inclined to create new avenues, and to extend the metaphor, they may level city blocks and redesign the city to do that.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If Biden and The Democrats didn't want to be attacked for lying about the $2,000 checks, maybe they shouldn't have lied about the $2,000 checks :D

I just don't understand The Democrats. You're going to "Fine Print" your way to an absolute ass kicking in the midterms by Republicans doing this shit...

I didn't vote for Biden and I have no intention of ever voting Democrat again (or at least not until one of those clowns throws their full support into M4A or some kind of actual National Health Reform instead of the Insurer Wet Dream that is Obamacare) but this seems like the perfect way to get all the "average" voters (people who don't pay that much attention to politics, which I imagine is the average voter) who saw your TV Ads and messages saying "Vote for us and we'll get you $2,000 immediately" turn into "We'll get you $1,400 maybe at some point eventually" and turn their backs on you.

Or in other words...

Do you want Trump 2.0 Democrats (except maybe the next one won't be a fucking moron)? Cause this is how you get Trump 2.0
You can’t hold a politicians words against them. That would be mean

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I wore a mask to the shops today for the first time. I could feel freedom leave my body the second it made skin contact.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
As of now 2.6% of Finland's population has been given one dose of the vaccine. I still think the risk groups should be the last ones to get it. I know they must be the first because of their medical care requirements should they get sick, but since late March our government hasn't chickened out from showing what matters the most to them. Their voter base. Come the next election in two years I bet people have already forgot that the current politicians didn't make the best known decisions. Finns in general are very faithful when it comes to authorities -- we would have survived a 2-week Ultimate Shutdown of Ultimate Destiny in November. Hell, make it three weeks even. That's how long the current "soft" restrictions have left.

I'm too tired to care much about the moral busybodies as I was back in April and at the start of this very thread. Instead now that people's opinions and feelings during the pandemic are polled and written about in the news I find myself being in the minority of people that are absolutely hurt by the situation. Good for others if they're fine with public events and spaces being closed, I guess. Sure has made the worst year of my life. Even then it could be turned on me because objectively everything is fine.

Rant over. Also wanted to end the economy derail.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
There very much is a difference and it is well-recognized in political thought, especially revolutionary thought.
Ok, but revolutionary thought is super dumb.

Since I'm gonna have to explain that one anyway, I may as well get under the responses. Not every revolution is dumb, sometimes people are genuinely left with that as the best option, but the people who try and manufacture revolution are super dumb, particularly crap like Gethsemani is talking about where people target (use and abuse) poor people to spread their revolution.

The anger and frustration now is different than it was in the 80's and 90's.
No it isn't, you're just more aware of it.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Or in other words...

My general feelings towards everyone and the political situation at large is, "You think Trump was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet. You will BEG for a second Trump term over whoever comes next."

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
My general feelings towards everyone and the political situation at large is, "You think Trump was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet. You will BEG for a second Trump term over whoever comes next."
Catastrophising.

The next four years will be like any four years of any average president, and the USA will step out the end much like it went in.

If anything does go horribly wrong, it's going to be some sort of societal schism or external crisis that would have occurred under Trump anyway.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Pretty much

Democrats are setting up for Trump 2.0 already (and making sure to give him/her the House/Senate in the process) with all this "Fine Print" bullshit with their "$2,000" checks. You finally get Georgia to flip Blue for the first time in ages and the first thing you do is jam a knife into their back. IF we're lucky, Trump 2.0 will actually just be Trump again but I don't think we're going to be that lucky. They're setting up to give Trump 2.0 everything he/she could ever hope for with power but I'm going to go ahead and guess that Trump 2.0 isn't going to be nearly as stupid as Trump 1.0 was (if for any other reason, that shouldn't be physically possible).

But hey, enough Democrats are comfortable with nothing fundamentally changing so it is what it is. When nothing fundamentally changes to Trump 2.0, I want all those Centrists to remember that we fucking warned you and you scoffed at us (at best, some of the Centrists are actively getting in our fucking way because they're so petrified that something might fundamentally change for the better by accident).

I'm not going to enjoy telling them "I told you so" because I'm going to get just as fucked by it as they are but nothing going on right now makes me think that I'm not going to be telling them "I told you so" in two years (and then again in four years).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Catastrophising.

The next four years will be like any four years of any average president, and the USA will step out the end much like it went in.

If anything does go horribly wrong, it's going to be some sort of societal schism or external crisis that would have occurred under Trump anyway.
I'm not talking about Biden when I say next time will be worse. Biden represents the establishment, as Tippy puts it, Trump 2.0 will be politically in opposition to the establishment.

And I still don't understand why you say what I'm saying is catastrophizing. I've just read lots of history books and so I'm seeing the same pattern show up again here.

And I'm not even talking about obscure history, we're going down the same path Rome did. Changes need to be made, the ruling government thinks the short term pains are too much for them and does nothing, some person sees thing need to change and for their own gain and/or a real desire to change things they break rules to make those changes, government smacks them down and tries to go on with business as usual, wash, rinse, repeat.

Trump is someone that wants to be liked, wants money, wants comfort, wants to be popular. 2.0 isn't going to be like that, 2.0 will actually have real ambitions for change, being popular will be a means to an end rather than the goal itself.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much

Democrats are setting up for Trump 2.0 already (and making sure to give him/her the House/Senate in the process) with all this "Fine Print" bullshit with their "$2,000" checks.
What fine print is this? I've read about the fine print in the deal meaning "small business" loans could potentially go to big businesses, but nothing about people not actually getting their $2,000.

...This isn't about it being $1,400, is it? Because, of course, people have already received $600. It would be better to get more-- more is always better-- but this is what was promised, no?

I'm not talking about Biden when I say next time will be worse. Biden represents the establishment, as Tippy puts it, Trump 2.0 will be politically in opposition to the establishment.
If he's in opposition to the establishment, then in what sense would he be like Trump? Trump was peak establishment.