Zack Snyder’s Justice League

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
So, if the Synder Cut doesn't end up being "Totally Redeeming!" like the fanboys apparently think it's going to be, will we hear the end of them griping about it...or will we starting hearing about "Release the REAL SYNDER CUT!" that they're convinced is locked in the WB vault and kept hidden away for reasons(Clearly because it's too good)?

Why am I asking this question? I already know the answer.
I think everyone already knows what to expect from this movie, honestly. Have you seen Man of Steel and Batman v Superman? It's gonna be more of that. If you enjoyed them, chances are you'll enjoy Justice League. If you didn't, chances are you won't. I doubt Snyder is gonna blindside everyone and make Justice League a romantic comedy all of a sudden.

If anyone wants to watch this disaster go right ahead, because my interest died with the release date for November of this year.
It's coming out on March 18th, actually.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
think everyone already knows what to expect from this movie, honestly. Have you seen Man of Steel and Batman v Superman? It's gonna be more of that. If you enjoyed them, chances are you'll enjoy Justice League. If you didn't, chances are you won't. I doubt Snyder is gonna blindside everyone and make Justice League a romantic comedy all of a sudden.
I love Man of Steel, but I found Batman v Superman pretty average and bloated. The theatrical cut of Justice League I found pretty average too.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The only people who think this film is going to be anything even approaching "good", are the people who also (somehow) think that Batman v Superman is literally the best film of all time, and also have Batflek as their Twitter profile picture.

I really don't see how this film is going to be anything other than completely godawful - and this is coming from someone who watched the BvS Directors Cut, and actually thought it was worse than the original. To that end, I wouldn't be surprised if the theatrical release of the film actually turns out to be the best version of this shitty adventure.

That said, I'll probably watch it. I had a great time shitting all over BvS and the original release of Justice League, so im probably just going to get drunk, and sit through this utter shitshow with a massive grin on my face.

Though, it being 4 hours long will probably test my drunken patience. Oh man, that is so long.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think everyone already knows what to expect from this movie, honestly. Have you seen Man of Steel and Batman v Superman? It's gonna be more of that. If you enjoyed them, chances are you'll enjoy Justice League. If you didn't, chances are you won't. I doubt Snyder is gonna blindside everyone and make Justice League a romantic comedy all of a sudden.
I'm gonna be honest. I still haven't seen Batman vs Superman or Man of Steel. I kinda checked of DC's stable for a while after The Dark Knight Rises and came back for Wonder Woman, which I kinda liked(Though I kinda wish Ares would have been her dad as a twist on the divine parentage trope).

I just find the whole circus around the platonic "Ultimate Directors Cut" version of Justice League kinda wierd to watch. When I was younger, I got really into the whole "Directors cuts are the INTENDED vision" until I watched enough to know most of the time they aren't noticeably better. Like the sole exception off the top of my head is the ALIENS directors cut. So yeah, the fact some people are expecting miracles out of this is something my cynical old butt can't relate to very much anymore.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm gonna be honest. I still haven't seen Batman vs Superman or Man of Steel. I kinda checked of DC's stable for a while after The Dark Knight Rises and came back for Wonder Woman, which I kinda liked(Though I kinda wish Ares would have been her dad as a twist on the divine parentage trope).

I just find the whole circus around the platonic "Ultimate Directors Cut" version of Justice League kinda wierd to watch. When I was younger, I got really into the whole "Directors cuts are the INTENDED vision" until I watched enough to know most of the time they aren't noticeably better. Like the sole exception off the top of my head is the ALIENS directors cut. So yeah, the fact some people are expecting miracles out of this is something my cynical old butt can't relate to very much anymore.
Man I *hate* the Aliens Director's Cut. Every change I picked up on made the original much worse.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Mostly the same for me. I saw MoS, and thought it was ok. Had some major issues, but mostly..."meh, it's fine." But I didn't enjoy it enough to want to see BvS, but BvS also had a LOT going against it for me personally. I loathe, absolutely LOATHE, the whole "2 friends fight! who will win?!?!" title fight bullshit kind of story, where all it is, is some arena for fans to divide into camps and argue about how "X is going to spank Y because of Z", and then the other side to counter with "Nuhuh! Y will totally counter Z with A! And turn it around on X!" and it doesn't matter because we all know it's going to be a fucking draw, and nothing will come of it. And if it's something like Thor: Ragnarok, where he fights Hulk, the solution is easy. "Whose movie is it? Who is the title character? Is it called Hulk: Ragnarok? No? Then he's going to lose." I became disgusted with this Versus behavior mostly due to playing a ton of World of Darkness back in the day, and hearing the never ending debates about Vampire vs Werewolf vs Mage, and so I just curl away from any such story like it's radioactive. Hearing that BvS, was unsurprisingly, pretty shit, just made me glad I didn't bother seeing it. And I certainly wasn't going to watch JL, which built off it.

As to director's cuts. Yeah I mostly just don't care that much. I've rarely seen one improve anything, and honestly can't think of one offhand.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
just find the whole circus around the platonic "Ultimate Directors Cut" version of Justice League kinda wierd to watch. When I was younger, I got really into the whole "Directors cuts are the INTENDED vision" until I watched enough to know most of the time they aren't noticeably better. Like the sole exception off the top of my head is the ALIENS directors cut. So yeah, the fact some people are expecting miracles out of this is something my cynical old butt can't relate to very much anymore
As far as directors cuts go, one of the best one and most useful is Dark City Directors Cut. The theatrical cut is terrible, because it spoils the plot within the first 5 minutes with an opening monologue. I didn't know about that detail the time, because whenever my brother and I saw the movie we saw it on HBO and it was usually five minutes after the movie started. But if you ever decide to watch Dark City, make sure it's the directors cut version. It's one of those cases where the director's true vision holds a lot of water.

Man I *hate* the Aliens Director's Cut. Every change I picked up on made the original much worse.
I vaguely remember that the theatrical cut. I was a really small child when I first saw Aliens on cinemax. I never actually got a home copy until I was 13 or 14. I got the director's cut on DVD.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
God, I hate the Director's Cut of Aliens, it's so frikking terrible. Ripley's stupid dead kid that we never knew about, but now suddenly need to care about, and it heavily diluting the original and much stronger bond between her and newt. And Newt's family conveniently being the ones who got sent to the derelict. It's fucking stupid. Nearly as bad as The Abyss Director's Cut.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
God, I hate the Director's Cut of Aliens, it's so frikking terrible. Ripley's stupid dead kid that we never knew about, but now suddenly need to care about, and it heavily diluting the original and much stronger bond between her and newt. And Newt's family conveniently being the ones who got sent to the derelict. It's fucking stupid. Nearly as bad as The Abyss Director's Cut.
I loathe that version. Adding scenes of the mining colony before Ripley shows up just undoes every step to creating tension around their eventual arrival. I hate that they are there, I hate that we even see Newt before Ripley shows up (so instead of going "Holy shit a kid!" like her we go "Oh it's that kid from before") and I especially hate the goofy Troll 2 style zoom on her dad's facehugger while she screams.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The only people who think this film is going to be anything even approaching "good", are the people who also (somehow) think that Batman v Superman is literally the best film of all time, and also have Batflek as their Twitter profile picture.
I don't think its the best film of all time at this point in my life, but I still think its one of the most overhated film, especially since I've read worse comic books that shat on the iconic DC heroes even worse. (Catholic Wonder Woman)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I loathe that version. Adding scenes of the mining colony before Ripley shows up just undoes every step to creating tension around their eventual arrival. I hate that they are there, I hate that we even see Newt before Ripley shows up (so instead of going "Holy shit a kid!" like her we go "Oh it's that kid from before") and I especially hate the goofy Troll 2 style zoom on her dad's facehugger while she screams.
That's one of the bigger ones, yeah. The couple times I watched the Director's Cut I just fast-forwarded past that dumbass scene. Then there's other tiny additions that are supposed to add tension, but since we already know they lead to nothing based on the theatrical version they just come across as utterly pointless. Like the first time the motion tracker goes off before Newt's appearance and it turns out to be a pet mouse, or when the turrets are firing on the aliens and get close to running out of ammo. Oh no, what'll happen? Yeah, nothing, but we already figured because we saw the original version. So why the hell even add these scenes?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Honestly, ignore them. It's what I do with nearly any toxic part of a fandom.

If anyone wants to watch this disaster go right ahead, because my interest died with the release date for November of this year. Still more interested in a Spider-Gwen film or game.
I'm shocked there was even a fandom at all.

I thought like I was the only one in the entire internet that likes Snyder and defend him, a Pariah. I mean I wasn't asking for a Snyder Cut, but I was more "if it happens, cool I guess, if it does not, we move on with our lives"

Also where was the fans after the avalanche of youtubers shitting on his movies with all their hot takes and possibly bad faith critcisms?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You are never the only one.

Also where was the fans after the avalanche of youtubers shitting on his movies with all their hot takes and possibly bad faith critcisms?
They can't be everywhere at once and they're not going to look at every single video a minute. I know Double Toasted got some crap, but they had legit complaints with Batman v Superman. I know the haters left just around when Aquaman came out. They thought it was okay but most of the DC fan boys had moved on to something else or someone else. I can't stand a lot of hot takers either, but not every argument is done in bad faith. If you disagree with the people that's fine and all, but that's life. Not everyone's going to like the same thing you like. that is okay and there's nothing wrong with that. My only problem stems when you start making fun of or mocking people for liking or disliking something and being complete dicks or asses.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

I thought like I was the only one in the entire internet that likes Snyder and defend him, a Pariah. I mean I wasn't asking for a Snyder Cut, but I was more "if it happens, cool I guess, if it does not, we move on with our lives"

Nah, Snyder's movies have failed to become big with general audiences, but they have gotten a dedicated cult audience. Which is basically what this Director's Cut is about. It's not meant to win over people not already on board with Snyder's DC movies in the first place. It's meant to provide closure to the niche fanbase they have found for themselves. Well, and also for Snyder himself, I imagine.

Reactions: BrawlMan

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The root to all this lay in Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.
Watchmen's interesting because it's basically Alan Moore going "yeah if you make superheroes realistic they'd be violent emotionally stunted maniacs and would all ultimately be kind of pathetic" and thousands of people like Zack Snyder read it and decided "yeah if you make superheroes realistic they'd be violent emotionally stunted maniacs which is actually really cool" so then we got the Watchmen movie which is basically just Watchmen but through the lens of someone who doesn't find protagonists either repulsive or sad.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Well the R rating makes some sense. Snyder and Co were making the the DC film universe the darker one compared to Marvel's happy family friendly one.

As for an R rated Justice League.

Well one already exists, yes technically it's Justice League Dark which is a spin off and often lives up to it's name more but it's very much more focussing on the main Justice League rather than the normal Justice League Dark team members.

In Zack Snyders case I kinda wonder if he decided to finally pull the trigger on the whole "Batman and Wonder Woman have a thing" and just actually do a scene with them together, that would likely push the rating up a bit.