Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Also, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is even worse then 06 in certain regards.
The cartoon is pretty solid tho. Decently written and actually funny most of the time. Also bonus in-jokes if you're familiar with Sega and/or Sonic history.
Reminds me a bit of The Crow, but with the dirty disheveled look of Ledger's Joker. Speaking of The Crow, apparently they're rebooting that too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Reminds me a bit of The Crow, but with the dirty disheveled look of Ledger's Joker. Speaking of The Crow, apparently they're rebooting that too.
I thought he looked like some paige from like medieval times. LIke a shoemaker, or cobbler, or some such thing. I did not think "Joker" at all.

As to a Crow reboot. Eh, I mean they've already made several iterations of that, so it's not really a big deal to me. I loved the first film, and the second one too honestly, but at this point, I don't really have any emotional investment in it to really care either way.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Sheer curiosity is now getting the better of me, I kinda feel like it's a moral duty to observe just wtf is occuring on the sole basis of figuring out how much sanity Snyder has left before the inevitable collapse. This data will be of some use, mayhaps.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Sheer curiosity is now getting the better of me, I kinda feel like it's a moral duty to observe just wtf is occuring on the sole basis of figuring out how much sanity Snyder has left before the inevitable collapse. This data will be of some use, mayhaps.
I think that Zack Snyder has briefly demonstrated in some of his previous films that he is quite capable so long as he is made to exercise some level of restraint. This is not going to be the film where that happens. I'm expecting a full on spiritual successor to everything that was horrible about Sucker Punch, except maybe the horniness.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hmm...I dunno. I'm kind of liking the image of bondage nun Wonder Woman, telling some very bad girls to kneel and confess their sins to her, while she ties them up with the lasso. Yes I'm only enjoying that idea for the fetish fuel of it.
And that idea would have been more on point and true to certain roots the character has. That comic was stupid, and I sincerely hope that person is never allowed to write DC Superheroes ever again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic is a baby game compared to Devil May Cry
DmC (2013) is a baby game compared to Sonic in general. A I came to try so hard to be edgy that it's ridiculous.

Sonic is a baby game compared to baby games.
No. Most Sonic games are more fun and are not baby games. They have actual challenge, even if it's not perfect. can we stop dogging on Sonic now? This is about Zack Snyder.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think that Zack Snyder has briefly demonstrated in some of his previous films that he is quite capable so long as he is made to exercise some level of restraint. This is not going to be the film where that happens. I'm expecting a full on spiritual successor to everything that was horrible about Sucker Punch, except maybe the horniness.
I think visually, he's a good director. I just don't think anything that he's in charge of creatively, like writing or whatnot, is terribly good. Like, I think Sucker Punch LOOKS really badass. Visually speaking, the techniques he uses are on point, and really nice. It's just wrapped around the framework of a story that I find incredibly stupid and pointless, so it lessens the enjoyment to the point of basically zero enjoyment for me personally. I remember being in the theater watching it, and finding myself bored. I recall specifically catching myself with my mind wandering about something else. Which is a bad sign in my book.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Well the soundtrack and imagery was ok at least. If he commits to maybe a glorified 4 hour music video, it would be acceptable background input whilst doomscrolling on the phone or using the switch. Perhaps he should look to trying contempory "gritty" (crypto-goth?) musicals as a niche to thrive in: there'd be less expectant fanbases with notable toxic fringes to bear-prod for one thing, and it would probably play better to his strengths.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think visually, he's a good director. I just don't think anything that he's in charge of creatively, like writing or whatnot, is terribly good. Like, I think Sucker Punch LOOKS really badass. Visually speaking, the techniques he uses are on point, and really nice. It's just wrapped around the framework of a story that I find incredibly stupid and pointless, so it lessens the enjoyment to the point of basically zero enjoyment for me personally. I remember being in the theater watching it, and finding myself bored. I recall specifically catching myself with my mind wandering about something else. Which is a bad sign in my book.
I actually don't like a majority of Zack Snyder's work. The only thing I like of his are the Dawn of the Dead remake and Man of Steel. B v S is okay, but I'm not in the mood to sit through it all over again. 300 I always felt indifferent towards and made no effort to see it again. Sucker Punch I absolutely despise and was bored out of my mind. I'm so glad I used torrents for that one. Watchmen I didn't care much for either. Bought it used and gave it away for free.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I was thinking the same thing.

And seriously, can we stop with this sad clown routine? I get that directors/screenwriters want to do something different to make their mark, but it's the damn Joker. The very thing that makes him an effective nemesis for Batman is that he's the guy's antithesis. Batman's dour and disciplined, Joker is literally laughing mad. Batman literally avoids the spotlight, Joker's a bonafide ham who lives in it. Batman is dark, Joker is colorful. Batman's greatest strengths are his theatrical intimidation and deduction abilities, and Joker is not only wholly unintimidated, but wholly unpredictable because his motivation for any given act boils down to "trolling/provoking Batman" probably more often than not.

He's not in it for the money. He's not in it for ideological reasons. He's not in it for power. His entire raison d'etre as a supervillain is making jokes (of varying horrificness) at Batman's expense. He literally does what he does for giggles, whether that is something as harmless as a pie in Batman's face, or brainwashing one of his wards, it's all about reveling in getting (or trying to get) the last laugh over his antithesis. Frowny Joker misses the point. Without the gleeful anticipation of the 'punchline', it's not the Joker.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

And seriously, can we stop with this sad clown routine? I get that directors/screenwriters want to do something different to make their mark, but it's the damn Joker. The very thing that makes him an effective nemesis for Batman is that he's the guy's antithesis. Batman's dour and disciplined, Joker is literally laughing mad. Batman literally avoids the spotlight, Joker's a bonafide ham who lives in it. Batman is dark, Joker is colorful. Batman's greatest strengths are his theatrical intimidation and deduction abilities, and Joker is not only wholly unintimidated, but wholly unpredictable because his motivation for any given act boils down to "trolling/provoking Batman" probably more often than not.

He's not in it for the money. He's not in it for ideological reasons. He's not in it for power. His entire raison d'etre as a supervillain is making jokes (of varying horrificness) at Batman's expense. He literally does what he does for giggles, whether that is something as harmless as a pie in Batman's face, or brainwashing one of his wards, it's all about reveling in getting (or trying to get) the last laugh over his antithesis. Frowny Joker misses the point. Without the gleeful anticipation of the 'punchline', it's not the Joker.
They have to make him grim and serious, because if he's not grim and serious, he's not "serious." Because for some reason, they think a character who is constantly laughing and acting funny or whatever, isn't a scary villain, and won't be taken seriously. "This isn't a children's comic book damnit! This is serious cinema! And there is no humor in serious cinema!! " "but his whole schtick is a psychotic parody of clowns, and laughing is his trademark thing" "LALALALALALAALAAAH!! NOT LISTENING!!"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I miss Cesar Romero’s jolly ‘Clown Prince of Crime’.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I miss Cesar Romero’s jolly ‘Clown Prince of Crime’.
Eh, personally I've never really liked the Joker that much. He's just too extra for my tastes. When he's trying to espouse some kind of philosophy, it's riddled with bullshit, and when he's not, he's just "tee hee, killing and being crazy is FUN!" And I have very little patience for that. Though, frankly, I have almost zero tolerance for mental disorders as super powers/personas in comic books in the first place. Him and Harley Quinn, and the fanbase's obsessive love of them, just bothers me on so many levels. I much prefer far more mentally fucking stable villains, who can articulate an actual ethos, and world view, that isn't founded in batshittery and chemical imbalance.

It's actually kind of depressing how many villains in comics, Batman especially, are basically just mental case studies, given a cheesy gimmick and a name, and just tossed out into Gotham to do shit. At least villains like Mr. Freeze (from the cartoon at least), have a motivation that you can at least understand, if not condone.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Eh, personally I've never really liked the Joker that much. He's just too extra for my tastes. When he's trying to espouse some kind of philosophy, it's riddled with bullshit, and when he's not, he's just "tee hee, killing and being crazy is FUN!" And I have very little patience for that. Though, frankly, I have almost zero tolerance for mental disorders as super powers/personas in comic books in the first place. Him and Harley Quinn, and the fanbase's obsessive love of them, just bothers me on so many levels. I much prefer far more mentally fucking stable villains, who can articulate an actual ethos, and world view, that isn't founded in batshittery and chemical imbalance.

It's actually kind of depressing how many villains in comics, Batman especially, are basically just mental case studies, given a cheesy gimmick and a name, and just tossed out into Gotham to do shit. At least villains like Mr. Freeze (from the cartoon at least), have a motivation that you can at least understand, if not condone.
Well Cesar Romero is from Adam West era Batman. So there’s a totally different mindset at work in how he’s portrayed. You know if he’s gonna kill Batman it will be by Jack in the Boxing him into the tentacles of an exploding octopus.

See also here, Joker getting owned by Alfred.