A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I get it feels fun and like we're striking a blow for reason when we engage certain individuals. But we're not. Even proving one of these people wrong isn't the end goal for them.

They just want to stay current. They just want to be apart of the conversation because someone, anyone might latch onto it. They'll use 'facts' when they think it can keep the conversation going, but ignore anything that pokes holes in their theories.

Case in Point.

She would be entirely correct to fear a right-wing mob whether she knew specifically of the zip ties, the gallows, and the bombs, or not.
I had to take off a certain individual again to see what this is about, and the response Seanchaidh created was in response to the notion that it was unreasonable to assume the crowd chanting "Hang Mike Pence", "Shoot Him with his own Gun", "Kill Pelosi", and the rest... well, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Or you didn't hear your specific name, so you're not in any real danger. Where they yelled" Traitors to the Guillotine", but that won't mean HER necessarily.
This individual will argue that it's unreasonable for one person to receive death threats for simply doing their job and having a different opinion for their entirety of their tenure in office to assume a mass of crazed individuals would be there for her. This is the man you're choosing to waste your time with.
Brawlman is so right. Feeding the Trolls only makes them bigger. And it takes up more and more of our time.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
She would be entirely correct to fear a right-wing mob whether she knew specifically of the zip ties, the gallows, and the bombs, or not.
She should fear the mob as much as any other politician should fear the mob, and as much as any cop or business owner should fear BLM. In all cases, those mobs had general targets that they vented their anger on.

But if that mob has no idea where you are, and never comes close to you, the fear is only theoretical. It is not real. It is not a clear and present danger. It is not a credible threat.

It would be like if, say, BLM set a dumpster on fire at my place of work (they did). I can't rightly claim to have almost burned to death when I was safely at home, miles away from any rioting. I would be viewed as a grifter who is just trying to score sympathy points, wouldn't I? Anyone who believes or defends me would be viewed as gullible, wouldn't they?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
She should fear the mob as much as any other politician should fear the mob,
No, she gets a fair few more death threats than most Congresspersons. Ilhan Omar probably and Rashida Tlaib possibly have her beat, but that would be about it. Maybe Nancy Pelosi, I guess.

and as much as any cop or business owner should fear BLM.
No and wtf

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No, she gets a fair few more death threats than most Congresspersons.
No doubt she does. Every public figure should be getting death threats if they're doing their job right.

But the issue here is: Was AOC's life in danger? Was she right to claim that she was "almost murdered"?

The answer is no to both.
The mob was nowhere near her. They never breached her building.

She's just claiming battle scars that she has no right to claim. She's playing it up for sympathy.
You're defending a lying politician and partisanship is blinding you from seeing this simple truth.

I mean this is coming from someone who believes BLM literally burnt entire cities to the ground.
Quote me saying that, or buzz off.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The mob was nowhere near her. They never breached her building.
It was in the same city and breached the Capitol building, a place you would expect would be pretty well tied down with security. The mob overcame that.

Now, whether or not she said she was almost murdered-- I haven't watched her statement, so I don't know-- it would be reasonable for her to think she was almost murdered in a broader sense. A violent mob overran the security of her workplace (which is, again, where fucking legislation is passed in the seat of government of the United Fucking States) looking for, among others, her. She is absolutely correct to feel that her life was in peril on that day.

You're defending a lying politician and partisanship is blinding you from seeing this simple truth.
No, I'm actually somewhat cross with her right now for unrelated reasons, though the bullshit you're pushing is helping to simmer that down.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It was in the same city
So?

"It would be like if, say, BLM set a dumpster on fire at my place of work (they did). I can't rightly claim to have almost burned to death when I was safely at home, miles away from any rioting."

breached the Capitol building, a place you would expect would be pretty well tied down with security. The mob overcame that.
So? It still wasn't the building she was in.
Breaching security or a breakdown of law and order in one location does not mean anything for other locations.

A violent mob overran the security of her workplace
BLM set the dumpster on fire at my office. I was almost burned alive despite not even being there. This is a reasonable claim to make, according to you.

She is absolutely correct to feel that her life was in peril on that day.
I disagree, for the reasons already given.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
You know, at my former job, we had a two towers kind of setup for our office buildings. They were connected via the skyway (so I guess tunnels in the sky rather than underground tunnels; you had to be inside the tower and therefore past security to get to them).

I feel like if hundreds of people (many armed, many wearing tactical gear, and many shouting "Death to all who work at this place"), I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be sitting in my tower as I watch all these people storm the tower across the street from me. Especially since many of these people specifically are targeting people who work here named Tippy and people who think like Tippy.

But hey...they didn't storm MY tower, why am I being so worried?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
If people were planning to kill someone else, they should at least know where her office is.
If people were storming a Federal building and not planning to get arrested for it, they should at least not take and post selfies of themselves doing it.

We are dealing with complete and utter imbeciles here. There was no forethought; there was no thought at all. Trump just riled them up and pointed them at his enemies.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I disagree, for the reasons already given.
You're not being reasonable.

So? It still wasn't the building she was in.
People correctly said they almost died on 9/11/2001 when they slept in and consequently were absent from their jobs at the World Trade Center. Just accept that you are wrong.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You know, at my former job, we had a two towers kind of setup for our office buildings. They were connected via the skyway (so I guess tunnels in the sky rather than underground tunnels; you had to be inside the tower and therefore past security to get to them).

I feel like if hundreds of people (many armed, many wearing tactical gear, and many shouting "Death to all who work at this place"), I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be sitting in my tower as I watch all these people storm the tower across the street from me. Especially since many of these people specifically are targeting people who work here named Tippy and people who think like Tippy.

But hey...they didn't storm MY tower, why am I being so worried?
But you forget. If someone lights a dumpster next to said tower, you should automatically be equally as scared. There is no possibile way to see that as different

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
But you forget. If someone lights a dumpster next to said tower, you should automatically be equally as scared. There is no possibile way to see that as different
Yes, now you're getting it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Has anyone posted this?

Because if not, it should have been. It's very interesting.
The Leader of the Proud Boys is an FBI informant! In addition to the dumb asses being stupid enough to post their crimes on social media, that was how the FBI was so well informed.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I get it feels fun and like we're striking a blow for reason when we engage certain individuals. But we're not. Even proving one of these people wrong isn't the end goal for them.

They just want to stay current. They just want to be apart of the conversation because someone, anyone might latch onto it. They'll use 'facts' when they think it can keep the conversation going, but ignore anything that pokes holes in their theories.

Case in Point.

I had to take off a certain individual again to see what this is about, and the response Seanchaidh created was in response to the notion that it was unreasonable to assume the crowd chanting "Hang Mike Pence", "Shoot Him with his own Gun", "Kill Pelosi", and the rest... well, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Or you didn't hear your specific name, so you're not in any real danger. Where they yelled" Traitors to the Guillotine", but that won't mean HER necessarily.
This individual will argue that it's unreasonable for one person to receive death threats for simply doing their job and having a different opinion for their entirety of their tenure in office to assume a mass of crazed individuals would be there for her. This is the man you're choosing to waste your time with.
Brawlman is so right. Feeding the Trolls only makes them bigger. And it takes up more and more of our time.
At best they're arguing with a troll, at worst a fascist.

Reactions: BrawlMan