A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Notice how they didn't try and pull this right before the election, they left enough time for it to go through the courts and the courts ruled against it. Should they have? Maybe, maybe not. We have an interesting situation where we have a criminal candidate who is using the fact he was the presumptive nominee then the nominee to avoid criminal prosecution. So, should a political candidate be above the law? We already know a president is, thanks to the supreme court, we can't even investigate presidential wrong doing.
They were doing it before the primaries for the republicans. When someone that is not a lawyer knows something is unconstitutional within 5 seconds of hearing it and the actual court of judges rules the opposite, don't ya think there's an issue?

Trump literally called it a coup, so yes, that implies a downfall of democracy.

Trump has also been saying that Biden and Democrats are a "threat to Democracy" for months as part of his campaigning.

I'm not too surprised Trump said that. I don't really follow what he says because it is rather pointless.

For all this arguing over who is for democracy and who isn't, I always kind of chuckle to myself. Republicans are pretty clearly not for democracy given everything Trump has said but Democrats are also constantly doing everything they can to keep Green Party off of the ballots

Whether it's a good decision politically is irrelevant because how can a party that claims to be saving democracy say that with a straight face when they constantly try to remove other parties from the ballot? Both parties will do whatever they can to make sure that they get to stay in power (which is also why we will NEVER ever see Rank Choice in this country).
The democrats are more dangerous to democracy IMO, their war on "misinformation" is far more damaging than what the republicans are up to.

Oh man. Thanks for the laugh

This isn't even true of the Never Trumpers. Trump, since the 2016 campaign, has been claiming he's there to save democracy. It's his main talking point
Not finding anything here of Trump saying he's here to save democracy with a search between 2014 and 2017.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
They were doing it before the primaries for the republicans. When someone that is not a lawyer knows something is unconstitutional within 5 seconds of hearing it and the actual court of judges rules the opposite, don't ya think there's an issue?
When someone who isn't versed in the law thinks that something is unconstitutional when actual judges and lawyers don't, it's generally indicative of the fact that person doesn't know or understand the law they're upset about.

I'm not too surprised Trump said that. I don't really follow what he says because it is rather pointless.
Then why are you making claims about what Republicans are or aren't saying if you don't follow what the central figure of the Republican party is saying?

Reactions: bluegate and Worgen

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That is actually a benefit for republicans since it would mean if it was ruled he violated the law and was removed from the ballot, they would have time to run someone else.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
When someone who isn't versed in the law thinks that something is unconstitutional when actual judges and lawyers don't, it's generally indicative of the fact that person doesn't know or understand the law they're upset about.

Then why are you making claims about what Republicans are or aren't saying if you don't follow what the central figure of the Republican party is saying?
It was a really basic understanding of how law works and the SCOTUS said as much as well. It is literally the same thing if you have a law saying a murderer can't run for office, you can't remove someone from the ballot unless you have a murder conviction. I don't know why you guys are so hell bent on defending democrat bullshit.

I know the republicans aren't framing the election as a vote to save democracy. Sure, Trump mentioning it at some point isn't surprising, he says a lot of things. He probably has said at some point "I'm rubber and you're glue..."

That is actually a benefit for republicans since it would mean if it was ruled he violated the law and was removed from the ballot, they would have time to run someone else.
No, someone else would win the delegates from those states and possibly have more delegates than Trump and would essentially have Trump lose the nomination. It's the same reason why democrats aren't allowed to vote in republican primaries and vice verse (because the other party would vote for the worst opposing party candidate).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, someone else would win the delegates from those states and possibly have more delegates than Trump and would essentially have Trump lose the nomination. It's the same reason why democrats aren't allowed to vote in republican primaries and vice verse (because the other party would vote for the worst opposing party candidate).
They would still have time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
They would still have time.
I'm guessing doing the ruling right before voting or before it could get challenged would be against the law as well. Or else you'd have both parties doing that to each other then all the time. The Supreme Court can move up cases and whatnot if they are time sensitive as well. All the judges that actually ruled to remove Trump (it was 4-3 in Colorado) should be like immediately fired because their ruling was that bad. I still don't get why you're defending this in any way. Yet you all will b!tch about the Roe overturning or the Rittenhouse results when they are all valid legal decisions. The Colorado ruling was legal nonsense.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Rittenhouse results when they are all valid legal decisions.
Rittenhouse was clearly self defense, but it also would have been self defense if one of his attackers shot him too.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's the same reason why democrats aren't allowed to vote in republican primaries and vice verse (because the other party would vote for the worst opposing party candidate).
That actually depends on state. Different states have different voting rules for primaries. Some are open where anyone can vote in any party primary regardless of their party affiliation, some are closed, where people can only vote in the primary of the party they're registered for, and some are mixed.

In California anyone can vote in the Democrat primary, even if they're registered Republicans, however the Republican party holds a closed primary where only registered Republicans can vote.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal