Gina Carano Fired From “The Mandalorian” Over “Abhorrent” Social Media Posts

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

”Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views,” she wrote.

Other posts, including a quote saying “Expecting everyone you encounter to agree with every belief or view you hold is fucking wild,” and one saying “Jeff Epstein didn’t kill himself,” remained.

I’ve never watched the series or even care about Star Wars. Is it any good?

Anyways, it’s getting really predictable with social media spelling the death knell for celebrities. When will they learn they can only whisper controversial statements to themselves? Maybe she really didn’t care.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
People are just losing their "filters." I don't care if someone is on the side of "Good, she needed to be fired" or "Woke snowflakes are canceling her..." I don't know, maybe DON'T post holocaust pictures? Maybe DON'T say anything at all.

Kind of related... two days ago our corporate IT folks released some "training" on internet safety and best practices. It consisted of a video where 4 co workers were getting drunk together at a party, celebrating a big deal that wasn't finalized yet. One snaps a picture of the co-workers in attendance (one of which who was on the clock at the time.) There was then a multiple choice question about how to best post this picture to social media. Tagging co-workers, not tagging, caption mentions deal, caption just says "celebrating with friends" etc.

And the option I considered to be the best "don't post photos of co-workers while drinking or don't even take the picture" wasn't even one of the choices. Its like they assume that everyone just posts every thing they do and every thought they have. And they assume that, because people don't have a filter anymore and increasingly are just posting everything. Even holocaust pictures for some idiot reason.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

”Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views,” she wrote.

Other posts, including a quote saying “Expecting everyone you encounter to agree with every belief or view you hold is fucking wild,” and one saying “Jeff Epstein didn’t kill himself,” remained.

I’ve never watched the series or even care about Star Wars. Is it any good?

Anyways, it’s getting really predictable with social media spelling the death knell for celebrities. When will they learn they can only whisper controversial statements to themselves? Maybe she really didn’t care.
Thank you for posting this thread. I was about to do myself.
@Kyrian007 good points. We do need to be careful in social media. I was warned for instance, of someone posting a 1st grade class photo to adult friends who were in the photo. It included the teacher's name, which some people use as security question in important accounts. Another posted of using cocaine and was warned, "someday you may be looking for a job and that post can cost you opportunities."

But this story is about more than that.
1) Was Gina out of line? I would write no. I am a Jew and was a Republican (un-enrolled now). Her point is very salient and I think those calling it out of bounds are being cry bullies. They aren't offended. They are exercising power. And they are making everyone afraid.
2) If she was out of line, how far out of line would one need to be to justify this sort of response? UN-Controversial speech doesn't need protecting.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That was a stupid as shit tweet, but firing her is a serious overreaction. What the actual fuck?
I disagree about the tweet. And from @hanselthecaretaker 's post, the link shared? Terrific responses in the comment section. Largely to the effect of her being spot on and that by firing her, Disney has simply proven her right.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
1) Was Gina out of line? I would write no. I am a Jew and was a Republican (un-enrolled now). Her point is very salient and I think those calling it out of bounds are being cry bullies. They aren't offended. They are exercising power. And they are making everyone afraid.
Do bear in mind the people upset over this, also get called antisemitic on a daily basis for having the temerity to call an apartheid state an apartheid state, for no other reasons than the country perpetrating the apartheid is populated by those subjected to the Holocaust (but more increasingly common, the descendants of those subject to it).

"Those who call for censorship in the name of the oppressed ought to recognize it is never the oppressed who determine the bounds of censorship." -Aryeh Neier

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I was about to do myself.
By all means, don’t let us stop you. I might squeeze one off myself today.

OT, how many more cases of celebrities getting in hot water over social media posts do their colleagues need to witness before they realize not to post shit like this? I think social media platforms should have a feature that once you amass a certain number of followers or become “verified,” any post you make should pass through a filter that searches for certain words or hot topic phrases and alerts you before it’s actually seen by anyone. In this case: ”Gina, it appears your post contains the word “Jews;” wanna shut the fuck up, or are you ready to potentially throw your career away?”

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Thank you for posting this thread. I was about to do myself.
@Kyrian007 good points. We do need to be careful in social media. I was warned for instance, of someone posting a 1st grade class photo to adult friends who were in the photo. It included the teacher's name, which some people use as security question in important accounts. Another posted of using cocaine and was warned, "someday you may be looking for a job and that post can cost you opportunities."

But this story is about more than that.
2) If she was out of line, how far out of line would one need to be to justify this sort of response? UN-Controversial speech doesn't need protecting.
I don't agree with her post myself. She's building on what is to me a faulty premise, history being edited. I understand what she means by it and there are good examples out there, but this is a bad example and doesn't hit home for me since I did know the history surrounding the Jews and Nazi's and German citizens in general. If "history was edited" in this example... they didn't do a good enough job. Better examples of history being edited are things like the lack of education about events like the Tulsa race massacre or the efforts of the Daughters of the Confederacy in re-framing the cause of the Civil War to be about states' rights rather than racism and slavery.

But the question, was she out of line and was the firing justified... I think yes. Regardless of her own political views and position, she works in an industry where public opinion can affect the bottom line. If people tune out and ratings for The Mandalorian drop, or even more problematic if sponsors and revenue drop... it doesn't just affect her. It doesn't even just affect her and the rest of the cast. It affects the bottom line of the richest showrunner all the way down to the grip who carries the Bantha poodoo prop from one set to the next. It's unfortunate that people can and do exercise power and can be a "cry bully." But I consider it more important to think about how my actions affect others, than it is to let total strangers know how I feel.

Reactions: Kae

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
By all means, don’t let us stop you. I might squeeze one off myself today.

OT, how many more cases of celebrities getting in hot water over social media posts do their colleagues need to witness before they realize not to post shit like this? I think social media platforms should have a feature that once you amass a certain number of followers or become “verified,” any post you make should pass through a filter that searches for certain words or hot topic phrases and alerts you before it’s actually seen by anyone. In this case: ”Gina, it appears your post contains the word “Jews;” wanna shut the fuck up, or are you ready to potentially throw your career away?”
I posted a few examples of things one should not post for one's own safety. But, you cannot mention Jews in a post? That is climate of fear your appear to be supporting.
Listening to this now...

I don't agree with her post myself. She's building on what is to me a faulty premise, history being edited. I understand what she means by it and there are good examples out there, but this is a bad example and doesn't hit home for me since I did know the history surrounding the Jews and Nazi's and German citizens in general. If "history was edited" in this example... they didn't do a good enough job. Better examples of history being edited are things like the lack of education about events like the Tulsa race massacre or the efforts of the Daughters of the Confederacy in re-framing the cause of the Civil War to be about states' rights rather than racism and slavery.

But the question, was she out of line and was the firing justified... I think yes. Regardless of her own political views and position, she works in an industry where public opinion can affect the bottom line. If people tune out and ratings for The Mandalorian drop, or even more problematic if sponsors and revenue drop... it doesn't just affect her. It doesn't even just affect her and the rest of the cast. It affects the bottom line of the richest showrunner all the way down to the grip who carries the Bantha poodoo prop from one set to the next. It's unfortunate that people can and do exercise power and can be a "cry bully." But I consider it more important to think about how my actions affect others, than it is to let total strangers know how I feel.
Decent point about re-writing history. The rest? Celebrities have our ear. With great power comes... y'know. I'm not of the "Shut up and Sing" philosophy. I think there is a time and a place but appreciate when someone with a bull horn has the power and opportunity to do so, shouts out about something they think important. And Gina is rightfully concerned with a growing cult that doesn't mind breaking laws, burning down homes and businesses, going on TV to call for ostricizing anyone they find guilty of wrong think and more.

First they came for the Jews and I said nothing sort of thing. I applaud her for saying something.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Seems like she has a bit of a history with putting her foot in her mouth. Add 'jews' to that and... yep. And comparing the holocaust and antisemitism during WW2 to not agreeing with someone's political views (I'll take a wild stab and assume this is in regards to how MAGA/Trump supporters are viewed, though I could easily be wrong) is just super fucking dumb.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I posted a few examples of things one should not post for one's own safety. But, you cannot mention Jews in a post? That is climate of fear your appear to be supporting.
Listening to this now...
Incorrect, I first made a masturbation joke, I then went on to be flippant in saying effectively, as a celebrity, sometimes what you think and want to share on social media is unnecessarily reckless given the modern cancel culture. I didn't say you "cannot mention Jews in a post;" you can talk about whatever you want; just realize you do so at your own risk. As a black person, I'm allowed to jog outside in public; would I jog through a Klan rally? No fucking way. I'm speaking strictly about self-preservation and being aware that if what you want to say can't pass the "Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?" test, why say it all?

Reactions: gorfias

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Incorrect, I first made a masturbation joke, I then went on to be flippant in saying effectively, as a celebrity, sometimes what you think and want to share on social media is unnecessarily reckless given the modern cancel culture. I didn't say you "cannot mention Jews in a post;" you can talk about whatever you want; just realize you do so at your own risk. As a black person, I'm allowed to jog outside in public; would I jog through a Klan rally? No fucking way. I'm speaking strictly about self-preservation and being aware that if what you want to say can't pass the "Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?" test, why say it all?
Yeah, Rosa Parks should have just sat at the back of the bus, she didn't have to stir the pot. Just do and say what is expected of you and conform, for your own sake.

You're essentially advocating that people censor themselves, just keep their heads down and don't dare speak out, for their own good. Surely you can see how that's not ideal?

Reactions: gorfias

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...she works in an industry where public opinion can affect the bottom line.
She works in an industry where seventy years ago, being gay or having opinions like "poor people deserve health care" were enough to get you blackballed for life. People act like "cancel culture" is this new thing, but the reality is it's been around for a long time, and what goes around invariably comes around. And as I said, we live in a climate in which suggesting Palestinians deserve human rights can and will very quickly get you labeled an antisemite, one of the most damning accusations in contemporary political discourse. The likes of Bari Weiss command social influence and status disproportionate to their education, rhetorical skill, expertise, or experience for a reason.

I'd tread very carefully in the sphere of censorship and restriction of political speech, were I you.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, Rosa Parks should have just sat at the back of the bus, she didn't have to stir the pot. Just do and say what is expected of you and conform, for your own sake.

You're essentially advocating that people censor themselves, just keep their heads down and don't dare speak out, for their own good. Surely you can see how that's not ideal?
Correct as usual, Houseman; equating someone risking her life to take a stand for racial equity to a celebrity posting her unsolicited opinion on the social media platform known for the “Bussit Challenge.” Those are basically the same thing. You nailed it.

I'm not asking anyone to "censor" themselves, Cap'n Clever; I'm saying people are capable of asking themselves if what they want to say is worth toeing the line in modern cancel culture. Lending credence to cancel culture, acknowledging that it exists, is not the same as validating it. TikTok is NOT a teaching platform, but if Miss Carano felt TikTok is the best place to inform others of her opinions on a sensitive subjects, then good for her; now she's got plenty of free time to continue to do so.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Correct as usual, Houseman; equating someone risking her life to take a stand for racial equity to a celebrity posting her unsolicited opinion on the social media platform known for the “Bussit Challenge.” Those are basically the same thing. You nailed it.

I'm not asking anyone to "censor" themselves, Cap'n Clever; I'm saying people are capable of asking themselves if what they want to say is worth toeing the line in modern cancel culture. Lending credence to cancel culture, acknowledging that it exists, is not the same as validating it. TikTok is NOT a teaching platform, but if Miss Carano felt TikTok is the best place to inform others of her opinions on a sensitive subjects, then good for her; now she's got plenty of free time to continue to do so.
We have a mainstream legacy corporate media out there pushing anti-conservative lies and propaganda, people in our government like AOC lying and claiming her political enemies were trying to kill her, conservatives like Gina getting fired and more going on and you don't think lives are at stake that Gina spoke up for? Must be nice to live in your bubble.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I don't think that anyone sane expects Houseman to be able to form a coherent and rational political thought at this point. Kinda like how nobody sane expects milk and honey to start pouring out of a sewage.