Gina Carano Fired From “The Mandalorian” Over “Abhorrent” Social Media Posts

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I don't because you simply brought up stupid points, don't understand history, censorship or what words mean.

Because if you know about the purple scare, you'd know the real threat wasn't not getting a job, it was being reported to the House Un-American committee and being arrested and brought up on charges for being a communist. That was censorship, because the Government was imprisoning people for having opinions the government didn't agree with.
The Hollywood black list was a list of people not to hire because companies were afraid of being investigated by the government for communist ties.

Gina Carano said something stupid. No on suppressed her, no one took away her voice or public speaking capabilities. She is not being brought up on charges, Disney isn't facing a House investigation, and no one is in jail. She was fired by a company that is well within their rights to fire her for any reason they deem fit. Get over it. Or next time you're at work walk up to your boss and say "Boy fucking cunts and honkies out there just smell like fish and piss" and see what happens.

God you guys don't need a history lesson so much as to read an employee handbook. You know they have rules for what you're allowed to say and still remain an employee right?
Yeah yeah, "nyarp nyarp it's only censorship if the government does it, four megacorporations that collectively control over 90% of all media consumed by Americans that are only accountable to shareholders and only act upon profit motive ought to have sole fiat to determine the boundaries of acceptable speech in the US, because this is a fantastic idea and could never, ever come back to bite me in my supposedly-left wing ass despite the century-long history of it doing precisely that".

Just never mind the first blacklistings happened in '41, out of...wait for it...The Walt Disney Company. As a response to the animators' strike. Followed by allegations levied by AFP, and Billy's list. HUAC didn't even get involved until '47, and the Waldorf statement didn't happen until '48.

Just never mind all HUAC could procedurally do was convict them of contempt of Congress, and the real threat of it was being publicly outed and/or blacklisted. A thousand dollar fine and a couple months in the slammer is nothing compared to being, you know, unable to work for the rest of your life or being the victim of hate crime.

And last, just never mind regardless of how or why, it was still a voluntary decision by private companies and organizations, which by your definitions "is not" censorship but rather "consequences" and no level of justification or apologia you can levy, will get around that. Y'know, just like the Hays Code which I have yet to even touch.

But otherwise, phenomenal way to demonstrate you don't actually comprehend chilling effect, nor "what goes around, comes around". I mean, since you know oh so much about con law, pray tell what was the periodical in question in Lamont?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So, you don't have an argument? All you can do is chant what you want to be true over and over again in hopes that it will magically alter reality?
Okay, the defense rests as well.
Oh I get it! Yeah no, see what happened was we were talking about Disney firing Gina Carano, and how its not censorship, and you brought up the Government arresting someone and thought it was the same! Silly Houseman, Disney isn't the Government. You should have just led with not understanding the difference between Disney and the United States Government. I assumed you knew the difference, and for that I apologize. I should have remembered who I was dunking on.

Anyway to clear up your silly little confusion, see the Disney Corporation is in fact not the United States Government. Disney firing someone is in fact not the United States Government arresting and jailing someone. Those are in fact two different things.
Disney firing someone over something that person said is a consequence. The United States arresting and jailing someone over something that person said, assuming what was said wasn't a threat, is in fact censorship.

Gina Carano was fired and it wasn't censorship. Get over it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
She's been shitty for a bit now. Anti-trans stuff, anti-mask stuff, general dumbfuckery...
Considering she's been getting yelled at for general dumbfuckery for a while, it's probably safe to assume she was comparing conservatives to Jewish people in that reference. Not the first time I've seen that and it's always stupid

Disney decided a random side character's probably not worth it. And considering damn near every big name calling to cancel Disney Plus has spent the last three weeks trying to get various High Republic writers fired for their politics, it's probably gonna stick.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
From what i've heard, this wasnt her only offence, but the straw that broke the camels back.

What she said/shared was shitty, and it doesnt take a genius to figure that out. Comparing your first-world struggles of "no one agrees with my shitty political opinions, and people call me names on Twitter" to to the literal struggles of jews in Nazi Germany - well, its just not a good look.

I saw a post on Twitter that said "Gina Carano was fired for being a Conservative", and if this is what being a Conservative is, and this is the hill that Conservatives apparently want to die on... do better.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't get why you had to fire her, yes she is a public figure spreading lies about the pandemic, but the more you push people like that outside of the mainstream though the more you create a counter prevailing push against political correctness and liberal elites like Disney.

We cannot just have Hollywood have liberal actors or you risk being less competitive in the world as well.

I detest her opinions, I also suspect it will push away a lot of Hispanics from the liberal political scene, or mainstream society because as soon as they mention abortion, for example, they fear they will get censored.

And yes I like her as an actor so I am biased, but I also like Robert Downey Junior when I was a conservative, I didn't call to boycott him.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
1) Was Gina out of line? I would write no. I am a Jew and was a Republican (un-enrolled now). Her point is very salient and I think those calling it out of bounds are being cry bullies. They aren't offended. They are exercising power. And they are making everyone afraid.
I'm just going to put it out there that the UK Labour Party has just been hounded for years by the right wing press on accusations of antisemitism over stuff much of which was on a similar level.

I think we all understand that if we brought our employer into disrepute or undermined its values in public we would likely face disciplinary action, and most employers make clear what sort of standards they expect. Disney is a media empire that wants to sell cuddly, non-controversial, inclusive media to kids (and adults) worldwide, and the last thing they want are prominent actors in key media franchises screwing with that carefully honed image they're putting a lot of effort - i.e. money - into maintaining. And let's bear in mind this is not the first time Carano has tested Disney's patience.

So although I have some sympathy with Carano for getting fired over a tasteless-to-offensive social media post, it comes with the territory of who she worked for. If she is unaware of the fact that Disney was almost certainly going to look upon her posts unfavourably enough that she might face adverse consequences, she's a fucking idiot.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Disney is a media empire that wants to sell cuddly, non-controversial, inclusive media to kids (and adults) worldwide, and the last thing they want are prominent actors in key media franchises screwing with that carefully honed image...
Ya mean the company that did this?

song-south-disney-plus.jpg

I'm pretty sure that "wholesome public image" boat sailed a long, long time ago...

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't get why you had to fire her, yes she is a public figure spreading lies about the pandemic, but the more you push people like that outside of the mainstream though the more you create a counter prevailing push against political correctness and liberal elites like Disney.
...is this sarcasm?
Like, she spread lies about the pandemic, but there shouldn't be consequences for that?
Really?

View attachment 2960

I'm pretty sure that "wholesome public image" boat sailed a long, long time ago...
So, where can we find Song of the South these days? Streaming? DVD?

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
So, where can we find Song of the South these days? Streaming? DVD?
Pretty much anywhere if you know where and how to find it!
You mean that movie they’ve got locked in the vault never to be released again ever?
Yep, that'd be the one!

Because, y'know, the company would rather memory hole the entire thing rather than confront their continuing legacy as a company founded by a hateful bigot who made his name on the backs of ruthlessly exploiting his labor force, a trend that persisted long after his death and continues to this very day if you know where and how to look.

But hey, I must be the only person on Earth who pays attention to how Disney treats J-1 and Q-1 visa workers.

Or for that matter, what happened to greatly-advertised same-sex kisses in certain foreign markets? How 'bout that whole thing in the Star Wars sequel trilogy when the POC characters were quietly sidelined and given token plots over the course of the three movies after repeated and continued promises of greater POC representation in their flagship franchises? Remember when they made the character voiced by the actress that won an Oscar for Twelve Years a Slave a glorified mammy? Remember that movie that came out recently that was filmed in the province that contains actual concentration camps?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...yes, Disney is shit.

And that means they can't fire somebody who is also shit?

Not getting the logic to be honest

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Let me rephrase your quote to account for 1950's era Hollywood standards.

"Mmm no, still isn't censorship, because he still was allowed to suck that dick. No one stopped him from sucking it. He faced a consequence. A consequence isn't the same as censorship. Censorship is a suppression of someone's voice/opinion in this context. That didn't happen. He sucked that dick, it was gay as fuck, and no one censored him."

Or perhaps...

"Mmm no, still isn't censorship, because he was still allowed to say it. No one stopped him from saying it. He faced a consequence. A consequences isn't the same as censorship. Censorship is a suppression of someone's voice/opinion in this context. That didn't happen. He was a Commie, that's un-American, and no one censored him."

Or even...

"Mmm no, still isn't censorship, because he was still allowed to say it. No one stopped him from saying it. He faced a consequence. A consequences isn't the same as censorship. Censorship is a suppression of someone's voice/opinion in this context. That didn't happen. He was a Jew, Jews are Communist, and no one censored him."

Do you get it yet? Or do you need a bigger, heavier, cluebat upside the head to figure this out?
A lot of this sounds like discrimination, not censorship. The 1950s weren’t about taking people down for what they said. They were taken down because of who they were.

Most of your example aren’t what happened at all. They words weren’t used against them, their lifestyle was.

And, just for the record, I think discrimination is worse than censorship, except maybe 1st amendment censorship

View attachment 2960

I wonder if you realise what they are doing is trying to future proof themselves against making the same mistakes. In a 100years time, no one will care what we said. They will care about what Disney said, as they will probably still exist.

Also, weren’t you against Cancelling? Because digging up old shit that a person or company did 80 years ago me has deliberately tried to ‘atone’ for sounds exactly like cancelling.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Just going to point out that Gina called a bunch of people Nazis for disliking her tweets. And by bunch, I mean well over half of America.

Still don’t think this deserved a firing. But calling everyone Nazis doesn’t endear me to her at all

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
A lot of this sounds like discrimination, not censorship. The 1950s weren’t about taking people down for what they said. They were taken down because of who they were.

Most of your example aren’t what happened at all. They words weren’t used against them, their lifestyle was.
Hence my accompanying point later about chilling effect. You're right to point out that in the case of LGBTQ's and Jewish people in the Red Scare (do not forget, ever, antisemitism was a large driver in it) they were targeted because of who they were...but their words and political views were the weapon. And certainly not by the government alone, and not just by the likes of Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan who instrumentalized the Red Scare to achieve personal agendas, the former to union bust and the latter to further his acting career and political ambitions.

Do you seriously think that can't or wouldn't happen again?

I wonder if you realise what they are doing is trying to future proof themselves against making the same mistakes.
Then why do they keep making the same mistakes?

They're not trying to "future proof" or "atone" for anything. They're trying to whitewash themselves.

Also, weren’t you against Cancelling? Because digging up old shit that a person or company did 80 years ago me has deliberately tried to ‘atone’ for sounds exactly like cancelling.
I am. My point is threefold:

A) Corporations are not people.
B) What goes around comes around.
C) Be very, very careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

And just to drive this point home, once again,

We currently exist in a climate in which allegations of antisemitism flow like water against anyone and everyone even mildly critical of Israeli policy. I'd bet cold, hard cash anyone who's spoken in defense of Palestinian rights and against Israeli treatment of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank, has either been personally or collectively called antisemitic at some point in the past six to twelve months. I know I have, and I'd bet anyone celebrating Carano's firing from Mandalorian right now has too.

That is not an allegation to be levied lightly, nor treated casually. It's weaponized as extensively as it is by neoconservatives because it works. Bari Weiss, who I mentioned earlier, built a career on it which she vaingloriously self-destructed in the most hypocritical tantrum to hit the pages of NYT in decades, upon receiving the faintest pushback against her colleagues who were sick of her shit. And she's far from the only, nor the most influential, one.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hence my accompanying point later about chilling effect. You're right to point out that in the case of LGBTQ's and Jewish people in the Red Scare (do not forget, ever, antisemitism was a large driver in it) they were targeted because of who they were...but their words and political views were the weapon. And certainly not by the government alone, and not just by the likes of Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan who instrumentalized the Red Scare to achieve personal agendas, the former to union bust and the latter to further his acting career and political ambitions.

Do you seriously think that can't or wouldn't happen again?

Then why do they keep making the same mistakes?

They're not trying to "future proof" or "atone" for anything. They're trying to whitewash themselves.

I am. My point is threefold:

A) Corporations are not people.
C) Be very, very careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

And just to drive this point home, once again,

We currently exist in a climate in which allegations of antisemitism flow like water against anyone and everyone even mildly critical of Israeli policy. I'd bet cold, hard cash anyone who's spoken in defense of Palestinian rights and against Israeli treatment of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank, has either been personally or collectively called antisemitic at some point in the past six to twelve months. I know I have, and I'd bet anyone celebrating Carano's firing from Mandalorian right now has too.

That is not an allegation to be levied lightly, nor treated casually. It's weaponized as extensively as it is by neoconservatives because it works. Bari Weiss, who I mentioned earlier, built a career on it which she vaingloriously self-destructed in the most hypocritical tantrum to hit the pages of NYT in decades, upon receiving the faintest pushback against her colleagues who were sick of her shit. And she's far from the only, nor the most influential, one.
I’m not celebrating Carano’s sacking - Cara Dune was basically my favourite character - but I’m not surprised they sacked her if she’s been repeatedly been acting in ways that contravene her contract and the broader social media policy of her employer.

She’s not going to prison or getting chemically castrated which was the fate of communists and homosexuals in the dark times of yore. Hell, now Disney has given her the arse she can go right ahead and spill her guts to any tabloid rag willing to listen about working on Mando and whatever other outrages they think will sell papers or generate retweets.

If there’s a case to answer here it will be for wrongful or prejudicial dismissal.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
We might just have to deal with this seperately
Did you use this intentionally? That's the only way I can explain this

Just to be clear, what happened to Gina WAS the come around

Perhaps take your pearl of wisdom to Gina and show he, with her tweets, to explain to her WHY she was fired

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Because now your equating kids in cages with someone losing their job.
Whoosh.
That's the point sailing over your head.

Look at who made that first post. What Disney show is he currently starring in?
What comparison did he make with that tweet?

What comparison did Gina make with that tweet?

Now read the second tweet.

Get it now?

This was what Gorifas was referring to when he said:
Pedro himself posted a picture of Jews in Nazi concentration camps and compared it to illegal alien children in US detention centers, a less apt comparison than Gina made. He isn't fired.
And nobody ever acknowledged that point or had anything to say about it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble