Hogwarts Legacy Will Allow For Transgender Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I have no problem with a black superman, because I know its not Clark Kent, its Calvin Ellis. Now we can debate the merits of that character literally being Barak Obama fanfiction, but there's nothing wrong with doing another character. The only time I would take issue is if they didn't do Calvin Ellis, and just changed Clark Kent to being a Illinois born first black president Kryptonian because there's no reason to change an existing character when other fully functional characters already exist, or you're capable of just making a new character.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Ignore them. I don't give a fuck about asshole who push blame on something, just like those who want to see no representation of color/gender or want to see them fail.

While true, it does not make it right nor absolve the entire issue. I would be more than happy for those countries to get the games that came from USA or from somewhere from Europe. Plenty do nowadays compared to the 90s and early 2000s. A definite improvement.

Both of you, take a look at this.

Oh cool they're making another Steel movie?

He's Black Superman
DEC160243.jpg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have no problem with a black superman, because I know its not Clark Kent, its Calvin Ellis. Now we can debate the merits of that character literally being Barak Obama fanfiction, but there's nothing wrong with doing another character. The only time I would take issue is if they didn't do Calvin Ellis, and just changed Clark Kent to being a Illinois born first black president Kryptonian because there's no reason to change an existing character when other fully functional characters already exist, or you're capable of just making a new character.
Agreed.

Though I mostly prefer other superheroes of different color or gender getting their own adaption and not just token versions of the character. To me, that is the best option.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA

Did you say the guy's name is Calvin Ellis? Which would be abbreviated as Cal El? *googles* ...Yep...and his birth name is Kalel (as opposed to Kal-El)...son of Jorel (Jor-El). You know, I didn't really care before, but now I'm kinda feeling insulted. Either keep the damn name or commit to changing it, don't just give it a minor tweak and then hammer it home by giving him basically the same name for his alter ego! That reads so much like baby's first fanfic character. "Uh, yes, the star of my Final Fantasy VII character is a SOLDIER by the name of Claude..." Ugh...just why? It hurts the writer in me so much >_<

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Did you say the guy's name is Calvin Ellis? Which would be abbreviated as Cal El? *googles* ...Yep...and his birth name is Kalel (as opposed to Kal-El)...son of Jorel (Jor-El). You know, I didn't really care before, but now I'm kinda feeling insulted. Either keep the damn name or commit to changing it, don't just give it a minor tweak and then hammer it home by giving him basically the same name for his alter ego! That reads so much like baby's first fanfic character. "Uh, yes, the star of my Final Fantasy VII character is a SOLDIER by the name of Claude..." Ugh...just why? It hurts the writer in me so much >_<
To be fair I remember when this character was first introduced, and it was always meant to be a joke character. Like literally the idea of the character came from Obama joking during the whole Birther movement that he's from Krypton and he's secretly Superman...and then DC just went with it, and made an Obama fanfic where he's Superman. According to the Wikis he got rebooted in the New 52 in order to get away from his literal joke beginnings, but he was originally on par with like Howard the Duck or those times where the Sun turns a different shade of yellow and Superman is fat now.

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Standard issue slapped together corporate damage control. A mildly more permissive character creator does not equate to representation.

Game companies don't want to lose their LGBT+ and LGBT+ affirming audience, but neither do they want to spend the time and money to rethink development in a way that allows LGBT+ people to exist in a meaningful way in the work, particularly when so many bigots will cry foul if even the most token effort is made. Same goes for a lot of other minority groups that want to be represented in the art they consume.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Standard issue slapped together corporate damage control. A mildly more permissive character creator does not equate to representation.

Game companies don't want to lose their LGBT+ and LGBT+ affirming audience, but neither do they want to spend the time and money to rethink development in a way that allows LGBT+ people to exist in a meaningful way in the work, particularly when so many bigots will cry foul if even the most token effort is made. Same goes for a lot of other minority groups that want to be represented in the art they consume.
Well when was the last time anyone talked about Tell me Why?
That released last August.
If people want to argue representation is so important and there's a massive audience they kind of need to show up when said representation is present in a even if not AAA at least AA level budget game.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
While we are discussing the gay Dumbledore and black Hermione things, Rowling has stated that Dumbledore being gay was a big part of his relationship with Grindelwald. Then they announce there is going to be 5 movies about the relationship between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and the gay thing won't ever be mentioned. Due to what 09philj talks about above.

Also, while Hermione was never explicitly described as white, she was presumably intended to be, as there's references to her pale skin a couple of times. But, don't care about that one at all, myself.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
While we are discussing the gay Dumbledore and black Hermione things, Rowling has stated that Dumbledore being gay was a big part of his relationship with Grindelwald. Then they announce there is going to be 5 movies about the relationship between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and the gay thing won't ever be mentioned. Due to what 09philj talks about above.
China.

I mean it's Warner Brothers a massive studio that made some moves to try and break into China before so yeh of course we won't get anything obvious or overt.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So...which bathrooms are the trans wizards going to use?

No, that's not a random silly question, bathrooms are surprisingly important in like half of the Harry Potter books.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ignore them. I don't give a fuck about asshole who push blame on something, just like those who want to see no representation of color/gender or want to see them fail.

While true, it does not make it right nor absolve the entire issue. I would be more than happy for those countries to get the games that came from USA or from somewhere from Europe. Plenty do nowadays compared to the 90s and early 2000s. A definite improvement.

Both of you, take a look at this.

So a couple of things.

1. If don't give a shit about them making a Black version of a traditionally white character, Mile Morales is fucking sweet. I think making Minority versions of things is fine if it is done with more thought than "White thing is white, let's make it black for racial reasons." Because then you are doing it under racist pre-text. You aren't doing it for the passion and respect of the character in order to adapt that character with a new culture, you are being a racist shill. For example the Black Lesbian Batwoman on CW.

2. I hate that people like to imply things like, "Oh we need a black superman because they don't make black super heroes. Thus our only choice is to make white heroes black." Because they imply that genuine characters of other cultures don't exist. Black Panther, Spawn, Shaft, Black Adam. To me it feels disrespectful, as if they are saying "We don't want those heroes, we want YOUR heroes."

Which is the same thing that sort of applies to any group clamouring to make existing fictional characters fit their progressive dreams. Again I think the vocal outcry we see from LBGTQ and other progressive groups are a very vocal minority, whereas the majority of, lets use trans people as an example, are perfectly happy with the representation that occurs or simply don't care that much because they are living their life and it's not important. And I have to wonder how many of these vocal people actually give a shit, or whether they are simply chasing tumblr and media attention.

"Hey i can garner a bit of fame if I pretend to be outraged by a thing, so I'll be outraged by a thing and go on CNN or BBC or FOX in order to get on TV." Maybe not, maybe it is a mixture of all that. Who can tell?

EDIT: Oh and Luke Cage. I love Luke, dude rocks!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

No, that's not a random silly question, bathrooms are surprisingly important in like half of the Harry Potter books.
They cast Fecal Liberata and magically teleport their shit outside.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I mean we're talking about a magic culture that's okay with slavery, and children are taught to make date rape drugs in school and by implication Wizards were okay with the Holocaust so there's a lot of issues with world building. Not to mention the idea of blood/racial purity, and this literal magical world purposefully withholding life saving magic from the majority of the world because they deemed muggles too stupid and scared to be worth saving.

Truly in any other franchise the Wizards would be like the big bad, the Combine or the Dark Forces type shit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
1. If don't give a shit about them making a Black version of a traditionally white character, Mile Morales is fucking sweet. I think making Minority versions of things is fine if it is done with more thought than "White thing is white, let's make it black for racial reasons." Because then you are doing it under racist pre-text. You aren't doing it for the passion and respect of the character in order to adapt that character with a new culture, you are being a racist shill. For example the Black Lesbian Batwoman on CW.
Firstly, Batwoman is supposed to be lesbian, that's how she is in the comics, she became Batwoman after being kicked out of the US military for being a lesbian.

Secondly, surely the black batwoman is a new character after Ruby Rose either left (possibly due to nearly dying filming the first) or was got rid of (possibly due to being an awful person). Not watched it myself (gave up on the show about halfway through the first season, because it wasn't great), but not seeing a problem with a Jewish woman quitting her job and being replaced by a black woman.

2. I hate that people like to imply things like, "Oh we need a black superman because they don't make black super heroes. Thus our only choice is to make white heroes black." Because they imply that genuine characters of other cultures don't exist. Black Panther, Spawn, Shaft, Black Adam. To me it feels disrespectful, as if they are saying "We don't want those heroes, we want YOUR heroes."
With the exception of Black Panther (for some reason), does anyone care about those ones, though? There's been, what 10+ Batman movies, and one of Spawn, who most people may not even have heard of.

Now, if studios really committed to the idea of not just bringing out endless reboots of Batman, Spiderman, and to an extent Superman, I'd imagine that'd be less of an issue. With the MCU, that seems to be happening (not a fan of those myself, though). And also with the DCEU (nobody seems willing to admit to being a fant of those, though).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I feel like using race as a marketing feature and slapping it on an established more marketable character shows a mistaken dismissiveness toward minority characters. Like publishers just can't imagine that a minority character can be beloved (and therefore profitable) without tying them to an established marketable character.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I feel like using race as a marketing feature and slapping it on an established more marketable character shows a mistaken dismissiveness toward minority characters. Like publishers just can't imagine that a minority character can be beloved (and therefore profitable) without tying them to an established marketable character.
Ah, but are they wrong, though?

Half of every film made nowdays seems to be either an adaptation of a book series, or a reboot/sequel/prequel of a franchise from 20 years ago. Nobody wants to take a risk with something new and ending up with Jupiter Ascending.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ah, but are they wrong, though?

Half of every film made nowdays seems to be either an adaptation of a book series, or a reboot/sequel/prequel of a franchise from 20 years ago. Nobody wants to take a risk with something new and ending up with Jupiter Ascending.
Jupiter Ascending didn't do well because it was bad, not because it was new and unique.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The whole "but we used to be able to identify with characters regardless of race and gender/etc" argument just reminded me of this:

Firstly, Batwoman is supposed to be lesbian, that's how she is in the comics, she became Batwoman after being kicked out of the US military for being a lesbian.

Secondly, surely the black batwoman is a new character after Ruby Rose either left (possibly due to nearly dying filming the first) or was got rid of (possibly due to being an awful person). Not watched it myself (gave up on the show about halfway through the first season, because it wasn't great), but not seeing a problem with a Jewish woman quitting her job and being replaced by a black woman.
Yeah, I don't know if the new black Batwoman is a lesbian, but she's definitely a new character, with the first lesbian Batwoman still being canon to the show.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The whole "but we used to be able to identify with characters regardless of race and gender/etc" argument just reminded me of this:
The problem that that is that the game USED to have a character creator, and then the devs took that away and gave everyone completely randomized characters instead.

Yeah, if I bought a game with a specific feature, and liked that feature and then that feature was removed I'd be pissed, and it would have nothing to do with race or gender and everything to do with not getting what I paid for.

Edit: It has been pointed out to me that the game didn't previously have a character creator, everyone just had the generic character. I withdraw my uninformed comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble
Status
Not open for further replies.