What are you currently playing?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I did forget to mention that the resolution of their relationship conflict was suuuuuper unsatisfying. Very reminiscent of how Drake and Elena got back together in Uncharted 4.

Yeah, she really does not look good in their relationship. Feels like she's gaslighting Peter. "God, stop saving my life, I'm a strong independent woman".
By 'resolution to their relationship conflict', do you mean the scene right after the burning building where Peter saves Aunt May and Miles with help from MJ? Because in a way I do like how MJ confesses her frustration and apologizes to Peter for taking it out on him. BUT the problem is that the game itself feels like it framed MJ to be in the right in those earlier parts. All those moments feel like the usual, tired 'woman who shakes her head at her man's folly'. It's this writing trope where we apparently need to have our hero couple be annoyed with eachother before they get together. And in this particular case it makes MJ come across as a total fucking brat.

And yeah, Drake and Elena sort ran into a similar problem, but there the fault squarely rested on Drake's character and the game taking it way too easy on him. Where I'm like 'Really game, you're just letting him get away with all that, and have Elena forgive him?!' In the end I do kinda like it in Uncharted 4... buuuuut I do need to squint my eyes just a tad.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
By 'resolution to their relationship conflict', do you mean the scene right after the burning building where Peter saves Aunt May and Miles with help from MJ? Because in a way I do like how MJ confesses her frustration and apologizes to Peter for taking it out on him. BUT the problem is that the game itself feels like it framed MJ to be in the right in those earlier parts. All those moments feel like the usual, tired 'woman who shakes her head at her man's folly'. It's this writing trope where we apparently need to have our hero couple be annoyed with eachother before they get together. And in this particular case it makes MJ come across as a total fucking brat.

And yeah, Drake and Elena sort ran into a similar problem, but there the fault squarely rested on Drake's character and the game taking it way too easy on him. Where I'm like 'Really game, you're just letting him get away with all that, and have Elena forgive him?!' In the end I do kinda like it in Uncharted 4... buuuuut I do need to squint my eyes just a tad.
Yeah the relationships in the Spidey game were....weird. Like in the Black Cat DLC, it's played like it's some funny, comical bit of a con job, how she treats Peter. But, what she does is just absolutely horrible. But the game frames it like "Oooh, that's the Black Cat for you!" *comical freeze frame of people shrugging, cue studio audience laughter track, play wacky music* like it's a sitcom. But...it's SO not cool.

And yes, Peter totally should've hooked up with Yuri, which makes sense that they have good chemistry, as I heard the 2 voice actors are actually married IRL, so the idea that they have good chemistry makes total sense. Though it does make for some weirdness, since the Peter voice actors real name is Yuri. :D

But yeah, the romance stuff in Spidey was probably the clunkiest bits for me, and Miles Morales also suffers from it a bit in my opinion. One particular relationship especially suffers from it, but another, the more real seeming romance option to me, felt nice and normal. The "slice of normalcy" that most hero relationships are meant to represent. The draw to hang up the cape kind of thing.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Tomb Raider: Legend.

I got this on sale god knows when and finally got around to playing it. I'm about halfway through the game so far and it's fine. The puzzles are about what I'd expect from a tomb raider game, Lara is snarky but not unlikable, but also not the weirdly butt monkey person of mass destruction from the SE trilogy. Combat is mostly jumping around and shooting dudes with auto-lockon so whatever. The plot involves magical do-dads wihich might be is very likely Excalibur due to all the HINT HINT King Arthur References HINT HINT and being this ain't my first tomb raider game I know anything that looks to be supernatural likely is.

I'm not overly found of the bike sections to be honest. The first one was a bit annoying but I'm having some real issues with the one is Kazakhstan, as in I haven't been able to beat the 2nd long stretch despite numerous tries. Hopefully I can pass it so i can finish the rest of the game.

I've only played the first TR game, a little bit of the 2nd and then the 2013 one but this all more or less tracks what I remember from before and apparently the plot is basically a reboot anyway so it probably doesn't matter much if I didn't play many of the earlier games.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah the inFamous series of games are REALLY good. All of them are of good quality, to top tier, in my opinion. inFamous 1/2 are some of my favorite games of all time, hands down. The later installments, while not as engaging, were still as fun for me. I never recall having a bad time playing them. I REALLY hope Sucker Punch revitalizes the franchise sometime soon, as I would love more superhero games by them.

Damn I really need to buy those games at some point. I played them on a friend's account back in the day, well, the subsequent titles. *makes note to check PS store when he gets home*

You know about this site too, right? Not sure what availability is like for pre-PS4 stuff now though.

Reactions: happyninja42

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think I found my groove with Nioh. First of all, magic breaks the game: you can slow enemies down, make them squishier, weaken their attacks, buff yours, etc. And it's amazing these spells work on everything, including bosses. I beat three in a row in one try: Joro-gumo, Yuki-onna, White Tiger. And Yuki-onna is supposed to be tough.

I also think the game is more generous than the Souls games when it comes to tracking progress. Mid-bosses that don't respawn along with everything else, par for the course, but there're way more mid-bosses in this than in the Souls games. A good % of enemies come out of black fog and are gone for good after one fight. Not just that but there're several special kind of enemies that also don't respawn, like sentries or the necromancer characters. And you can also de-spawn enemies by destroying certain crystals (that otherwise regen their health). Levels aren't too long and they're pretty generous with checkpoints and shortcuts too. No major gauntlets so far.

Duels are some of the tougher missions but so far I've managed all of them just by coming back with a higher level.

So overall a considerably easier take on the Souls games, once you're over how unintuitive the whole menu/inventory/specs nonsense is.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
After playing through a bunch of Resident Evil games earlier this year, I decided to give one that I bought ages ago and barely played another shot: the remaster of the remake of the first game, on Steam. Now that I'm actually able to figure out where to go, it's been fairly interesting. Right now I'm just about to fight the giant snake, based on its location relative to the original. Though I know that doesn't count for a lot, with all the changes that have already happened...

Playing as Jill, because being able to survive one more zombie grapple before having to use a First Aid Spray isn't worth as much as two extra inventory slots. Also Barry >>>>> Rebecca.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I get that, but just as with Oblivion the system also acts as a punishment for people just leveling "wrong". I know a few people who had to take a break from Skyrim because they went off having fun with Alchemy and Blacksmithing, trying different weapons and spells etc. and suddenly they were faced with combat situations they really couldn't win even against normal bandits. So just as with Oblivion you could end up in the unenviable position of having a save in which you stonewalled against far superior enemies because you didn't laser focus your build from level 1 (though to be fair, Skyrim is a lot better at allowing freedom then Oblivion was).

Stopping the cheesers is all well and good, but this approach does so at the expense of the casual players who will change weapon based on which is cooler, not whether it is an upgrade for your 1-Handed build or not.
To me it was way more organic than that. Less upgrading my 1-handed build, and more "I trained and used a 1 handed axe all my life." As in: an experienced fighter who trained and fought with a 1 handed axe his whole life wouldn't suddenly switch to a 2 handed hammer just because it had a better enchantment or "it looked cooler." The difference between Skyrim and Morrowind/Oblivion (2 great games in their own right) was that you didn't create a character at all. Correctly done it was more like evolving a character rather than just putting numbers on a character sheet. To me it blended in a lot better with the framework of story it has.

And yeah it can punish you for sidestepping to test out secondary skills like that. But that's what reverting to earlier saves and/or making a new character is for. I'm not against the "I want the best character and all the skills" mentality. A game like that can be fun. But Skyrim (and really any ES or Fallout title) just isn't fun for me that way, and I contend that is very much by design. To me defeating Skyrim with an "incomplete" or "limited" character actually provides greater challenge than doing it with a level 81 character that has 100 in every skill. Plus I can't even imagine how boring that playthrough would have been grinding out every skill rather than just leveling up by questing. I know it really isn't cool to tell someone else they are playing a game wrong. Its a single-player game, play it how you like... I get it. But I will point out Skyrim is a game someone CAN play wrong, it was designed that way. And playing it "right" just provides a better experience.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
To me it was way more organic than that. Less upgrading my 1-handed build, and more "I trained and used a 1 handed axe all my life." As in: an experienced fighter who trained and fought with a 1 handed axe his whole life wouldn't suddenly switch to a 2 handed hammer just because it had a better enchantment or "it looked cooler." The difference between Skyrim and Morrowind/Oblivion (2 great games in their own right) was that you didn't create a character at all. Correctly done it was more like evolving a character rather than just putting numbers on a character sheet. To me it blended in a lot better with the framework of story it has.

And yeah it can punish you for sidestepping to test out secondary skills like that. But that's what reverting to earlier saves and/or making a new character is for. I'm not against the "I want the best character and all the skills" mentality. A game like that can be fun. But Skyrim (and really any ES or Fallout title) just isn't fun for me that way, and I contend that is very much by design. To me defeating Skyrim with an "incomplete" or "limited" character actually provides greater challenge than doing it with a level 81 character that has 100 in every skill. Plus I can't even imagine how boring that playthrough would have been grinding out every skill rather than just leveling up by questing. I know it really isn't cool to tell someone else they are playing a game wrong. Its a single-player game, play it how you like... I get it. But I will point out Skyrim is a game someone CAN play wrong, it was designed that way. And playing it "right" just provides a better experience.
Yeah Skyrim is actually one of the few time's I've replayed a game multiple MULTIPLE times, just to try out various character concepts. I even registered at a skyrim fan site, where people would post character concepts and build designs, and even suggested roleplay elements to help enrich the experience. I made 2 pacifist characters, one just a straight homage/ripoff of Garrett from Thief, the other was a priest of Arkay. And the thing I liked about the priest, was it was entirely in theme for the game, for them to be that way. They even had a thing in their lore, about having a martial branch of the church, protect the priests, who went around trying to heal people. So I hired a fighter companion, and just said canonically they were my Sword Arm from the church. I never attacked anyone directly, and only used Restoration/Alteration, and Shouts. And it was pretty amazing how effective that was. One of my most memorable moments, was being ambushed by a dragon while going up to a small mining village on a hillside, AND being attacked by a vampire hit squad from the vampire DLC. All the villagers started to panic, but I tossed down an AOE stamina buff spell, which also prevented them from running in terror. So they hung around, encouraged by my divine grace, and proceeded to literally kill the dragon via a death of a thousand cuts, as they pelted him with so many stones that he died. All the while, I'm crowd controlling the vampires using Fus Ro Dah, to ragdoll them down the hill, until the dragon was done. I'd juggle refreshing the stamina/anti-fear spell, as well as healing spells to keep the villagers alive, and basically had a frantic 10 minute combat session, where the entire village rose up to fight for themselves. The death throw of that dragon, as it raised it's head to the sky, and let out a final plume of flame, as the villagers rained stony death onto it, and them cheering in victory, only to all turn and beat the living shit out of the vampires afterwards, is one of my favorite gaming moments in my entire life. It was just so organic and FUN.

I also enjoyed playing a Son of Skyrim concept. Basically made Thor. Big blonde Nord, two handed hammer was his weapon, lightning magic, and restoration magic. He never disturbed the graves of the dead, so I never looted corpses and urns in the crypts, and he always fought openly. I had him go into a dungeon, shout out FUS to agro any enemies nearby, and then just pound all of them until they were paste. He'd then progress further into the dungeon, and FUS again to draw the attention of the monsters. I would finish dungeons in like 10 minutes, whereas my sneaky rogue type PCs would take an hour to fully clear it.

He would always, upon killing a dragon, Shout his victory to the sky. I would actually tilt the camera up to point at the clouds, and let out a full FUS RO DAH!! as the soul poured into me.

The variety in ways you could play that game, and not min/max it, and still have fun and accomplish the goals, was fantastic.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah Skyrim is actually one of the few time's I've replayed a game multiple MULTIPLE times, just to try out various character concepts. I even registered at a skyrim fan site, where people would post character concepts and build designs, and even suggested roleplay elements to help enrich the experience. I made 2 pacifist characters, one just a straight homage/ripoff of Garrett from Thief, the other was a priest of Arkay. And the thing I liked about the priest, was it was entirely in theme for the game, for them to be that way. They even had a thing in their lore, about having a martial branch of the church, protect the priests, who went around trying to heal people. So I hired a fighter companion, and just said canonically they were my Sword Arm from the church. I never attacked anyone directly, and only used Restoration/Alteration, and Shouts. And it was pretty amazing how effective that was. One of my most memorable moments, was being ambushed by a dragon while going up to a small mining village on a hillside, AND being attacked by a vampire hit squad from the vampire DLC. All the villagers started to panic, but I tossed down an AOE stamina buff spell, which also prevented them from running in terror. So they hung around, encouraged by my divine grace, and proceeded to literally kill the dragon via a death of a thousand cuts, as they pelted him with so many stones that he died. All the while, I'm crowd controlling the vampires using Fus Ro Dah, to ragdoll them down the hill, until the dragon was done. I'd juggle refreshing the stamina/anti-fear spell, as well as healing spells to keep the villagers alive, and basically had a frantic 10 minute combat session, where the entire village rose up to fight for themselves. The death throw of that dragon, as it raised it's head to the sky, and let out a final plume of flame, as the villagers rained stony death onto it, and them cheering in victory, only to all turn and beat the living shit out of the vampires afterwards, is one of my favorite gaming moments in my entire life. It was just so organic and FUN.

I also enjoyed playing a Son of Skyrim concept. Basically made Thor. Big blonde Nord, two handed hammer was his weapon, lightning magic, and restoration magic. He never disturbed the graves of the dead, so I never looted corpses and urns in the crypts, and he always fought openly. I had him go into a dungeon, shout out FUS to agro any enemies nearby, and then just pound all of them until they were paste. He'd then progress further into the dungeon, and FUS again to draw the attention of the monsters. I would finish dungeons in like 10 minutes, whereas my sneaky rogue type PCs would take an hour to fully clear it.

He would always, upon killing a dragon, Shout his victory to the sky. I would actually tilt the camera up to point at the clouds, and let out a full FUS RO DAH!! as the soul poured into me.

The variety in ways you could play that game, and not min/max it, and still have fun and accomplish the goals, was fantastic.
Yeah, tons of variety. I had a master grifter character wind up a broken "false dragonborn" who turned into a serial killer targeting mer because an agent of the aldemeri dominion murdered his intended bride. That character had similar skills and "build" but a completely different story and path through the game than my master assassin character. And after those 2 I had to really adjust my play style for my next, a paladin type to take on the vampires in the Dawnguard content.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
OT: Still playing Nioh 2, and it's fine. I find I enjoy the sidekick/ally character they give you right away. Tochikiro I think is the spelling of his name. At first he's just presented as a stereotypical money-grubbing opportunist, who hooks up with you, because he needs protection from yokai while he tries to obtain spirit stones, which are highly valuable to people. But when you actually progress more with the story, it's apparently more than that. Your first encounter with him, he helps you by holding a stone to your face, to stop you from freaking out and going into a dark rage, due to your yokai nature. It's not explained WHY you are suddenly acting like that, being corrupted, but he shows up and stops the frenzy moment. His spirit ally is a monkey, and he basically just points you around the world, looking for ways to make money. No big deal, whatever. BUUUT, then you come to a mission in a forest, and an enemy there, is a spirit animal, that has also been corrupted. You fight him, but instead of killing it, Tochikiro shows up, shoves you out of the way, and does the same thing to the creature as he did to you at the start of the game. Purifying the spirit of it's corruption, and returning it to being a regular, but very powerful, spirit. The other character walks up and is like "the fuk is this?" and Tochikiro proudly smiles, and gestures, saying "Victory! The Tochikiro way!! With nobody having to die!" And then it's basically just a neat moment of the two groups, agreeing to help each other to accomplish the goal, which, just so happens, to be lucrative for Tochikiro! And I just loved that. What was first presented as just someone being opportunistic, turned out to genuinely be someone who doesn't want to fight, and would be more than happy for everyone to get along, and if he CAN accomplish it that way, he will. This is reinforced by his spirit animal, who's unique trait it passes on to you if you have him set as your Guardian Spirit, is to apply the Purity effect to your enemies. So even the mechanics of his ally, backup the story element of his background, being one of purification of enemies, and not killing them. The majority of the various traits he provides you, aren't even combat based. They give you a strong chance to recover all your souls upon respawn at a shrine, they let you spot locations to find souls (which is also the currency in the game to an extent, valuable resource at least) on your map (because you know, he's after wealth). So I like that. It's a nice blending of mechanics and narrative for that character, and it genuinely made me like him a lot more. I stopped seeing him as just a greedy opportunist.

I still don't know what I'm fucking doing on the meta level with the narrative, as it's very disjointed. Spirits are going bad, or maybe always were bad, but only some of them, and some humans are being bad and violent, so lots of conflict, both spiritual and mundane. And I'm the one to go fight it all. They name drop a person or two that seem to be commonly used in these historical mythologies, but the context is very minimal, so if you don't know the stories about them, it's mostly just a semi-familiar name.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Just played a really cutesy game called Later Alligator, which is a short, point-and-click adventure game, where you are an Alligator, living in Alligator New York City, and you are hired by a child called Pat (who is also an Alligator) to investigate an "event" that night, which his family has planned for him, where he suspects that they will have him killed.

What ensues is a game where you travel around Alligator New York City, speaking to the various denizens, and his very large family, helping them out with various minigame related tasks, upon which they will reveal the true nature of the "event".

The star of the show here is obviously the animation, writing, and music. The setting is certainly unique, too. The gameplay isn't exactly anything to write home about, though. The point-and-click stuff is... well... normal point-and-click stuff, and the minigames are just small 2-3 minute affairs, with anything from Flappy Bird to Spot the Difference. They are inoffensive, and only one is repeated twice (about of about, 30?) so they never get repetitive, but none are exciting, so there is that.

The only real negative is the game's time mechanic. You start the game in the morning, and the "event" starts at 8pm, with with occasional mandatory minigame every few hours. Each minigame, retry, and journey around the city takes 15 minutes, so you do need to manage your time, and try not to waste any of it with needless journeys, or failed minigames. Once the clock turns 8, you have to attend the "event". If you don't complete all of Pat's family's minigames in time, you get only half of the ending, and then you are booted back to the menu, and you can try again from the morning, in a sort of New Game+. You can then use this additional time to visit the rest of the family, do their minigames, and then try to get the full ending. I just wish the time mechanic didn't exist, because going back to the beginning means that you need to redo the mandatory mini-games again, and once you get all of the family members, you then have to find a way to waste hours of in-game time, to get back to 8pm.

Its a cute game, and it is only £10/2-4h long, so it isn't exactly a massive investment in either time or money. I'd say it is worth it, if only to meet these weird and wonderful characters, and enjoy the great animation.

Or you could just watch it on YouTube, I guess.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Got back into Sekiro on a whim, and made some good progress surprisingly. Speaking of, it’s a cool surprise that it now has messages and a new remnant recording feature. Took down the Long-arm Centipede, cleared out the Folding Screen Monkeys, got the Mortal Blade and finally figured out how to fly a kite. I knew I had to be missing something, and I really like the new puppet skill. Now I suppose it’s off to the Sunken Valley for real, since idk where else I’d go next. Guessing the Umbrella shield will help here as I always got wrecked on previous attempts without something to protect against those guns. The only problem seems to be how to get down off this lone wooden beam jutting out high above the place. Must be missing another clue of some sort.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Destroy All Humans 2. I got about halfway through this game back in 2008, I've always meant to go back and finish it. It's not nearly as good as the first game, I see why I quit. The first game was just you and Pox, two aliens bent on the subjugation of all humanity. It was a unique idea and a lot of fun. I remember enjoying the humour quite a bit too. At the end of the game you've destroyed all your enemies in America and have become the president of the United States. At the start of the second game, the Soviets somehow blow up your mothership with a missile and you spend most of the game hitting on human women and doing whatever your current quest giver tells you to. It's lame. Why is Crypto working with humans? Why are humans working with Crypto?! It doesn't make any sense and it most definitely is not true to the spirit of the first game, or the title of the game. I just don't feel very clear on my goals here, and I'm over half way through the game. How is anything I'm doing getting me closer to world domination, why am I wasting time starting a cult? Why can't Crypto use any of the resources of the United States, considering he's the president and has been brainwashing the population for years?

Everything just feels like a step down from the first game. Like it came time to make a sequel, but they had already used all their ideas in the first game and had nowhere left to go.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Gave up on Pokemon Penultimate Moonmaster. I'm just not feeling it - they keep dragging out these little tutorial sections where they tell you about the latest bullshit that doesn't matter that you can do now and its just making the whole game a false start for me. I want to get into this thing but every time I get a good rhythm going they throw on the breaks so I can learn how to take a picture of myself doing a stupid dance, or make me play the halfass surfing minigame, or just talk at me about something that's just so important on this specific island. I'd like the game if they just let me play the game.

So I stopped, and picked up every single Ace Attorney game instead. I was a little iffy about doing this - I have good memories about the original run of DS games, but its been ages and recently watching a playthrough of the Investigations series made me question if I just remembered wrong. The investigations series suck. They're just padded like whoa and the solutions are often ridiculous, requiring you to just blindly present the same evidence multiple times to get different results. I was afraid that I would go back to these games and find out that they were just bullshit through and through.

As it happens I've been delightfully surprised by the 3DS rerelease of the original three Ace Attorney games. They're just so charming, and the slight graphical upgrade they got really helped the finer details of the models. I blasted through the entire first game, almost by memory, in no time at all. Its been two fucking decades since I played that first game, but so much of it stuck with me since then. At first I was wondering if the game was just very simple, and although a lot of it tracks in a very straightforward way in the first few cases, there is still an expectation that you pay attention to those finer details and figure out the solution on your own.

I expect I'll continue to enjoy the original trilogy, but I have a little trepidation regarding the two later installments I picked up - namely Pokemon Wacky Waxing Gibbous syndrome where I just don't have the patience or the will to slog through the new fluff to get to the meat of the game. There's also the 3D gimmick which hilariously shows up in the originals as an overlay where the character sprite appears as a flat sheet in front of the background. I hope to god the newer games don't force you to use 3D because it makes my eyes ache after like 10 minutes.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
War Thunder again, I have gotten to tier 5.3, and I not moving up because of CAS jets, and helicopters.

I will legit just go to other countries, and likely get every tank on the tier list.

Oh, and the US tree is basically...

Shermans 75mm M3 Gun, Sherman 75mm M3 gun with sloped armor, M18 tank destroyer that can be killed by MG fire, M6 heavy tank which is... good, 76mm Sherman with no sloped armor, and the next tank is 76mm, Sherman, with sloped armor.

I cannot believe we won World War 2 when our tank destroyers could be destroyed by a heavy machine gun. And my Shermans keep getting wrecked by Tiger E Tanks, panthers, and T-34-85.

And if you know what I am saying don't play War Thunder, you win once, then go on a losing streak.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
War Thunder again, I have gotten to tier 5.3, and I not moving up because of CAS jets, and helicopters.

I will legit just go to other countries, and likely get every tank on the tier list.

Oh, and the US tree is basically...

Shermans 75mm M3 Gun, Sherman 75mm M3 gun with sloped armor, M18 tank destroyer that can be killed by MG fire, M6 heavy tank which is... good, 76mm Sherman with no sloped armor, and the next tank is 76mm, Sherman, with sloped armor.

I cannot believe we won World War 2 when our tank destroyers could be destroyed by a heavy machine gun. And my Shermans keep getting wrecked by Tiger E Tanks, panthers, and T-34-85.

And if you know what I am saying don't play War Thunder, you win once, then go on a losing streak.
I'm probably gonna get schooled on this quick but I was under the impression US tanks during WW2 weren't particularly amazing. The Sherman started out the war(42, when the US got involved) being fine but apparently was quite outclassed in 44 when Normandy happened by the heavier German tanks. The T-34 was apparently a better all rounder whlle the German tanks were far better armed and armored(at the cost of being quite expensive and the Tigers in particular were apparently quite prone to breaking down and required a lot of maintenance.

Germany apparently also had this weird problem with spending way too much time upgrading their assembly lines for every single tiny upgrade on a weapons platform, instead of waiting for major revisions. The Shermans real advantage was being easily mass produced and apparently also fairly easy to retrieve and repair from the battlefield, allowing them to be put back into service quickly, basically creating a situation where the Germans couldn't kill them fast enough to make a difference(and that's not even getting into the Germans being hemmed in from 3 sides by 44 and the high command wasting resources on stupid "Wunderwaffe" which did nothing to help them win. It's said Hitler would have approved an armored baby carriage if it was big enough).

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I'm probably gonna get schooled on this quick but I was under the impression US tanks during WW2 weren't particularly amazing. The Sherman started out the war(42, when the US got involved) being fine but apparently was quite outclassed in 44 when Normandy happened by the heavier German tanks. The T-34 was apparently a better all rounder whlle the German tanks were far better armed and armored(at the cost of being quite expensive and the Tigers in particular were apparently quite prone to breaking down and required a lot of maintenance. Germany apparently had this wierd problem with spending way too much time upgrading their assembly lines for every single tiny upgrade on a weapons platform, instead of waiting for major revisions). The Shermans real advantage was being easily mass produced and apparently also fairly easy to retrieve and repair from the battlefield, allowing them to be put back into service quickly.
The problem is not that they weren't meant to fight tanks as a YouTuber named Spookston mentioned, you literally have to flank, and hit the side of a tank to win. And flanking is hard, it requires you to put yourself in danger in the game, and possibly get sniped by another tank. It's easy when there's infantry supporting you, and you outnumber the Germans. It's harder when you have to fight an equal number of tanks.

That's why I want a single-player game like War Thunder. Sadly it doesn't exist on PS5 or PS4.

That, and during World War 2 the allies had air superiority, and German Tanks would break down due to engines, and transmission failures. But they don't model that because the German and Russian players would cry.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The problem is not that they weren't meant to fight tanks as a YouTuber named Spookston mentioned, you literally have to flank, and hit the side of a tank to win. And flanking is hard, it requires you to put yourself in danger in the game, and possibly get sniped by another tank. It's easy when there's infantry supporting you, and you outnumber the Germans. It's harder when you have to fight an equal number of tanks.

That's why I want a single-player game like War Thunder. Sadly it doesn't exist on PS5 or PS4.

That, and during World War 2 the allies had air superiority, and German Tanks would break down due to engines, and transmission failures. But they don't model that because the German and Russian players would cry.
I've read that real Shermans actually did have to try to flank the German Tanks to score kills, so that part sounds accurate. But yeah, not modeling German maintenance difficulties does give them an advantage they would otherwise not have because why would you not pick a Tiger if you had the option?). To be somewhat fair, a lot of wargames don't bother modeling such things because it's too much bother.