A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I am probably in the wrong here, but isn't the local governor allowed to activate the National Guard? My understanding of events is that Pence and the Pentagon basically sent out a call for help to nearby states, all three of whom responded by activating their NG and sending a relief effort to DC.
You are correct. However, Washington DC is not part of any particular state. The Washington DC National Guard can only be deployed by the President as he is the "governor" of the "state." A governor cannot unilaterally deploy their NG into other states either. As each state is considered a sovereign entity, it would be similar to Canada's PM unilaterally sending troops to the US; it could happen and could even be a good thing to do, but it breaks all the rules to do so.

Reactions: Ravinoff

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I struggled to figure out where to put this one.

Rep. Paul Gosar spoke Friday night at a Florida event organized by a white nationalist.

To make the appearance at the far-right AFPAC, an extremist alternative to the annual CPAC gathering of conservatives, Gosar, R-Ariz., had to skip voting in person on the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill that passed the House early Saturday. He had notified the House in writing that he couldn't be physically present in Congress because of the ongoing pandemic.

AFPAC stands for the America First Political Action Committee and was put together by Nick Fuentes, an anti-immigration conservative who attended the 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville and last year was banned from YouTube for repeatedly violating its rules against hate speech.

On Saturday, Gosar made an appearance at the rival CPAC, also staged in Florida this year, where he seemed to make a reference to AFPAC and tried to distance himself from racists.

"I denounce, when we talk about white racism, that’s not appropriate," Gosar said during a panel discussion. "I believe in a strong immigration system, but a legal immigration system."
The optics of this is astounding.

"I can't vote for this desperately needed Covid-19 relief, because I need to extreme alt-right rally where the organizers think Jan 6th was awesome... but I'm going to denounce racism there!"

What?

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
To me, this always read as the National Guard was very clearly backing one side over another.

The army did this too, explicitly being very one sided with their commentd which they never do
No, they were doing the only legal thing they could, acting unilaterally without orders from the National Command Authority (the president, or one of the aforementioned designated successors if the shit has truly hit the fan) would itself be somewhere between treason and a military coup. One of the core principles of the US military command structure is that the CINC and ultimate highest authority in the chain of command must be a civilian. To lay it out very simply, the military supports the legal president whether they like him or not.

The only runaround to that is the Unlawful Orders clause of the Officer's Oath and (I believe) the UCMJ, that allows servicemembers to disobey what they see as an illegal/unconstitutional order. But if you invoke that, you'd better have one hell of a case to back it up in front of a court-martial, because a life sentence in Leavenworth is the least of your worries there.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Wasn't there supposed to be a surprise Trump inauguration today?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder if this what Senator Armstrong wanted/imagine where he wanted a country where the "Strong survive, and the weak die!" If anything, it shows how bullshit the might makes right attitude, and is mostly used by cowards with no resolve or cry the moments things don't go there way.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wonder if this what Senator Armstrong wanted/imagine where he wanted a country where the "Strong survive, and the weak die!" If anything, it shows how bullshit the might makes right attitude, and is mostly used by cowards with no resolve or cry the moments things don't go there way.
Just like that asshat in Texas who literally wrote "only the strong will survive and the weak will parish" when his fellow Texans were without power or running water: He thinks he's strong, when it actually turns out that he's just lucky. The moment that sort runs into the same difficulty as the "weak", they're suddenly like "you have to help me; I deserve it!".

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Just like that asshat in Texas who literally wrote "only the strong will survive and the weak will parish" when his fellow Texans were without power or running water: He thinks he's strong, when it actually turns out that he's just lucky. The moment that sort runs into the same difficulty as the "weak", they're suddenly like "you have to help me; I deserve it!".
Just some additional info for those who hadn't heard about this before:

This was a small town mayor responding to residents he was elected by asking for support from the town government.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Just some additional info for those who hadn't heard about this before:

This was a small town mayor responding to residents he was elected by asking for support from the town government.
He also resigned, complaining all the way that he was the real victim in all this.

Reactions: BrawlMan