Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Are they actually? The police work largely for the people who own things. So the fact that they seem to reliably act a certain way towards a particular community is arguably on those very same people that own things. Including those businesses.

People are being murdered for their race as informal state policy, but, oh, please, won't someone think of the property?
I don't think his concern is the property, but rather the people who will be out of work, including those in the black community that depend on those jobs to feed their families and the people who need vital necessities those stores sell. Members of the local community who were also protesting have voiced these same concerns. The local protesters said the people burning things did not even live there so will not suffer the consequences of the job and resource loss, they will.
Yes. Thank you. If you're not going into the value of property being destroyed or welfare of business owners, consider the impact on the workers and their livelihoods. Consider how many people are going to be out of work after this.

Though I do value the welfare of business owners as well because I don't automatically make an assumption of the politics of the owner or whether they're secretly supporting injustice and don't think they deserve to have their doors kicked, shelves looted, and building burned down.

Well, yes, capitalists might punish the communities which are rioting because they value the absence of tension over the presence of justice. That's on the capitalists making those decisions. It's not like looting a Target is going to somehow cause there not to be demand for the various goods that a Target sells.
The issue is capitalists now is it?

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Yes. Thank you. If you're not going into the value of property being destroyed or welfare of business owners, consider the impact on the workers and their livelihoods. Consider how many people are going to be out of work after this.

Though I do value the welfare of business owners as well because I don't automatically make an assumption of the politics of the owner or whether they're secretly supporting injustice and don't think they deserve to have their doors kicked, shelves looted, and building burned down.

Much of the malcontent with the business owners is due to systemic, corporate induced racism both in employment and racial profiling of customers leading to, causing and endorsing police targeting and harassment of the black community. The constant barrage of false accusations by businesses often lead to the mistreatment by police. Remember that video of the girl lying to the cops about the guy who asked her to leash her dog? How she was in a panic acting like he was trying to rape and murder her or some craziness? That is how businesses have been treating black people for generations now.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
And burning down a city is the responsible way to punish the police?
No, obviously the 'responsible' way to punish the criminals would be to have a justice system that ensures it, but that shit ain't happening anytime soon, as anyone who's been paying attention would know.
This is just basic cause/effect.

Reactions: Bernzz

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, obviously the 'responsible' way to punish the criminals would be to have a justice system that ensures it, but that shit ain't happening anytime soon, as anyone who's been paying attention would know.
This is just basic cause/effect.
The worst part about this is that no one in power is going to listen until you riot because they can just pretend it actually doesn't matter. Then you got Hong Kong, who rioted and still got ignored.

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
And of course, Trump pours gasoline on the fire by tweeting "When the looting starts, the shooting starts."

He's sounding more and more like Joffrey every week.

But wait, it gets better. Twitter hid the tweet behind a message saying that it "violates Twitter's rules about glorifying violence."

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Yes, they're the business owners you're so concerned about and the people who are responsible for any decisions made by those businesses regarding local employment.

Last edited:

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
It's utterly insane that you can choke a man to death on film in the street and get away with it. I feel sorry for the small businesses but when I see the bigger businesses and police stations get burned and looted its hard for me to feel sorry for them.

Maybe be less shit and remember that when the people have had enough all your power disappears in an instant. But really, any protest happening now is a bad idea. Don't forget covid-19!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It's utterly insane that you can choke a man to death on film in the street and get away with it. I feel sorry for the small businesses but when I see the bigger businesses and police stations get burned and looted its hard for me to feel sorry for them.

Maybe be less shit and remember that when the people have had enough all your power disappears in an instant. But really, any protest happening now is a bad idea. Don't forget covid-19!
When those businesses move away and take their jobs with them you will not be in any better shape in the long run though. Also the small business owners are the literal community. They both have to live in these badly policed areas and are also dealing with this now on top of it. Just because you own a business that somehow doesn't make you a citizen of some different dimension. Most people literally live in their businesses.

Earlier I saw this cnn interview of the owner of the shop that called the cops that ended up killing that guy for the counterfit money and he was surrounded by 3 random black dudes who said nothing during the entire interview and his entire demeanor was like that of a hostage reading the terrorist demands and pleading for people to not smash (or I guess light fire to) his shop.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
When those businesses move away and take their jobs with them you will not be in any better shape in the long run though. Also the small business owners are the literal community. They both have to live in these badly policed areas and are also dealing with this now on top of it. Just because you own a business that somehow doesn't make you a citizen of some different dimension. Most people literally live in their businesses.

Earlier I saw this cnn interview of the owner of the shop that called the cops that ended up killing that guy for the counterfit money and he was surrounded by 3 random black dudes who said nothing during the entire interview and his entire demeanor was like that of a hostage reading the terrorist demands and pleading for people to not smash (or I guess light fire to) his shop.
The big businesses won't move away. Not when there's money to be made.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
*whistles* "other evidence that does not support a criminal charge"?!

And he probably WONDERS why the precinct got burned down.

While I'm sad about the damage to the community...Considering that the killer cop in question has a rap sheet the size of east texas and STILL looks like he might walk after the obvious murder he committed live on camera? And the fact that historically, nothing gets done about these killings unless there's a massive riot?

I completely understand why this is going down. People are enraged and rightfully so. They're lashing out in the only way that ever seems to give their legitimate issues any attention. It sucks, but this is centuries of cause and effect just carrying on.

Now, if the precinct had actually detained the killer cop and his accomplices and been like "We are definitely pursuing a murder charge", or hadn't dropped the ball every other time this guy used unreasonable violence...Maybe they could have avoided this.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Nothing will change until politicians, DAs, and police forces start taking police brutality seriously, or protesters come up with something more effective than a riot. In a week or so the violence by civilians will be over and we'll be back to business as usual.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I must say, this last decade, and especially the last three to four years, have had me considering the current systems of justice, both worldwide, but especially in the US.

Perhaps the problem always existed before social media and the 24 hour news cycle brought it into the light, but there seems to be a disparity when it comes to justice. We have seen people who committed murders, war crimes, torture, possibly treason, created concentration camps, and disenfranchised thousands of citizens, walk away with nary a slap on the wrist or a presidential pardon.
To me it raises some dangerous questions about what should happen when the system is so clearly failing. How does one force a return to normalcy? Is it even possible? Must we eat the rich, or will there come a turning point where everyone stands up against the corrupt and powerful? And what should be done about the people who push the responsibility away, on either a national scale or an international one?

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
To me it raises some dangerous questions about what should happen when the system is so clearly failing. How does one force a return to normalcy? Is it even possible? Must we eat the rich, or will there come a turning point where everyone stands up against the corrupt and powerful? And what should be done about the people who push the responsibility away, on either a national scale or an international one?
People will only stand up to power en-masse when they're all suffering.

Otherwise, we're all too comfortable or afraid to lose what we have. There's a reason most revolutions happen when there's a mass food shortage that touches the majority of the population.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
People will only stand up to power en-masse when they're all suffering.

Otherwise, we're all too comfortable or afraid to lose what we have. There's a reason most revolutions happen when there's a mass food shortage that touches the majority of the population.
As Juvenal said, "Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Okay. But they realize they're victimizing people who aren't involved right? Right?

Do they really want the precedent to be that armed uprising targeting business owners and private citizens is the way to accomplish this?
Unfortunately, it is the way to accomplish this. Or, more accurately, it's part of the way to accomplish this.

Innocent people getting hurt in riots is nothing new, it'd be amazing for that not to happen. And when you get angry protests they end up as riots every so often. And when you've got systemic social injustice you get angry protests every so often.

This is not the first time this has happened, it will not be the last.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The worst part about this is that no one in power is going to listen until you riot because they can just pretend it actually doesn't matter. Then you got Hong Kong, who rioted and still got ignored.
And the fact that historically, nothing gets done about these killings unless there's a massive riot?
Name one time a riot brought about swift justice.

We just did this with the Ahmaud Arbery case. No riots, guys are in jail awaiting trial. Or the cop that thought she was in her own apartment and shot a man in his. No riot, convicted. There are many cases where black men got killed and shouldn't have where the killer got convicted, and many where the killer didn't, but I can't think of a single instance where a riot changed the situation.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Name one time a riot brought about swift justice.

We just did this with the Ahmaud Arbery case. No riots, guys are in jail awaiting trial. Or the cop that thought she was in her own apartment and shot a man in his. No riot, convicted. There are many cases where black men got killed and shouldn't have where the killer got convicted, and many where the killer didn't, but I can't think of a single instance where a riot changed the situation.
Ameican Revolution? I seem to remember something about tea.

As to swift, nothing is ever swift

Edit: I would also add that protester has a very high failure rate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.