Zack Snyder’s Justice League

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
That thumbnail looks like it could be from "300" or more likely, its sequel. The scene itself, while more "fantastical" has a remarkably similar look too.
It's fine if you like 2009 Zack Snyder aesthetics, to me it simply looks dated.

I'll give it that some of the shots look very close to how i'd imagine comic book stills would look like, though with washed out colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
OK I gotta admit, this scene was fucking badass

The problem that I have with that fight, is that it is just a big CGI battle, between two groups of people, who I don't know, nor do I care about.

In contrast to Avenger's Endgame's big CGI battle, which had 10 years worth of character development and build-up behind it.

And also because a fair portion of that scene is in the theatrical release, which I just rewatched.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The problem that I have with that fight, is that it is just a big CGI battle, between two groups of people, who I don't know, nor do I care about.

In contrast to Avenger's Endgame's big CGI battle, which had 10 years worth of character development and build-up behind it.

And also because a fair portion of that scene is in the theatrical release, which I just rewatched.
Do I need 10 years worth of movies to know who The Old Gods and New Gods are that I've already learned just by investment of the franchise that I've followed in other media?

And the thing about this CGI Battle is that its a backstory/ancient lore type of thing like the opening of the Fellowship of the Rings, but I don't see anyone lamenting the lack of movies about Sauron, Isildur, and Gil'galad.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Do I need 10 years worth of movies to know who The Old Gods and New Gods are that I've already learned just by investment of the franchise that I've followed in other media?

And the thing about this CGI Battle is that its a backstory/ancient lore type of thing like the opening of the Fellowship of the Rings, but I don't see anyone lamenting the lack of movies about Sauron, Isildur, and Gil'galad.
The Lord of the Rings is building on the established lore and folktales of Europe - the majority audience at time of publication - its imagery had been common storytelling material for centuries.

So do YOU or indeed I need backstory for Darkseid and Apokolips? No we do not, but there’s a damn good chance that to a lot of the people watching it, Steppenwolf has only ever been that band their dad likes. Jack Kirby’s New Gods are some big idea stuff that need eased into a little. Do we need ten films? Probably not, but a Superman sequel being used as their introduction wouldn’t have gone amiss.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
No spoilers
1. Thought it was great. Its nothing like bvs, also nothing like JWs justice league. It was nice to see a film that takes advantage of ZSs skill with cinematics but still tells a solid story. I think he must have really spent time with some outside voices writing and editing wise. It's not four hours of music montages ZS is known for. They spend a ton of time on character development.
2. Confused and annoyed with JW. I went in with low expectations thinking it would unfinished and filled in with cgi, stills whatever. Atleast an hour and a half is fully complete scenes that literally felt missing in the JW version. Stuff that has serious value to the story. I have trouble believing they got all these people back for this much reshooting. Was Joss just being an asshole?
3. Everything Joss shot looks to be gone. The movie is somber, but not emo DAAARRKKNESS. There's some cringy stuff Joss put in there I'm glad is gone honestly.
4. They spend a great deal of time showing you that these characters are essentially gods. Like a step above superhero. Seeing the magnitude of their potential was neat.
5. Flash still sucks. Zack tried, and I tolerate the character more than most but...eeeh that run. He shouldnt run like that in public. He runs like Steven seagal and no amount of cgi can fix it.
6. Big pass on the fan stuff. Felt shoe horned in. I'm glad they put it in where it doesn't hurt the movie.
7. Sorry Zack you still needed a whole movie of Superman actually being Superman. You tried but the idea of the world missing him still feels inauthentic considering how little time he was around before he died. That said if they could ever talk people into coming back I'd pay for a sequel.
8. Oh it's rated R for a good reason. Man there is some serious Garth Ennis level gore in this.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No spoilers
1. Thought it was great. Its nothing like bvs, also nothing like JWs justice league. It was nice to see a film that takes advantage of ZSs skill with cinematics but still tells a solid story. I think he must have really spent time with some outside voices writing and editing wise. It's not four hours of music montages ZS is known for. They spend a ton of time on character development.
2. Confused and annoyed with JW. I went in with low expectations thinking it would unfinished and filled in with cgi, stills whatever. Atleast an hour and a half is fully complete scenes that literally felt missing in the JW version. Stuff that has serious value to the story. I have trouble believing they got all these people back for this much reshooting. Was Joss just being an asshole?
3. Everything Joss shot looks to be gone. The movie is somber, but not emo DAAARRKKNESS. There's some cringy stuff Joss put in there I'm glad is gone honestly.
4. They spend a great of time showing you that these characters are essentially gods. Like a step above superhero. Seeing the magnitude of their potential was neat.
5. Flash still sucks. Zack tried, and I tolerate the character more than most but...eeeh that run. He shouldnt run like that in public. He runs like Steven seagal and no amount of cgi can fix it.
6. Big pass on the fan stuff. Felt shoe horned in. I'm glad they put it in where it doesn't hurt the movie.
7. Sorry Zack you still needed a whole movie of Superman actually being Superman. You tried but the idea of the world missing him still feels inauthentic considering how little time he was around before he died. That said if they could ever talk people into coming back I'd pay for a sequel.
Cutting an hour and a half and still having two hours is a sign the movie got away from the writers. Like, no studio was going to accept a four hour movie about superhero’s that didn’t have the word ‘Avengers’ in the title. Zack may have had a bold and grand vision but the series hadn’t earned enough clout with audiences and cinemas to absorb that kind of investment. By the sounds of it, Justice League should have been two movies much later. It is however better to fail due to over ambition than any other reason.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

I suppose if you are already invested in these characters, then I can appreciate that it must be cool to see these characters adapted into film, but as someone whose understanding of DC is very Batman-centric, I have 0 appreciation for what is going on here.

As for the LotR comparison, I don't really need much LotR knowledge to know that a massive battle between humans, dwarves, elves and orcs is cool as fuck, because I can glean from my existing knowledge of those things, from other franchises. I know comparatively little about Old Gods, New Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, Darkseid and Steppenwolf. Not to mention that it is just a little bit jarring seeing this, as someone whose DC knowledge basically starts and ends with Batman beating up goons.

But, I do concede that this is very much a "me" thing.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I suppose if you are already invested in these characters, then I can appreciate that it must be cool to see these characters adapted into film, but as someone whose understanding of DC is very Batman-centric, I have 0 appreciation for what is going on here.

As for the LotR comparison, I don't really need much LotR knowledge to know that a massive battle between humans, dwarves, elves and orcs is cool as fuck, because I can glean from my existing knowledge of those things, from other franchises. I know comparatively little about Old Gods, New Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, Darkseid and Steppenwolf. Not to mention that it is just a little bit jarring seeing this, as someone whose DC knowledge basically starts and ends with Batman beating up goons.

But, I do concede that this is very much a "me" thing.
Well no; part of the movie’s job is to give context to those who know nothing about it. Another part is getting you emotionally invested. Making you care. If the movie fails at doing that then It’s failed a primary purpose.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Lord of the Rings is building on the established lore and folktales of Europe - the majority audience at time of publication - its imagery had been common storytelling material for centuries.

So do YOU or indeed I need backstory for Darkseid and Apokolips? No we do not, but there’s a damn good chance that to a lot of the people watching it, Steppenwolf has only ever been that band their dad likes. Jack Kirby’s New Gods are some big idea stuff that need eased into a little. Do we need ten films? Probably not, but a Superman sequel being used as their introduction wouldn’t have gone amiss.
I mean I'll grant the movie that same justification for the greek gods, because just like the folktales of europe, most of the western world, are broadly familiar with the greek pantheon, from centuries of them being used in pop media, and a lot of their usage in the recent decades. I just don't have any connection to them in this setting. If we're just going to rely on audience knowledge of greek mythology, to do all of the narrative legwork, then I'm always going to be painting them as rapists and narcissists, and I'm not really going to have much invested in them fighting cgi comic characters. But if some time had been used, to actually flesh out the greek pantheon, to give them some depth beyond their muscle definition and ability to scream at the camera, I might care. But it IS just a flashback exposition scene, so it's not really trying to do that. Which is fine really, the movie isn't The Greek League, so I don't really care that they aren't putting emphasis on these characters. But, that lack of time devoted to them as characters, makes me not really care about them. I have zero investiture in the scene or it's outcome. We KNOW, by the simple fact that Earth isn't a conquest of Darkseid, that they won, so it's sort of pointless narration.

And as further defense of the film, I didn't really give a shit about the big fight at the end of Endgame either. It was just so much CGI, and each fight was a cameo moment at best, just to check the box of "ok, they got screen time, next hero!' There was very little emotional weight to any of it for me personally, and I enjoy the marvel films, and empathize with most of the characters for pretty much all of those films. So I can't say that "the cgi mashup of action figures" in that one scene, is really any different, than a plethora of other films, that equally relied on spectacle instead of substance. I still don't think, even for a SPECTACLE scene, that it LOOKS very SPECTACULAR.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Aren't they still doing another Suicide Squad movie in the same continuity, or have they partially rebooted some of that?
They're not rebooting so much as declaring other movies non-canon. So Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League are all now non-canon for the DCEU, and all other movies are not connected yet. Like Wonder Woman and 1984 are to be considered their own universe and the fact WW looks like the same WW from Justice League is a coincidence.
Aquaman, Shazam, Flash, Suicide Squad, WW3 if there is one, they're all separate continuities until they come together for a movie that works.

That was the failing of the DCEU, the whole thing smacks of sloppy, rushed writing painfully and obviously looking for a Marvel payday without any of the investment. They wanted to skip the 10 years worth of characters and stories and just rush to the $3 Billion box office as if that was an easy thing for Marvel. As if Marvel doesn't plan movies and events out years in advanced.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
They're not rebooting so much as declaring other movies non-canon. So Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League are all now non-canon for the DCEU, and all other movies are not connected yet. Like Wonder Woman and 1984 are to be considered their own universe and the fact WW looks like the same WW from Justice League is a coincidence.
Aquaman, Shazam, Flash, Suicide Squad, WW3 if there is one, they're all separate continuities until they come together for a movie that works.

That was the failing of the DCEU, the whole thing smacks of sloppy, rushed writing painfully and obviously looking for a Marvel payday without any of the investment. They wanted to skip the 10 years worth of characters and stories and just rush to the $3 Billion box office as if that was an easy thing for Marvel. As if Marvel doesn't plan movies and events out years in advanced.
I actually find it kind of funny, how much the DC films are reflecting the chaos that is the DC comic world. So many disparate stories, with insanely different power leveled people, all acting independently, but doing things that would impact the other lines in significant ways, that is just....overlooked. but when people do try and moosh it all together, it becomes a huge mess, and they have to flip the table and try and Crisis themselves back to a stable franchise. The movies seem to be barreling head first in that direction.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Was Joss just being an asshole?
By all accounts, yes.
Despite still having a lot of problems with the movie, I don't really have the energy to pick on them anymore. Flash is the sole exception. Nothing about him works. He is never funny, he looks like shit, and he only had two scenes where I thought he was even remotely interesting. Kinda sucks that the Flashpoint movie, if it ever comes out, is stuck with this guy.

The movies seem to be barreling head first in that direction.
Speaking of Flashpoint... The Flash solo movie has gone through so many scripts and so many directors, I still really have no idea if its coming out for real and what it's supposed to do. It's gonna have Cyborg (unlikely now given Ray Fisher's feelings towards WB), Batfleck (also unlikely, plus I honestly don't even care about him anymore), fucking Michael Keaton (the only thing I would be interested in).

Honestly, they could just drop the idea of DCEU for a good long while. Shazam was fine enough, and the Black Adam movie has some promise. Suicide Squad could be good. I have high hopes for The Batman. I genuinely enjoyed Aquaman and it was super successful so a sequel is inevitable. They have enough movies coming up for people to forget that the "Snyderverse" was thing. Having a Flashpoint movie just to reboot everything feels like it would be just to save some face, and I don't think that's worth it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I actually find it kind of funny, how much the DC films are reflecting the chaos that is the DC comic world. So many disparate stories, with insanely different power leveled people, all acting independently, but doing things that would impact the other lines in significant ways, that is just....overlooked. but when people do try and moosh it all together, it becomes a huge mess, and they have to flip the table and try and Crisis themselves back to a stable franchise. The movies seem to be barreling head first in that direction.
The problem with DC and the DCEU is their two leading guys have to basically be gods. Batman, despite just being an a dude, can never be outsmarted, never be surprised, never beaten permanently, and always has to have a Oceans 11 style master plan going on the entire time, and because he's always the writer's favorite character he always has to be the coolest. He's basically Freakazoid, where his special power is the writers are on his payroll.

Superman punches God. Like literally, its been established Superman is strong enough to move the Milky Way, he can move faster than light and time, he beat up God God, and Death itself admits he can't kill Superman. Characters like that its really hard to have a meaningful story. There was one story where Superman admitted everything, all of the fights, the villains, the disasters, the losses and death, he allowed all of it to happen to retain his humanity and he was never in danger, and he could beat every villain in the known Universe at the same time instantly and could bring the dead back to life and basically transcend into God, and was just choosing not to.
And how do you have a character like that not just come off as some cruel Lovecraftian God that's just toying with humanity for shits and giggles.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The problem with DC and the DCEU is their two leading guys have to basically be gods. Batman, despite just being an a dude, can never be outsmarted, never be surprised, never beaten permanently, and always has to have a Oceans 11 style master plan going on the entire time, and because he's always the writer's favorite character he always has to be the coolest. He's basically Freakazoid, where his special power is the writers are on his payroll.

Superman punches God. Like literally, its been established Superman is strong enough to move the Milky Way, he can move faster than light and time, he beat up God God, and Death itself admits he can't kill Superman. Characters like that its really hard to have a meaningful story. There was one story where Superman admitted everything, all of the fights, the villains, the disasters, the losses and death, he allowed all of it to happen to retain his humanity and he was never in danger, and he could beat every villain in the known Universe at the same time instantly and could bring the dead back to life and basically transcend into God, and was just choosing not to.
And how do you have a character like that not just come off as some cruel Lovecraftian God that's just toying with humanity for shits and giggles.
I don't disagree. I will say those problems aren't unique to Bats and Supes, but are just a flow of many protagonists in writing. But yes, Bats has to be a ridiculous manipulator to even hope of dealing with the people he's put up against. It's total bullshit, given the powers established for the antagonists, but hey, that's the reality we live in. Fans want to see batman punch god and win, so writers have to asspull an increasingly insane series of contrivances to make that happen. And yes, with Supes, the ever increasing series of powers they give him, makes it hard to write any story with tension, that is built around conflict.

That "I am so OP i can beat every villain in the universe at the same insant" line seems.....rather ridiculous. Not saying it didn't happen, just that whatever editor allowed that to clear and go to publication, was fucking high, as was the person who decided that was a good idea on how to write Supes. Just don't make him that powerful, it's not that hard. Just fucking scale back his powers, and leave them there. I know that's almost a cardinal sin in the comic world, to not give heroes new abilities, but then you have the power creep problem.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I don't disagree. I will say those problems aren't unique to Bats and Supes, but are just a flow of many protagonists in writing. But yes, Bats has to be a ridiculous manipulator to even hope of dealing with the people he's put up against. It's total bullshit, given the powers established for the antagonists, but hey, that's the reality we live in. Fans want to see batman punch god and win, so writers have to asspull an increasingly insane series of contrivances to make that happen. And yes, with Supes, the ever increasing series of powers they give him, makes it hard to write any story with tension, that is built around conflict.

That "I am so OP i can beat every villain in the universe at the same insant" line seems.....rather ridiculous. Not saying it didn't happen, just that whatever editor allowed that to clear and go to publication, was fucking high, as was the person who decided that was a good idea on how to write Supes. Just don't make him that powerful, it's not that hard. Just fucking scale back his powers, and leave them there. I know that's almost a cardinal sin in the comic world, to not give heroes new abilities, but then you have the power creep problem.
I actually thought Justice League/Justice League Unlimited did a good job of having Superman being powerful, but there were several heroes on par, and some might have an edge. Like Shazam was every bit as strong and fast, he just didn't have the experience, and his greatest weapon, his magic, was also the only way to beat him.
Or like when Darkseid showed up with the anti-life equation Batman and Superman had to fight him together and even still they didn't win, Lex Luthor had to pull an Iron Man and absorb the anti-life equation and wish Darkseid away.
And even the US government was like "just line our secret bases with lead and sound baffle so Superman can't hear or see anything, and hey kryptonite is a thing and Captain Atom is still active service Air Force and can literally generate kryptonite energy at will"
And and then every now and then actual Greek Gods would pimp in from Wonder Woman's stories and yeah Hercules the demiGod is every bit as strong as Superman and its kinda cool seeing them fight, then turn friends, then fight monsters.
And and and Batman would openly admit he's out of his depth when like magic is involved and went and got the magic users of the JL when he needed help.

Basically what I'm saying is Zack Snyder should have taken that 70 million and just ordered an extra 10 seasons of Justice League Unlimited and it would have been one of the best received DC events in years.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's kinda funny in retrospect hearing this dispute over LOTR vs Justice League.

While "hate" is a strong word, I really didn't enjoy the LOTR trilogy when I got dragged to it in theaters. I went in without any real context and it just seemed like a boring mess to me. I distinctly remember the scene where faramir first show up on screen and the crowd whooped and I was like "well wtf is this guy, why are we cheering??". Years later after doing my wiki research I got baked one weekend and sat through the whole extended trilogy. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but Id still attribute some of it to having a better context of what was going on.

Speaking strictly in retrospect yet I 100% agree doing BVS and justice league in this weird vacuum of cinematic universe was a shit idea and it really shows in both movies, in that context, this not me fanboying I promise, but that ends up being the brunt of what you get in this new version. Trying not to be spoilerly but they completely rearranged the movie so it's a lot more build up. You actually get to learn who Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg etc are. There's a lot of time spent helping you understand their perspective and identies which is nice. Its not just a bunch of montages and then a team up at the end. Its a much more gradual build up this time. It doesnt make up for all that time needed building up this dumpster of a CU, but it really helps. I still despise Zasck Snyders writing, but this was pretty great, at least for me whos always ready for superhero stuff.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Quite liked Ray Cyborg's side of the story and the lighting makes the later battles look watchable as opposed to the horrid red CGI sea in the original cut's trailer. However, I've a much harder time believing Ray's bitterness is only cause his body is mostly kickass alien robot tech, when instead his mind is implied to be constantly connected to everything online including the dredges of twitter, facebook, youtube, gab, parker, telegram, law enforcement rant and all the other gutters of festering human resentment. Having all that directly shot into your brain must take a toll more than the shiny chrome flying ninja robot knees, surely?
Tho tbh I didn't watch the last half hour as everything seemed concluded enough and I was itching to go back to killing nazis in Wolfenstein while listening to podcasts about neo nazi MMA fight clubs.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's kinda funny in retrospect hearing this dispute over LOTR vs Justice League.

While "hate" is a strong word, I really didn't enjoy the LOTR trilogy when I got dragged to it in theaters. I went in without any real context and it just seemed like a boring mess to me. I distinctly remember the scene where faramir first show up on screen and the crowd whooped and I was like "well wtf is this guy, why are we cheering??". Years later after doing my wiki research I got baked one weekend and sat through the whole extended trilogy. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but Id still attribute some of it to having a better context of what was going on.
I love that you said this. Specifically because I had a similar experience, but with the novels. Back when I was in highschool, in the 90s, I tried, multiple times, to read Fellowship, but, FUUUUUUCK was it boring. Chapter after chapter after CHAPTER of the Shire, and all the wacky hijinx of the hobbits! Ooooh, look at those silly Bagginses and Floppinsens, and Toodleflipperies! They have a "heated, generations long -rivalry-" over a set of teacups!! OOOooh, isn't that just so quaint and delightful!! No...no it's not, it's fucking boring. And petty, and spiteful. Oh good, we're leaving the Shire...fucking FINALLY!!! ....wait...who is this prancing, dancing, rhyming shitbag who's literally just dancing his way into the scene like a streaker at a sports game? Tom Bombadil? Oh god....oh god no. He...he thinks he's in a fucking musical. Oh god please make it stop. *puts book down and swears to pick it up again later* *years pass* Hmm, maybe I should give it a try again, but...I don't remember anything, so I'd better start at the beginning again......oh god.....oh god I remember why I stopped reading this. That happened like 3 different times, before I literally had to be TRIPPING ON ACID, and needed something to occupy my mind while I was alone in my dorm room, for several hours. THAT was finally how I was able to get through that fucking book, and then continue the series later when I was no longer tripping. I just, I really don't think the books are as amazing as people make them out to be. And the films are good films, but still, nothing that I really think is amazing.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I just cannot comprehend why it looks dreadful, and I've seen plenty of battles in film and television to know what's dreadful and what's not.