The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The main thing that irks me is that all of these movies you can still find on the shelf at a Best Buy, Target, or Wal-Mart and a kids could still buy them since they're rated "G" or "PG". No store gonna stop kid from buying a kids film. I see as them sorta pointlessly hiding something for no other reason, when a label warning would have been fine enough. It's what WB does with their cartoons. Show some fucking acknowledgement for your past. Quit hiding and denying for the sake of your fucking money tree. Pretending to look and be all innocent.
I don't think a label warning would have much effect for a kid though; they're probably not going to draw much of a conclusion from that. And I don't think many kids actually buy physical media anymore (that isn't comicbooks).

And while these characters are part of our history, and you shouldn't ignore it, it becomes a bit iffy when many of them are aimed at children. By giving them a parental lock you're hopefully giving some insurance that an adult is there to give the proper context and explain that some of these portrayals are not good. This isn't a garantee ofcourse since some parents won't really care, but I see it as the happiest medium.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I don't think many kids actually buy physical media anymore (that isn't comicbooks).
You'd be surprised. There are kids that do. Not as much as say back in the 90s/2000s, but they still do.

By giving them a parental lock you're hopefully giving some insurance that an adult is there to give the proper context and explain that some of these portrayals are not good. This isn't a garantee ofcourse since some parents won't really care, but I see it as the happiest medium.
That's the main problem. It comes off as hypocritical, and noted in video, kids still have easy access to violent content from Star Wars and Marvel properties. Those shows have no parental locks nor need an adult account to access them. The reason being that these two IPs make them too much money to do so, and Western society says violence and gore is OK, but apparently drawing the line nudity/sex, naughty language, or somethning from the past that is uncomfortable. While kids may not understand the full context and needs a responsible and caring adult to learn the context, kids aren't stupid. Even at the age 8 & 9, I could mostly tell when somethings a racist/sexist stereotype. If I could figure that out, the kids of today can too.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's the main problem. It comes off as hypocritical, and noted in video, kids still have easy access to violent content from Star Wars and Marvel properties. Those shows have no parental locks nor need an adult account to access them. The reason being that these two IPs make them too much money to do so, and Western society says violence and gore is OK, but apparently drawing the line nudity/sex, naughty language, or somethning from the past that is uncomfortable.
Are the Marvel and Star Wars movies that violent though? I mean sure, there's action in them, but I can't say much of it was that violent. We're a farcry from 80's PG-13 with hearts being ripped out and faces melting off. Even the early 2000's superhero movies give Marvel a run for their money in terms of violence. I don't think Disney is that okay with violence in their content anymore either. And I think there's a very clear line between sex and violence in media, and racist content that is either normalized or is given a pretty bow.

And while Disney is obviously hypocritical - they're a corporation after all - I think this a proper move from them.
While kids may not understand the full context and needs a responsible and caring adult to learn the context, kids aren't stupid. Even at the age 8 & 9, I could mostly tell when somethings a racist/sexist stereotype. If I could figure that out, the kids of today can too.
Yeah, but not every kid is the same. I can't exactly switch back my brain to how I thought as a kid, but I can definitely recall moments in movies that as a kid, and even a teenager, I didn't think twice about and either found funny or just normal, that I now look at and think 'holy shit, that was kinda awful'. And I can't say those moments didn't influence how I viewed certain things.

Ofcourse the benefit kids today have is that current society is quite a bit more open-minded about certain things that 80's and 90's media still gleefully ripped into, so that these older, stereotypical depictions have a higher chance of being countered by a parent or teacher or whoever. Which is why I think putting a parental lock on this kind of content will only increase this chance.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I sat down and rewatched Cowboy bebop and the Cowboy Bebop: The Movie over the last week. I hadn't watched it in about 10 years and I felt like feeling some genuine emotions. I don't really have anything to add to the conversation regarding it other than to whinge about it being so difficult to find "anime" of that quality these days. It's a shame contained, well written, short stories like that only come around every few years. No I don't want to talk about goddamn AOT.

giphy.gif

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are the Marvel and Star Wars movies that violent though? I mean sure, there's action in them, but I can't say much of it was that violent. We're a farcry from 80's PG-13 with hearts being ripped out and faces melting off. Even the early 2000's superhero movies give Marvel a run for their money in terms of violence. I don't think Disney is that okay with violence in their content anymore either. And I think there's a very clear line between sex and violence in media, and racist content that is either normalized or is given a pretty bow.
Not the point. Yes, PG-13 violence is differernt and way neutered compared to the 80s/90s/early 2000s, but a good amount of the violence I would not call child friendly. Don't downplay it. I don't like racist content either, but they should be honest about it

And while Disney is obviously hypocritical - they're a corporation after all - I think this a proper move from them.
Does not make it right. All they are doing his another form of running away and hiding racism. They ain't protecting the children; they are pulling similar shit like Songs of the South. Pretending or hiding something that does not exist. Once again, I bring WB. In their Looney Tunes collections of their old stuff, they bother to put a title disclaimer or have a celebrity come in and read it to give context to trends and different eras of certain cartoons. WB does not erase nor do they try to deny it, yet they still are making tons of money. They knew exactly what to do.

Yeah, but not every kid is the same. I can't exactly switch back my brain to how I thought as a kid, but I can definitely recall moments in movies that as a kid, and even a teenager, I didn't think twice about and either found funny or just normal, that I now look at and think 'holy shit, that was kinda awful'. And I can't say those moments didn't influence how I viewed certain things.
Once again everyone's different, but should never underestimate a child's intelligence. I was not perfect either, but it's called learning. Hell, there are some movies/shows I liked as a child, but can't stand them in my late teens, 20s, or now. Either due to realizing or annoying or selfish certain characters are, shows that stuck in decade they premiered (Rocket Power being one of the biggest examples).

Ofcourse the benefit kids today have is that current society is quite a bit more open-minded about certain things that 80's and 90's media still gleefully ripped into, so that these older, stereotypical depictions have a higher chance of being countered by a parent or teacher or whoever.
Agreed in this regard.

Which is why I think putting a parental lock on this kind of content will only increase this chance.
That does nothing. A child can still find these movies and either purchase them, or have their parent/legal guardian buy it for them on store shelves. It's just Disney being cowardly bitches again.

I sat down and rewatched Cowboy bebop and the Cowboy Bebop: The Movie over the last week. I hadn't watched it in about 10 years and I felt like feeling some genuine emotions. I don't really have anything to add to the conversation regarding it other than to whinge about it being so difficult to find "anime" of that quality these days. It's a shame contained, well written, short stories like that only come around every few years. No I don't want to talk about goddamn AOT.
AoT is overrated as fuck. It's just the Walking Dead with giant monsters. I stopped after the first season. While you're at it, rewatch Outlaw Star and Trigun again (Thus completing the Holy Trinity of Space Western anime). After that, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, and Carol & Tuesday. All three these shows are from the same guy who did Bebop. Though I still have to check out Carol & Tuesday myself.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Does not make it right. All they are doing his another form of running away and hiding racism. They ain't protecting the children; they are pulling similar shit like Songs of the South. Pretending or hiding something that does not exist. Once again, I bring WB. In their Looney Tunes collections of their old stuff, they bother to put a title disclaimer or have a celebrity come in and read it to give context to trends and different eras of certain cartoons. WB does not erase nor do they try to deny it, yet they still are making tons of money. They knew exactly what to do.
I don't read that as Disney trying to hide it though. If they really wanted to erase it and pretend it didn't exist they would've removed the movies from their service entirely. I'm not completely familiar with how these movies are catagorized now, but from what I gathered they're not in the adult section nor in the child-friendly section. And they're not censored either.

That's what bugged me about how they treated movies like Adventures in Babysitting, where it's just thoroughly sliced up, forcing it to be as child-friendly as possible without any alternative. Taking movies like The Aristocats and Dumbo and keeping them as they are but putting a child lock on it feels like a right way to handle older movies like that. It's something I wish they'd done for Adventures in Babysitting or Splash.

And I know Disney has been pretty racist in a lot of their movies, and that them trying to play the good guy by sort of locking that away feels a little dishonest, but I feel the way they handled this is a net positive overall. There's also way more other things about Disney that actually piss me off.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't read that as Disney trying to hide it though.
It is hiding in certain way, but not even good job at hiding it. Let's say the adult or parent in question, gives the child the username and password, because they feel the kid in question is old enough to handle it (or sees no harm in showing them). They can still access these movies easily,

That's what bugged me about how they treated movies like Adventures in Babysitting, where it's just thoroughly sliced up, forcing it to be as child-friendly as possible without any alternative. Taking movies like The Aristocats and Dumbo and keeping them as they are but putting a child lock on it feels like a right way to handle older movies like that. It's something I wish they'd done for Adventures in Babysitting or Splash.
Once again, both are part of the same problem. Yes, lock the situation is better, but only by comparison. AiB and Splash you can still find on movie shelves in stores or by ordering them on Amazon. Leading what I said to them early by saying that Disney it just hiding behind something instead of straight up admitting it or making disclaimer.

And I know Disney has been pretty racist in a lot of their movies, and that them trying to play the good guy by sort of locking that away feels a little dishonest,
There is no little, it's a lot of dishonesty.

There's also way more other things about Disney that actually piss me off.
I agree, but it's part of that same cycle. The production and them filming Mulan (2020) right by concentration camps in China being a huge issue for me. I know you're already aware of that story, so I won't go over the details.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Watched the first couple episodes of Otherside Picnic and damn, it's got its hooks in me.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I finally got up to date with Yuru Camp and watched the first series (again) to remind myself of what the plot was (not much of a plot, given it's an iyashikei series, but still).

It's chill, I like (and rewatched).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Started watching Dr. Stone and it's surprisingly good.

Normally I steer clear of the anime that get pushed by Crunchyroll as they tend to be utter garbage, so I was really pleasantly surprised.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
AoT is overrated as fuck. It's just the Walking Dead with giant monsters. I stopped after the first season. While you're at it, rewatch Outlaw Star and Trigun again (Thus completing the Holy Trinity of Space Western anime). After that, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, and Carol & Tuesday. All three these shows are from the same guy who did Bebop. Though I still have to check out Carol & Tuesday myself.
Man I tried really hard to like Space Dandy and I just don't. The main character isn't interesting or likable, and the stories didn't feel particularly thought out or interesting. I thought I would really enjoy the retro sci-fi aesthetic but I don't think even that was particularly well done. I got bored half way through and never bothered finishing it.

Huge shame because I do love Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Beebop, and Kids on the Slope.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man I tried really hard to like Space Dandy and I just don't. The main character isn't interesting or likable, and the stories didn't feel particularly thought out or interesting. I thought I would really enjoy the retro sci-fi aesthetic but I don't think even that was particularly well done. I got bored half way through and never bothered finishing it.
Dandy does have a rough start, but I feel the show gets better late in to S1 and all of S2. The facts there is no seemingly overarching plot does not help itself on a first time viewing, unless you're paying close attention. I did notice in S2, Dandy does get nicer and some of the side character get better development. Plus, S2 seemed a lot more fun and focused compared to S1.

Since you don't plan on watching I'll reveal some big spoilers: The reason Dandy keeps dying in certain episodes while appearing like nothing happened, is because he has the ability to body hop to alternate dimensions where he's still alive. It's never explained why or how he got other than he just does. Also, the person narrating is God and wants Dandy to takes his place. Dandy refuses and resets everything back to the 1st episode, but aware of his journey.

The show has an amazing funk and electronic soundtrack. I still listen to it.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dandy does have a rough start, but I feel the show gets better in late in to S1 and all of S2. The facts there is no seemingly overarching plot does not help itself on a first time viewing, unless you're paying close attention. I did notice in S2, Dandy does get nicer and some of the side character get better development. Plus, S2 seemed a lot more fun and focused compared to S1.

Since you don't plan on watching I'll reveal some big spoilers: the reason keeps dying in certain episodes while appearing like nothing happened, is because he has the ability to body hop to alternate dimensions where he's still alive. It's never explained why or how he got other than he just does. Also, the person narrating is God and wants Dandy to takes his place. Dandy refuses and resets everything back to the 1st episode, but aware of his journey.

The show has an amazing funk and electronic soundtrack. I still listen to it.
I think my biggest problem with the show wasn't just that there's basically no overarching plot, it's the fact that some episodes just kind of end in the middle of the episode. The complete lack of narrative cohesion makes me not care about what's coming next because it ultimately doesn't matter. That's why I never felt the need to finish it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think my biggest problem with the show wasn't just that there's basically no overarching plot, it's the fact that some episodes just kind of end in the middle of the episode. The complete lack of narrative cohesion makes me not care about what's coming next because it ultimately doesn't matter. That's why I never felt the need to finish it.
No problem. I had a similar problem to Michiko and Hatchen. That anime did have an overarching plot, but becomes almost pointless. The show is about an escaped convict/former gang remember (Michiko) looking meeting up with a friend's (Hiroshi) daughter (Hatchen) from the same gang and tries to get them reunited. The show itself had people that worked on Samurai Champloo work on the show (not the director though) and I give credit for anime that focuses on dark skinned/black characters in a non-fantasy setting and not look nor act like racists stereotypes. M&H takes place in Brazil. The shows main issue is unlike the side characters in Bebop, Champloo, or even Dandy; there is no point in getting attached most of them, because they are either assholes, assholes trying to screw our protagonists over, assholes fucking over innocents or other assholes. What exacerbates the matter is that Michiko becomes more of a jerk ass as the show goes on. It's intentional, but I felt it was the wrong move to make; especially, if your character is a female version of Mugen, but even dumber than him.

The end goal does not matter, because as hinted at and later spelled out, Hatchen's father is a dead beat dad that abandoned her. And does the same thing again to her. Hatchin later gets pregnant off in her mid-teens and her baby daddy runs off too. After that, it's just her and her baby boy, but she later meets up with Michi again and they're reunited. Two against the world. Though its kept ambiguous if Michi got let out of prison or escaped again. I admit, the only reason I care about the show is the unique aesthetics and settings. Plus, I care about Hatchen. Mitchi is okay, but I do find aggravating as the series goes on, but I would still take in a heartbeat over characters like Revy, Asuka Langely, or any other asshole who make nothing, but nihilistic rants or are just bratty bitches for little justifications, and we're supposed to feel sympathy over their wounded precious pride.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No problem. I had a similar problem to Michikoand Hatchen. That anime did have an overarching plot, but becomes almost pointless. The show is about an escaped convict/former gang remember (Michiko) looking meeting up with a friend's (Hiroshi) daughter (Hatchen) from the same gang and tries to get them reunited. The show itself had people that worked on Samurai Champloo work on the show (not the director though) and I give credit for anime that focuses on dark skinned/black characters in a non-fantasy setting and not look nor act like racists stereotypes. M&H takes place in Brazil. The shows main issue is unlike the side characters in Bebop, Champloo, or even Dandy; there is no point in getting attached most of them, because they are either assholes, assholes trying to screw our protagonists over, assholes fucking over innocents or other assholes. What exacerbates the matter is that Michikobecomes more of a jerk ass as the show goes on. It's intentional, but I felt it was the wrong move to make; especially if your character is a female version of Mugen, but even dumber than him.

The end goal does not matter, because as hinted at and later spelled out, Hatchen's father is a dead beat dad that abandoned her. And does the same thing again to her. Hatchin later gets pregnant off in her mid-teens and her baby daddy runs off too. After that, it's just her and her baby boy, but she later meets up with Mitchi again and they're reunited. Two against the world. Though its kepy ambigous if Mitchi got let out of prison or escaped again. I admit, the only reason I care about the show is the unique aesthetics and settings. Plus, I care about Hatchen. Mitchi is okay, but I do find aggravating as the series goes on, but I would still take in a heartbeat over characters like Revy, Asuka Langely, or any other asshole who make nothing, but nihilistic rants or are just bratty bitches for little justifications, and we're supposed to feel sympathy over their precious pride.
Asuka’s family name is Soryu, not Langley. Langley is her middle name.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Recently started on Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water. Although I'm only 13 episodes in, it's a fun enough anime thusfar.

Screw all that modern bullshit.

R-10647784-1504187456-9478.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Piscian

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

View attachment 3404
Its actually almost too easy to find really good anime nowadays, to the point that it almost makes it harder since there is so much good content that nothing can really become a classic like it could back then. There is Mob Psyho 100 which is amazing, Land of the Lustrous which is also amazing, Made in Abyss again amazing, Keep your Hands off Eizouken amazing. Those are just a few that come to mind when I think about similar quality to Cowboy Bebop.

Lets see. Started watching RE: Zero its an interesting setup but so far the main character is really annoying... well, he goes between really annoying and not annoying, I'm hoping they managed to land on the not annoying part.

Watched what is available of Cells at Work Black. Its still a really fascinating show but they made some really weird design choices that reek of the manga getting stuck with a mature rating so they said fuck it.

Finished A Certain Scientific Accelerator. Its... ok, not as good as Railgun, Accelerator is fine but the plot is just meh and the necromancer girl they have manages to be super boring and super anime damsel and just blegh. She doesn't have to be an ass kicker but she's a necromancer who doesn't do anything. I think I already posted about this but whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay so a friend of mine, who is a weeb pure and simple, sent me some YouTube clips of something called HoloLive and wow is it disturbing. Basically its anime camgirls. Its actresses who do live streams in character as OC anime girls and have those avatars super imposed, and its really creepy. Not in terms of uncanny valley shit, but in lewd/sexual content that somehow gets targeted at children and gets a pass on YouTube.
Like they're not playing porn games or doing directly dirty stuff, but its a lot like JAV that its mostly about the soundtrack and the noise they make rather than seeing anything. So you have these girls playing like Minecraft and moaning and groaning and barking like a dog, all the while teasing the live chat to no please Senpai-Chan, don't clip this and post it for Rule34 creators, no teeheehee.
And with a handful of 34DDD exceptions there's all loli characters, but that new appeal to Western censors version where no she's not a child, she's a magical dragon who is 109 years old, she just so happens to be reincarnated as a 9 year old girl, so its not weird or creepy at all when she moans into her microphone for chat.
One of the characters he sent me was this like new super popular shark character named Gura, who is, you guessed it, a 109 year old magic shark who just so happens to have the body of a 9 year old little girl. And here she is playing some Wii Fit game or something, and because all we see are the cartoon avatar and the game screen its just listening to a 9 year old loli character panting and breathing rapidly and gasping like she's getting pounded out like a mallard duck while the chat goes crazy posting "10 more seconds!" and "Keep going keep going!" because they really care about her cardio and they're all totally not jacking off.
And its just super creepy. And I'm sure some people are really sweet and innocent and just think its cute characters having wacky hijinks, but its like K-Pop when you learn of all the abuse and rape and how producers treat the female stars as high class prostitutes, suddenly the whole thing feels very few uncomfortable and icky and someone should probably look into this because men who really shouldn't be are getting off to this.