National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Apparently the officer has been charged with Third Degree murder. Third Degree murder is an offence in Minnesota which covers unlawful killings committed by individuals who did not intend to cause death but were nonetheless performing an act eminently dangerous to others, without regard to human life. It carries a maximum sentence of 25 years of imprisonment in Minnesota.
Good. Stands a good chance of conviction. First or second degree would be impossible to prove.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
If anyone wanted to see the definition of 'Lawful Stupid':
Apparently, there was a different CNN crew in the area, that didn't get this treatment. 10 points for guessing what was the difference.
HINT: It's what you probably think.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
What are people expecting that people be allowed to burn the place to the ground and everyone not try to stop that?
I think that expectation has proven to be quite justified when white people routinely descend into burning or looting because a sports team won/lost, all without teargas and rubber bullets being immediately deployed.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
If anyone wanted to see the definition of 'Lawful Stupid':
Apparently, there was a different CNN crew in the area, that didn't get this treatment. 10 points for guessing what was the difference.
HINT: It's what you probably think.
Is it because they didn't steal frozen chicken?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I think that expectation has proven to be quite justified when white people routinely descend into burning or looting because a sports team won/lost, all without teargas and rubber bullets being immediately deployed.
You have a point.

Though for a few Superbowls there has been larger police presence to stop that from what I've seen.

Also burning stuff and breaking it sure but I don't remember much Superbowl looting happening.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You have a point.

Though for a few Superbowls there has been larger police presence to stop that from what I've seen.

Also burning stuff and breaking it sure but I don't remember much Superbowl looting happening.
Along with murder of course.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'm sure that is how a certain amount of Americans want to handle everything, not their problem and they wish they didn't have to hear about it. But among people who care about the problems of others, this event has a pretty unanimous perspective. Like, I'm a conservative with a commute. Shapiro was on the radio yesterday afternoon and asks a guest their opinion of everything going on. And the guest, who I hear on conservative talk radio in rural Pennsylvania, responds he doesn't have time yet to care about anyone's response because he watched a man brutally killed by police on camera and isn't going to move past that right away to worry about the response. Not everyone everywhere is going to band together on anything, but some people from everywhere can band together on this. That cop should be convicted

I hope the people protesting do want to "follow that reign". That's the goal of an inclusive society, is it not? To include people in society? I'm sure you know, I'm a pretty big fan of society. People protesting their exclusion from the things that I love gets only respect and support from me. I hope that's what people protesting want. I don't believe the people protesting because they want reprieve from arbitrary violence committed against them are big fans of arbitrary violence done as response.

I also don't think it's reasonable to suggest that the majority of the populace have the power to do something about it, like you could just be rid of racism and prejudice if people wanted to. People want to be rid of all sorts of bad things: crimes and hatreds that are as old as human history, racism included. Doing something meaningful about that is a high ambition and an endless frustrating struggle. Like medicine to fight disease or police to investigate crime, we don't want bad things to happen, but you never win for good. If you count every incident of racism as a systemic problem rather than slipping through the efforts to stop them, and decide to throw away the system, more people will be hurt, not fewer.
And I hope you understand me. Often when I speak about Republicans, Fiscal Republicans, and 'The Cult', I do so with the express meaning of separating the three. I mention the Cult exclusively when I'm talking about those who follow Donald Trump around like he's the literal Messiah. I mention Republicans for a catch all phrase that merely deals with the mindset and policies, not the stereotypes. And I mention Fiscal Republicans who are the progressive version of the Republicans, who just have strong views about how we should spend our money and how we don't need a big government.

I don't believe all conservatives are jumping up and down with glee because pain befell a black man. I don't even believe 95% are happy. I believe there are a small faction who are genuinely happy that a minority man was killed, but those people have biases as is.

I do believe a much more significant number of Republicans and Democrats barely care what happens three steps beyond their door.

I talk to my conservative friends all the time. I just got off of a Zoom with two of my friends who are getting married. The future husband is conversative, the future wife is leaning that way more. And they are heartbroken about this. Please believe me, I do not believe Republicans live without a heart and/or consciousness. I could not in good faith even begin to say that when I've first-hand seen the kindness that Conservative people in my life freely give.

Like, and I mean this, you and I had our differences in the past. And I reacted to it. You tried to keep the avenue of speaking open, and I sat in my feelings. It took a lot of issues in my life, lurking at this forum for a bit, and then reading some of the stuff you post. And we might not see eye to eye on how to do things, but I legitimately believe you're trying with all you have to do your best for yourself and others. Intentions must be weighed. I can't fully say that people should be able to be different and not be able to deal with someone being different in a way that I can't deal with. I apologize for how I've acted in the past. I can't ask for forgiveness, but I can promise to do better.

And to your last issue, this is a perfect example of where I don't think we see eye to eye. I think it's more than reasonable to suggest that the majority of the populace have the power to do something about this. These are public servants. They can only get away with what we allow. And we allow this. We allow it when we stop watching the NFL in droves because how DARE politics get in the way of us seeing these historically marginalized people give each other CTEs?! When the 'audacity' of a person (or a dozen) using his platform to decry abuse, beatings, and murders is more important than the... well, the abuse, the beatings, and the murders, that's a clear message.

You can do whatever you want. Not enough people care.

And people say there's always a time and place. People have sat patiently under the heel of the boot for generations. And sadly, this is actually becoming literal.

When will be the time? When will be the place? What more can be a rallying cause than the evidence we've seen recently? Because it happens way too often to be the one offs and the exceptions that people want to paint them as.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
As some-one brought it up.

As much as I think the anti-lockdown protester were morons there was little to no incidents at the protests.

No-one started shit.

There was at worst the odd heated exchange of words.

In this case the protest seemingly descended into rioting within about 3 hours of them starting.
There's a pretty wide fucking difference in the legitimacy of the complaints.

What are people expecting that people be allowed to burn the place to the ground and everyone not try to stop that?
That precinct deserves worse.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Assuming this is recent (I have no reason to believe it is not but you never know on The Internet Dot Com) but this could get interesting if the police play this poorly

(Minneapolis and St Paul are 11 minutes away from the start of curfew)

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
As some-one brought it up.

As much as I think the anti-lockdown protester were morons there was little to no incidents at the protests.

No-one started shit.

There was at worst the odd heated exchange of words.

In this case the protest seemingly descended into rioting within about 3 hours of them starting.

Except cases where Body Cameras are being involved have been getting called a problem because police are allowed to re review the footage which means it's harder for people to get off by using technicalities about discrepancies in testimony

Also again they have specific demands which you laid out and the question would be if they'd accept Hillary's alternative solutions because they don't match up with the actual demands here.
Anti-lockdown protesters stormed a government building with guns. They just happened to be white.

Reactions: Sneed's SeednFeed

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yes there's also a wide difference in actions.
Whose actions?

Because the biggest difference in actions I see as an outsider (and as someone who has been involved in protests) is the police response. Lockdown protesters were, in many cases, clearly provocative. They forced their way into public buildings with firearms. They abused and shouted at police, waved firearms at police. Even leaving aside the risk posed by all the guns and the clear threat to political figures, they were putting the lives of police officers at risk during a viral pandemic. Yet the police didn't attempt to disperse them or even significantly impede them. No teargas, no rubber bullets. No gasmasks. No tactical gear. No submachine guns. No kettling or indiscriminate arrests, and very few mass arrests at all. In many cases, no cordons.

Can you imagine what would have happened if police had fired rubber bullets at those guys in body armour and automatic rifles? Do you think their "actions" would have remained the same under those conditions? What if they had been barred from entering the public buildings they wanted to enter by armed police. Would they have reacted the same way? What if they had been hit with teargas. Would they have reacted the same way?

Police have a choice about how to react to and deal with protests, and have to weigh up what the best way of dealing with a situation is. Going in to try and disperse a protest with teargas and rubber bullets generally doesn't happen firstly because it's dangerous, these things can kill or seriously injure people, and secondly because of the high likelihood of retaliation. Protesters are generally angry and want a chance to make their voices heard, a heavy handed police response can stoke that anger and elicit a violent response. Sometimes it's better to let people break a few windows than to go in hard and end up in a warzone. After all, the windows are insured, the lives of protesters are not.

What's noticeable when you compare this case with the lockdown protest is that, In this case, police aren't even trying. It's almost like they have absolutely no interest in deescalating or avoiding violence..

Putting the emphasis on protesters to avoid violent confrontations with the police is backwards. Protesters aren't professionals. Police supposedly are professionals. Their job is to manage situations like this, and they are being bad at it on purpose.

Last edited:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Some footage from Louisville
I haven't been paying attention to things outside of Minnesota (for what I would imagine is obvious reasons) so color me surprised when I saw that there are a LOT of these protests going on around the entire damn country. I saw Kentucky (your clip), New York, California, and Washington for sure on the list. I'm sure there are others too but those look to be some of the bigger ones (or at least the ones I'm seeing on my Twitter run).

Shit's gettin super spicy out there for everyone

But this is all a perfect storm of problems. COVID has decimated a LOT of people, primarily those who are on the lower wage scales (who also happen to be minorities a lot of the time). You now have a lot of desperate people with nothing to lose. Then a video of such a gross misuse of police power that Fox News and other Right Wing groups can't even find a way to defend it. COVID has been a big powder keg just waiting for the match to fall...

Reactions: Revnak

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I haven't been paying attention to things outside of Minnesota (for what I would imagine is obvious reasons) so color me surprised when I saw that there are a LOT of these protests going on around the entire damn country. I saw Kentucky (your clip), New York, California, and Washington for sure on the list. I'm sure there are others too but those look to be some of the bigger ones (or at least the ones I'm seeing on my Twitter run).

Shit's gettin super spicy out there for everyone

But this is all a perfect storm of problems. COVID has decimated a LOT of people, primarily those who are on the lower wage scales (who also happen to be minorities a lot of the time). You now have a lot of desperate people with nothing to lose. Then a video of such a gross misuse of police power that Fox News and other Right Wing groups can't even find a way to defend it. COVID has been a big powder keg just waiting for the match to fall...
Honestly, this is a solid explanation. We’re rapidly approaching 30% unemployment in a country that’s suffered from wage stagnation for decades and under employment for a decade. Nowhere near enough was done to resolve that, period. Combine that with this country’s typical dull roar of racial oppression and the stress of an election year and people are just fucking nuts.
Edit- Speaking of New York

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.