Tho link for timed stamp of personal fave waffle

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In the case of Rick and Morty, you have a lot of dumb and jackass people attached to the show. Granted, some seasons of the show didn't help themselves in that one, but you're always going to have idiots follow something or not pay attention.
I think in "Rick & Morty's" case, it's intelligently written in that Rick often goes on philosophical and existential diatribes that can easily sail over the head of the knuckle-dragging mongoloids who typically laughs at fart jokes. It's self-aware in the Rick knows he's the smartest guy in the room and simply tolerating the idiots around him... which is how a lot of smart people can feel sometimes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think in "Rick & Morty's" case, it's intelligently written in that Rick often goes on philosophical and existential diatribes that can easily sail over the head of the knuckle-dragging mongoloids who typically laughs at fart jokes. It's self-aware in the Rick knows he's the smartest guy in the room and simply tolerating the idiots around him... which is how a lot of smart people can feel sometimes.
It's part of the reason why I stopped watching the show. I just hate Rick and his attitude. Other than Ragyo and Omni Man, he is without a doubt one of the worst parents ever in animation history. Everything about him just pisses me off, and I'm misaimed fandom wasn't helping. It's kind of why I stopped watching after season 3. I did watch season 4, but not immediately. I waited till the season was nearly done and then I watched it, but it's wasn't enough to bring me back. Despite me liking something. I'm just sick of following jackasses as the protagonist(s). It can only be done so much before it gets annoying and boring. Especially if they're of the insufferable "genius" type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's part of the reason why I stopped watching the show. I just hate Rick and his attitude. Other than Ragyo and Omni Man, he is without a doubt one of the worst parents ever in animation history. Everything about him just pisses me off, and I'm missing phantom wasn't helping. It's kind of why I stopped watching after season 3. I did watch season 4, but not immediately. I waited till the season was nearly done and then I watched it, but it's wasn't enough to bring me back. Despite me liking something. I'm just sick of following jackasses as the protagonist(s). It can only be done so much before it gets annoying and boring. Especially if they're of the insufferable "genius" type.
To each their own, but Rick's attitude, for me, IS the humor. In more ways than one, he's a caricature of genius, and yet still finds himself in some of the most asinine situations. I don't need to "like" him as a person to find humor in his character; as absurdist humor, it's funny because he IS so unlikeable. Like, who says "fuck you" to their grandchild? It's funny BECAUSE it's so ridiculous.

Same reason I like It's Always Sunny; the gang isn't meant to be likeable; they're narcissists who constantly make terrible decisions that put them in compromising situations, but it's intelligently written enough, with just the right blend of cleverness and low-brow comedy, that it appeals to a lot of people. Waterboarding your own daughter in a urinal or getting accidentally hooked on crack in an attempt to scam government assistance? Yes, please; keep the insanity coming.

I know it's not for everyone. Some need to align or resonate with whomever they're supposed to "cheering for," but there are those like me are content to sit back and watch an amusing shit-show of inanity.

EDIT: It's actually why it took me so long to watch R&M. I saw ads for it and thought it was just a spoof on "Back to the Future," benevolent, genius grandfather figure and his anxiety-riddled grandson getting into interstellar hijinks, and felt "meh, doesn't sound interesting, just another cartoon." Then I actually watched it, and it was "woah, not what I was expecting at ALL... I like it."

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To each their own, but Rick's attitude, for me, IS the humor. In more ways than one, he's a caricature of genius, and yet still finds himself in some of the most asinine situations. I don't need to "like" him as a person to find humor in his character; as absurdist humor, it's funny because he IS so unlikeable. Like, who says "fuck you" to their grandchild? It's funny BECAUSE it's so ridiculous.

Same reason I like It's Always Sunny; the gang isn't meant to be likeable; they're narcissists who constantly make terrible decisions that put them in compromising situations, but it's intelligently written enough, with just the right blend of cleverness and low-brow comedy, that it appeals to a lot of people. Waterboarding your own daughter in a urinal or getting accidentally hooked on crack in an attempt to scam government assistance? Yes, please; keep the insanity coming.

I know it's not for everyone. Some need to align or resonate with whomever they're supposed to "cheering for," but there are those like me are content to sit back and watch an amusing shit-show of inanity.

EDIT: It's actually why it took me so long to watch R&M. I saw ads for it and thought it was just a spoof on "Back to the Future," benevolent, genius grandfather figure and his anxiety-riddled grandson getting into interstellar hijinks, and felt "meh, doesn't sound interesting, just another cartoon." Then I actually watched it, and it was "woah, not what I was expecting at ALL... I like it."
Yes, different strokes for different folks, but it still doesn't change the fact that at least in most of season two and the first half of season three, were either still supposed to feel somewhat sympathetic for Rick, or see him as the one with the point or in the right in many regards. The fact that certain episodes will bend over backwards to make right leave me even more frustrated. That bad parody of the Avengers being a big sore point. And keep in mind, I don't like everything Marvel either. Beth trying to be exactly like Rick for almost at whole season, definitely made me even more angry. I don't care if that was a point. I still wanted to knee bash her in the face rapidly and multiple times. I don't mind jerk characters, but there has to be limits.

One of my favorite shows are Panty & Stocking and Shinometa. The former has two characters that barely grow at all, but it's still hilarious. The latter actually has character growth, but it helps that most of the cast aren't that big of jerks to begin with (compared to Rick).

I've got kind of tired of absurdist humor around South Park's season in 2018. It's when I realize, that Matt and Trey can't even make reality absurd anymore seeing how absurd it is now. There might be a couple of shows now and then, but they can't be constantly relying on the jerk ass ball all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yes, different strokes are different folds, but I still doesn't change the fact that at least in most of season two and the first half of season three, were either still supposed to feel somewhat sympathetic for Rick, or see him as the one with the point or in the right in certain regards. The fact that certain episodes with bend over backwards to make right leave frustrated me. That bad parody of the Avengers being a big sore point. And keep in mind, I don't like everything Marvel either. Beth trying to be exactly like Rick for almost at whole season, definitely made me even more angry. I don't care if that was a point. I still wanted to knee bash her in the face rapidly and multiple times. I don't mind jerk characters, but there has to be limits.

One of my favorite shows are Panty & Stocking and Shinometa. The former has two characters that barely grow at all, but it's still hilarious. The latter actually has carried a growth, but it helps that most of the cast aren't that big of jerks to begin with (compared to Rick).

I've got kind of tired of absurdist humor around South Park's season in around 2018. It's when I realize, that Matt and Trey can't even make reality absurd anymore seeing how absurd it is now. There might be a couple of shows now then, but they can be constantly relying on the jerk ass ball all the time
And this is where I differ from a lot of people here. People talk in terms of seasons, how one half was better than another or how entire seasons fly in the face of a show's overall purity and intent, etc. Me? I take each episode, moment by moment, line by line; if I'm entertained overall, then it's a show which nets out as a good one to me. I don't over analyze or dive too deeply into where I personally feel writers went wrong; every series is going to have its high and low points, but particularly with humor, if I start psychoanalyzing how *I* think they should behave in accordance with the larger whole of what *I* think the writers should have done, then I've taken the fun out of it. But that's me.
Gonna be honest, thank you for finding that and being willing to share it, but I've no real interest in watching it right now. Maybe at some point, out of morbid curiosity. If I didn't overall enjoy the show, if something felt off to me and I was genuinely curious why, I might seek out someone else's subjective opinion and analysis, especially if they took 23 minutes out of their life to make a video about it, but as it stands IMHO, there's no "problem" with R&M worth my time to hear someone talk about. He probably makes some valid points, so I won't say he's wrong, especially without having watched it, just that his problem with the show isn't mine.

Reactions: happyninja42