Your Personal Greatest Games of All Times And/Or Personal Greatest in Specific Genre(s)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Sorry, no crank no survival horror. I don't make the rules.
Pfft. A crank? What sort of lowbrow, straightforward trash are you peddling? If you're not opening a bathroom stall using a chessboard puzzle where the moves reference the notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, you might as well just get a key like some normie pleb.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I'd say Doom 3 counts, and even then only just. Doom 1 & 2, 64, 2016 and Eternal don't count. They're action games with a horror aesthetic, but I'd say it's quite clear they're not trying to scare you.
Agreed on DOOM 3 being more closely designated as survival horror, but OTOH I’ve had as many jump scares and tension playing any of the DOOM’s as I’ve had playing any of the RE’s.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I made another list! This one focuses on my favorite types of games, ones that emphasize narrative experiences. Or stories.
Now when I think about games with stories I could be talking about the story of the whole game or just the experience of interactive narratives. Basically I'm ranking these by the ones where I enjoy and feel and care about what's happening plot-wise and to characters while I play, where it's a core part and appeal of the experience.

So it could be a game like Transistor where even though it's just combat and level traversal, I'm invested in what's going on enough to make me care (as opposed to a typical platformer or brawler where technically there's a plot but it's like whatever). Or it could be a game like Skyrim where sure I don't care about the main plot but I very much care about quests and individual stories. And then of course the best ones for me like Mass Effect and Witcher where it's both.

I maybe cheated by throwing some trilogies in there- Mass Effect, original God of War, Assassin's Creed: Ezio, Uncharted. Those are really all connected in my mind and I can't separate them.

Obviously it's a lot of crossover to my general all-time list with two big differences: no games from when I was a kid except Zelda and no FromSoftware. I just don't count "environment story-telling" as story-telling in this calculus. Consequently these are almost all games where characters actually talk! The ability to do traditional narrative with interactive with gameplay and make a greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts experience is what I'm going for here.

chart (1).png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I made another list! This one focuses on my favorite types of games, ones that emphasize narrative experiences. Or stories.
Now when I think about games with stories I could be talking about the story of the whole game or just the experience of interactive narratives. Basically I'm ranking these by the ones where I enjoy and feel and care about what's happening plot-wise and to characters while I play, where it's a core part and appeal of the experience.

So it could be a game like Transistor where even though it's just combat and level traversal, I'm invested in what's going on enough to make me care (as opposed to a typical platformer or brawler where technically there's a plot but it's like whatever). Or it could be a game like Skyrim where sure I don't care about the main plot but I very much care about quests and individual stories. And then of course the best ones for me like Mass Effect and Witcher where it's both.

I maybe cheated by throwing some trilogies in there- Mass Effect, original God of War, Assassin's Creed: Ezio, Uncharted. Those are really all connected in my mind and I can't separate them.

Obviously it's a lot of crossover to my general all-time list with two big differences: no games from when I was a kid except Zelda and no FromSoftware. I just don't count "environment story-telling" as story-telling in this calculus. Consequently these are almost all games where characters actually talk! The ability to do traditional narrative with interactive with gameplay and make a greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts experience is what I'm going for here.

View attachment 10342
For the record, you got Spider-Man on there twice.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
For the record, you got Spider-Man on there twice.
Woops... that's what I get for multi-tasking. I was going to put in Nier: Automata and was doin' stuff and forgot..

After all, any time a game gets me to play through it three times and sit through all the credits deserves to be on this list.

chart (2).png

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Interesting we have different SuperGiant games and you have the only one I didn't play. I think a bunch of yours would have also made mine if I was into those genres or would have played them back then like Silent Hill or Crysis. And I thought about putting Max Payne on mine because I did play one or two of those at some point. I guess kind of weird I didn't put an Arkham or, similarly, Shadow of.. game because I enjoyed them but on thinking about it, I don't remember the stories and I really did enjoy them for the combat and world not caring so much about the story. But then I was never so into Batman? But, man, the Dr Freeze set-up and battle would definitely qualify as an all time story-through-gameplay moment.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Hhm... Slay the Spire is truly a testament to how good design trumps how big your budget is. Hollow Knight most exemplifies the spirit of Metrovanias. Shadow of the Colossus exemplifies artistry in games. I'll need to think of more.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ah, a certain genre. Roguelikes. The Binding of Isaac, Monster Train, Slay the Spire, Revita, Astrea (Yes, I believe this relatively new game is on the same level), and Hades (I know many have problems with the game but I think it did an amazing job with its narrative in a genre that does not have many examples with much narrative).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
There's no way I have the time or desire to do a top 25 of all time list (unless I limit it to one game per IP), but this looked fun, so I've decided to do lists in certain genres.

Start with FPS:

chart-fps.png

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I did RPGs next. This was actually kind of astonishing - since my personal rule is that I have to complete a game to rank it (unless the game lacks a completion state), I've only played about 27 RPGs in my life, despite (generally) enjoying the genre.

Anyway, I'll let the list speak for itself, but I'll just clarify one thing - the entry for The Two Towers refers to the GBA version (an ARPG), not the console version (a hack n' slash). The site didn't have an image for the GBA game specifically.

RPGs.png