Your Personal Greatest Games of All Times And/Or Personal Greatest in Specific Genre(s)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No way is Doom survival horror, it's not even horror of any kind.
Tell that to 7-year old me back in 1997, and several hardcore Doom fans. There is a good reason why I put Doom 64 on the list. Sure, you may get more ammo than RE2 or RE3 combined, but it's nowhere near the amount you would get in Doom I & II. The game is strict with ammo, unless you know where all the secrets are. The darker, oppressive, and more hellish atmosphere. The demons look more sinister than their PC counterparts. The gameplay is slower pace and more methodical compared to its prequels, and there is a good reason why Doom 64 is called the true Doom 3 compared to the officially labeled Doom 3. Only for Doom 64 to become the true Doom 3 in canon. The music is scary, unnerving, and gets into your skin and will psyche you out on your first playthrough. It's a fucking survial horror in my book and for several others.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Tell that to 7-year old me back in 1997, and several hardcore Doom fans. There is a good reason why I put Doom 64 on the list. Sure, you may get more ammo than RE2 or RE3 combined, but it's nowhere near the amount you would get in Doom I & II. The game is strict with ammo, unless you know where all the secrets are. The darker, oppressive, and more hellish atmosphere. The demons look more sinister than their PC counterparts. The gameplay is slower pace and more methodical compared to its prequels, and there is a good reason why Doom 64 is called the true Doom 3 compared to the officially labeled Doom 3. Only for Doom 64 to become the true Doom 3 in canon. The music is scary, unnerving, and gets into your skin and will psyche you out on your first playthrough. It's a fucking survial horror in my book and for several others.

Do you ever even use a crank handle at any point in the game?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do you ever even use a crank handle at any point in the game?
Key Cards or Skull Keys; that's it. And the many occasional traps that can insta-kill you, if you're not careful, or a beginner's trap on the first playthrough. You would know this, if you've played it. A crank does not make a survival horror. There is no fixed rule on that, and making it a high priority on the list is dumb, arbitrary, and "tradition" for the sake of it. Plenty of games on my list don't use cranks and doesn't make them any less survival horror. Get that shit outta here. My list, not yours; deal with it.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Key Cards or Skull Keys; that's it. And the many occasional traps that can insta-kill you, if you're not careful, or a beginner's trap on the first playthrough. You would know this, if you've played it. A crank does not make a survival horror. There is no fixed rule on that, and making it a high priority on the list is dumb, arbitrary, and "tradition" for the sake of it. Plenty of games on my list don't use cranks and doesn't make them any less survival horror. Get that shit outta here. My list, not yours; deal with it.
Sorry, no crank no survival horror. I don't make the rules.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Good, because I go by my own rules. Not some arbitrary measurement from the old school that not even Capcom follows to the letter anymore. I don't care for the "this is not a true survival horror, because X!". You got a list? Feel free to put it down anytime.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Good, because I go by my own rules. Not so arbitrary measurement from the old school that not even Capcom follows to the letter anymore. I don't care for the "this is not a true survival horror, because X!". You got a list? Feel free to put it down anytime.
It's people like you that rob the world of all order and meaning.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
games.png
Been a little while since I've done one of these. Really not much changed. I think a new one booted a Fire Emblem game, and I think Final Fantasy Tactics was on a top 25 at some point as was the original Syndicate. The Fire Emblem game (might have been Radiant Dawn) and Syndicate would go back on if there was a 1 game per franchise rule. As would Lucasarts Outlaws and maybe Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense or Rogue Trip.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Quick and sloppy tally, but these are the top 10 most liked games

Super Mario World​
6​
Half-Life 2​
5​
Shadow of the Colossus​
5​
Silent Hill 2​
5​
Bloodborne​
4​
Chrono Trigger​
4​
Final Fantasy 10​
4​
Hollow Knight​
4​
Okami​
4​
Resident Evil 4​
4​

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
lol. Maybe we should do a poll. As much as I avoid conflict my vote would go to No, Doom nor Splatterhouse are survival horror. That said I want my vote explicitly be construed as a vote and not an opinion. Like I prefer Taco Johns, but I will eat Taco bell if it means not delaying lunch.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
lol. Maybe we should do a poll. As much as I avoid conflict my vote would go to No, Doom nor Splatterhouse are survival horror. That said I want my vote explicitly be construed as a vote and not an opinion. Like I prefer Taco Johns, but I will eat Taco bell if it means not delaying lunch.
I'd say Doom 3 counts, and even then only just. Doom 1 & 2, 64, 2016 and Eternal don't count. They're action games with a horror aesthetic, but I'd say it's quite clear they're not trying to scare you.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'd say Doom 3 counts, and even then only just. Doom 1 & 2, 64, 2016 and Eternal don't count. They're action games with a horror aesthetic, but I'd say it's quite clear they're not trying to scare you.
Good point, DOOM 3 is definitely Survival Horror. Its actually one of the reasons its my favorite DOOM.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, Doom nor Splatterhouse are survival horror.
Like I said before, I don't go by archaic standards, nor arbitrary measurements. Splatterhouse 3 counts as a survival horror in my opinion. When you're on a strict time limit to save your wife and son, and not get the bad ending or worse by the end of the game, it counts for me. You can feel the pain in those bad endings; especially when you lose both Jennifer and David.

Doom 64 is on my list for a specific reason as I mentioned already. Do note that I never put any of the other ones on there.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd say Doom 3 counts, and even then only just. Doom 1 & 2, 64, 2016 and Eternal don't count.
Both Doom 3 and Doom 64 count. Doom 64 was doing what Doom 3 did before Doom 3 even became a concept. Because Doom 64 is the real Doom 3, and not an alternate universe. Unlike the officially labeled Doom 3. The original Doom 3 is slower paced compared to Doom 64, but doing Doom 64 is no slouch in this either. I actually find Doom 64 more scary than Doom 3. The atmosphere and coloring especially. Doom 3 is a good game, but the constant jump scare do nothing for me, and it's just taking from System Shock. There are reasons why I have 64 on the list.

I'm not going to go back and forth on this, but I already listed everything on the previous posts. If you all feel differently, then put whatever on your survival horror list.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not going to go back and forth on this, but I already listed everything on the y. If you all feel differently, then put whatever on your survival horror list.
Don't think I'd have enough to make a full horror 25. But I think the first three Silent Hills, REmake, Resident Evil 3, Alien Isolation, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Dead Space 1 and 2, Alan Wake 2, the first FEAR, and SOMA would be on there. And PT if it counts.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't think I'd have enough to make a full horror 25. But I think the first three Silent Hills, REmake, Resident Evil 3, Alien Isolation, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Dead Space 1 and 2, Alan Wake 2, the first FEAR, and SOMA would be on there. And PT if it counts.
And that all counts. For some people though, FEAR 1 only counts as survival horror, if you're playing on the near hardest or hardest difficulty. You throw in Extraction Point you got yourself a deal.

Also, you don't have to make it a top 25. I said y'all can do whatever you want and it still applies.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Ok, this one was difficult, finding 25 that I would consider good, but I had to try.
Dawn of war 2 I think is different enough from 1 to count as a different game, but otherwise series's and expansions aren't counted separately, I just put the best game in the series.
chart (1).png

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan