Your Personal Greatest Games of All Times And/Or Personal Greatest in Specific Genre(s)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Did one for strategy games, and again, struggled to make it to 25. In case you're wondering, the reason why The Third Age is again on this list is that it's referring to the GBA version (a turn-based tactics game) rather than the console version (an RPG game). Confused? Afraid that's the way the cookie crumbles, and again, the site doesn't have an image for the GBA version, only the console version.

Strategy.png

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Did one for platformers. Lots of Sonic games here. Maybe I could do a list for that...

Also, when I listed Sonic 4, that's taking all 3 episodes as one game.

Platformers.png

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And last list, best 25 stories.

More than anything, you should take this with a grain of salt, as this was a nightmare to rank. Thing is, when I say "story," I'm thinking of the sum total of the elements of a story (plot, characters, storytelling, worldbuilding, themes). So, Game A might have great characters, Game B might have great themes, etc.). This is really my attempt at aggregating everything, but it's really an impossible task. Ranking stories in a series? Sure. Ranking the best 25 stories I've ever played? Much, much harder.

Stories.png

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And last list, best 25 stories.

More than anything, you should take this with a grain of salt, as this was a nightmare to rank. Thing is, when I say "story," I'm thinking of the sum total of the elements of a story (plot, characters, storytelling, worldbuilding, themes). So, Game A might have great characters, Game B might have great themes, etc.). This is really my attempt at aggregating everything, but it's really an impossible task. Ranking stories in a series? Sure. Ranking the best 25 stories I've ever played? Much, much harder.

View attachment 10411
What makes the Unreal Engine version of OoT better than other versions?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
What makes the Unreal Engine version of OoT better than other versions?
That's a case of me not really thinking things through. Just chose the image semi-randomly, but also in part because in a list based on story, choosing an image of Link (given the game's themes) is a good fit.

Hey @Hawki, thank for the lists. How have you've been?
Not good, to be honest. Drath already knows this, but I won't be on this site nearly as much as I was in the past, least for the immediate future.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not good, to be honest. Drath already knows this, but I won't be on this site nearly as much as I was in the past, least for the immediate future.
Sorry about that. If it's something private or personal, I pray for things to get better. I do know a lot of us don't come here as much now, either due to work, life, or because many of the people we want watch moved on to Second Movie. If this forum ever goes completely down, you'll find me and a few others on Space Battles.

Reactions: Satinavian

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Worgen, @Old_Hunter_77, and @hanselthecaretaker2? Check these out...

Note* - For the 3D Brawlers list, I included Tekken 3, 4, and 6 for their Tekken Force Beat'em Up Modes. The same applies for Yaiba's Z Arcade Mode and Streetwise's Arcade Bonus Mode. Not the main campaign; it's pretty mediocre.

EDIT: I forgot about Sifu and Evil West, so I had to make some adjustments.

chart (12).png
chart (7).png

chart (8).png

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not gonna commit to any overall "greatest games of all time" because there are so many individual aspects to almost every game that it's very hard to really rate them as the whole package. But there are a few games that I think of as "near perfect action games" that I find mechanically so compelling that I keep coming back to playing them or at least replaying parts of them pretty much regardless from their plot or presentation.

Resident Evil 4 is one of them. Both versions. It, along with the two Max Payne games, pretty much defined what Third Person Shooters are supposed to play like. Even though they obviously play quite differently. But between the core gameplay, the individual encounters and level design and it's pacing it's just a game where you hardly ever spend much time doing things that aren't fun. And most of them are fun, no matter how often you play them, even more when you vary up your arsenal a bit.

Bayonetta is another game that I basically keep installed because I regularly feel like playing a level or two. It's just a good combat system. I don't know. Whenever I haven't played it for a while, I come back to it and I'm surprised just how good it feels to control. And I think most of the levels and bossfights are individually fun to play. I mean, I don't care for the gimmicky bike and shoot em up sections (They aren't even bad, they just outstay their welcome) or the QTE's or the platforming, but the regular gameplay just always feels satisfying.

FEAR is another one. It's widely considered one of the best first person shooters which is interesting, because a lot of its individual aspects aren't even that good. The gunplay isn't all that tactile and there are no iron sights, there's way to much visual noise when you use bullet time, but the AI, the encounter design and the gore do all the heavy lifting. There was an indie shooter released last year called Trepang2 which did its best to replicate FEAR's combat (with some elements from Crysis) but it just didn't get there because it didn't grasp what made the leveldesign in FEAR 1 work. And this is a tangent, but it's my issue with a lot of recent shooters, especially the new Doom games. The overreliance on clearly defined combat arenas. And the new Doom games are built around it but it doesn't gel at all with FEAR's combat. Most of the sets the encounters in FEAR took place in were pretty confined and the battles at fairly short range. Trepang2 went for wider arenas and... well, it didn't really work for that kind of gameplay. That's all I'm saying.

Last of Us 2 is the last one that come to mind. Which might just be my favourite Third Person Shooter and might be the only one that I enjoy more than RE4. If course it also builds on that game in a lot of respects, I mean fairly late in the game you fight what's basically a Resident Evil boss. But the combat in it just feels so good. It has all those super weighty animations and super detailled gore along with fairly open battlefields and extremely reactive enemies. It's the encounter with human enemies more than the one with zombies, but it's amazing how you can set traps, wound them in different ways with different weapons, they'll react dynamically searching for the player or keeping close together when they're being stealthy, there's a lot of super fluid transitions between crawling, crouching, melee and gunplay. And again, gore and dynamic enemy injuries are just some of the best I've seen. The combat encounters are super tense and super brutal, especially on higher difficulties when you have to play it as more of a stealth game. It's definitely a game where you replay individual segments, rather than the whole game, considering it has a lot of slow, uneventful narrative stuff between sone of them but every single action sequence goes incredibly hard, and there are a lot of them.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@Worgen, @Old_Hunter_77, and @hanselthecaretaker2? Check these out...

Note* - For the 3D Brawlers list, I included Tekken 3, 4, and 6 for their Tekken Force Beat'em Up Modes. The same applies for Yaiba's Z Arcade Mode and Streetwise's Arcade Bonus Mode. Not the main campaigns for either; both are pretty mediocre.
Is Tekken a "brawler" or "fighting game?"
At the risk of being a pedant, the way I see it is that brawlers' main focus is PvE, a player fighting swarms of NPC enemies, while fighting games' focus is PvP 1:1 competitive matches between players. While, yes of course a brawler might have co-op options, they are playable fully alone. And fighting games come with campaigns but really the point is to challenge other humans.

While I'm not usually that into labels and genres, in this case it's a worthy distinction for me because I would be interested in checking out a nice brawler as you know we've been talking about it but I have not interest in playing others.

I don't recognize most of these though, I know you posted about some so as I dig into these I'll remember I'm sure, and I do remember you already recommending me some brawlers so I'll probably watch me some trailers today.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is Tekken a "brawler" or "fighting game?"
At the risk of being a pedant, the way I see it is that brawlers' main focus is PvE, a player fighting swarms of NPC enemies, while fighting games' focus is PvP 1:1 competitive matches between players. While, yes of course a brawler might have co-op options, they are playable fully alone. And fighting games come with campaigns but really the point is to challenge other humans.

While I'm not usually that into labels and genres, in this case it's a worthy distinction for me because I would be interested in checking out a nice brawler as you know we've been talking about it but I have not interest in playing others.

I don't recognize most of these though, I know you posted about some so as I dig into these I'll remember I'm sure, and I do remember you already recommending me some brawlers so I'll probably watch me some trailers today.
The Tekken franchise is a one-on-one fighting game, but starting with the third game, almost each entry has a beat'em up bonus mode where you can select any character and run through about four or five stages. Tekken 6 even allowed for co-op. Tekken 5 you can only play as Jin though, if you were playing the Dark Resurrection for whatever reason, and Tekken 7 lacks the mode entirely. Tekken 8 is rumored and has been leaked that it will feature this mode in some form. Looking like a Dynasty Warriors style game of sorts.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
chart (17).png
  • #21 is the G.G. (Game Gear) Shinobi
  • #22 is Ninja Gaiden (NES)
  • #23 is Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)
  • #24 is The Ninja Warriors Arcade
  • #17 Shadow Dancer is the Genesis port.​

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
In no particular order, from the games that I have rated 5* or (a very high) 4* over the last few years.

chart (1).png

Though there are still a lot of recent and really popular games that I have yet to touch (namely, Baldurs Gate 3 / basically any Soulslike)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In no particular order.

EDIT: I should mention that my personal qualifier for “greatest” are games I spent the most time with, most enjoyed playing, and/or most fondly remember. There are certainly more than 25 I could put on this list, but were you to drop me off on a deserted island with these 25 titles and the requisite hardware to play them, I’d be more than content for quite a while.

1710334810377.png

Last edited: