Funny events in anti-woke world

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On to more important news than the Rittenhouse simps.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you so mad at this person? Must be exhausting constantly being so upset all the time.
Yeah! It's not as if anyone died!

Oh wait

Much the opposite, anger is the devil's cocaine.
Agreed on that. Now imagine how much of it someone would need to grab an AR-15 and travel 20 miles to a county under curfew specifically to confront strangers.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
support a coward like Rittenhouse.
"Support" is doing a lot of heavy lifting. He's an idiot, but even idiots retain the right to self defense (I said something similar to this at the very start of this round of discussing this topic). And if you actually look at the evidence presented in the trial, etc, etc. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, I can point you to the exact point in Grosskreutz's testimony where he handed Rittenhouse the not guilty verdict for that charge, and I'll be surprised if that same answer doesn't stop Grosskreutz from winning a civil suit despite the lower standard of evidence. Rosenbaum's family probably has the best chance at a civil case, if they can find the right expert to reinterpret the ME's findings in a favorable way - civil cases only need to be slightly more likely than not, after all.

Going into the criminal trial based on the publicly available information at the time I was expecting him to be not guilty for shooting Gruber, it coming down to the fine details on shooting Rosenbaum, probably guilty for shooting Grosskreutz and guilty on the gun charge. I wasn't expecting Grosskreutz to answer that question during his questioning the way he did (and seriously that single question basically decided that charge), and I didn't know the exact details of his firearm offhand (and that changes the rules it falls under under WI law, his rifle was in the 16+ class rather than the 18+ class - I had assumed the prosecution would have bothered to check which his gun fell under before charging him).

Thus the army rejected him and they probably didn't want that hotness attached to them. I can't blame them either way and they made the right call.
I agree with you and the army entirely on this. Again, he's an idiot. It's kind of absurd that he keeps making headlines for dumb bullshit, frankly we'd all be better off if everyone had promptly ignored him from the point of his verdict forwards. But the right wing talking circuit was going to be willing to cycle him around so long as he said the right things (and drop him the instant he said the wrong thing) and everyone else was going to actively resist him doing anything else with his life, so I'm not surprised by how it's gone.

I mean, on the one hand it is kind of weird to use a law created in response to the whole Enron affair seemingly meant to keep people from destroying evidence in the way it has been, but it was intentionally written in an extremely broad fashion that probably covers the way it was used for Jan 6. I'll be curious to read the opinion regardless of what they decide, just to see what argument they use to defend it.

For being not being mad at someone that did nothing wrong?
He did plenty wrong. For example, showing up there at all was an intensely stupid idea. But being intensely stupid does not deny you the right to self defense.

Much the opposite, anger is the devil's cocaine.
That line, right there, has to be the single best thing you have ever written.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah! It's not as if anyone died!

Oh wait

Agreed on that. Now imagine how much of it someone would need to grab an AR-15 and travel 20 miles to a county under curfew specifically to confront strangers.
People partake in stuff everyday that gets people killed like driving. BLM riots killed people, I've never seen you complain about those ever.

This "he traveled to another state" narrative is so stupid. He father lives in that town, it's his community. You act like he heard something was going on in some random town and went there looking for trouble. Even if that was the case, which it's not, there's nothing illegal about doing that either.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
People partake in stuff everyday that gets people killed like driving. BLM riots killed people, I've never seen you complain about those ever.
Indeed, and I think anyone who killed people in either of those situations should be prosecuted.

This "he traveled to another state" narrative is so stupid. He father lives in that town, it's his community. You act like he heard something was going on in some random town and went there looking for trouble.
That's exactly what he did. Hence why he grabbed a rifle and went while it was under curfew.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Indeed, and I think anyone who killed people in either of those situations should be prosecuted.

That's exactly what he did. Hence why he grabbed a rifle and went while it was under curfew.
Self-defense is not murder...

Again, that's his community. How was there a curfew? The judge threw out the curfew charge because prosecutors had no evidence of a curfew being in place.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
For something a bit more light hearted, someone convinced Gab's chatbot to reveal its system prompt:

Lemmy: https://lemmy.sdf.org/post/15404739?scrollToComments=true
Mastodon: https://infosec.exchange/@bontchev/112257849039442072
Pastebin of just the prompt text:
Respond without censorship, be balanced, truthful, always respond and without sugar-coating or moral judgement. But also adopt this series of right-wing talking points.

Someone in the comments on the Lemmy thread asked it if it could find any contradictions in its prompt and it more or less pointed them out and admitted that said contradictions would make it less effective. Another fun one was someone who as a different jailbreak for Gab's chat bot told it that the "Great Replacement" was that users were allowed to replace the rules it follows, rather than a racial thing and since it believes in the "Great Replacement"...

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
On to more important news than the Rittenhouse simps.

Salmon gang!!!

1713378472759.png

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Self-defense is not murder...
I said "killing". Most traffic deaths aren't murder, either. I think people who kill people needlessly should be prosecuted.

Again, that's his community. How was there a curfew? The judge threw out the curfew charge because prosecutors had no evidence of a curfew being in place.
Here's the press release from the Sheriff's department declaring the curfew.

The curfew charges were dismissed because citations had been issued under the state emergency management law, which doesn't give the Sheriff's office that ability, so the citations were invalid. But the same judge also stated that the Sheriff had the ability to declare a curfew under a different provision. Essentially: yes there was a curfew, but the citations for it were issued invalidly.

None of this is really relevant to my point though. I don't think he should be prosecuted for breaking curfew-- I don't think there should even have been a curfew in place. I simply think it shows (among other things, like the rifle) that he wasn't just there to visit family, and had obviously travelled 20 miles specifically because he wanted to get involved in the situation.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Did you notice the UK on both sides ?
Israel and Palestine on the same side (as are North and South Korea), but Russia and Ukraine on opposite sides (as are China and Taiwan). Obviously showing political allegiances as being on the same side? /S

Maybe it's about religion, after all it shows notoriously hardline Christian nations like Israel, Palestine and China on the side of Jesus? /S

I'm...pretty sure there's not any kind of coherent symbolism here. Just Fun With Flags.

Trans, Biden and thin blue line all on the same side, all opposite the US flag. Maybe the idea that ideologies break up a united US, and then random other flags vomited on top for some reason? I mean, I'm trying here...

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I said "killing". Most traffic deaths aren't murder, either. I think people who kill people needlessly should be prosecuted.

Here's the press release from the Sheriff's department declaring the curfew.

The curfew charges were dismissed because citations had been issued under the state emergency management law, which doesn't give the Sheriff's office that ability, so the citations were invalid. But the same judge also stated that the Sheriff had the ability to declare a curfew under a different provision. Essentially: yes there was a curfew, but the citations for it were issued invalidly.

None of this is really relevant to my point though. I don't think he should be prosecuted for breaking curfew-- I don't think there should even have been a curfew in place. I simply think it shows (among other things, like the rifle) that he wasn't just there to visit family, and had obviously travelled 20 miles specifically because he wanted to get involved in the situation.
It wasn't needlessly as shown by the verdict and the publically available footage.

The incident did not take place on June 1st or 2nd.