1 in 10 People Can't See in 3D, Says Eye Expert

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Is the study counting one eyed and blind people?

Wait - studies also show that 1 in 10 people are alcoholic, gay, left-handed, gluten-sensitive, and/or over 60.

I'd say 10% of humanity has some serious recessive gene issues. Not to mention they'd wish society would be more and less permissive at the same time.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, im one of them, and I know nothing can be done for mine...so, no 3D for me. Which I suppose saves me some money

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
my hubby can't use the 3d glasses as they give him migraines, and our local picture house is getting really lax about showing the 2d editions of films

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Well I could see Avatar, Up, and Toy Story 3 just fine in 3D, so here's hoping that at least extends to the 3DS.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Knew it, I'm among the 12-15%.

All the more reason I hope this 3D fad will die soon, or at least this "Real3D" variant of it.

Tich

Aug 13, 2008
I have a horizontal nystagmus, and for some reason also can't see the 3D effect. Never fo to 3D movies either.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
3D shouldn't be just an extra just because some people can't see it.
I mean, blind people can't see movies at all and need them described.
That's called a handicap option, and there is no reason 3D movies can't have one for those who cannot see 3D.
However, a minority of the population cannot control technological/entertainment trends just because it does not work for them.
As such, this should not be a worry at all.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
maxben said:
That's called a handicap option, and there is no reason 3D movies can't have one for those who cannot see 3D.
However, a minority of the population cannot control technological/entertainment trends just because it does not work for them.
Do you know what it's like not being able to see in 3d? Yeah, they have handicapped versions of movies for blind people, but when there are older people who can't see, and a portion of otherwise normal people who can't see in 3d, it becomes a bigger deal.

OT: I cannot see the stereoscopic 3d, I had a lazy eye, and as such, my eye is drifting back into the laze... I can sit there and try and watch a 3d movie, but then I dont really see the movie cause I'm trying to get the 3d to work.

I really hope games don't go completely 3d, or else I wont even be able to enjoy my hobby anymore... :(

Medallish

Jan 12, 2009
I saw Avatar and was impressed with it in "3D", and what I like about it is that although it does have 3D it didn't always throw things at you to show it. That said I don't see any reason to ghet a 3D monitor or TV but secretly I hope it becomes a great success, just so I can get myself a cheap full HD 42" LCD TV without 3D which I would be perfectly happy with.

But as I said I enjoyed seeing Avatar in 3D it did add a little extra to the experience, but my guess is also it had that little more because it was the first time I saw it this good, I remember those idiotic green and red glasses or whatever, never worked on me, the Stereoscopic glasses however works like a charm for me atleast. And I hope we might see some movies use this without the "omg I throw stuff at you!"-gimmick that we can enjoy in the theater.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
My eyes won't work properly unless I put a special lens contraption in front of my face - but I usually don't because I look more dashing without glasses. Anyway, when I see 3D movies there's always a slight but very noticeable bit of double-vision. Its very annoying, but not really enough to make me hate 3D or not see it. Maybe when I age and my eyes get inevitably work I won't be able to see the effect at all anymore. Ultimately though, only the movie "How to Train Your Dragon" really grabbed me with its 3D effects. Everything else was fine just in 2D.

And the worst part of the 3D is... THE RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE TICKET PRICES!! WALLET-MURDER!! WALLET-MURDER!!

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
So, 3D.

Things leap out of the screen. What a great innovation.

And what do we get for this massive "leap" forward? 12 in 100 can't see it, you have to wear stupid glasses AND the hardware is fucking expensive.

I really hope 3D fucks off soon.

hannardynamite

Jun 7, 2010
Avatar in 3D was horrible for me, my eyes kept just wanting to close. But it was the first film I saw in 3D and it was a late showing and I had my normal glasses on underneath the 3D ones. Hopefully it was just because I was tired. Seeing Toy Story 3 in 3D on Monday so I guess I'll know then if 3D is a chore for me as well.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not affected by 3D, but why did my head hurt when I looked at that picture? It was like a migraine decided to pop up at that exact second for Irony, when it is a 2D picture.

Calumon: It's a mystore...Misty...Really confusing thing!

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
So anyone else who can see 3d never going to jump on ship with it because the concept itself annoys them?

My virtual world and my real world must remain two separate entities (unless we get a .hack style of gaming)

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
well since I'm legally blind in one eye(It's just extremely blurry) and near sighted in the other, 3D to is just a total waste of time.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
FallenTraveler said:
maxben said:
Do you know what it's like not being able to see in 3d? Yeah, they have handicapped versions of movies for blind people, but when there are older people who can't see, and a portion of otherwise normal people who can't see in 3d, it becomes a bigger deal.

OT: I cannot see the stereoscopic 3d, I had a lazy eye, and as such, my eye is drifting back into the laze... I can sit there and try and watch a 3d movie, but then I dont really see the movie cause I'm trying to get the 3d to work.

I really hope games don't go completely 3d, or else I wont even be able to enjoy my hobby anymore... :(
I don't think it does. We have people who cannot see (including those who are colour blind), people who cannot hear, and people who cannot use a controller/keyboard+mouse because of a variety of physical handicaps.
Those who cannot see in 3D do not make a wave in the pool of handicaps, and it is by far the easiest group to create a handicap mode for (just take out the 3D).
You will be able to enjoy your hobby in 2D, but, frankly, you won't be able to enjoy it as much as those who can see in 3D.
Because, no offense, I don't want MY enjoyment to be affected by YOUR handicap.
So let's use the colour blind example, should all games be in black and white just because some people can't differentiate between certain colours?
Those who cannot see in 3D have a handicap that has not been too important to entertainment as colour has, but now things are changing and your handicap is coming to the surface.
You have every right to DEMAND a 2D version of everything, but not to argue that 3D gaming is bad or should not be created or even should not be found in the majority of games.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Rakkana said:
The old 3D messed with my eyes. The one with colored filters. And I couldn't see the 3D in that.

I don't have a problem with the new version though.
Like-wise

OT: i dont think this will effect people trying to sell it but it sure is going to put a dent in the sales. If the number is really that high then 3D TV and games will suffer greatly.