1 in 10 People Can't See in 3D, Says Eye Expert

Kedgeree

Jan 31, 2010
Hmm. I have had no problem when playing the Virtual Boy when I was 3-4... And yes, I had no headache at all when playing it for hours.

But I doubt that the numbers are actually 1 in 10 people... Would be pretty sucky to be that 1...

EDIT:: Trust me to misread the thread...

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
maxben said:
3D shouldn't be just an extra just because some people can't see it.
I mean, blind people can't see movies at all and need them described.
That's called a handicap option, and there is no reason 3D movies can't have one for those who cannot see 3D.
However, a minority of the population cannot control technological/entertainment trends just because it does not work for them.
As such, this should not be a worry at all.
12% is a pretty big percentage, much more than the percentage of blind people. If a movie is released in 3d only, they've effectively cut their potential attendance by that amount, not an insignificant problem for movies with such large budgets. There aren't many movie studios seriously willing to take a near guaranteed 12% cut in revenue on any film, so market forces may very well prevent 3d only from being the rule.

Personally, I have amblyopia, lazy eye to most, and am effectively blind in one eye. I don't see 3d in real life, the whole world looks like a movie to me. So, even 2d movies look pretty real, 3d would just be hard to see.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Sebenko said:
So, 3D.

Things leap out of the screen. What a great innovation.

And what do we get for this massive "leap" forward? 12 in 100 can't see it, you have to wear stupid glasses AND the hardware is fucking expensive.

I really hope 3D fucks off soon.
I strongly agree.

I have not botherd even trying to see 3D
But that is only because I still have a bunch of popup books at home.
I will certainly fall in line once they show me true 3D at a cost that makes anyone who buys it a sucker and a tool.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
i have an eye stigmatism where basically i can only see blurs out of my left eye so its my right eye that does all the seeing anyway so 3d wont work for me

Apr 28, 2008
Count me in that small percentage.

I seriously hate 3D. It gives me headches, hurts my eyes, and just makes watching a video uncomfortable.

Apr 28, 2008
hawkeye52 said:
i have an eye stigmatism where basically i can only see blurs out of my left eye so its my right eye that does all the seeing anyway so 3d wont work for me
This is exactly what I have. Word for word.

So yeah, I know how you feel. It sucks...

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I am sorely tempted to do a well-known racist joke on the title subject, but I don't think I need to anyway. We all probably know what it is already and too much risk of actually being taken seriously on it.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
I'm legally blind in my left eye and can't see in 3d (my depth perception is crap as well), and every time I've tried I've gotten a blistering headache within fifteen minutes.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I can see 3D fine enough, but I do get massive headaches after looking at it for a while. Thank god for the 3DS's slider.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
And this is why '3D' tech will not take off until holographic TV becomes the norm - 12% of people can't see it, and everyone else gets a chronic headache from it. Very "New wave" Sony. Next: TV that jams needles into your eyes.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I find it funny that something like 3D is being pushed. 12% of their market wont be able to see it, and even then, it seems a decent other percent get headaches after watching it. If someone made a non-3D game and it had statistics like that, it would get reworked so it didn't do that anymore, or it would get straight up canned.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Tharwen said:
Gah! It's not 3D! It's stereoscopy!

Some people are so very, very ignorant.
Well it's not like people are calling it stereocopy glassess and stereocopy movies now are they? Can't expect people to know the correct term if it's never mentioned.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Swifteye said:
Tharwen said:
Gah! It's not 3D! It's stereoscopy!

Some people are so very, very ignorant.
Well it's not like people are calling it stereocopy glassess and stereocopy movies now are they? Can't expect people to know the correct term if it's never mentioned.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm annoyed that the people trying to sell this technology have labelled it incorrectly. I'm not saying that they should be using slogans like 'stereoscopic TVs!' since that's obviously bad marketing, but they're being more than a little pretentious in using a term which should be reserved for when we develop true 3D projectors, otherwise they'll have to sell them as '4D' or something which would be retarded.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Glad to see that there are enough people like me that 3D doesn't work for to keep it from becoming too mainstream, I'd hate to give up my hobbies because I can't see what I'm doing.