10 Years After Antitrust Suit, Microsoft Up to Old Tricks

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I sure hope that making every even numbered windows release a steaming pile of ass doesn't turn into unofficial MS policy.

SoldierC4

Oct 8, 2008
Going to go ahead and agree with what everyone else is saying here. Long as I can install another browser, I don't mind leaving IE on. I actually have never uninstalled IE from my system for the same reason listed above. What happens if your main browser breaks.

I Don't really understand the concept behind why some people fret that it isn't uninstallable, it's not like they can actually make you use it. Just suck it up and let it take up that tiny chunk of data to store it; and DON'T say that your really need that space, that's a lie and you know it, 1+ Terabyte hard drives are getting really cheap.

Also I occasionally find websites that don't like Chrome, so I just fall back to IE to get what I need done.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Why does it matter that you can't delete it? That doesn't mean you have to use it, eh?

I have never deleted it, and I never use it (still using Firefox on XP here)... what's the problem? Is this 'Metro' interface the only way to use your computer??

EDIT: Actually, some gov banking sites require Explorer, and won't let you access them with Firefox.... huh. It's a good thing that it will be there if ya need it.
This. I'm browser agnostic, just have to see which comes out on top in the next round...

CarrieWhitaker

Oct 11, 2010
I generally use Chrome myself, since Firefox has a hideous problem on this laptop for some unknown reason, crashing if I have more than 10 or so tabs routinely.

That said, I use IE9 once in a blue moon, for a few sites that seem to work better with it. I have it open now, looking at Dell's site to ponder getting a better laptop. If I give this one to mother, after the Firefox wars and stability failures, I'll likely mostly let her use IE, since she's not used to Chrome.

Possibly.

MikeStyles27

Mar 14, 2010
I use Safari and Firefox exclusively, so not having the option of removing such an inferior browser is unwanted, but I'm not so worked up about it. Besides, I am certain someone will find a way to forcefully remove it.

Ultra Man30

Nov 20, 2009
I don't really care about this as I am still quite happy with XP. Plus you could just never use IE and get pretty much the same results as uninstalling it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You forgot to mention EU smacked them with a billion dollar fine on this browser business not too long ago.

And now not only are they going at it again but they are adding XBLA into the mix, they are just asking to get sued to shit.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
I'd care if I wasn't posting this from a box running Ubuntu.

Chances are the people who care enough about controlling their own computers have already stopped using Microsoft products anyway. I know I have. I'm very interested in finding out where the rest of you are going to finally draw the line; if you ever do.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
mjc0961 said:
What I don't understand is why it was a problem that IE was pre-installed in the first place. If IE isn't installed, what are we going to use to surf the internet so we can download a better browser and never touch IE again? Seems like a stupid thing to sue over really, and a stupid thing to get upset about now. Thank you, Microsoft, for including Internet Explorer with Windows so I can promptly download a better browser without hassle.
It was a big thing back in the day that browsers found it incredibly hard to gain traction to get to the point where people would say "But what would I use to download Firefox" What they actually came bundled with was a small program that said "You can download a browser, would you like to download IE, Firefox or Safari"

There was a period when you had nothing though and then it was a pain in the ass to download a browser. I think this might have been back when IE actually was the best browser, terrifying a thought as that may be.

As for this, honestly I've never considered uninstalling IE, it's there for when for whatever reason I'm not using Chrome or Firefox. It's always been a pita to get windows to default to using google and firefox, hopefully this will still be possible.

As for the interface looking like a phone I say bring it on, the current windows setup is frankly horrible while the iphone is a delight to use. Without a touch interface it may be a bit strange but I can't imagine it being worse.

Kestor

Apr 19, 2011
MisterColeman said:
I'd care if I wasn't posting this from a box running Ubuntu.

Chances are the people who care enough about controlling their own computers have already stopped using Microsoft products anyway. I know I have. I'm very interested in finding out where the rest of you are going to finally draw the line; if you ever do.
Indeed, the hypocrisy in these type of threads is very amusing. :)

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Its not like Windows 8 prevents you from using another browser. On all of the computers I have owned IE was only ever used for sites that required it, or to download chrome. I never remove it either, a waste of my time.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Sober Thal said:
Why does it matter that you can't delete it? That doesn't mean you have to use it, eh?

I have never deleted it, and I never use it (still using Firefox on XP here)... what's the problem? Is this 'Metro' interface the only way to use your computer??

EDIT: Actually, some gov banking sites require Explorer, and won't let you access them with Firefox.... huh. It's a good thing that it will be there if ya need it.
Pretty much all of this. Don't like, don't use. And sometimes when Firefox is an absolute piece of shit, I fall back to IE.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
gyroscopeboy said:
Whats the big deal? Safari ships with Mac OS X...everyone sued in the 90s
Exactly, along with iTunes, and whatever iLive is.
Why is Apple allowed to do that while Microsoft gets in trouble for disbling the removal of a vital OS component. For those that have no clue: The Metro Interface IS basically IE10, and pretty much everything Windows 7 does online (like Updates, native FTP and such) is done through whatever version of IE is installed, although the program window probably doesn't show up.

Also, IE9 is quite good, certainly more efficient that firefox.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I don't see how this is even news, considering how Apple is handling their platforms these days.

pliusmannn

Dec 4, 2008
Internet explorer is the best internet software to date capable to download firefox or opera, or any other, IE has it's use and it does it very well