101 ways to make a Hot Thread (Humor)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Top Ways to make a thread guaranteed to get tons of responses.

1. Make a thread relating to an Escapist Video immediately after the video comes out.

2. Don't feel the need to write more than a sentence or two in the Original Post. People don't like reading.

3. Rehash a thread from a few days earlier. Regular responses will be complimented by naysayers complaining that the thread was just done, leading to more hits.

4. CONTROVERSY! Nothing is more thought provoking than reading someones hilariously misguided and misinformed opinions on touchy subjects. Que debate and bashing.

5. Flame people in your Original Post. Perfect way to start a war.

Those are the first five I can think of. Add your own ideas, and see how many we can number off.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
6. Place your thread in the wrong section. No one goes to the Religion and Politics forum to actually discuss Religion and Politics; they want to be entertained by an iTunes-related forum game!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Mention FF.

Any FF.

Controversy follows as fans argue about each individual game.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
10. Make it a poll. Include no poll.
Hahahahaha. The oldest trick in the book. Also, the sure fire topic that will surely get a zillion posts is: "The last thing you ___ is now ____". God, do I hate those threads.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Put the word "anime" in the title. It'll attract about half the site.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Pararaptor said:
11. Make a "What is your avatar/username & why?" thread.

People love to talk about themselves.
Or better yet, say something about the user's avatar above yours. People love it even more when others are talking about them.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Spam your thread in other user groups that you're in saying to post in it even if that group is not interested in it. That'll get you attention for your thread.
[sub]This is a fun little game. Hope it isn't locked.[/sub]

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Hey, you laugh, but 3 and 4 really do work -- how do you think I got my hot topic badge? :p The trick is to write a controversial OP that is related to a recent topic, but not closely enough that it would be within the scope of the other thread.

OT:

12 (or is it 11? There was an unnumbered post): Make a topic about piracy. Sure you'll get modded (if you aren't careful) but it'll get plenty of hits...

Edit: In the time it took me to post that, there were two more unnumbered posts. Let's just call it "Number Fish"

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Mention piracy and give a strong stance on it.

PeePantz said:
Midnight Crossroads said:
10. Make it a poll. Include no poll.
Hahahahaha. The oldest trick in the book. Also, the sure fire topic that will surely get a zillion posts is: "The last thing you ___ is now ____". God, do I hate those threads.
I am so glad all of those are out of everyone's system.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Hey, you laugh, but 3 and 4 really do work -- how do you think I got my hot topic badge? :p The trick is to write a controversial OP that is related to a recent topic, but not closely enough that it would be within the scope of the other thread.

OT:

12 (or is it 11? There was an unnumbered post): Make a topic about piracy. Sure you'll get modded (if you aren't careful) but it'll get plenty of hits...
Yeah, this thread was a sort of tongue in cheek thing about how easy it is to predict popular threads. It can be funny AND true.

15. Favorites threads! Everyone gets to boast about their favorite thing, and then argue with others for liking different things!