Beamdog Boss Reveals More About Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Beamdog Boss Reveals More About Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Details about the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition are slowly bubbling to the surface.

Yesterday's announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116352-Atari-Reveals-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition] of the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was pretty much a gong show from the word "go." The reveal site crashed the moment the countdown timer hit zero, as we all knew it would, and when the official announcement did finally start making the rounds, it was nothing more than a title - Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition! - and a launch quarter of summer 2012. Oh, and a picture of Sarevok.

Fortunately, Trent Oster, the big hondo at BGEE studio Beamdog, has let a few more details slip by way of his personal Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster] account. It turns out that there will actually be two games, BGEE and BG2EE, also known as the Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition. The first game will include the original Baldur's Gate plus the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion; BG2EE will include Baldur's Gate 2 plus the Throne of Bhaal expansion. It's the whole shebang, in other words, plus new content including new characters with new voice actors.

But Oster also made it clear that all the important bits will remain untouched. All the original voice files are in the game, so everyone will sound like they're supposed to, and the game will be entirely isometric 2D. It will also continue to make use of the 2nd edition ruleset, as the original Baldur's Gate games did, and the music is being left as-is because it's already so epic.

A few other details of note: The game is being built on the "Infinity Advanced" engine based on the last Throne of Bhaal build, meaning that all the enhancements from that game will be included in this one. It will be a digital-only release through Beamdog, although the studio is "putting some thought into" a Steam release as well, and while it's currently a PC exclusive, Oster hinted that other platforms could be announced next week. The studio is "trying hard not to break mods" and at this point the save game formats are the same, so you might even be able to make use of those old saves you've kept lying around for the past decade. You still have those, right?

Imports from BG1 to BG2 will be supported, controllers will not be supported - this is mouse-and-keyboard only, as it should be - and if you want a truly authentic BioWare experience you can play with just the original content and ignore all the new stuff, although I think that'd be kind of silly. More details will presumably be forthcoming and Oster said some screenshots are on the way as well, hopefully next week, which I'm really looking forward to. We'll keep you posted!

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010

That is some good news I guess.
I guess its graphics getting tweaked will be nice.
I mean anything would be nicer than the graphics it does have right now.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
this has made me super duper happy as I was expecting way more alterations. If they even keep the saves compatible then that shows there they're trying, no?

Sep 14, 2009
hmm...i'll have to see more if i consider it a good or bad thing that they are trying to keep so many things similar to what the original games offered, because i don't want to pay AGAIN for something that i can get through mods for free.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
It doesn't sound like they're changing anything at all to be honest.

Quite disappointing.

All I want is for the first game to be much easier so I don't have a character die every 10 seconds in it.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Count me as disappointed, though still curious. This enhanced edition sounds like a set of mods...I'm looking forward to see a screenshot to see what all the fuss is about.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
AUGH THIS IS AWESOME!
Make multiplayer less of a chore!
AND THEN TAKE MY MONEY! Wooo!

*Ahem*....splendid.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
This is the epitome of a no-win situation: half are thrilled because they're not changing too much, half are disappointed because they're not changing enough.

I'm closer to the former than the latter. The inclusion of new material is pretty exciting, although I can't imagine giving up my party just to try new guys, and I'm thrilled that the music, isometric 2D graphics and voice files are remaining untouched. Oster did suggest that the interface might be modified or tweaked somehow, although I'm not sure if that's set in stone.

In other words, this really sounds like the real deal. Not sure if I'll go for it, but I'm definitely paying attention.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
You and me both,

Just grabbed this from the source code.

So mabye some new chapters? Could be really cool. Either way, I am on board.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Doesn't this sound like what mods out there do already? I don't think it warrants a new release (maybe I am wrong, though). I am also worried about the price: I wouldn't be willing to pay them more than the GOG version of the original games, frankly. I guess I'll have to wait to see how it turns out.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is very exciting! I can't wait to hear the battle cries on Minsc again, my particular favorite being, "Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!! "

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
If they actually manage to not break mods, that would be pretty insane. The fact that they are even trying speaks volumes about how much they care about what they are doing.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
mdqp said:
I am also worried about the price: I wouldn't be willing to pay them more than the GOG version of the original games, frankly. I guess I'll have to wait to see how it turns out.
Yeah, Im looking forward to the screenshots. If the new version is of a much higher standard then I may consider splashing out for the new version. Right now though I own both via GOG (and pretty sure I have the original discs from years ago kicking about somewhere) so if we're only talking a widescreen and resolution update then Ill pass.

Still, for those who haven't touched the BG series before then I guess this will be a good release. Considering the amount of people I've seen lately on Escapist who've somehow missed out, this is almost tailor made to capture them.

To those who haven't played it before... I envy you. You get the thrill of playing a genuinely great RPG for the first time. I remember installing BG2 for the first time and hearing that dramatic intro music, feeling my skin go all tingly as the drums and trumpets blared out while I made the character. Great stuff.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Surely they must release this with Steam! Just think how long it will stay as a best-seller and attract even more people :D

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
wonder if the beamdog release will be like gamersgate because i like their DRM way, as you dont need to be connected to the internet afterwards and isnt as fickle to get working as steam

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Azmael Silverlance said:
Surely they must release this with Steam! Just think how long it will stay as a best-seller and attract even more people :D
Exactly, if they release it on Steam, I will buy it, and I never played BG 1 or 2.

Moralio

Feb 2, 2012
If it will land on Steam then it is a must buy for me. Also I wonder if they will update BG1 with BG2's classes and races like Sorcerer.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Okay, they've sold me. They clearly understand why these games are as amazing as they are. And a Steam release would seal the deal.

My only concern is how they'll handle the UI. The UI for Baldur's gate isn't that good for the modern era, but it still has a very distinct and unique style and flair to it. If they re-create it, they need to make sure that they keep the style in-tact. Their website UI had me a bit worried, but they are a smaller team, hopefully they can show us actual pictures soon.

Kudos to them for trying to keep saves and mods in-tact, I do hope they can advance this beyond what the Tutu mod offers.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So... is it any better than the GOG release with it's fixes and restoration packs?, if not, I'll stick to the GOG release, if it does... then SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!