Tabula Rasa Shutting Down

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tabula Rasa Shutting Down

Hot on the heels of Richard Garriot's departure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87378-Richard-Garriott-Leaves-NCsoft ] from the Tabula Rasa team comes as news that shouldn't surprise anybody: the sci-fi MMO will be shutting its doors at the end of February 2009.

The remaining members of the Tabula Rasa team have formally announced that come February 28, 2009, NC Soft will be ending service for the struggling MMO.

"Last November we launched what we hoped would be a ground breaking sci-fi MMO," the announcement [http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/message_from_the_tabula_rasa_t.html ] reads. "In many ways, we think we've achieved that goal. [...] Unfortunately, the fact is that the game hasn't performed as expected. The development team has worked hard to improve the game since launch, but the game never achieved the player population we hoped for."

While Kotaku is reporting [http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/information_for_our_subscriber.html] that along with closing of Tabula Rasa will come the loss of jobs as NC Soft plans to lay off an undetermined amount of employees as the project scales down.

On the subject of lay offs, spokesperson David Swofford told Kotaku, "We currently don't know how many people will be affected by that."

The end of Tabula Rasa has long since been expected, despite the noble efforts of its development staff over the past year. It was originally announced in 2001, which considering the current state of the MMOG genre, seems like eons ago, when games like Everquest, Ultima Online and Asheron's Call dominated the scene, although the concept of a sci-fi MMOG is still as fresh today as it was back then. Come launch day, one that even Garriott himself admitted was "rough," not even sending virtual cover girl Sarah Morrison to the naked halls of Playboy was enough to generate interest in the title.

Blixt

Nov 20, 2008
I think that is a ploy, and the give was the "free for the last month" part. If you get to play for free for one month, then take it away, a lot of people will want to play and then it will be popular again. Very sneaky

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
It's sad in a way that the MMO field just can't seem to sustain itself for any period of time. There are a lot of fantastic ideas put out my what at first appears to be very promising games and innovations...but in most cases they end up just not delivering.

Obviously taking WoW out of the equation, I am constantly puzzled by the continued demise of games.

Is it because they are rushed to market and drop being filled with bugs from day one (Matrix online, SWG, Hellgate?) Is it because players just get bored? Is it that the games just are innovative enough? Are we conditioned as players only to enjoy Fantasy settings?...I say this lastly because while I enjoy my WoW....I so despretly want a good game that is beyond the Fantasy genre. The only one that comes to mind that has actually lasted is CoH/CoV and maybe one can consider the ever chnaging incarnation of SWG...but Conan, LoTR, EQ,etc...ar we just stuck in a rut of Ogres and Elves?

With that in mind Marvel nixed there possible super hero entry (while there is hope with Champions and DCOnline), Sony's 'The Agency' appears to be on thin ice....(never a good sign). It just seems to me that 80% of these MMO crash and burn in a year or less, and others other than WoW are just on life support.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Blixt said:
I think that is a ploy, and the give was the "free for the last month" part. If you get to play for free for one month, then take it away, a lot of people will want to play and then it will be popular again. Very sneaky
This game was never popular.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
When MMOs shut down do they refund the money the players have put in? No? Then I think there should be a law against the developers shutting down the servers until they have at least gone bankrupt on the game.
But yes I agree, ploy for more numbers.
Why would a business want to go bankrupt on something that obviously isnt working? Also why do you believe you are entitled to having your money refunded if the MMO flops?

You pay by the month for an MMO, so as long as you have received all the months you have payed for then you shouldn't recieve a refund.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Alone Disciple said:
Is it that the games just aren't innovative enough? Are we conditioned as players only to enjoy Fantasy settings?

With that in mind Marvel nixed there possible super hero entry (while there is hope with Champions and DCOnline), Sony's 'The Agency' appears to be on thin ice....(never a good sign). It just seems to me that 80% of these MMO crash and burn in a year or less, and others other than WoW are just on life support.
I wouldn't consider EVE a fantasy MMO, and while it certainly isn't everybody's cup of tea its quarter of a million subscribers keep it afloat. (approaching 300,000 at present)

More Mass Appeal may be around the corner though as the "Walking in Stations" expansion should see the light next year, allowing players outside their starships for the first time.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Hey all. We had a bit of an author mix-up here and so myself and John wound up writing the same story at the same time. So by our powers combined, the story should be much more informative now. Sorry for the confusion, there.

One bit that got cut from my end was my experience with Tabula Rasa leading up to its launch. I had three opportunities within three years (two E3's and a GDC preview with Garriott himself) to check out Tabula Rasa and all three times it had been a completely different game.

Early in its development cycle, TR was practically Phantasy Star Online with a lot more action. And it was good. Later, it became a bit too much like Phantasy Star and it seemed as though it required less skill. That wasn't so good. Finally, a few months prior to its launch, it had become what every MMO became: World of Warcraft with [blank]. In this case, the [blank] was guns. Very disappointing.

Tabula Rasa isn't a bad game. It's just a novel concept wrapped in an all too conventional design. A lot of MMOs in the post-WoW era fall into this trap which is why games like Tabula Rasa can't manage to survive.

Oh, that and NC Soft isn't doing too hot themselves. Probably has something to do with it too.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Garriott himself is a wash up.

Tabula Rasa is a bad game, if it was a good game it wouldn't be shutting down a year after release IF THAT. Ultima online was so good at the time because it had zero competition in terms online games. People "liked" it because it was hardcore but for every person who liked it, there were ten dozen people who would have rathered play something more casual friendly.

If you are going to make an AAA title MMO you have to do it like WoW. Take everything thats good in a game then add to it. Don't release a game with a shitty chat interface, no customizable UI, no "auction house" type of system. When the entire MMO player base is playing WoW you got to make a game that looks and feels like WoW.

Until Warcraft is done, MMOs can't just be "decent" or "good" they have to be amazing. Oh they should also try not to release there games when they are clearly NOT FINISHED and 2 months before a WARCRAFT EXPANSION. Nice one EA Mythic.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The WoW model: Company makes game, puts all their resources into making it something people want to waste their lives on, builds giant playerbase, prints money.

Most other MMO makers' model: Hey look, these MMOs are selling like hotcakes, company makes half-assed "me too" product, gamers look at it, think "this game is shit", nobody plays it, game goes down the rabbit hole.

MMOs, "casual" games, tycoon games, generic shooters; every genre's had its share of shovelware thanks to companies completely failing to understand their market.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Revelo said:
I wonder what Yahtzee has to say about this. I can see the smirk on his face.

Thing is it's not surprising, WoW eats up all the market and i reckon Age of Conan could be next, thats not had a peep out of AoC for ages.
My wife bought Age of Conan, played it, and went back to WoW as soon as her free month ran out. Said I, "Was that worth not having the money to go out to lunch with me for a month?"

(nothing against my beloved, but she's got serious impulse control problems and a bad case of greener-grass syndrome. That's how these hare-brained MMO schemes get started in the first place, developers bank on cashing in on the initial sales pitch and getting enough people to view it as sunk costs so they keep playing.)

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Not a surprise really. I had a lot of hype for this game. I only played it to level 10. It was appalling.