PETA Requests Cooking Mama: Vegetarian Kitchen

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
PETA Requests Cooking Mama: Vegetarian Kitchen

The bizarre, blood-soaked Thanksgiving exchange between PETA and Mama continues...

A surprising back and forth volley between the animal right's activist organization and the fictional cooking game character this week culminated in a request for Majesco to produce a vegetarian-only version of the publisher's popular Cooking Mama [http://www.cookingmamacookoff.com/] series.

Spurred by the inclusion of numerous meat dishes in the Cooking Mama games and the approaching Thanksgiving holiday, PETA Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87569-Cooking-Mama-Responds-To-PETA]. Packed with militant vegetarian propaganda, the satirical Flash game depicts Mama as a knife-wielding, turkey massacring psychopath and features more blood spray than a slasher film. In Mama Kills Animals, players assemble a Thanksgiving dinner by violently disemboweling a turkey in a particularly sadistic manner.

Rather than opening a can of legal whup-ass, Majesco responded by plugging Cooking Mama World Kitchen [http://www.cookingmamaworldkitchen.com/home.php] and stating Mama believes good home cooking prepared with the best ingredients can make the world a happier place. The virtual culinary matron herself even chimed in, adding she supports the humane treatment of animals and would never put rat in her Ratatouille.

In a blog post yesterday [http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/11/cooking_mama_re.php], PETA's assistant marketing director Joel Bartlett dished out another heaping spoonful of meat is murder rhetoric at Mama. However, it didn't feature gore this time. "Based on your and Majesco's good-natured responses to PETA's game, I think you understand that although we made you into a demonic, knife-wielding maniac in Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals, we still love you," he said. "While we had a good time roasting you, the real purpose of our game, of course, was to bring to light some of the horrific practices of the turkey industry."

Additionally, Bartlett thanked Mama on behalf of the PETA team members who produced Mama Kills Animals for the hours of enjoyment they derived from playing through the different Cooking Mama games to prepare for making the parody. Just curious: If hardcore militant vegetarians played Cooking Mama games where they prepared meat in a virtual setting, isn't that like...blasphemy?

PETA also said it would ardently support and help promote a vegetarian Cooking Mama game. It urged Majesco to move forward with Cooking Mama: Vegetarian Kitchen. Can I smell a strangely lucrative partnership brewing in the kitchen?

Feb 13, 2008
"Based on your and Majesco's good-natured responses to PETA's game, I think you understand that although we made you into a demonic, knife-wielding maniac in Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals, we still love you,"

I think I've received similar responses from ex-girlfriends...

And they got a similar response...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Wow... I don't even know how to respond to this lastest round of antics from PETA.

Feb 13, 2008
Hold on...

"While we had a good time roastingHo ho you, the real purpose of our game, of course, was to bring to light some of the horrific practices of the turkey industry."

Which is why you showed your 'heroine' covered in blood and showed no link to the turkey industry at all?

I mean, you could go into battery farming, hormone pills, the fact their chests are built up to the point where they can't even walk or feed themselves, the fear of bird flu, transmission of deadly disease, poisonous excretion or any other of the problems, but decided just to convert Mama to Mother Bates?

Shum mishtake shurely?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
"Hey PETA, instead of suing your ass off like you rightly deserve we've decided to be civil and clever."

"Hey Majesco, if you really loved animals you would make some concessions to our cause you animal murdering mother fuckers."

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sigh. Majesco, it's time to give them the middle finger they so rightly deserve.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hold on...

"While we had a good time roastingHo ho you, the real purpose of our game, of course, was to bring to light some of the horrific practices of the turkey industry."

Which is why you showed your 'heroine' covered in blood and showed no link to the turkey industry at all?

I mean, you could go into battery farming, hormone pills, the fact their chests are built up to the point where they can't even walk or feed themselves, the fear of bird flu, transmission of deadly disease, poisonous excretion or any other of the problems, but decided just to convert Mama to Mother Bates?

Shum mishtake shurely?
Actually, if you completed one of the levels, your reward was a link to a PETA video about Turkey farming.

I didn't watch it though, I was too eager to play the next level, so I coudn't really comment on the content of the video.

I have to say the final, bonus level was a disappointment, you had to make a Tofu Turkey, which wasn't fun at all.

Overall I'd give the game 6/10. with points deducted for the anti-climatic final boss.

I think PETA rather shot themselves in the foot with that game, by making the 'cruel' acts too much fun to play, thus encouraging players to ignore their messages in a rush to play the next bloody mini-game.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Force Feed Meatloaf to a Fundamentalist Vegetarian begins now!
Fixed that for you.

As for the actual response by PETA, I can only shake my head in disgust. I wish they'd stop giving vegetarians a bad name, and start doing something that would actually help animals that suffer, instead of this bullshit.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i think the response should be that peta should fire and never hire anyone who has ever used or benefited from anything that was invented using animal testing

tho then they'd have no employees cause most medical stuff came about thru animal testing

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
The game is really funny. I dunno about making me hate the meat industry or not eat turkey, but I think it's hilarious. I hope they keep spoofing games, to be honest.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well atleast Majesco can say they tried to be civil with this matter but PETA had to go and do something stupid like this.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm surprised we haven't seen Shivari yet...
I was just trying to remember her username. She's exactly the sort of vegetarian I'd love to eat a Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Six Dollar Burger in front of while making orgasm noises between bites. Militant veggie-types bring out the sadistic streak in me.