New Hitman Trailer Brings the Guns and the Nuns

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Hitman Trailer Brings the Guns and the Nuns

Let's watch Agent 47 waste a squad of sexy, leather-clad nun assassins!

I suspect that this is a trailer bound to offend a few people, the sort of people who find offense easily and make noise about it when they do. The premise is fairly simple - a squad of assassins comes to kill 47 and ends up getting killed instead - but the devil, as they say, is in the details.

The women are dressed as nuns, for no particular reason, until they shed their habits just before battle and reveal the sexy leather lingerie underneath, also for no particular reason. The battle itself is explicitly, lovingly violent - check out that broken nose! - which is fine, except that... well, when you get right down to it, 47 is dropping the hammer on a bunch of nuns. Expensive hooker-assassin nuns with an RPG, sure, but for some folks that's probably just splitting hairs.

The whole thing is weird. I have no doubt that Square was aiming for a hip, edgy, cinematic explode-o-rama and I suppose it's on the mark as far as that goes, but the shift from nuns to light S&M to graphic beatdown seems unnecessarily provocative, and not in a good way. It's pretty obviously designed to make people react rather than think, and that's a risky approach even without a wholesale massacre of sexy nuns with big guns.

Hitman: Absolution [http://www.amazon.com/Hitman-Absolution-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0H2G0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338388769&sr=8-3-fkmr0] is set to come out on November 20 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Wasn't Hitman a stealthy kinda game? I played part of Blood money and don't see where this would come in.
I've heard people say Absolution is looking to be terrible I think they may be right.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Hitman is dead to me.

Im going to replay Blood Money to make the pain go away.

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
Looks like fun.
Also, the black one was the last to die! How often does THAT happen!!??

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I...

Uh...

Okay, just what the fuck was that?

And here's me half-heartedly defending this game on the forums. I think I'll be jumping the fence right about now.

Also, what is it with sexualizing nuns? Have these people ever seen a nun? 'Cause I have and, let me tell you, sexualizing them is like sexualizing grandmothers. It just doesn't work.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
One has to wonder where nuns find the time to get in such peak physical shape.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Dubya Tee Eff?

Did Hitman at some point get mixed up with the Saints Row series?

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Guys can we at least hold off the hate till actual game play is out? from the few bits of game-play I've seen it is still stealth based, you can shot your way out but you could do that in the other games too, but your score and money suffer and that's probably how it works here to.

Again I'm not saying you have to like the game but can we hold off calling BETRAYAL! till we actually see the game, and how it all works?

If it does suck though I will be here calling BETRAYAL! with you.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Dandark said:
Wasn't Hitman a stealthy kinda game? I played part of Blood money and don't see where this would come in.
I've heard people say Absolution is looking to be terrible I think they may be right.
Think back to the very last mission of Blood money, not exactly stealthy..

I'm still optimistic, could be a reverse Dead Island trailer sort of deal.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Gabanuka said:
How did you get from Blood Money to this? Serious? Anyone?
Very last mission in bloody money was the exact opposite of stealth. Did that mean that the rest of the game was stealth free?

Let's hold off till we get some decent gameplay trailers, then we can start to make an informed opinion of things.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Who spilled their "Sucker Punch" and "Kill Bill" all over my sneaky assassin gameplay?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
The franchise seems to have gone from "Stealthy game with Wacky elements" to "Let's just put wacky things in for the sake of it"

Taking this advertisement with a pinch of cyanide for now.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
That's just tasteless. The vague burning crucifix in the last 30 seconds or so of video is even worse. Neon Genesis Evangelion called, they want their pretentiousness back.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Love the people freaking out over this. The Hitman games were always silly and unrealistic. You guys already forget that 47 is a genetically engineered clone? Or that one level in Silent Assassins where you fought against ninjas? And who could forget the Meat King level in Contracts not to mention the Heaven/Hell party in Blood Money? Hitman has always been ridiculous. Sexy Nun Assassins are par the course for the Hitman games.

And the Hitman games have never been a true stealth series like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid. A true stealth game penalizes you for picking up a double barreled shotgun and shooting your way through a level causing all kinds of mayhem. Hitman doesn't. Stealth has always just been an option.