UPDATE: E3: Microsoft Touts Exclusive DLC Deals

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
UPDATE: E3: Microsoft Touts Exclusive DLC Deals

[img_inline src="http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/87/87669.jpg"]
The biggest games this year will have DLC on the Xbox first.

Several games previewed at Microsoft's E3 press conference this morning will have exclusive timed DLC for the Xbox 360.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 6 will have timed-release DLC, meaning for those wanting to get a jump on any extra content available for the titles will need to purchase an Xbox 360 or wait a few weeks.

Timed DLC exclusives aren't exactly anything new, with big titles like Battlefield 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112609-Skyrim-DLC-Will-Be-Timed-360-Exclusive] having released platform-specific content weeks ahead of other platforms. However, the rise in timed DLC could signify a new front in Sony and Microsoft's fight over exclusive game releases and content.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 will be available on November 13, 2012, Tomb Raider the 5th of March, 2013, and Resident Evil 6 on the 2nd of October 2012. All three titles will be available for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

UPDATE: THQ has confirmed that the first three DLC packs for the upcoming comedy-RPG South Park: The Stick of Truth will release for the Xbox 360 before any other platform. The game, being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, is scheduled to launch on March 5th, 2013.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
This just pisses me off. The the max. It makes me think of that charater from Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged. "Screw the rules! I have money!"

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Really M$??

I wonder how much money they shelled out to get dibs on DLC..

But since I rarely buy my games at launch anymore, and don't own a 360 anymore this isn't a big issue for me.

Nov 28, 2007
Everyone upset about Microsoft doing this, I have a question. If it was Sony instead of Microsoft, would you be calling Sony greedy, or calling them $ony?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Honestly, these sorts of underhanded tactics make me feel less inclined to support the system.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
So the developers lose sales of the DLC itself, but make it up with Microsoft's money. Fair trade-off.

Microsoft loses money on these bribes, but expects to make it up with the people that feel timed exclusives are worth the price of an XBox. Acceptable trade-off.

The XBox customers are unaffected. They get their DLC at a normal time.

The PS3 and PC customers are negatively affected by Microsoft's bribe delaying the DLC for them.

In the end, people are negatively affected.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Everyone upset about Microsoft doing this, I have a question. If it was Sony instead of Microsoft, would you be calling Sony greedy, or calling them $ony?
Yes most people would say that, but Sony aren't doing this (at least so far as I know) so what exactly is your point?

Putting money towards timed DLC is all well and good if they've got it but it would be so much better if they put it towards a new IP, something other than more Halo and Gears of War.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I don't see why this is such a big issue with anyone. Various publications often pay rights to exclusive stories or interviews before their rivals. How is wanting to have an exclusive in our chosen form of media different? To me it is exactly the same, and all the whining sounds like it's coming from people who don't already have a subscription to the publication that got the rights to the exclusive.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is a pain in the ass. But it will not change. MS pays them money for exclusive DLC timing. And no one is going to boycott the games over it, so it's win win for the companies that participate in this. I am looking forward to RE6 on the PC, but we don't get DLC for RE games. But I do not personally have a 360 and they are the only ones who do that as of now. A valuable tool for the platform producer is an annoying prospect for the gamers. It's so annoying.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
I don't see why this is such a big issue with anyone. Various publications often pay rights to exclusive stories or interviews before their rivals. How is wanting to have an exclusive in our chosen form of media different? To me it is exactly the same, and all the whining sounds like it's coming from people who don't already have a subscription to the publication that got the rights to the exclusive.
Well, I do not have to shell out $200 for the Xbox, $60 for the game, and an additional $10 maybe more for the DLC.

I know it makes sense in terms of business, which is why they are announcing it before the DLC's drop so that people who were on the fence will turn towards the Xbox, but in the end it is temporally denying me access to a product I want for the platform of my choice.

That is bad and that makes me sad and annoyed.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
Mumorpuger said:
Well, I do not have to shell out $200 for the Xbox, $60 for the game, and an additional $10 maybe more for the DLC.

I know it makes sense in terms of business, which is why they are announcing it before the DLC's drop so that people who were on the fence will turn towards the Xbox, but in the end it is temporally denying me access to a product I want for the platform of my choice.

That is bad and that makes me sad and annoyed.

I think the key word here is "temporary."

Sad and annoyed sure, I can understand that entirely. I'm just irritated with the concept of people claiming Microsoft is being greedy and such for simply doing a practice that has existed for a long, loooong time.