UPDATE: E3: Microsoft Touts Exclusive DLC Deals

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Everyone upset about Microsoft doing this, I have a question. If it was Sony instead of Microsoft, would you be calling Sony greedy, or calling them $ony?
Absolutely.. I am totally against paying 1/3 the price of the full game at release for DLC of any type. I prefer to play the game as it was released. If the devs provide free DLC that is a game changer then sure ill get it but I wont pay for it.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
I wonder just how much this benefits Microsoft, to what extent I mean.
Surely most of the people who are wised up on this sort of news are a little pissed off/disgusted by this.
The people who aren't probably won't notice a thing and buy the content on their preferred platform.
Of course there is the demographic with enough disposable income to afford at least two of the platforms and will most likely only have one copy of the game and so will buy the DLC for whatever platform their copy is on (unless of course they buy most of their games on 360 for reasons just like this).

I'm sure it does benefit them in some way I'm just curious about how much.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Wait a minute....

Doesn't Microsoft produce Windows?

Why is the PC being negatively effected?
Microsoft makes significantly less profit from the PC format, nor is any of it under Microsoft's control.

Their last attempt at this was "Games for Windows Live".

Rather than bringing the Xbox brand into PC gaming, they've forcefully kept them very seperate and payed no attention to what PC gamers want.

Microsoft wants its gamers to be using Xboxs, basically.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Why not take the money your using to aquire the timed DLC and work on a half-decent exclusive Microsoft?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I could give a fuck less about the games mentioned in the article with the sole exception of Skyrim, so this doesn't really bother me.

thebobmaster said:
Everyone upset about Microsoft doing this, I have a question. If it was Sony instead of Microsoft, would you be calling Sony greedy, or calling them $ony?
Agreed. I can totally see the tables being flipped if the situation you describe arises. In fact, it's happened more than a few times in the past and nobody either remembers any of it, or they choose not to acknowledge it (Arcana Heart 3 is a good example - the game was released on the PSN but not for the XBLA, despite the game being available for both systems in its native Japan).

I think since mostly everyone is over ME3, everyone just needs something new to complain about. [shrugs]

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
It seems the console war have taken a new turn, developers want to go multiplatform because it was more money for them. So consoles lost exclusives and couldn't fight each other that way, now it seems they've found a new way to fight.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I only care about Skyrim and I'm not an impatient child so I can wait an extra month easily.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
My impression of the Microsoft Exec who came up with this:
"Derrrrp, let's make the worst possible choice we could in this situation and cause consumer backlash in the form of bitter resentment over waiting months for DLC on their platform of choice, what a GREAT idea! DEEEERRRRRP!"

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
The BIGGEST annoyance about this for me is just how little of a market this deal is trying to grab, I mean think about it realistically, how many people actually have the luxury of choice between consoles? I mean I personally do (or at least did before my PS3 kicked the bucket) But im a 17 year old with way too much disposable income (I dread the day I have to start paying rent).

In reality its working class families that take up a good majority of the market who simply couldn't justify owning more than one console, So I really have to ask how much money they're actually making from this, and isnt this really just an unnecessary annoyance for everyone?

But hey, whatever pays the bills for development studios I guess.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
So this is what it's come to. Game companies can no longer afford exclusive games, so they have exclusivity for half games XD

Seriously though, I can't see PS3 only owners going out of their way to buy a 360 for a few bits of dlc. People who really prefer the PS3 are just going to wait a bit longer for it.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
So we're supposed to be getting excited over extra stuff for games that haven't even come out yet? How does that work? The only way I'm going to buy dlc is if the core game is so good that I want more...and that rarely happens.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
thebobmaster said:
I have and would.

Look it's pretty clear why people don't like this. When you're hiring people, publishing games, offering advertising benefits, slashing prices, add features to your online, making your online free whatever, these are all activities that Sony and Microsoft do to compete, that benefit us.

However when Sony or MS go down the timed DLC route (And Sony did do it with Ghostbusters and I think Arkhum Asylum) whats happening is Sony or MS are paying a developer to make the experience less fun for half the people who bought it. They aren't bringing any advantage to their own people, instead they're spending money just making it worse for other people so that they look better

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Sooo, all this means is any plans I ever had of getting an Xbox are postponed forever? Before anyone says anything, I'd call this bullshit no matter who was doing it. It isn't because it is Microsoft, it is because it is bullshit.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Here's the Microsoft: You'll actually have to get me interested in buying those games first. This is not the way to do that.
That isn't Microsoft's unless it is an exclusive they just want you to buy multiplatform games or the Xbox as opposed to PS3 or PC

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Seriously, PS3 and PC gamers should be thankful for this. That way, we're forced to wait for the DLC, at which point in time enough reviews'll be out to judge the quality at least somewhat accurately. Always look at the bright side and stuff ;)

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
At first I was like oh I don't really care for those games then I read the part about the new Obsidian South Park RPG then I was like SHIT!

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Thats cool I guess I'll just wait a while and buy the games cheaper on eBay. Since I'm not getting the full game on release and am having to wait; my money apparently isn't as valuable.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
So why isn't anyone blaming publishers who take these bribes? For example, Bethesda fucked over PC and PS3 owners when they agreed to Microsofts bribe. You want this to stop, point two fingers.