Neversoft Drafted Into Call of Duty Development Army

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Neversoft Drafted Into Call of Duty Development Army

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater developer, Neversoft, is now working on Call of Duty content.

You remember Neversoft right? After being picked up by Activision in 1999, the California-based developer struck gold with the excellent Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. It continued to pump out Tony Hawk titles on a yearly basis until Robomodo took over following a string of underwhelming titles. When Activision and Harmonix parted ways, Neversoft took over the Guitar Hero franchise. It released games on a yearly schedule until Activision put the series on hiatus back in 2010. Now, according to job listings on its website, Neversoft has been set loose on the Call of Duty series.

"We have molded our team into a crack squad of eager developers ready to push the first-person action genre in support of Activision's Call of Duty franchise," reads the website.

The developer is looking for a Senior Level Designer, Senior Environment Artist, and Senior Concept Artist. While Neversoft has supposedly been working on a "space FPS" for the past two years, the developer has only produced a handful of shooters in its 17-year history (one of which was the quite serviceable Gun).

No other details were given, so it's unclear if Neversoft will be producing stand-alone entries in the series, spin-offs or just helping Infinity war and Treyarch with their respective titles.

Source: Neversoft [http://www.neversoft.com/]

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Okay, so I've not played an iteration of this game since the original. Is the series really so generic that they can literally toss it to any developer they have laying around?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Maybe this is a good thing. What if they make the next Call of Duty and it turns out to be actually good because it will incorporate the use of skateboards and you do tricks to earn cash to buy weapons? Genuis!

.......I'm writing that down.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
sweet! if they time this right, they can make release a call of duty EVERY 6 MONTHS!

If any company can ware out a license its Neversoft!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Waaghpowa said:
Maybe this is a good thing. What if they make the next Call of Duty and it turns out to be actually good because it will incorporate the use of skateboards and you do tricks to earn cash to buy weapons? Genuis!

.......I'm writing that down.
Is this why they hired Ollie North as a consultant?
Didn't you know? He's an expert on Skateboard warfare!

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
There better be DLC where I can Kickflip over a terrorist and shoot him in the head while Superman plays.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Let's hope Neversoft can grind out a good game from this series.

I just have one question for Neversoft. Will Guerilla Radio be in the game soundtrack?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Okay, so I've not played an iteration of this game since the original. Is the series really so generic that they can literally toss it to any developer they have laying around?
Pretty much, yes. Just throw enough money and polish at it. It's just grunt force coding/modeling work. At least battlefield 3 did something interesting with it's physics engine

PS: Why picture of THREW IT ON THE GROUND guy?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
ThePS1Fan said:
This is what I expect to see.
Don't disappoint me.
Where the hell did that come from? There's no way someone could throw that together since this story came out.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
*Reads article to make sure is not hallucinating*

*Tries to formulate an opinion but the retarded logic of Activision is too stunning*

*Sheds a single tear, while mumbling about squeaky wheels*

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
I'm hoping activision went over there and said "Guys, take everything Treyarch and Infinity Ward is doing and just ... well, ignore it. Go nuts!"

Eh, who am I kidding? Inb4 CoD Clone Creator #3

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
So, we can prepare to see the Call Of Duty series explode, can't we? The only reason the bubble hasn't burst yet is because Activision only release one a year, which I think is why EA's sports games still continue to do so well year upon year. But, as FogHornG36 says
FogHornG36 said:
sweet! if they time this right, they can make release a call of duty EVERY 6 MONTHS!
This'll work for Acti in the short term but then I can definitely see the audience getting sick of buying new CoDs. If anything, this'll just accelerate the decay of the CoD franchise.

That, or it'll be yet another studio brought on to help Infinity Ward. That's probably more likely.