Neversoft Drafted Into Call of Duty Development Army

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Considering Neversoft seemed to of killed not only Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series but also the Guitar Hero series, I'm finding this somewhat hilarious. Especially since I'd argue the last time Neversoft made a good game it was 2005 (with Gun), and maybe 2007 (Guitar Hero 3) ignoring the fact they didn't really change much from Guitar Hero 2 and got absolutely wrecked compared to Rock Band. If they manage to kill Call Of Duty, I'm not sure if I'd slap them or shake their hands for the stupidity that would have to be preformed considering Call Of Duty is an incredibly safe series.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Riobux said:
Especially since I'd argue the last time Neversoft made a good game it was 2005 (with Gun), and maybe 2007 (Guitar Hero 3)
To be fair to them, the latter Tony Hawk games were pretty solid skating games that managed to recapture some of what made the earlier games great. Then the license was pulled from them and given to Robomodo who shat out the abysmal Ride.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Okay, so I've not played an iteration of this game since the original. Is the series really so generic that they can literally toss it to any developer they have laying around?
More than likely, yes. I base that opinion off the fact that I stopped playing CoD due to its repetitiveness and apparent lack of quality assurance with titular multiplayer balancing, and glitches in MW2; and the fact that if you do something you like too much, it fails to stimulate (CoD 1, 2, 4 and regrettably 6).

I'd hypothetically bet money on it that Halo 3: ODST contained more changes in its code to Halo 3 than MW3 had to MW2. ODST sold at budget price on release.

As much as people ***** about EA, I actually dislike Activision more because:

Driving a franchise into the ground in an attempt to cash in big and quick is the most selfish and anti-consumerist thing I think a publisher can do. I see EA sports in the same light, but they aren't quite as bad because it's dedicated development teams studying each changing year of the sport and making a new game out of it. I hate them too and if I buy a sport game I wait at least 3 years, but with CoD, 3 years later still isn't enough.

CoD, to me, is just "lets add an expansion pack's worth of content, polish the shit, give it a once-over for QA then sell it off again for full price before working on the next one".

Now I wish to never speak of this again. I've raged all too much on the subject for way too long in the past. Lets just enjoy the games we like, where weak or stale franchises die off and maybe game-makers at large will learn from it.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
kajinking said:
ThePS1Fan said:
This is what I expect to see.
Don't disappoint me.
Where the hell did that come from? There's no way someone could throw that together since this story came out.
I first saw it here [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/kevud/what_i_remember_most_about_tony_hawk_pro_skater/]. Not sure about him.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Unrelated, but isn't that picture from The Lonely Island? What's it doing here?

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Irridium said:
ThePS1Fan said:
Don't disappoint me.
I would buy this.

Just puttin' that out there.
I would HATE to encounter someone using Commando Pro PLUS Extreme Conditioning on THAT
That would suck massive balls! well suck more than what the COD series usually suck at present

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
kajinking said:
ThePS1Fan said:
Don't disappoint me.
Where the hell did that come from? There's no way someone could throw that together since this story came out.
It was on reddit for maybe 2-3 hours before The Escapist reported on this.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I for one am interested in seeing how a developer known primarily for skateboarding and rhythm games will handle an FPS and want to see if they'll bring anything interesting to the table.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I lament the golden days of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, the time before the descent to the dark era for the franchise

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Marathon Pro - Pressing Sprint now spawns a skateboard for you to cruise around in. Skateboard for an unlimited duration.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Okay, so I've not played an iteration of this game since the original. Is the series really so generic that they can literally toss it to any developer they have laying around?
It is joked as being the new Madden. In short it comes off as a game with massive graphical prowess, but basal gameplay stuck somewhere near the original Unreal Tournament era.

Single player just makes me feel like a war veteran recruited from the retirement home. I'm apparently the only one that can use a gun to any effect, but my arthritis prevents me from opening doors and operating sensitive equipment forcing me to wait for the tagalong to do everything.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Maybe this is a good thing. What if they make the next Call of Duty and it turns out to be actually good because it will incorporate the use of skateboards and you do tricks to earn cash to buy weapons? Genuis!

.......I'm writing that down.
gamepro once had an april fools issue that blended medal of honor with ssx tricky, and it sounded amazing. I would totally play a nazi murder/skateboard simulator. instead of secret tapes, you find the secret communique. get major air to snipe all the soldiers! the trenches are a series of steep half-pipes

But in all seriousness, Neversoft is still a thing? MAKE GUN 2, YOU BASTARDS!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
I'm inclined to say no. The whole franchise since Modern Warfare has a kind of conspiracy theorist's kitchen sink approach. But, it looks like Acitivision is doing exactly what you're seeing.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Scars Unseen said:
It is joked as being the new Madden. In short it comes off as a game with massive graphical prowess, but basal gameplay stuck somewhere near the original Unreal Tournament era.

Single player just makes me feel like a war veteran recruited from the retirement home. I'm apparently the only one that can use a gun to any effect, but my arthritis prevents me from opening doors and operating sensitive equipment forcing me to wait for the tagalong to do everything.
You forgot the part where your retirement home soldier also has dementia, and is still convinced the Russians are behind everything. :p

But, yeah, well said.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
When Neversoft used to make Tony Hawk games, I swear Activision got nowhere near the amount of bad press they get now. Has it really come all from Call of Duty? Or was I just less aware of the world?