UK Considers Fees For Appealing Accusations of Piracy

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
UK Considers Fees For Appealing Accusations of Piracy

Pay twenty pounds to prove you're not a pirate.

One of the unintended consequences of addressing piracy is that it can easily make victims of paying customers. Those of us who legitmately purchase every game we play are confronted with intrusive DRM solutions designed for pirates, which can make us feel like we're viewed as potential pirates ourselves. Sorting out who is a pirate without punishing legitimate users is a very difficult balancing act with no easy solution, but that doesn't stop people from trying. For example, a new easy solution has been put before the United Kingdom: "Put your money where your mouth is. Pay twenty pounds to prove you're not a pirate."

The concept is part of legislation recently presented to Parliament regarding enforcement of the United Kingdom's Digital Economy Act. Here's how it works: if an Internet Service Provider has reason to suspect you of pirating material, they will send you a letter informing you of the suspicion and details on where to find licensed material. Once you've received three of these letters within a year, copyright holders can start requesting account-holder information. (It should be noted that the account-holders name will be withheld unless the copyright holder can obtain a court order.) So far this isn't completely unreasonable, as it at least attempts to address the rights of both consumers and copyright holders.

But let's go a step further. Suppose that you're actually not a pirate; you've received the letter in error for some reason and you'd like to appeal before you reach that third notification. If that's the case you have twenty days to pay twenty pounds, otherwise your appeal won't even be heard. In short, you need to pay money to prove you paid money for something else.

Creative Industries Minister Ed Vaizey is supporting the idea, saying "We must ensure our creative industries can protect their investment. They have the right to charge people to access their content if they wish, whether in the physical world or on the internet."

Of course, not everyone is pleased. "Copyright infringement is not to be condoned," said Consumer Focus Chief Executive Mike O'Connor, "but people who are innocent should not have to pay a fee to challenge accusations. Twenty pounds may sound like a low sum, but it could deter those living on low-incomes from challenging unfair allegations."

What remains to been seen is how Internet Service Providers will react, since they may actually stand to suffer the most. If this policy is implemented, they will be expected to cover all associated operational costs and be responsible for taking action against repeat offenders, which would be costly and time-consuming at best. In the meantime, we'll have to wait to see if any further revisions will be made before the policy is implemented in 2014.

While we're on the subject, doesn't the phrase "twenty days to pay twenty pounds" just sound right for a pirate movie?

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18594105>BBC via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-26-uk-govt-suspected-pirates-will-have-to-pay-to-defend-themselves>Eurogamer

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Are they gonna charge the ppl making the accusations too? sounds pretty retarded to be so unilateral in their approach. If it cost the rights holder money too, then it solves the problem of the innocent being falsely accused. They would actually need a good reason to do so.

Just saying, fair is fair.

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
I'm calling it now, the UK is going to going crazy over piracy very soon, just like they did with the whole "Video Nasties" thing when VHS first came about....

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
This sounds suspiciously much like what I find in my spambox on a regular basis.

What's next? Government-led initiatives to let Nigerian princesses transfer money out?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait, wait...

I thought it was INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY...
Or is the UK deciding that Shari Law needs to be 'phased in'?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
That is like a cop giving you a ticket because he thought you were speeding, and you have to pay to prove that you didn't.

Trekkie

Sep 21, 2008
Tanis said:
Wait, wait...

There's no such thing as Habeas Corpus anymore. not as long and large businesses and organisations can "donate" millions of pounds to get politicians to act as puppets.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Hey Liberal Democrats, remember that first word in your name? I 'think' it's Liberal. Might want to, ya' know, start protecting our liberties.

Jan 12, 2012
Gah! This is kinda sickening. I could understand maybe applying a fee after the case, if it was found that you did in fact deserve the letter (at the judges discretion). But before, for Every case?

To the British Parliament:
The legal system is the basis for any and every kind of government; if you know how the laws work, you know how the country operates. By CHARGING PEOPLE MONEY TO DEFEND THEMSELVES LEGALLY, you are throwing away any pretense of having a government that supports and protects the people; you're just saying that only those with money have a right to legal protection. Kick the guy who proposed this in the bollocks, or drop the pretense of being a pseudo-democracy.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Erm, no, how about about you pay if you're GUILTY, not innocent, hmm? Bloody hell...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Guys, I have the- guys, guys, I hav- no seriously guys, I have the best idea ever... we'll let the people pay to stay out of jail. Guys, did you get that? This is brilliant!
And you know what? I'm already working on a new project: installing a money slot in every voting booth across the country! This is gonna be awesome, people will just love us I tell you.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I'm so happy to see that we still believe in 'innocent until proven guilty.'

Why do they need to pay £20? There doesn't seem to be any explanation other than 'we want your money.'

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
£20 heh, nice little scam there, trust an corrupt UK governmet to make an industry out of anything

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Haha, what is this shit?!
Who the fuck could possibly think that this is a good idea?!

Fanghawk said:
Creative Industries Minister Ed Vaizey is supporting the idea...
Ah. This explains everything.

Tanis said:
Wait, wait...

I didn't realise the Grauniad and the Daily Fail were sold in the USA. Huh.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. How about we be reasonable and say that the people doing the accusing must pay the fee. After all, they are the ones who are potentially causing the issue, not the user. And then if the person is proven guilty, they must reimburse the accuser for the $20.