UK Considers Fees For Appealing Accusations of Piracy

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Lethos said:
Hey Liberal Democrats, remember that first word in your name? I 'think' it's Liberal. Might want to, ya' know, start protecting our liberties.
They don't really have a say in anything, the Conservatives make all the important decisions and force them to go a long with it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, sadly, I feel the Lib Dems went into this coalition in a bid to temper the Conservatives urges to dismantle the NHS, schools, welfare etc, but just seem to be there to be the faces reporting the bad news, a hired scapegoat.

However, this is very similar to something else they're trying to push thru.

Their current tests to get people off disability and sickness benefits, you may have heard of them, a private company already thrown out of America for ineptitude has been hired for £100 million a year, and is failing on 70% of cases.

The response to a 70% failure rate? Change the rules so that if you want to appeal the decision, you lose ALL benefits and are left with nothing to live on for possibly a year. Nice plan, take people who are crippled and some in constant pain, and when told they're fine by someone who's not even a doctor, and ignores the client's medical evidence, cannot now appeal against that decision.

Oh and I'm sure it's not relevant, but the people rejecting people's official doctor's records of sickness are getting a nice fat bonus for everyone they pass as 'fit for work'.

We're about one step away from simply taking your bank statement to court when accused of murder, if you have more money than the victim, hand it over and you must be innocent, because if you can pay, you must be too important to lock up.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Also, to be more on topic, how about we send in accusations of piracy about every MP in the country? Surely an unfounded accusation is enough, and I'll expect to hear that every single one has been followed up.

Maybe when they have personal experience of being falsely accused of piracy and have a £20 bill in their hand to prove their innocence, they'll maybe have a word about what a fuckwitted move this is.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Lets say you are innocent, and you outlay the 20. Also, you prove that you actually are innocent, you can make the losing party cover your legal fees including the outlay of the initial 20.

captcha: genghis khan, odd foreboding.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, I'm sorry. I must have come the wrong way, as this appears to be the set of Catch-22 with Captain Black's glorious loyalty oath campaign.

If that is the case, then allow me to introduce myself: I am Major ___ de Coverley.

Gimme eat.

Give EVERYBODY eat.

And trouble us no further with this crap.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Guess 'innocent until proven guilty' won't apply in some cases pretty soon then. Good to know ¬_¬

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Well I can't see see this being easily used to scam people, no sir.

It's 2:30 in the morning, but I'm fairly confident this is the most moronic thing I'm going to read all day.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Letter to MP,

"Dear Mr Vaizey, I believe that last week, you were caught in sexual congress with a goat. If however this is untrue, then please forward twenty pounds to my address and we'll forget all about it."

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
Lethos said:
Hey Liberal Democrats, remember that first word in your name? I 'think' it's Liberal. Might want to, ya' know, start protecting our liberties.
They don't really have a say in anything, the Conservatives make all the important decisions and force them to go a long with it.
Yeah it's kind of a pain in the ass. I don't want to vote for either Labour or the Torys, and the only party I like seems intent on making sure they will never be reelected

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Isn't that a little "Guilty until proven innocent"? It's got to be against some sort of bill of rights in the UK

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
I'm assuming sooner or later some lawyers will jump all over this one and the courts will strike it down. Stupid it was even suggested but sometimes these things seem to be good ideas to the people who come up with them.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Oh no this is perfect. Let them pass it. then file 10 billion individual claims of copyright against the copyright holders. Let them impale themselves on their own sword.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
What really bites here is the taxpayer money wasted in the process. The accused has to fork over only 20 pounds once per allegation. Meanwhile, when you consider all the civil labor and supply used in the process, that's probably about 1000 pounds spent per allegation, taking into account all three warnings before the accused responds.
Unless the plaintiffs are forking over all the court fees from the get-go, and I doubt it, this is likely to balloon into a big budget deficit in no time.
There are no winners in this.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yep.. given that this is being considered must mean that it is working.

Must mean everything is right with the world and going according to plan. I really hope I can live on this planet for ever.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
See? It's not JUST our government here in the United States that makes FUCKING RETARDED decisions. You silly brits are just really, REALLY good at hiding it.