UK Considers Fees For Appealing Accusations of Piracy

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
You can pay if you want to. Leave your rights behind. Because people pirate and if they pirate then you should pay the fine.

You can pay if you want to. Leave your rights behind. Liars and hypocrits, corrupting politics, with them no crime to find.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
hmm... I heard the UK government was cash-strapped, but this goes beyond all reason.

So the doctors are on strike, the public workers are unhappy, the government itself has had to take a pay cut, and more taxes are being planned for the public, and then there is this.

Seriously, what the heck did you do with your moneys???

Wishing you weren't led into pointless extended wars by Big Brother, are we now?

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Guilty until proven innocent?

Bullshit. Why does every government continue to ignore civil liberties, such as privacy, when it comes to digital rights?

Legislation like this is continually demonising the innocent and allowing the thieves to get away scot-free.

Shifting the responsibility from pillar to post between ISP's, government and everyone else just leaves gaps that the amoral simply waltz through.

Government and big business need to suck it up like adults and tackle this issue as equals, not rivals.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
How about...charge them 20 pounds if they lie about their appeal? Otherwise, charge the accuser far, far more for making a false claim against a person?

Is this not common sense? Do I have the ability to type in anything other than a question? Is the UK's stupidity limitless?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
SenorStocks said:
Regardless of whether or not I agree with you, that's pretty strongly worded. The other guy certainly deserves to be kicked off the internet for his...extremely off-base analogy, but I would recommend re-wording your post to at least not be as attacking to his character.

We should be civil in the face of users like him calling everyone twats.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Tanis said:
Wait, wait...

I thought it was INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY...
Or is the UK deciding that Shari Law needs to be 'phased in'?
Them damn Muslim communist Zionists!

Apr 5, 2008
When did the corporations win like this? I thought that ISPs would be able to remain free of this nonsense as they have resisted such measures being implemented until now. I'd call it a joke, but it isn't funny.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
"20 days, to pay 20 pieces of 8, Jack.."

OT: This is fucking stupid. When did the law here get so backwards? I can get less from manslaughter than I can copying some files, and now I may have to pay just to OPPOSE a false accusation, not even to prove, I could still get charged will it.

I liked the 3 letter thing though, seemed pretty good, though we're on something similar now, except now it's a bit stricter "get 2 letters, don't comply? No internet for you" or some such.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
How about '20 days to provide proof of purchase, or pay money equal to the RRP of the item'.
Getting people to pay more money for something that they payed for because their ISP made a mistake is totally unreasonable.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The article is incorrect. You don't pay 20 pounds to prove you're not a pirate, you pay 20 pounds for a CHANCE to prove you're not a pirate. If you don't pay, they'll just assume you're guilty...

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
"Twenty Days, Twenty Pounds" is a catchier title. People will just call it "Twenty Twenty" for short, regardless.

Hey, it was better than my initial want to complain about us as a species and how every time people object to copyright holders' treatment of them, they just find a new place to punch their consumers.

SenseOfTumour said:
"Dear Mr Vaizey, I believe that last week, you were caught in sexual congress with a goat. If however this is untrue, then please forward twenty pounds to my address and we'll forget all about it."
Also, this is the best response ever.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I think the general assumption is that if you get one of these letters then the chances are they are 99.9% sure you are pirating stuff. That £20 is most likely to stop people knee-jerking a reaction where by they take it to court only to get proven guilty after wasting everyone's time. Its kind of saying, "You can challenge this, but this £20 is the tip of the iceberg - you sure you want to go ahead with it?".

If you are innocent, the chances of getting 3 warnings is stupidly slim so its no concern if you get one. If you do get all three being innocent then just wait till the court case comes up and prove your innocence there.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
Wicky_42 said:
Erm, no, how about about you pay if you're GUILTY, not innocent, hmm? Bloody hell...
Because guilty people are renowned for their honesty...
Which is what we have a legal system for, surely? Not just what amounts to literal corporate extortion.